Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

So how many of those Godzilla movies are actually good?

Even in the poo poo ones like Megalon and Ebirah you can sit back and appreciate the work that went into the extensive modelwork and costumes.

There are bad Godzilla films but none of the Godzilla films are bad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Channel just added a TON of awesome poo poo but what I'm most excited about is the chance to dip into Peter Greenaway :toot:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/newly-added

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There was a B&N less than a mile away from where I was working today, so I picked up the Godzilla set The Circus, Heaven Can Wait, Cluny Brown, and Young Mr. Lincoln plus they had the OOP dual format of Picnic at Hanging Rock with the book.

If you're a B&N member, the Godzilla set is only about $100.

edit: Looks like they have 50%-off on Arrow and oddly enough, Cohen releases too. Everyone should pick up their editions of the Buster Keaton films and Intolerance - all gorgeous restorations with orchestral music scores.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If you have a Chase credit card, you can get B&N giftcards for 10% off with rewards points right now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I was gonna get the Godzilla set but even with the sale price I just can't justify it this month. drat expensive furnace repairs :argh:

Still gonna pick up Haxan though, I've never seen it and am really looking forward to checking it out

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

So how many of those Godzilla movies are actually good?

They're all underrated but if I had to select the best I'd choose these three:

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I was gonna get the Godzilla set but even with the sale price I just can't justify it this month. drat expensive furnace repairs :argh:

Still gonna pick up Haxan though, I've never seen it and am really looking forward to checking it out

Haxan is one I really want. I’ve seen it on YouTube before but I’ve never seen a good transfer of it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
50% off Arrow Films and 40% off Criterion Collection all month for Canadians at Unobstructed View. https://www.unobstructedview.com/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Seems like some of the reviews failed to mention there's a supplemental disc in the Godzilla set. Here's what's on it...

Hondo and Banno - 1990 interview with Ishiro Honda and Yoshimitsu Banno
Handcrafted Artistry - 2019 interview with Alex Cox on the Godzilla series
Launching Jet Jaguar - 2019 interview with actor Tsugotoshi Komada
Man of Many Faces - 2019 interview with actor Bin Furuya
Good Music is Always Simple - 1999 interview with composer Akira Ifukube
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Japanese Version) - with DTS-HD MA 4.0 sound
Toho Unused Special Effects Complete Collection - hour-long compilation from the 1980s
Trailers (for all the films except Godzilla '54 and King Kong vs. Godzilla US cut, which are on their respective discs)

Also, for completionists, Mill Creek released a steelbook edition of Mothra on Blu-ray a few months ago (licensed from Sony) with both the US and Japanese cuts, as well as a commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godzisewski (who contribute to the Criterion set) and trailers. Only going for about $12 at most places.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Has there been any indication of whether or not they’ll do physical releases for Rodan and War of the Gargantuas?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That Godzilla set is A Thing of Beauty.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has there been any indication of whether or not they’ll do physical releases for Rodan and War of the Gargantuas?

No, but I can see them doing additional sets. It also helps that a lot of the films have US rights with Sony, who is Criterion's distributor.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Le Saboteur posted:

50% off Arrow Films and 40% off Criterion Collection all month for Canadians at Unobstructed View. https://www.unobstructedview.com/

Hooray! There is a God.

Anyone who has A Matter of Life and Death want to give a recommendation? Also for Dragon Inn, I have a Touch of Zen already so wondering how those compare. So far I'm looking at picking up Police Story, 1984, Fantastic Planet (upgrade from non-Criterion DVD), maaaybe one of Mishima, Tokyo Drifter, Night of the Living Dead....

Cacator fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 2, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, for completionists, Mill Creek released a steelbook edition of Mothra on Blu-ray a few months ago (licensed from Sony) with both the US and Japanese cuts, as well as a commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godzisewski (who contribute to the Criterion set) and trailers. Only going for about $12 at most places.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I didn't know it existed and it was a snap buy once I found out.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Cacator posted:

Hooray! There is a God.

Anyone who has A Matter of Life and Death want to give a recommendation? Also for Dragon Inn, I have a Touch of Zen already so wondering how those compare. So far I'm looking at picking up Police Story, 1984, Fantastic Planet (upgrade from non-Criterion DVD), maaaybe Night of the Living Dead.

Dragon Inn is essential viewing imo. It’s basically the ideal version of a pure action film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cacator posted:

Hooray! There is a God.

Anyone who has A Matter of Life and Death want to give a recommendation? Also for Dragon Inn, I have a Touch of Zen already so wondering how those compare. So far I'm looking at picking up Police Story, 1984, Fantastic Planet (upgrade from non-Criterion DVD), maaaybe Night of the Living Dead.

A Matter of Life and Death, as well as all the other Technicolor Powell & Pressburger films are 100% worth getting. Great film and Sony's 4K restoration looks incredible.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
should i get wim wender’s wings of desire and until the end of the world

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ham_sanitizer posted:

Until the End of the World doesn’t come out until December so it’s not eligible for the sale.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I went w Solaris, The Game, Police Story’s, and Fire Walk With Me. But I went through Best Buy and had them price match. Gonna be a good week.

As always: BUY THIEF!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 3, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ham_sanitizer posted:

Wings of Desire is a really interesting film. I don't know yet how I feel about it, but it certainly is thought provoking and does a lot of interesting things.

And it was remade into City of Angels, just replace Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds with the Goo Goo Dolls.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wings of Desire is a really interesting film. I don't know yet how I feel about it, but it certainly is thought provoking and does a lot of interesting things.

And it was remade into City of Angels, just replace Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds with the Goo Goo Dolls.

thanks...i do a lot of blind buys, but maybe ill check it out on the criterion channel first.

usually if i don’t know what to think about a movie i end up really liking it ok repeated viewings.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What's a good jumping off point for John Waters, or what works best as a blind buy?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cacator posted:

What's a good jumping off point for John Waters, or what works best as a blind buy?

Female Trouble is hilarious.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is what I've ended up gettting so far:
Polyester
Vampyr
Carnival of Souls
Godzilla set

Gonna be a good time with these movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is what I've ended up gettting so far:
Polyester
Vampyr
Carnival of Souls
Godzilla set

Gonna be a good time with these movies.

I honestly didn't expect them to ever upgrade Vampyr from DVD, but it's amazing how well AVC handles heavier film grain compared to MPEG2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This Godzilla set is the best thing I’ve bought in a long time and it’s not even close. I’d forgotten how great the two MechaGodzilla movies are.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This Godzilla set is loving enormous

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This Godzilla set is loving enormous

It’s Godzilla no one can contain him.

I forgot how 60’s Godzilla vs Mecha Godzilla is. It has really fun editing and I love that cheesy 60’s music so much.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The godzilla thread won’t answer me so maybe you jerks will, which of the Godzilla flicks have dubs on the box set? My kids will watch them subbed but they ask waaaay more questions

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DeimosRising posted:

The godzilla thread won’t answer me so maybe you jerks will, which of the Godzilla flicks have dubs on the box set? My kids will watch them subbed but they ask waaaay more questions
About half of them:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Invasion of Astro Monster
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Terror of MechaGodzilla

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

About half of them:

Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs Megalon
Terror of MechaGodzilla

Thank you, jerk

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

About half of them:

Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs Megalon
Terror of MechaGodzilla

Also, King Kong vs. Godzilla has both the US and the Japanese cut.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Female Trouble is hilarious.

Yes. I didn't really dig Multiple Maniacs that much, but Female Trouble blew me away.

Really looking forward to Polyester, and (hopefully down the road) Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I also love John Waters’ books. Particularly Role Models.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I got my Charter Member Card. Just confirming I'm not the only one.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I also got it in the mail like a week or two ago. As expected I took a long look at it and laughed to myself about what the hell its for. It's very nicely made, I'll give it that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The charter card is really good at slicing through shrinkwrap, so I have it hanging on a lanyard on one of my shelves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, people have figured out that the Barnes and Noble sale is all well and good, but the Half Price Books coupon week is real goddamn cheap Criterions time. There are three Half Price Bookses near me, and this was all I was able to get

I've seen Bottle Rocket(ages ago, I remember it being kinda ehh but I figured it's worth another look), but the others are blind buys.

And I wasn't being picky. I got all the Criterions they had except for Rosemary's Baby and three copies of Benjamin Button

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I never see Criterions at half-price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm pretty sure every Half Price books is issued with a single copy of Benjamin Button when they open. No Half Price Books has ever sold their copy.