Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

evilweasel posted:

as a reminder: people picked hillary, the electoral college reversed their vote. hillary won by millions of votes, trump got elected because his votes were geographically dispersed better.

"My football team had more offensive yards, but the point scoring system invalidated their win."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

evilweasel posted:

re: the "new transcript"

I think he's just doing his best to muddy the waters at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheDisreputableDog posted:

"My football team had more offensive yards, but the point scoring system invalidated their win."

he's making an argument that implicitly assumes that trump was more appealing than hillary, when in fact the opposite is true

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Some people are really not going to be happy about this

Raising age to 21

Banning all flavir vapes

https://mobile.twitter.com/tictoc/status/1192831664914714624

He just lost Nevada and half the Republican's young base (all 12 of them).

I have never seen so many people vaping as I have in loving Nevada.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
kanye is and always has been christian, because like lots of black americans, his entire early social life revolved at least somewhat around church communities. He's also probably bi-polar and craves attention and affirmation from his fans. I think you guys are over complicating this

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

skylined! posted:

Wanting self-described Christians to actually uphold the teachings of Christ even performatively is not gatekeeping, and identifying modern American evangelism and the prosperity gospel as being wholly separate from what we know as the philosophical underpinnings of Christianity is not particularly controversial.

Also lmao where the gently caress have I described Christianity as needing only to apply to upper-class protestants, or white people? What is this strawman bullshit?

I am arguing that it's worth considering that what most Americans practice, especially those concerned with prosperity theology, is not actually a subset of Christianity but has evolved into a new religion itself.

What authority are you basing this on? What is "real" Christianity?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

skylined! posted:

Wanting self-described Christians to actually uphold the teachings of Christ even performatively is not gatekeeping, and identifying modern American evangelism and the prosperity gospel as being wholly separate from what we know as the philosophical underpinnings of Christianity is not particularly controversial.

It is when you assume the 'philosophical underpinnings of Christianity' are the ones you happen to agree with.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

evilweasel posted:

he's making an argument that implicitly assumes that trump was more appealing than hillary, when in fact the opposite is true

The election results don't actually show that, because both elections were run with the actual rules (the electoral college) in mind.

Had the election been a straight popular vote count, both sides would have operated completely differently, focused on different things.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Prester Jane posted:

Fake Edit: Also my hats off to IP for getting the resident lanyards in a tizzy by criticizing the privileged.

What's a lanyard?

I'm trolling you PJ. I don't ascribe to centerism or incrementalism as a virtue, it's just that we live in a real world that can and should be informed by ideals, but must deal with things as they are, not as you desire them to be. I'm glad you have strong opinions and I applaud your desire for direct action, but I don't think you will be successful.

Meatball posted:

The problem with slow progress is one bad election cam ser you back decades.

I don't think slow progress is a good thing, but there isn't another practical way unless you elect progressives. I mean look at public support for M4A and the green new deal now vs when Obama was first elected. We had tea partiers ranting about death panels but we got Obamacare which is objectively a good thing and has literally saved thousands of lives. Did it go far enough? No of course not but it was an improvement and thousands of people are alive because of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1192857033051181063

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1192857555862769664

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shbobdb posted:

What authority are you basing this on? What is "real" Christianity?
Whatever the Pope says it is because Deus vult!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

While I will happily call Joel Olsteen a false prophet and heretic, I do it partially ironic because discounting a person's faith is actually really lovely.

Kanye West is no Joel Olsteen.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why do they want to up the age limit to vape?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1192857222390407169?s=20

lol "absent yourself"

Edit: Also L-O-V-E love Jordan eating that poo poo.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 8, 2019

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The election results don't actually show that, because both elections were run with the actual rules (the electoral college) in mind.

Had the election been a straight popular vote count, both sides would have operated completely differently, focused on different things.

Yes and Hillary would have been more popular than Trump

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"REMOVE ME!"
"nah get out"
"...ok" :sigh:

If nothing else, Schiff is really good at making the GOP look like idiots and denying them their grandstanding moments.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 8, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Whatever the Pope says it is because Deus vult!

That's way closer to real than whatever Skylined! is talking about.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

Why do they want to up the age limit to vape?

there's a growing number of teens developing nicotine addictions because of vaping. the age limit is weird and inconsistent with other parts of federal tobacco regulation but the motivations are public health related

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
TDD is a literal fascist sympathizer and I’m constantly baffled that he’s allowed to just come in here at will.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
vape shops literally don't ever card, so I'd prefer they actually enforce this before eliminating a way that helped adults like me stop smoking

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's embarrasingly obvious that Gaetz wants an "in handcuffs" picture to show that the opposition party that only controls one house of Congress and a handful of state governments is actually an all powerful malevolent political force. He asks, every time, if they're going to remove him or put him in cuffs and the answer is always "gently caress off, horsefly".

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skylined! posted:

Also lmao where the gently caress have I described Christianity as needing only to apply to upper-class protestants, or white people? What is this strawman bullshit?

I am arguing that it's worth considering that what most Americans practice, especially those concerned with prosperity theology, is not actually a subset of Christianity but has evolved into a new religion itself.

Yeah this argument doesn't wash with me. In this country we have had for decades now black-site child residential / education camps that are completely protected from state oversight by religious freedom laws. These black sites are only tolerated by the public because they are Christian, if these child abuse factories were being operated by Muslim they would be shut down before lunch time tomorrow.

If moderate Christians perhaps started speaking up and trying to draw a distinction between themselves and the radical Christian is, then I'd be more inclined to make that distinction. But as it stands modern Christians only make that distinction when they don't want to be associated with what the most powerful and politically active branch of Christianity is doing in this country.

Being a Christian is a choice, and if you choose to be a moderate Christian without doing all in your power to stand up/speak put against Christian Dominionism [I]as a Christian!/I] and what it's doing to this country- well then I'll tell you to your face that I think your faith is very shallow and self-serving.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 8, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

oxsnard posted:

kanye is and always has been christian, because like lots of black americans, his entire early social life revolved at least somewhat around church communities. He's also probably bi-polar and craves attention and affirmation from his fans. I think you guys are over complicating this

Yup, I really dislike almost any Kanye chat because 90% of the time it’s over some article gleefully pointing at him during a manic phase.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I gotta say, I don't understand defending people's faith or religion if it is lovely or they use it to be lovely. What's the difference between someone saying "gay people shouldn't exist" or "my faith tells me gay people shouldn't exist"?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

Trumps message was more appealing than hillary's.

Trumps argument boiled down to "everything sucks, I can fix it". We knew it leaned on racism but it sure got people to vote for him instead of hillary telling her voters "what you want isnt feasible."

She actively fought against what her base wanted because she was interested in incremental change but people wanted more substantial change, since people didnt want to be hosed over less, they wanted to not be hosed over.

Trump promised big change. So did obama. That's what got voters out and what helped get them elected.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
stripped of context, Trump also said more things (one-liners) that could be interpreted as pro union. This kind of rhetoric helped in the rust belt

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

luxury handset posted:

there's a growing number of teens developing nicotine addictions because of vaping. the age limit is weird and inconsistent with other parts of federal tobacco regulation but the motivations are public health related

Just a quick google says the limit is 18 which is the same for cigarettes. I dunno.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's embarrasingly obvious that Gaetz wants an "in handcuffs" picture to show that the opposition party that only controls one house of Congress and a handful of state governments is actually an all powerful malevolent political force. He asks, every time, if they're going to remove him or put him in cuffs and the answer is always "gently caress off, horsefly".

Representatives Gaetz and Jordan having their teamwork do little more than expose their reticence to put themselves at risk and give Representative Schiff another memorable quote is exceptionally embarrassing. At some point, they're going to have to realize how terrible this is making them look, right?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ewiley posted:

I don't think slow progress is a good thing, but there isn't another practical way unless you elect progressives. I mean look at public support for M4A and the green new deal now vs when Obama was first elected. We had tea partiers ranting about death panels but we got Obamacare which is objectively a good thing and has literally saved thousands of lives. Did it go far enough? No of course not but it was an improvement and thousands of people are alive because of it.

Obamacare did not reform the Healthcare System, it merely rounded off some of the sharper edges. And well that did result in some relief, it also set the system up for the inevitable failure that is currently experiencing. Obamacare was just a Centrist bj to the insurance industry, a round of sloppy neoliberal fellatio for big capital.

It alleviated some of the worst problems in the short-term, but in the middle term it is collapsin, and in the long-term the situation will be worse than if nothing had been done.

You can also apply the exact same criticism. Centrist have handled climate change. Too little, too slow, too late, because what they really care about is never interrupting the status quo, not making the changes that are needed.

Centrist leaders don't reform systems, they manage declines. (E.g. Black household wealth wealth Obama)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

Just a quick google says the limit is 18 which is the same for cigarettes. I dunno.

yeah, trump rambled about raising the age limit to 21 which is probably just him freestyling about policy, as he does, because i can't imagine that different age limits for different nicotine products would last very long

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

Representatives Gaetz and Jordan having their teamwork do little more than expose their reticence to put themselves at risk and give Representative Schiff another memorable quote is exceptionally embarrassing. At some point, they're going to have to realize how terrible this is making them look, right?

Jordan can't realize that covering up rape made him look terrible, so I doubt it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

luxury handset posted:

yeah, trump rambled about raising the age limit to 21 which is probably just him freestyling about policy, as he does, because i can't imagine that different age limits for different nicotine products would last very long

it also strikes me as something he probably can't do without legislation

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

oxsnard posted:

He's not "probably" bi-polar. He has been very open and honest about his diagnosis and his struggles with mental illness and medication. He is bi-polar. Unless you have reason to think he was misdiagnosed?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

it also strikes me as something he probably can't do without legislation

yea I'm sure he'll say that's something he supports, congress will go 'uh...sure' and then when neither party wants to do it he can bitch about DO NOTHING DEMS

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Prester Jane posted:

The criticism isn't that progress isn't coming as fast as I want, the criticism is that progress isn't coming fast enough to matter. Again, look at climate change. Centrism and incrementalism are (at this point), woefully inadequate to address the problem. Centrist leaders will not reform the system and they will certainly not reform the system to the degree that it needs to be reformed. (All they will do is enable the status quo until it's too loving late.)

That's mostly fair, but I would point out that the report asserting a ~12 year deadline only came out about a ~year ago and our government is designed to be slow. Systemic change almost requires a time machine in this case.

quote:

I feel pretty confident that the parents lying awake at night as their children are slowly having their humanity destroyed in the death camps have a very different opinion on what an appropriate timeline for closing the camps is than you seem to.

This I have no idea why you're bringing up e: since I've never expressed any preferred timeline that I can recall 🤷‍♂️

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 8, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

beejay posted:

I gotta say, I don't understand defending people's faith or religion if it is lovely or they use it to be lovely. What's the difference between someone saying "gay people shouldn't exist" or "my faith tells me gay people shouldn't exist"?

It's just a paper-thin attempt to cover for their bigotry by attributing it to God.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1192854195625316352?s=19
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1192856846656299013?s=20
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1192859073798135808?s=20
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1192860614575702016?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

He's not "probably" bi-polar. He has been very open and honest about his diagnosis and his struggles with mental illness and medication. He is bi-polar. Unless you have reason to think he was misdiagnosed?

I didn't know he had said his actual condition, but yeah ok. No I am not assuming he's misdiagnosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Replies are what you'd expect

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1192856239300059143