Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Say “Play [song/album/playlist] in Apple Music.”

Seems to work for me. Only one that came up wrong was a broadway show I’ve been listening to called “The Last Five Years”. The first time it pulled up the movie, the next few times it played “One Last Time” from Hamilton.

So it’s definitely goofy, but worked for almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Apple TV 4K is $90 on AT&T's website right now:

https://www.att.com/buy/accessories...1NAT10600aff12A

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of Stock already, not surprised - either they know about a replacement model coming in or that's a mistake.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bummer, I posted that like five minutes after I ordered one. :( Are there any rumors about what an upgraded model would have, besides an A13?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People keep saying there's a rumor of a new one, but eh I can't see it given that Arcade has launched already and I don't think anything has come from anyone actually reliable. People just like the thought of new gear. The current unit isn't exactly lacking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

People keep saying there's a rumor of a new one, but eh I can't see it given that Arcade has launched already and I don't think anything has come from anyone actually reliable. People just like the thought of new gear. The current unit isn't exactly lacking.

The rumor of a new one is based on there being a reference to a new model in iOS 13 code. It's not just blind hope.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess a new model would be a cheaper version, not sure what a spec bump would actually get anyone.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Presenting.. the AppleTV 5K?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard some Apple Arcade games run like garbage on at ATV. Could just be a processor bump?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I assume the next one will have a different remote. Whether that means they are still in on the touchpad and add haptic feedback or drop touch entirely, I can't decide. Maybe a USB port for more game controllers. But it'll be in a dumb spot, like the bottom of the device.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I would expect a new atv to have HDMI 2.1 vrr and eArc maybe 8k since they sell them now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think you actually need 8K content first, don't know of many movies that have 8K releases

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 1, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

I would expect a new atv to have HDMI 2.1 vrr and eArc maybe 8k since they sell them now.

eARC is for TV <> receiver connection and VRR isn't useful for video since its framerate tends to remain constant.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

eARC is for TV <> receiver connection and VRR isn't useful for video since its framerate tends to remain constant.

The atv match content frame rate feature runs the menu at 60 FPS and video at 24 or whatever, vrr would get rid of the screen flicker and audio drop out, also it would be great for games and steam link.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Every time I try to watch something on ESPN it makes me enter my TV credentials. Every single time, and the first time it always tells me my password is wrong. This is super loving annoying.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Every time I try to watch something on ESPN it makes me enter my TV credentials. Every single time, and the first time it always tells me my password is wrong. This is super loving annoying.

Are you going through a VPN? When I go through a VPN it does dumb stuff like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jabro posted:

Are you going through a VPN? When I go through a VPN it does dumb stuff like that.

Nope. Didn’t know you could with ATV, unless you mean at the router. Wish I could though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nope. Didn’t know you could with ATV, unless you mean at the router. Wish I could though.

Yeah. It has to be through the router. No clue then. When I stopped my ATV through a VPN it stopped those shenanigans for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is your ISP *also* your TV provider? Or are you using a streaming service?

I assume the ESPN is using IP ranges to detect who your TV service *should* be, because when I moved from Comcast over to PS Vue, it simply would not keep me logged in. I could log in and use it, it would have the PS Vue logo in the upper corner. But if I exited it, when I went back in the Xfinity logo was there and I had to log back in.

It was infuriating. Then PS Vue added 4 screen multi-view to their Apple TV app, so I’ve never used the ESPN app since.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I assume the ESPN is using IP ranges to detect who your TV service *should* be, because when I moved from Comcast over to PS Vue, it simply would not keep me logged in. I could log in and use it, it would have the PS Vue logo in the upper corner. But if I exited it, when I went back in the Xfinity logo was there and I had to log back in.

It was infuriating. Then PS Vue added 4 screen multi-view to their Apple TV app, so I’ve never used the ESPN app since.

RIP Vue though....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

RIP Vue though....

No kidding, fortunately they don’t shut down until *after* college football is over...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I use... a family members provide across the country. It hasn’t been an issue until this past week.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Need an alternative TV service app now that PS Vue is shutting down. Anyone have thoughts on how Hulu/Sling/YoutubeTV/etc compare in terms of their UI on the Apple TV 4K?

Particularly curious about YouTube TV, as the DVR sounds good but it appears to have the same video controls as the main YouTube app, which I hate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Minidust posted:

Need an alternative TV service app now that PS Vue is shutting down. Anyone have thoughts on how Hulu/Sling/YoutubeTV/etc compare in terms of their UI on the Apple TV 4K?

Particularly curious about YouTube TV, as the DVR sounds good but it appears to have the same video controls as the main YouTube app, which I hate.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605 Dedicated thread to these services you might find useful. Also check out https://suppose.tv which helps do package comparisons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605 Dedicated thread to these services you might find useful. Also check out https://suppose.tv which helps do package comparisons.

That thread is great.

I’ll say that I had YT TV for 3 months and the controls are awful.

Also the way it does DVR is weird. It lists the recorded show with the on demand version first so you can’t fast forward though The commercials.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Sling is "good enough" for my wife and I since it carries both Bravo and NFL Redzone (pretty sure only Sling and something called Fubo carry RedZone). App has improved significantly on the Apple TV over the last three years from "this has a loading icon overlaid on the show for its entirety" to mostly works. The local channels carried vary by market, we only get NBC since we are in Connecticut.

It's also absurdly cheap. $26/mo for non NFL seasons and $37/mo for the 4 months of the year I sub to their sports package for RedZone.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So I've been trying to solve my playback issues with 23.976 or 24 fps media. I have a Mac and a PC hooked up to a tv but I get a lot of judder/stuttering if I play from either.

Apparently it's a common problem, and I've tried a heap of apps to remove it (vlc, potplayer with madVR/Lav filters, Kodi with custom settings) with not a lot of success. Either I get the 24p shutter or the apps apply gross motion smoothing/soap opera effect.

From research on whirlpool forum (I'm in Australia), they say that the Apple tv 4k will solve it and it's a set once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Any advice?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, sometimes you’re just going to get motion issues simply due to 24p and the shooting style. You might have already eliminated everything possible and that’s just how things look.

At worst, you can always take the Apple TV back within 14 days (presuming Australia has that same thing).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

the_lion posted:

So I've been trying to solve my playback issues with 23.976 or 24 fps media. I have a Mac and a PC hooked up to a tv but I get a lot of judder/stuttering if I play from either.

Apparently it's a common problem, and I've tried a heap of apps to remove it (vlc, potplayer with madVR/Lav filters, Kodi with custom settings) with not a lot of success. Either I get the 24p shutter or the apps apply gross motion smoothing/soap opera effect.

From research on whirlpool forum (I'm in Australia), they say that the Apple tv 4k will solve it and it's a set once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Any advice?

It's worth a shot. [Plex on the PC + Infuse on the ATV + ATV set to match framerate of content] has been my magic bullet

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

emdash posted:

It's worth a shot. [Plex on the PC + Infuse on the ATV + ATV set to match framerate of content] has been my magic bullet

Curious, why are you using Infuse and plex? Is there something one does better than the other?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some people just prefer it, I can’t say I like it much and far prefer the official client. Now that Apple patched the audio exploit they took advantage of, and the Enhanced Player fixes pretty much all the issues with playback I don’t bother using it for anything anymore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Infuse reliably plays content over a LAN directly, without further encoding. Plex is not as good at that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Infuse reliably plays content over a LAN directly, without further encoding. Plex is not as good at that.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some people just prefer it, I can’t say I like it much and far prefer the official client. Now that Apple patched the audio exploit they took advantage of, and the Enhanced Player fixes pretty much all the issues with playback I don’t bother using it for anything anymore.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

the_lion posted:

Any advice?

Does your television display which frame rate has been negotiated? Mine does a very obvious display mode switch when it changes to match the content, and shows 1080@24 on the OSD.

Double check your “match content” setting is enabled, mine magically disabled itself one time.

Also check your tv settings for motion smoothing or other filters that could be messing things up.

The best way to check for sure is to get a test video (I’ll try and find the one I used) and use a still camera to take a 1 second long exposure of the screen with the video playing. That will help make sure it’s not a problem with your source material.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Does your television display which frame rate has been negotiated? Mine does a very obvious display mode switch when it changes to match the content, and shows 1080@24 on the OSD.

Double check your “match content” setting is enabled, mine magically disabled itself one time.

Also check your tv settings for motion smoothing or other filters that could be messing things up.

The best way to check for sure is to get a test video (I’ll try and find the one I used) and use a still camera to take a 1 second long exposure of the screen with the video playing. That will help make sure it’s not a problem with your source material.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. It's odd, watching Fight Club you can see it quite clearly. I watched a couple of other movies and it's not as bad or noticeable. I'm now wondering if it's the iTunes encodes of Fight Club or it disabling itself like you mentioned.

TV is quite old, so no motion smoothing inbuilt.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I REALLY wish my (LG) TV would display the picture quality and framerate, but as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no way to do it. My old Panasonic plasma would tell you when you switched inputs or hit the info what the picture quality was. It's annoying because it pops up with an HDR and Dolby Vision tag when the content is HDR or DolbyVision, but won't tell me whether something is 4K or 1080p or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not an issue these days with the new player.

Last 2 weeks of playback, the only transcoding any of my clients have done is my Firestick 4K as that doesn't have a codec for AAC, so even that was no strain for my server. Mixture of TV and movies, all from different sources.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use Infuse and Plex mostly out of habit now. I have Infuse set to not autoplay and Plex is for when I do want autoplay next on. I guess I haven't tried in a long time, but Infuse used to at least autoplay next episodes immediately. I prefer Plex's countdown that can be cancelled.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

This is not my experience. My ATV does this without issue. They updated the app earlier this year, changing how it plays back. Its been great ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Plex requires each and every file to meet certain very specific requirements to "Direct Play/Stream", like if it decides it doesn't like the subtitles, it transcodes the entire file just to burn them in. It also only supports certain file formats. Blu-ray or DVD folders/images are not supported, they never have been and probably never will be.

Infuse just works, every time, and that's the entire point of buying an Apple solution, at least putatively.