Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

oxsnard posted:

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" has had 100x more impact on political discourse in American than all the poo poo he's pulled for Trump combined. Also I don't think his fans actually are swayed by his MAGA nonsense so it's really just a distraction if anything

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" to MAGA hat is proof that his BD is real. There's no other way to explain that kind of mental swing, and I'm not joking or making light of this.

EDIT: tax from my bike ride yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

luxury handset posted:

the luxury apartment derail is an argument starting from a conclusion (foreign investment distorts housing markets) which is technically true but not really meaningful given that the larger problem is just lack of supply, sometimes because of artificial restrictions on housing starts, sometimes because of a simply overwhelming demand due to the economic gravity of major cities and the inability of government/private institutions to meet that demand. this isn't an unprecedented situation, but it is a problem which is easy to articulate through a certain lens with a certain prescribed solution

That sums it up pretty nicely, yeah.

The problem is multi-faceted and I can get behind that. It's not just one thing.

The kind of attacks on my post make me defend it to the exclusion of other facets because people were questioning basic poo poo about use value versus exchange value. Also the original condescending doesn't really want to make me read posts of people who begin an argument by being jerks. My reading comprehension plummets when that happens because I have little interest in what someone has to say when they're being a jerk to me right out of the gates.

I hung on beyond the point of usefulness and like Luxury Handset said, this has gotten boring. Next case please.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

"George Bush doesn't care about black people" has had 100x more impact on political discourse in American than all the poo poo he's pulled for Trump combined. Also I don't think his fans actually are swayed by his MAGA nonsense so it's really just a distraction if anything

thats what makes it sadder. at one point he was able to see monsters for who they were, now He kneels before monster mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah I’m still waiting for an explanation of that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Meatball posted:

Theyd probably just email that image and tell them to print it out.

Please, even Donnie himself likes having a physical play token to play around with. Also plastic is cheap as eff.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm just excited for when Kanye puts this MAGA and Jesus stuff on the back burner and works on the passion project he's always wanted to do: a live action Akira remake.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

UnknownTarget posted:

Not to detail the topic too much, but I don't get this. His lyrics are hilariously bad. I guess he's a good producer? But does that really make him the best musician?

To make this on topic: if Kanye runs and the Republican party is still around when he does he'll get elected as the hip leader. But I don't think Kim will be with him at this point. I've heard he's telling her what to wear/making his daughters take off makeup/etc..

Edit: drat I forgot about the black people comment. Hard to believe someone who said that supports Trump so fervently.

He's rich now :capitalism:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Phisherman posted:

That sums it up pretty nicely, yeah.

The problem is multi-faceted and I can get behind that. It's not just one thing.

The kind of attacks on my post make me defend it to the exclusion of other facets because people were questioning basic poo poo about use value versus exchange value. Also the original condescending doesn't really want to make me read posts of people who begin an argument by being jerks. My reading comprehension plummets when that happens because I have little interest in what someone has to say when they're being a jerk to me right out of the gates.

I hung on beyond the point of usefulness and like Luxury Handset said, this has gotten boring. Next case please.

when you start off with a factually wrong premise and keep defending that fundamentally wrong premise, over and over again, when challenged the problem is not the person challenging you on the premise

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so this is what happens when an unstoppable trust fund baby collides with an immovable heiress

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what makes it sadder. at one point he was able to see monsters for who they were, now He kneels before monster mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Right, but it's hard to know how much of this is influenced by his mental disorder and associated need to be controversial

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pence is speaking at the launch of the Blacks for Trump event for anyone who feels like regurgitating their lunch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

evilweasel posted:

when you start off with a factually wrong premise and keep defending that fundamentally wrong premise, over and over again, when challenged the problem is not the person challenging you on the premise

This post may as well be "when you're wrong and keep being wrong, the problem isn't me, the person who is right"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Our immigration detention conditions in a single tweet:

https://twitter.com/jhartle/status/1192511114480885760?s=21

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So what percentage of the audience is actually, you know, black?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

UnknownTarget posted:

His lyrics are hilariously bad.
My man WHAT

Guy A. Person posted:

This post may as well be "when you're wrong and keep being wrong, the problem isn't me, the person who is right"
It would be, if it weren't for the fact that in other posts he's demonstrated multiple times that IP is just regurgitating things he heard once

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I’m still waiting for an explanation of that.

Impeachment Defense Member. People then will probably proclaim they're part of Trump's Impeachment Defense Force, and they'll shorten it to IDF.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

oxsnard posted:

About 60%.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It's nice seeing the GOP in the Air Bud Referee position for a change. They're really flailing wildly at process arguments nobody gives a crap about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Right, but it's hard to know how much of this is influenced by his mental disorder and associated need to be controversial

i think the latter is more that he is a rich idiot now who believes his own bullshit and that's exacerbated by the former.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Y'all remember the woman (an "AZ Patriots Leader") that interrupted a Tucson City Council meeting, spouting immigration BS, and was heartily laughed at by Green Shirt Guy? And how she was arrested recently for stealing credit card points to go to a concert?

quote:

"Jennifer created a scene at the PD (police department) and in the booking room because she believes she is above the law and does not want to be treated like a criminal," a document obtained by the Arizona Republic states. New Times has requested Harrison's booking form but has not yet received it.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/az-patriots-leader-jennifer-harrison-arrested-for-identity-theft-11378495

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

oxsnard posted:

It's run by the Gods2.com guy and his cult, so at least some of them will be.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It's run by the Gods2.com guy and his cult, so at least some of them will be.

Is that the batshit insane Blacks For Trump guy standing behind Trump at most of his rallies?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that the batshit insane Blacks For Trump guy standing behind Trump at most of his rallies?

It is, that dude is basically Time Cubing and the fact that Trump puts him back there is insane.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It is, that dude is basically Time Cubing and the fact that Trump puts him back there is insane.

It’s not like he has a lot of Black supporters to choose from.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the latter is more that he is a rich idiot now who believes his own bullshit and that's exacerbated by the former.

Probably a fair assessment. If/when the Kardashians suck him dry maybe we can get the old Ye back

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

If I started off with the factually wrong premise and you debate in return, but you are immediately a jerk to me, or really anyone else, they are not going to listen to you. You and I have engaged in a verbal slap fight and it was pretty dumb, but it was hours after you were probated for being condescending. This was not after some prolonged escalation in argument. It was immediately after my first response. You could have corrected me by say, sending an article illustrating how I was wrong if you were feeling tired or snappish from having a long or bad day or just a bad moment. That's pretty chill. I do actually read those if I feel like they're from a credible source if I have the time and often do. Instead after condescending, you jumped back into the same argument in the morning hours later, made it in part about you when it never was and that's not reasonable to expect after a single exchange. We both dug in and I checked out from listening to you early on because your behavior continued. I'm not going to read your arguments if they're going to be full of negative, condescending snark because that's going to make me feel like poo poo. I'm going to skim your arguments at best and I did which is why we were talking past one another.

This isn't some ultra-logical debate class where we get scored on our slavishness to form and rhetoric. There is an emotional component to the form of informal debate that dominates here. We did not have a back and forth that devolved into a verbal slap fight over time. I spoke up and you were condescending straight out of the gate and when you got off your sixer you continued to do so. No matter what you say after that, your persuasive argument is undermined by being rude. It doesn't matter how right or wrong you are if the person you are trying to persuade has checked out. Your attempt at persuasion failed and what followed when we picked up the argument later was stupid. Not stupid because of who is or isn't wrong, but because of how coarse you were. You undermined your own argument right or wrong good or bad.

I don't expect this to be a hug box, but if you're here specifically to debate and persuade people then your approach needs refining. I'm receptive to arguments presented with tact. I am not receptive to arguments presented tactlessly. And that goes for most people.

If you want to continue the verbal slap fight after this you're not going to find a willing partner. I admitted fault and tried to bow out gracefully. It seems that I don't get to do that, so here's where you went wrong and why and I will try to understand why I went wrong and why.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 8, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Retro42 posted:

Our immigration detention conditions in a single tweet:

https://twitter.com/jhartle/status/1192511114480885760?s=21

a couple of months ago when they showed that video of pence at the immigration center swamped with people, some chud told me that our standard jails are much worse than detainment centers

this was supposed to be a defense of both, btw

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

oxsnard posted:

Probably a fair assessment. If/when the Kardashians suck him dry maybe we can get the old Ye back

So you're saying "I miss the old Kanye"?

He is never coming back, the just MAGA'd his entire career

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Trump's approval among poc and especially African Americans is loving abysmal so it's hilarious that these rallies are by and large just optics so crackers have enough cover to keep barking "I'm not racist but..." at their white grand children and black coworkers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Strange Poon posted:

Trump's approval among poc and especially African Americans is loving abysmal so it's hilarious that these rallies are by and large just optics so crackers have enough cover to keep barking "I'm not racist but..." at their white grand children and black coworkers.

I swear to god 99 out of every 100 people photographed wearing a Blacks for Trump has been white.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If you're an amoral grifter who happens to be black, jumping on the trump train is probably a pretty smart move

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He kneels before monster mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.
This is better than any Kanye lyric.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

SirPablo posted:

Y'all remember the woman (an "AZ Patriots Leader") that interrupted a Tucson City Council meeting, spouting immigration BS, and was heartily laughed at by Green Shirt Guy? And how she was arrested recently for stealing credit card points to go to a concert?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/az-patriots-leader-jennifer-harrison-arrested-for-identity-theft-11378495

She's in the running for my favorite chud. Anytime I bring someone new to a progressive event here in Phoenix, I get to introduce them to Nazi Jen who will, like clockwork, be there to yell slurs and hold up her Trump sign... every... time.

Between defacing mosques with a 5 year old in tow, to yelling racial slurs at sitting congressmen, to getting repeatedly arrested for (insert criminal misdemeanor of the month here), she is a real treasure.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Graduation was really good.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Uh, no? Obamacare did not reform the healthcare system- because it did nothing to address the source of our Healthcare systems problems- namely the for-profit insurance industry. What Obamacare did was codify the insurance industry into law and force everyone to participate in that system. In the short-term this was a net benefit, but in the middle term Obama care is undergoing its (inevitable because it never fixed the real problem)collapse, and in the long-term it'll cause far more harm than doing nothing would have. (And orders of magnitude more harm than simply fixing the problem in the first place would have.)

Obamacare was absolutely a reform of the healthcare industry; whether it was a adequate or even positive reform is an entirely different question.

All you're doing is gas-lighting us as to the meaning of words so that your positions are definitionally correct without having to defend them on substance. Then when factually challenged you either get the conversation shut down as a quibble over the meaning of words or you just hand-waive other people as being too privileged to understand.

i.e. if everyone's ideas you don't like aren't "reforms" than you don't have to argue the merits of your reform proposals because now you just have to argue that reform is needed and magically you're the only one that has reforms.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1192899922942668802

this is not hurting my pet theory that haley was the op-ed writer

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jarmak posted:

Obamacare was absolutely a reform of the healthcare industry; whether it was a adequate or even positive reform is an entirely different question.

All you're doing is gas-lighting us as to the meaning of words so that your positions are definitionally correct without having to defend them on substance. Then when factually challenged you either get the conversation shut down as a quibble over the meaning of words or you just hand-waive other people as being too privileged to understand.

i.e. if everyone's ideas you don't like aren't "reforms" than you don't have to argue the merits of your reform proposals because now you just have to argue that reform is needed and magically you're the only one that has reforms.

Obamacare was actually cribbed from the Heritage Foundation, which is an old right wing think tank. Granted it was cribbed from the 90's, so they weren't as turbo evil as they are now, or at least openly so, but the framework of the ACA is from the 90's arch-republican era.

It doesn't really speak well that with the kind of mandate to change things that was handed to people like FDR and Reagan, this is what Obama was convinced he could get passed. He chose not to mobilize people to seize their rights, to not pick a fight with the establishment, to instead try to broker power behind doors and this is what he ended up with.

The ACA is somewhat better in that it expanded medicare and requires employers to help pay for insurance, but it strikes me as a bill that was so right wing that it left the republicans no way to attack from the right without pissing everyone off. After hundreds of attacks on Obamacare and talking about death panels that didn't exist, though corporations would murder you through not fulfilling their end of the bargain, the republicans had nothing. They attacked the ACA for over a decade and swore up and down that their idea was better, but when it came time to put up or shut up they had absolutely nothing. It was here that I think that the ACA being cribbed from a right wing think tank made sense. The republicans could offer no counter-argument. Instead they pounded the table, the blustered, they swore up and down that their plan was better and that this was communism and anti-American and eating babies in front of us.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/nov/15/ellen-qualls/aca-gop-health-care-plan-1993/

Obama didn't want to rock the boat in a time where the boat was sinking. Kudos to him for keeping it afloat, but the patches loving sucked. He could have been the new FDR or Reagan. Not in terms of their politics, but he could have shaped an era or at least a generation. Instead he wasted his mandate with his center-right bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is better than any Kanye lyric.

its not mine sadly. its just one of my favorite RLM quotes and it fit. i don't listen to enough of his music to know. its not my genre i guess.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1192899922942668802

this is not hurting my pet theory that haley was the op-ed writer

i mean, the book potraying him is a angry bitter idiot rear end in a top hat who gets off on hurting things and gets all his news OANN or fox strikes me as more accurate than alot of stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

UnknownTarget posted:

Not to detail the topic too much, but I don't get this. His lyrics are hilariously bad. I guess he's a good producer? But does that really make him the best musician?

To make this on topic: if Kanye runs and the Republican party is still around when he does he'll get elected as the hip leader. But I don't think Kim will be with him at this point. I've heard he's telling her what to wear/making his daughters take off makeup/etc..

Edit: drat I forgot about the black people comment. Hard to believe someone who said that supports Trump so fervently.

"His lyrics are hilariously bad" is something I would expect to hear from someone who really hasn't listened to his music. Does he have some bad lyrics? Absolutely. But you can't ignore songs like Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Crack Music, Jesus Walks, Runaway, Blood on the Leaves, FML, Real Friends and I could go on and on.

I go back and listen to some of those tracks and it makes me sad to see the place he is in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not mine sadly. its just one of my favorite RLM quotes and it fit. i don't listen to enough of his music to know. its not my genre i guess.

i mean, the book potraying him is a angry bitter idiot rear end in a top hat who gets off on hurting things and gets all his news OANN or fox strikes me as more accurate than alot of stuff.

It's all obvious stuff anyone could write