Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
anyways here's more cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Enchantment lands are go, now give us some dumb thing with affinity for enchantments so I can die of laughter.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

President Ark posted:

anyways here's more cards

MILL

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That's something I didn't notice at first. Mill as keyword is get another troll.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I legit want Xyru Specter and Pick Your Poison to be real cards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
make a cube specifically to put this in it

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Silhouette posted:

I legit want Xyru Specter and Pick Your Poison to be real cards

Xyru Specter mechanics in a heavy incidental mill / surveil / scry format... maybe the mechanic on that playtest discard guy where someone orders some or all cards from their hand and reveals them one at a time for someone else's decision... I'm not sure that it would be a good format but you'd remember it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Seriously these cards rule, and it’s retroactively making most recent sets seem worse because they churn out lovely +1/+1 mechanics instead of you know, cards that rule like these.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

meanolmrcloud posted:

Seriously these cards rule

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'd like to share what is possibly my finest creation to date:

I won zero die rolls, did not miss a land drop before turn 7 or 8 once, and went 7/1 anyway, with the 1 being an easy win on my end if I'd won the die roll or drawn more than literally zero spells.

P1P1 Awaken, basically mono-green through the pack. Lili P2P1, Command P2P2. Opened Bolas P3P1. I'm not going to not play Bolas. I only drew it twice but it never rotted in my hand. I even cast it turn 4 once. It died the next turn and I brought it back a few turns later and went on to win at one life. I won three of these games at one life. Almost every card in the deck had a pivotal role in winning at least one game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

meanolmrcloud posted:

Seriously these cards rule, and it’s retroactively making most recent sets seem worse because they churn out lovely +1/+1 mechanics instead of you know, cards that rule like these.

I think the font of form of Mulldrifter would be 1 pt.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you ever had to redo wasteland, wastes land is not too bad a way to do it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
MC 6 Richmond starts in 5 minutes at https://www.twitch.tv/magic

I feel I should point this out because unlike usual, the first three rounds on each day are the interesting ones, because Eldraine pod drafts in the age of Arena bots are gonna be way more interesting than a thousand Oko mirrors and maybe some red aggro or UW Control.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Panzeh posted:

If you ever had to redo wasteland, wastes land is not too bad a way to do it.

Land Enchantment - Aura

Enchant non-basic land.

Enchanted land is a Wastes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ItBreathes posted:

Land Enchantment - Aura

Enchant non-basic land.

Enchanted land is a Wastes.

this is worse because they can remove the enchantment.

what you described is just worse spreading seas.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

What CMC are you thinking? 1W?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

land tokens or things that fetch basics from outside the game are cool as hell and should be in zendikar 3.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Retromancer posted:

Sure, but cleaner, and they'd have to be playing enchantment removal. Give it hexproof if you want.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tibalt posted:

What CMC are you thinking? 1W?

Me? It's a land, it takes your land drop for the turn, no casting cost.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Scryfall’s playtest card gallery is up to 109 cards
https://scryfall.com/sets/mystpt

Yes!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Retromancer posted:

cant remove the enchantment if you waste their only source of colored mana to cast the removal spell

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Retromancer posted:

land tokens or things that fetch basics from outside the game are cool as hell and should be in zendikar 3.

Maro has said they’ve tested it and the problem was people accidentally shuffling those lands back into their deck between games.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Spreading Wastes, where it's Spreading Seas except costs 1C and turns the land into a Wastes instead of an Island, is a perfectly reasonable card to print and play in certain formats/decks. Evil Presence but Wastes instead of Swamp is just as bad a card as Evil Presence.

whydirt posted:

Maro has said they’ve tested it and the problem was people accidentally shuffling those lands back into their deck between games.

Seems fine now that you can play more cards than you started with game 1.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

whydirt posted:

How is this any different than any other token

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know if they'd consider giving token cards a different border cut to make them easier to differentiate from normal cards, but that's one potential solution if they're so worried about it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Easier to overlook. You're staring at your creatures, lands get piled / aren't a mental focus.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Everyone's going to use actual basic lands as the basic land token, and those have a magic card back and are (obviously) indistinguishable from your "real" basics.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Everyone's going to use actual basic lands as the basic land token, and those have a magic card back and are (obviously) indistinguishable from your "real" basics.

Again I don't really understand this argument. Anyone that's playing these in a real deck is either going to have their cards in sleeves or have their extra lands in different sleeves or whatever.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Again I don't really understand this argument. Anyone that's playing these in a real deck is either going to have their cards in sleeves or have their extra lands in different sleeves or whatever.

Except the newbie without sleeves who just added 4 lands accidentally but legally for the rest of the night, since continuous deck building is legit at casual REL

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

people playing at tournaments with carefully manicured decks are a very small minority of people playing the game

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's so much an issue of how as why. Making creature tokens open up a lot of design space. The design space between "create a forest token" and "fetch a basic from your deck" is too small to be worth the trouble.

Even that test card could just as easily be an artifact that adds a counter to itself in your upkeep and tap for G for each counter. Wastes Land could put a wastes counter on a nonbasic, making it only tap for a colorless. Those definitely are different than their test versions, but in most cases functionally the same without opening up players to game-loss mistakes.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So the cool playtest cards are only at the convention, the rest of us will have something worse in the spot.
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/188903438563/will-the-playtest-cards-be-available-in-the/amp
So I'm back to not caring about this.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean, we'll see what's there, but that's a massive bummer.

E:

Reddit posted:

The fact that we thought they did something right probably should have been our first clue something was not being said.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 8, 2019

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hyping up a product as a mystery, revealing it to have something cool then taking away the cool thing the next day is certainly a creative approach to marketing :psyduck:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Often referred to as “bait and switch”.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Als don't forget that the regular version won't be sold until loving March. I'll play a draft or two at GP Brussels in January and ignore the set otherwise I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I also enjoy new products that will never be on Arena.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

What, why even bother then?

Does that mean only one of each play test card is going to exist?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

vegetables posted:

Hyping up a product as a mystery, revealing it to have something cool then taking away the cool thing the next day is certainly a creative approach to marketing :psyduck:

They are printed versions of playtest proxies. Someone will collate a printable sheet to use in cube construction. We just miss out on the experience of fun, underdeveloped cards in our drafts. Looking over the list, it needs an audience that has memorized quite a few cards.

Otherwise, it's "Reprints: The Set - We aren't even going for a theme." It could still be a great thing depending on the reprints.