Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Ever since I've read it, I've maintained that Dr. Sleep is a good book, but not a good sequel. It was a story that didn't need to be told, but not one I'm disappointed in having read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BiggerBoat posted:

Got it.

I honestly can't think of a King novel that I wanted a sequel to. Or a movie for that matter.

Salem’s Lot is the only I could think of (yes I have read One For the Road and Jerusalem’s Lot). Honestly I would just like a novel about Hubie Marsten’s time in the Lot.

Also I wouldn’t mind if King would release the scrapbook from The Shining. I love reading the background of The Overlook.

Leavemywife posted:

Ever since I've read it, I've maintained that Dr. Sleep is a good book, but not a good sequel. It was a story that didn't need to be told, but not one I'm disappointed in having read.

Same.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 8, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t like Black House or Dr. Sleep and I loved the Shining and Talisman. King’s sequel game is not good (Dark Tower was a series not sequels).

But Dr. Sleep had to also live up to expectations being The Shining 2. No book is going to manage that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

King’s sequel game is not good (Dark Tower was a series not sequels).

But Dr. Sleep had to also live up to expectations being The Shining 2. No book is going to manage that.

Or film. A Shining follow up is just simply not needed or, to me, even desirable.

What other sequels has King done though? I know he'll sometimes weave stuff in and out of different books or build off a short story or something but I'm hard pressed to think of a direct follow up that wasn't some cheesy movie cash in like Children of the Corn 2,3,4, Carrie 2 or Pet Semetary 2.

I don't see where King even has a "sequel game" beyond Dr Sleep and Salem's Lot. I guess Desperation and The Regulators if you count those. I forgot about Black House. I can't think of one I'd want to read or that even opens itself up for a follow up...

I suppose you could gently caress around with Christine but meh...Maybe The Stand or IT you could do something with but I'm not clamoring for those either. I wish he could just drum up something that just flat out scares the poo poo of me for a change like he used to be so good at.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Or film. A Shining follow up is just simply not needed or, to me, even desirable.

What other sequels has King done though? I know he'll sometimes weave stuff in and out of different books or build off a short story or something but I'm hard pressed to think of a direct follow up that wasn't some cheesy movie cash in like Children of the Corn 2,3,4, Carrie 2 or Pet Semetary 2.

I don't see where King even has a "sequel game" beyond Dr Sleep and Salem's Lot. I guess Desperation and The Regulators if you count those. I forgot about Black House. I can't think of one I'd want to read or that even opens itself up for a follow up...

I suppose you could gently caress around with Christine but meh...Maybe The Stand or IT you could do something with but I'm not clamoring for those either. I wish he could just drum up something that just flat out scares the poo poo of me for a change like he used to be so good at.

He has surprisingly few sequels considering he's written 90+ books and they're 100% disappointing so it's probably good he doesn't do it very often.

I never read One For the Road so I'll have to see if that's any good.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think The Stand could be done, if it were years ahead in the timeline. The end of the novel had Flagg emerging from the water somewhere that the natives couldn't understand the half dozen languages he babbled at them. It would take him time to find people he could manipulate, and consolidate his power base. Then he may have to cross an ocean to get back towards Boulder.

In the meantime, Boulder and area prospers, but the divine nature of Mother Abigail and the miracles that saved people begins to dim in memory, until it is only legends that nobody believes really happened.

More years pass, farming communities grow, amd trade with each other. There's still danger from disease and fire, and the odd pack of bandits, but then one day, a few scouts are on the edges of their territory, and they run into a squad of Flagg's new crew. Maybe words are exchanged, or just violence, but now Boulder has a large and organized enemy coming to stamp it out.

Just a quick example of a direction they could go with, but I think there's more stories to tell in the ruins of a post- Captain Trips world.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Krispy Wafer posted:

He has surprisingly few sequels considering he's written 90+ books and they're 100% disappointing so it's probably good he doesn't do it very often.

I never read One For the Road so I'll have to see if that's any good.

One for the Road is very good, it's a story you can revisit every once in a while and still get scared a little bit.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd be down for a Stand sequel. Or hell, just make the book 1,000 pages longer. As a massive hypochondriac, the first 1/4th of that book is some of the scariest stuff I've ever read.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lester Shy posted:

As a massive hypochondriac, the first 1/4th of that book is some of the scariest stuff I've ever read.

Same. I catch a cold every time I read it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Stand extended version was King’s gift to us all.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m reading the extended version so I don’t know what was added and what wasn’t, and the only thing that feels aged is how information got out with tv and radio broadcasts. There is the weird part with the military execution event with the black soldier, because it’s mentioned as being on tv and Frannie sees it and thinks “no way would that be real and on tv”

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think The Cell really needs a sequel...

said no one ever.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

said no one ever.

4G(host)

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'm p.sure that what Cell needed was either a) an ending, or b) and editor strong enough tp go, enough of the bullshit, Steve-O, get this finished.

Or, you know, both.

Finally ploughed through the end of End of Watch - I can't remember a King that I had such difficulty finishing. I've got Revival on the bookshelf, waiting for me, but all this vintage King chat has got me looking to my broken-paperbacked Night Shift and Skeleton Crew.

ooh poo poo just checked and Night Shift has both Jerusalem's Lot and One For The Road. That cinches it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I’m reading the extended version so I don’t know what was added and what wasn’t, and the only thing that feels aged is how information got out with tv and radio broadcasts. There is the weird part with the military execution event with the black soldier, because it’s mentioned as being on tv and Frannie sees it and thinks “no way would that be real and on tv”

A lot of stuff when society is breaking down was originally cut out. You know, the best part of the book.

As for Frannie, I’m remembering correctly weren’t the bad guys almost naked? I’d be questioning reality in that circumstance.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Leavemywife posted:

My thoughts too. Well put.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

bobjr posted:

If I recall correctly, didn't The Wastelands have a similar scene during the Fall of Lud? Someone was leading people into a mechanical device that killed them horribly?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

If I recall correctly, didn't The Wastelands have a similar scene during the Fall of Lud? Someone was leading people into a mechanical device that killed them horribly?

If I remember correctly, it was a huge dude tossing people into one of those big industrial piledrivers, one after another. Then whoever saw the scene (can't remember if it was Eddie or Jake) notices that the people were all willingly lining up to be tossed in.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

They were also having multiple daily hangings when the drums started.

Which always irritated me a bit, seems that that even nearly mad people would: a) not put up with it for long and b) they’d soon find themselves running short of people.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Canuckistan posted:

said no one ever.

I bought Cell and From a Buick 8 for a dollar each at a charity shop.

They got the better end of the deal.

I caught the last 20 minutes of Cell on TV the other day. I will never get that time back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Cell was good when everyone was killing one another and then started going off the rails as soon as the Harvard zombie started talking. The ending sucked, but so did the middle.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Someone earlier in the thread wrote that Cell is a book that starts out good, and gets a little worse every chapter.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Krispy Wafer posted:

As for Frannie, I’m remembering correctly weren’t the bad guys almost naked? I’d be questioning reality in that circumstance.

Loincloths. FRONT AND CENTER PUH-LEEZE.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Someone earlier in the thread wrote that Cell is a book that starts out good, and gets a little worse every chapter.

This. It had a great start but I think the drop was more than a little and wasn't gradual. It was abrupt. I'll usually finish any book that gets me to read more than 1/4 of it but I never finished Cell, which is a shame because the first 3rd of it or so was fantastic and looked like it was going in a really exciting direction.

I've skimmed some of King's work on occasion (parts of 11/22/63) but pretty sure Cell was the only one I ever put down. I don't count The Talisman which I tried to read 2x and also couldn't finish.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I liked 11/22/63 a lot, but the idea that someone can kind of cheat history but has to be in that history for some time and deal with little problems is interesting to me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bobjr posted:

I liked 11/22/63 a lot, but the idea that someone can kind of cheat history but has to be in that history for some time and deal with little problems is interesting to me.

The idea of some rube just using it to buy cheap hamburger amuses me more

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

I guess this is true, but for me the drop off was exponential once the initial event was over and by the end of the first act who even gives a poo poo

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03MAkQ_OyM

this is doing a hell of a lot of work to make The Outsider look actually creepy and not just a Mr Mercedes spin-off

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vishass posted:

I guess this is true, but for me the drop off was exponential once the initial event was over and by the end of the first act who even gives a poo poo

The psychic zombie stuff was what pushed me over the edge on that one. Still finished it, because at least it was short, but it's probably my least favorite king book.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bobjr posted:

"No Great Loss" was cut from the original, so that alone is worth reading the unedited version, IMO.

Davros1 posted:

I had totally pictured the big dude from "Coach" as Tom Moon when I had read the book years before the miniseries.

Our dude's name is Tom Cullen (I'm acquainted with a Tom Cullen and I want to M-O-O-N him all the time) but that seems as natural a slip as one could make lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eat This Glob posted:

Our dude's name is Tom Cullen (I'm acquainted with a Tom Cullen and I want to M-O-O-N him all the time) but that seems as natural a slip as one could make lol

M-O-O-N; that's how you spell "D'oh!"

April
Jul 3, 2006

I've been in a funk reading-wise, where nothing new looks good, so I am re-reading Duma Key, and drat, I love it just as much as the first time. Sure a lot of the dialogue is unrealistic, but I love me some Wireman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

April posted:

I've been in a funk reading-wise, where nothing new looks good, so I am re-reading Duma Key, and drat, I love it just as much as the first time. Sure a lot of the dialogue is unrealistic, but I love me some Wireman.

I really liked almost everything about the book but drat if King wasn’t incredibly heavy handed with foreshadowing in that one.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked almost everything about the book but drat if King wasn’t incredibly heavy handed with foreshadowing in that one.

Yeah, I've rolled my eyes a few times, but the setting & characters & the creepy weirdness are more than enough to balance it out.

ETA: Also, the gallery art show scene was super-cringey. It was like an extended 80's sports movie slow clap. Still love it.

April fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 24, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm into the Boulder Free Zone part of the Stand and it's kind of weird how everyone just brushes off Harold as harmless or at least not worth immediately dealing with. Granted I think Frannie's chapters were among the best of the early parts but now Stu's kind of taken over for that part of the book.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think part of it may be people think that everyone in the BFZ thinks that they're the good guys, and all the bad people went west to be with Him. Therefore, Harold is good.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

bobjr posted:

I'm into the Boulder Free Zone part of the Stand and it's kind of weird how everyone just brushes off Harold as harmless or at least not worth immediately dealing with. Granted I think Frannie's chapters were among the best of the early parts but now Stu's kind of taken over for that part of the book.

I think it's weird how Harold is a 16 year old shut-in nerd and yet somehow he's the smartest person in the world and really good at everything, even niche physical stuff, and people keep trying to vote for him as an elder statesman of Boulder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dark Helmet said it best. Good is dumb.

BFZ is struggling to keep the lights on, Vegas has fighter jets.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Harold is a loser, but Hawk is a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I re-read Different Seasons for the first time in 25 years. Now during those 25 years I have re-read The Body and Shawshank, but never the whole thing during that time. Still great overall, but my favorite story this time was The Breathing Method. I want King to go back to the club again for a story (The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands is the only other story from the club). Hell I want to join the club now.