Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BeatriceLibDem/status/1185852774505996288?s=19

Lib Dem candidate there, doesn't want to campaign because she has skiing holidays to go on. The platonic ideal of a Lib Dem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lib Dem candidate there, doesn't want to campaign because she has skiing holidays to go on. The platonic ideal of a Lib Dem.

It's not the skiing that bugs me, it's how the gently caress does this woman have an entry into WEF (Davos). That should disqualify you as a candidate off the bat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Imagine being the casting guy for this video. "We need people who look innately scummy, even before they open their mouths"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They all look normal to me but the energy company lady really looks familiar and I'm trying to figure out why.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I hope somebody is collecting all these lib dem bar charts for comparison with what the actual result ends up being

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

They all look normal to me but the energy company lady really looks familiar and I'm trying to figure out why.

my first thought was "when did robert webb grow a beard"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

She looks like Helen Mirren, and I get serious Robert Webb vibes off the Landlord guy which I'm guessing is not a coincidence.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

She looks like Emma Thompson to me.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ha ha this is my Lib Dem candidate I mentioned earlier in the thread, she was also annoyed it would mess with the World Economic Forum in Davos. She's a trainee lawyer and helps run a leasehold business.

Peak Lib Dem basically.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Poison Jam posted:

All meat from the butchers

2 sausages
3 rashes thick smoked back bacon
Black Pudding
Beans
2 eggs
2 slices fried bread
Mushrooms

No tomatoes I'm afraid

No hash browns?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Can't help but notice that swinson is putting her hand up in the more of the same space...

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
That was a lovely dinner I'm now full

Tories delenda est

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ms Adequate posted:

The feverishness of the front pages is amazing, partly because of their intrinsic nonsense, but also because I realized they're quite literally the only place I've seen that is in the tank for the tories, barring the tories themselves.

I'm still, three days later, amazed at the cognitive dissonance of all the front pages asserting that BoJo the Clown has anything approaching Churchill's charisma.

(Yes, they're both awful people, etc. But even trying to empathise with the Tory mindset, those mental contortions have got to hurt.)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Do I Have Franco manca or GBK in the hospital for a cheeky non-nhs dinner thread?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She looks like Helen Mirren, and I get serious Robert Webb vibes off the Landlord guy which I'm guessing is not a coincidence.

I think I'm actually thinking of Alice Krige.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

More serious question: I'm a UK citizen but living in Canada (and a member of Labour International). I just got the latest appeal for funds in my inbox, and was going to toss in 20 quid, but their donation form said they can only accept donations from within the UK.

They seemed happy enough to take extra donations back when I last renewed my membership. Is there a special pre-election rule prohibiting donations from overseas UK citizens?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

As long as you appear on the electoral register you should be able to donate

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Jen4TruroAndFal/status/1192772527598252034

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

As long as you appear on the electoral register you should be able to donate

I do not. Apparently voting in the London mayoral election in 2008 (the only time I've voted in the UK) doesn't count for putting me on the national electoral register.

(At least, when I tried to vote in the Brexit referendum, they couldn't find me.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Are any of the third-party food delivery places *not* scum? Most of my local takeaways are now on one or the other and I'd rather not give money to Uber Eats (for obvious reasons) and I've heard Deliveroo treats their drivers even worse, so if anyone could tell me that, say, Just Eat are at least a tiny bit less scummy than the others I'd be happy to use them.

(Obviously I'm going to give the driver a decent cash tip, especially as it's just started raining - I'd just be happy if the delivery fee weren't going to the wrong people)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I do not. Apparently voting in the London mayoral election in 2008 (the only time I've voted in the UK) doesn't count for putting me on the national electoral register.

(At least, when I tried to vote in the Brexit referendum, they couldn't find me.)

Fairly sure you only stay on there for five years after leaving the country.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are any of the third-party food delivery places *not* scum? Most of my local takeaways are now on one or the other and I'd rather not give money to Uber Eats (for obvious reasons) and I've heard Deliveroo treats their drivers even worse, so if anyone could tell me that, say, Just Eat are at least a tiny bit less scummy than the others I'd be happy to use them.

(Obviously I'm going to give the driver a decent cash tip, especially as it's just started raining - I'd just be happy if the delivery fee weren't going to the wrong people)

Hm, Just Eat seems like it's the only non-scummy one actually? I mean, how are they scummy exactly?

Deliveroo has a separate menu for restaurants which is more expensive than the normal menu... and on top of that you pay for delivery as well. Not the only reason they and Uber Eats are total scum

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
deliveroo are getting mashed up by the actual loving wobblies so consider it a good union tax and just hand over a tip wrapped in an IWW pamphlet

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Goddamn I really hate the tories so much

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

chestnut santabag posted:

Can't help but notice that swinson is putting her hand up in the more of the same space...
Also the drop shadow's offset is cockeyed and Jo;'s thumb is positioned very awkwardly in relation to the blue and yellow border.

Yes, I used to be a designer, why do you ask?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought just eat were just the online ordering bit and everything else was handled by the takeaway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poison Jam posted:

Same, OP.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Poison Jam posted:

:hai:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Brexiteers: just dump NI from the union this border business is too hard who gives a poo poo lol

Also Brexiteers: the hated Corbyn is going to destroy the UK by giving the scots independence this is an outrage

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 8, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

real question: why do people act as if there are a ton of immigrants even though Britain is almost 90% white?

while I was getting my hair cut today one of the other barbers was talking about the Vietnamese people who died in the lorry before segueing quickly into "they should fix up their own country instead of coming here" and "we can't take any more people"

I did consider asking her if in that case she was in favour of banning children but I didn't want to cause a scene while someone was trying their hardest to make me look vaguely presentable

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

I thought just eat were just the online ordering bit and everything else was handled by the takeaway

You're right, and I think I actually knew this but my brain was addled by hunger (and the fact that a lot of the local delivery drivers have Just Eat-branded top boxes/bags, presumably provided as advertising). They'll do then.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've definitely seen it mentioned you're still allowed to vote for 15 years after leaving.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Deliveroo and the like loving wreck my chances of getting quick service when I pop to my local McD's on a Sunday morning to grab some breakfast.
It's just a line of delivery drivers independent contractors waiting to pick up deliveries of food for half a dozen people at a time, while the staff spend about 10 minutes getting each order ready.

Lazy bastards who can't be bothered getting out bed, inconveniencing me? Unacceptable.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gov.uk agrees that you can vote for 15 years after leaving, but you have to register annually

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given you can continue to vote for 15, how does that work?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kingturnip posted:

Deliveroo and the like loving wreck my chances of getting quick service when I pop to my local McD's on a Sunday morning to grab some breakfast.
It's just a line of delivery drivers independent contractors waiting to pick up deliveries of food for half a dozen people at a time, while the staff spend about 10 minutes getting each order ready.

Lazy bastards who can't be bothered getting out bed, inconveniencing me? Unacceptable.

It's your fault for not being horribly hung over.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Julio Cruz posted:

"we can't take any more people"

It's funny seeing the exact same racist rhetoric used in the USA, a country with about a tenth of the population density.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Spangly A posted:

deliveroo are getting mashed up by the actual loving wobblies so consider it a good union tax and just hand over a tip wrapped in an IWW pamphlet

Unfortunately deliveroo riders round here have bafflingly resisted attempts to help them organise

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

I think I'm actually thinking of Alice Krige.

The borg queen has way more empathy than your average energy CEO though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Finding out what Skilled Wallets means is genuinely bothering me.