Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Pinecone Sample posted:

TIFU by "catching" my boyfriend cheating

These stories are so crazy. Tons of news articles out there about people waking up to text messages from dead family members or SOs who passed away since February. I can't even imagine what getting a dick pic from your dead boyfriend at 3am must feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

She's either 100% cheating on him or hates him so much she's embarrassed to be seen around him and thinks his association with her in any way will damage her career. Either way their relationship is dead and he needs to bail.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I don't know why people wring their hands so much about this stuff.

Hi mother in law, how are you? What's that? You have invited my husbands ex who now lives with you and (sounds like) falsely accused him of rape a long time ago to the Christmas Dinner? Hahaha good one. No, wait, you're serious? And she's living with you on your property? Fuckity bye.

Like family is of course important, but it's a two way street. If a family member is treating you like poo poo then you've got no obligation to treat them nicely.

My response would be "enjoy your Christmas Dinner without your family with your tenant who accused your son of raping her you hosed up person".

With these stories, I always wonder where the hell the husband is in it. Why is the wife taking point on dealing with her in-laws? Why do these posts never mention what the husband's opinion or actions to date to resolve this are?

The answer of course is that we are all doomed to become our parents, and therefore marry our parents, in the end. And if mom was a domineering narcissist who steamrolled your identity and choices as a kid...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So many family drama stories are generally:
"Hi I absolutely hate a couple members of my family, every moment with them is hell. But if we don't keep enduring them they've threatened to cut us out of our lives and we'd never see them again, help!!"

The only thing I can think of is still wanting to be in the running for inheritance in these situations, or just be so brainwashed by the "cult of family" that they think family is something worth enduring abuse over.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In that case, the dad dgaf and would be fine with the grandma hitting the kids all day every day, but he has to live with his wife who's mad about it, which is why he's putting up a pathetically weak front of "it's bad I guess" to her, while being like "you know what my wife is like, she's all hysterical about this" to his parents, which of course only increases the rift

The conference thing only makes sense if the company has a big no fraternization policy, like some schools do I think. Or if it's a weird situation where he's higher up, and she just got a promotion, and if anyone finds out they're married, they'll think her promotion was due to his position and not to her work

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Anne Whateley posted:

The conference thing only makes sense if the company has a big no fraternization policy, like some schools do I think. Or if it's a weird situation where he's higher up, and she just got a promotion, and if anyone finds out they're married, they'll think her promotion was due to his position and not to her work

Where did it say they work at the same company? Wife is acting sketchy, no way around that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

So many family drama stories are generally:
"Hi I absolutely hate a couple members of my family, every moment with them is hell. But if we don't keep enduring them they've threatened to cut us out of our lives and we'd never see them again, help!!"

The only thing I can think of is still wanting to be in the running for inheritance in these situations, or just be so brainwashed by the "cult of family" that they think family is something worth enduring abuse over.

odds are they know if things escalate to that level the rest of their family will never for even one instant stop screeching at them to do whatever it takes to make things go back to normal so they can keep pretending there's no problem, so if they're only willing to cut off a few specific family members it can quickly become not worth the hassle

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (32M) parents (60's M/F) are insistent that my wife (31F) is driving a wedge through the family by not allowing them to spank our daughter (3F).

Whenever my parents go to spank my niece or nephew, my nephew comments that they must not love them, since my parents spank my niece and nephew but not my daughter.

loving :owned: you abusive pieces of poo poo.

quote:

My sister and brother and law are both furious with me, since they think my wife and I are judging their parenting style and looking down on them.

They should think you are judging them and you should be judging them. They suck and resort to abusive methods.

quote:

How do I untangle this situation?

Challenge them to one-on-one combat and beat the poo poo out of them. The winner sets the rules, as has been done in your family for time immemorial.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah i'm real impressed with the the nephew figuring this poo poo out, that it's not just the natural order and not everyone gets treated this way, and using emotion to gently caress with grandma is exactly what she loving gets

i hope that kid digs in the knife hard

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of the kids in schools that still allow corporal punishment who figured out the two best ways to deal with it:
Pretend to be into it
OR
Accuse the teacher of being into it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah i'm real impressed with the the nephew figuring this poo poo out, that it's not just the natural order and not everyone gets treated this way, and using emotion to gently caress with grandma is exactly what she loving gets

i hope that kid digs in the knife hard

kids are smarter than many adults give them credit for, i believe people are born as intelligent as they're ever going to be, you just have to spend most of your childhood learning extremely basic things so you seem dumb as hell while you're trying to sort out why people can't fly and what to do about bad emotions. this is why hitting kids is bad parenting, kids can be reasoned with to a degree using kid logic and it's also not useful to try to beat kids into not doing normal kid things like running around and being loud and annoying

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Admiral Ray posted:

They should think you are judging them and you should be judging them. They suck and resort to abusive methods.

People who complain about being looked down upon for good reason are the worst.

Have the decency to be ashamed in the presence of your betters, drat it

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA for wanting a natural labor so I can experience the “panicked, rushing to the hospital” situation?

quote:

I (25f) am the mother to a thirteen month old baby girl, and am currently pregnant with a baby boy. My husband (31m) and I have both agreed this is our last child, and he’ll be getting a vasectomy during this pregnancy.

We were talking about how different everything was this time around, and I mentioned that I didn’t want to be induced or have an epidural with our son like I did with our daughter. I told him I wanted to experience my water breaking, the panicked phone call, rush to the hospital, etc. He had a pretty negative reaction to this, and said he’d rather do the induction again. He said he liked having the time to get things together, being able to plan ahead, etc. I told him this is my last child, and I want to experience that part of the beginning of parenthood, because I haven’t before. He got upset and thinks I should at least take his wants into consideration, because it’s his baby too, and he’s the one driving to the hospital. He also rather an induction because he thinks it’s safer than spontaneous birth. I feel like since I’m the one pushing a HUMAN out of my vagina, I should be able to have the birthing experience I want, within reason. We didn’t really argue, but agreed we disagreed and are going to talk about it more in depth in the morning. WIBTA if I insisted on the “rushed” birth?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA for wanting a natural labor so I can experience the “panicked, rushing to the hospital” situation?

... you're a loving idiot.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this is a real dumb desire but silver lining, it reminded me of the police training film sudden birth which is very NSFW because the berkeley, california police department found a pregnant lady who was willing to give birth, on camera, in the back of a cop car, to train cops what to do in case they have to deliver a child on the side of the road

OP should just show this to his wife

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 8, 2019

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

So how long before she starts begging for drugs? I give her five minutes.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This is some kind of fetish right? Asking the universe to make her birthing the most complicated and problematic experience possible?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

It's a whimsical and low-risk situation for a potential motor vehicle accident, just drive, man.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Anne Whateley posted:

Nah, in those cases she could have easily explained things at multiple points beforehand, including the several times he tried to get in touch with her during the conference. The only sensible explanation is that he embarassed his wife in front of her boyfriend.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

It's a whimsical and low-risk situation for a potential motor vehicle accident, just drive, man.

I was envisioning the exact opposite, bumper to bumper traffic while the wife is wailing in the back seat.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I want the experience of not being anywhere near a doctor when a potentially deadly complication arises

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That poo poo happens in movies and rarely in real life. Why put your baby at risk? Panic is not usually desirable.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

This is just phrased badly. Reading the post, she just wants a normal, non-induced delivery, which is a totally reasonable thing to want.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

This is just phrased badly. Reading the post, she just wants a normal, non-induced delivery, which is a totally reasonable thing to want.

not quite:

quote:

I told him I wanted to experience my water breaking, the panicked phone call, rush to the hospital, etc.

she wants to wait until she actually starts going into labor to go to the hospital because, uh, it's exciting i guess? childbirth just isn't dramatic enough. let's do a water birth into a shark tank next

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I had an elective cesarean specifically to avoid all that poo poo. There is nothing better than knowing exactly what time you need to be at the hospital and having all your poo poo planned accordingly.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
The vast majority of natural childbirths aren't panicked anyway. Your water can break days before your active labor starts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

luxury handset posted:

kids are smarter than many adults give them credit for, i believe people are born as intelligent as they're ever going to be, you just have to spend most of your childhood learning extremely basic things so you seem dumb as hell while you're trying to sort out why people can't fly and what to do about bad emotions. this is why hitting kids is bad parenting, kids can be reasoned with to a degree using kid logic and it's also not useful to try to beat kids into not doing normal kid things like running around and being loud and annoying

got a Kid Expert on our hands

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

If you define intelligence as the ability to process information and quickly learn I feel like babies really are extremely intelligent, but mostly because they're starting as a nearly blank slate and need to learn basically everything.

High int 0 exp

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

not quite:

she wants to wait until she actually starts going into labor to go to the hospital because, uh, it's exciting i guess? childbirth just isn't dramatic enough. let's do a water birth into a shark tank next

What level of millionaire are you where the hospital would let you check in to the maternity ward before your labor started?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

extremely online posted:

What level of millionaire are you where the hospital would let you check in to the maternity ward before your labor started?
You realize there are different stages of labor, right? There is lots of walking around the hospital waiting for the active part to begin.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

You realize there are different stages of labor, right?
Somebody has read Stretch Marx

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

extremely online posted:

that's why hospitals prefer to schedule an induction or c-section if necessary :confused: the hospital doesn't really have the space to have people hanging out in case they go into natural labor, but also you don't want to expect people to just go into labor on their own and then make their way to the hospital because of the risk of complication. obviously folks go into labor outside of the hospital all the time but that's not really an ideal situation. deliberately waiting for your water to break because it's a whole Experience is silly, at that point you may as well just get a doula and do a home birth

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Leon Einstein posted:

You realize there are different stages of labor, right? There is lots of walking around the hospital waiting for the active part to begin.

Well admittedly a woman who has already gone through a childbirth is still putting it together so it does seem quite complex.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm not sure whether you skipped reading luxury handset's post or my post

luxury handset posted:

that's why hospitals prefer to schedule an induction or c-section if necessary :confused: the hospital doesn't really have the space to have people hanging out in case they go into natural labor, but also you don't want to expect people to just go into labor on their own and then make their way to the hospital because of the risk of complication. obviously folks go into labor outside of the hospital all the time but that's not really an ideal situation. deliberately waiting for your water to break because it's a whole Experience is silly, at that point you may as well just get a doula and do a home birth

"hospitals prefer" to treat pregnant women like disposable baby packaging. there's quite a lot of activism about the pressure to consent to delivery methods that are more convenient for the doctors than they are healthy for the mother and baby. however, something tells me you're not likely to care what women think about how industrialized childbirth treats them, so I'll drop it. Please continue your all-male discussion of childbirth best practices.

extremely online fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 8, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

just intensely curious right now how many of the posters in here making declarative statements have been through the childbirth process as either a mother or co-parent

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Uncle Enzo posted:

yeah, but it does sound like she's romanticizing it in a way which may leave her disappointed by the reality of it. we make weddings and childbirths such huge markers as 'turning points' for our lives, we end up creating our ideal wedding and birth stories before we get there and it can lead to intense disappointment and even trauma when it goes the exact opposite as imagined. as matter of point, trauma from having to get an unexpected c-section during natural birth is what led Hilary Frank to create 'The Longest Shortest Time' - https://longestshortesttime.com/

luxury handset posted:

kids are smarter than many adults give them credit for

absolutely

luxury handset posted:

i believe people are born as intelligent as they're ever going to be

but this isn't how kids work. we aren't born with all our possible intelligence and it just gets uncovered, like a dinosaur skeleton emerging from sand. kids are smart but aren't born with all of their intelligence, it absolutely develops over time and part of one's role as a parent is shepherding this

you are right that children can be reasoned with, which is part of why you shouldn't hit them - but heck, there's a whole pile of reasons and research why you shouldn't spank kids. the biggest one in my mind is that they look to you as an example of how to handle anger, and what they will see and remember as a behavior to model is an adult allowing themselves to relieve anger on a person smaller than them because they have perceived authority. if you want to teach them how to properly handle anger, you can't let it get the best of you and you can't allow yourself to relieve your frustrations on your child, because they will take that and model it as behavior for how adults should handle their anger

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 8, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"Natural childbirth is The Best" is very real poo poo that is pushed on new mothers unceasingly and it's perfectly fine for her to be like "I want that." It's also perfectly fine for someone to want something important to happen a certain way, regardless of the milestone, and infantilizing them over it is something that weirdly only happens to women.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup, while everyone has different levels of closeness to their SO, and I get that a work conference is mostly about networking and all, not hanging out with your partner. But his crazy wife never wanting to have dinner or drinks with him ever and disavowing his existence as her husband in front of her co-workers is a total loving red flag. In addition to refusing to stay in the same room as him when they're at the same exact place... She's definitely cheating on him 100%.

I wonder if her "networking" involves flirting so she wants to seem available? Doesn't make it any better, obviously, but it would explain why she seems to think it's inappropriate for him to be even near her in a networking setting but not an office party.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The bridezilla of childbirth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

There is definitely a romanticization of childbirth. When I told my first doctor I wanted a cesarean she tried to shame me out of it and told me that natural birth was the best way to do it because that's what we were made to do and it's such an ~experience~, how could you possibly not want that? There is a very rah rah I am woman hear me roar kind of mentality around it and if that's what floats your boat then sure, more power to you but some people simply cant get behind that.