Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I will shame any poster who calls a model 3 an “m3” until the day I die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nobody called the Model 3 the "M3"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

A ton of idiots do, and they were making sure I wasn't one of them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

:negative:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My sword for BMW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

i support your efforts and u have my ax

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a terrible chunk of Mazda owners who call their Mazda 3s "M3" and I hope they all die.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

KakerMix posted:

A coworker at my office has the license plate (something along the lines of) "FAST M3" on their model 3 and for the longest time I was trying to figure out if they used to own a BMW and traded/sold it and kept the license plate.

But now I realize they're just an imbecile.

Edit: Hot hatch related: hopefully these new engine mounts fix some of the concerning noises my car is making. :|

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 8, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo posted:

:d2a:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

A coworker at my office has the license plate (something along the lines of) "FAST M3" on their model 3 and for the longest time I was trying to figure out if they used to own a BMW and traded/sold it and kept the license plate.

But now I realize they're just an imbecile.

Edit: Hot hatch related: hopefully these new engine mounts fix some of the concerning noises my car is making. :|

You already do the RMM?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The RMM is the eFocus one, at the moment-- replaced a few months ago from the OEM with a Cusco insert.

If my other two motor mounts have failed/gone out and this fixes the clunks, and aren't super NVH-y I'll probably buy the RMM too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

The RMM is the eFocus one, at the moment-- replaced a few months ago from the OEM with a Cusco insert.

If my other two motor mounts have failed/gone out and this fixes the clunks, and aren't super NVH-y I'll probably buy the RMM too.

Yeah Damond side mounts are supposed to be good- be a little extra NVH compared to the stock ones but not too bad.

Dunno if I'd go with their RMM unless you wanna deal with some vibes though (looks like a solid block with two little bushings at the cross bolt contact points)- I went with a Mountune one and it's barely noticeable but definitely on the softer side for an aftermarket RMM.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah the eFocus mount was definitely a little more stout Thane the factory MS3 but I didn't notice any extra NVH from it. Maybe power delivery felt smoother, but I'm unsure.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to keep the car running and hope a cool EV hot hatch comes out, or maybe eventually get an EV truck to tow my motorcycle to track days and haul plywood and lumber.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just got the end of lease inspection done on the GTI. The car is completely frosted over. I just shot the poo poo with inspector while he took the pictures he needed and left. A+ would recommend that guy.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

fknlo posted:

Just got the end of lease inspection done on the GTI. The car is completely frosted over. I just shot the poo poo with inspector while he took the pictures he needed and left. A+ would recommend that guy.

I tried really hard to figure out what this post means and still have no idea. That was a good inspection? Not bad? Why does ice on the car matter for such an event? Or is frosting slang for some sex act you kids like nowadays?

Do you have to talk to the inspector? Is that the point of the story that you charmed his socks off? This is so mysterious.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have you forgotten the history of his car? He was fortunate

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

I tried really hard to figure out what this post means and still have no idea. That was a good inspection? Not bad? Why does ice on the car matter for such an event? Or is frosting slang for some sex act you kids like nowadays?

Do you have to talk to the inspector? Is that the point of the story that you charmed his socks off? This is so mysterious.

The car has been in a serious accident and the whole front end has been repainted. I ended up getting a good paint job done, but Colorado is brutal on paint, windshields, and body panels but you couldn't actually see any of them because they were all covered in a thick layer of frost. So the inspector just walked around the car taking pictures of frost covered body panels while we talked about my M3 and then he went on his way. Like BlackMK4 said, I was very fortunate.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No sorry I don't recognize any posters in any forum outside of like two people in BFC so no the context was totally lost on me. You got in a major accident in a leased car and hid it from them somehow? Now I'm more confused, wouldn't you need some illegal chop shop to pull that off?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah Damond side mounts are supposed to be good- be a little extra NVH compared to the stock ones but not too bad.

Dunno if I'd go with their RMM unless you wanna deal with some vibes though (looks like a solid block with two little bushings at the cross bolt contact points)- I went with a Mountune one and it's barely noticeable but definitely on the softer side for an aftermarket RMM.

My crosspost from the MZR thread, but I feel like "a little NVH" is an understatement, unless I completely forgot to do something after installing the pmm:

I haven't had a chance to do the trans mount yet, but I pulled my replaced PMM and installed the Damond one, and holy poo poo, is it ever loud. The OEM pmm was still in tact and seemed healthy.

I will do the trans mount and see how it feels, but I'm not sure if I will keep the pmm or remove it. Or maybe it will brake in a little and get less bad. Who knows?

I at least need to go get an alignment and do an autocross now that I got poly-mounts-bro.

Oh, also, discovered an oil leak at what I think is the gasket between the oil cooler and the spin on filter housing. So I guess I need to order and install the updated cooler, and I guess do a coolant change since I think you have to drain the coolant to remove the cooler.

Great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

No sorry I don't recognize any posters in any forum outside of like two people in BFC so no the context was totally lost on me. You got in a major accident in a leased car and hid it from them somehow? Now I'm more confused, wouldn't you need some illegal chop shop to pull that off?

Nah, I didn't hide anything. The guy had a paint thickness meter which showed that the front end had been repainted. A picky inspector could have done some work on me. This guy wasn't that and the frost covering all the imperfections on the car didn't hurt at all. He might have decided the plethora of chips on the hood and front end due to being non-factory paint was a bit much to ignore except he couldn't see them. So I was fortunate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

generally lease turn guys are looking at it from a value perspective - they're not going to wring blood out of you if they're going to be able to get a decent margin off of it on the used market

i turned in a (granted, very desirable) 2010 128i Deep Sea Blue metallic sport package car with a horrible nick on the end of the door down to bare metal, a couple of other cosmetic issues, bald tires, etc and the dealer could not give a poo poo

edit: they also 100% run the carfax on VCI cars so brother man had a good idea of what happened

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

generally lease turn guys are looking at it from a value perspective - they're not going to wring blood out of you if they're going to be able to get a decent margin off of it on the used market

They aren't making poo poo on the used market with my car and I imagine it will probably just go to auction and end up at some shady buy here pay here lot. VW contracts out the inspection people, does everyone do that? He said that his report is basically the word of god and the dealer will just do an odometer check and that's that. I imagine that he's booked to the limit on inspections and probably loves cars covered in frost for a quick job with plausible deniability if there are any complaints on the condition of the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i promise you they are going to dump your car at auction for higher than the residual value

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

They aren't making poo poo on the used market with my car and I imagine it will probably just go to auction and end up at some shady buy here pay here lot. VW contracts out the inspection people, does everyone do that? He said that his report is basically the word of god and the dealer will just do an odometer check and that's that. I imagine that he's booked to the limit on inspections and probably loves cars covered in frost for a quick job with plausible deniability if there are any complaints on the condition of the car.

dude you leased the car. they don't have to sell it for much to ensure profit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i promise you they are going to dump your car at auction for higher than the residual value

Probably. I just turned it in, I'll have to look up the VIN at some point in a few months to see it's for sale somewhere.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a way to pause music on a GTI infotainment system? Obviously I can do it via navigating to the app playing music and pausing it via the screen, but there isn’t a way to quickly pause audio that doesn’t involve turning off the system.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Hi my name is Weebly and I like hatches.

It’s been 1 day since I purchased a hot hatch

2020 Civic Hatch

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Is there a way to pause music on a GTI infotainment system? Obviously I can do it via navigating to the app playing music and pausing it via the screen, but there isn’t a way to quickly pause audio that doesn’t involve turning off the system.

with ios 13 carplay now has a split screen between "now playing" and whichever map app you're using

other than that there's a mute button which doesnt pause it but also wont turn off the radio

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

BraveUlysses posted:

with ios 13 carplay now has a split screen between "now playing" and whichever map app you're using

other than that there's a mute button which doesnt pause it but also wont turn off the radio

When Apple added this functionality it made my goddamn year. Now with Sync 3 in my FoRS I can run Waze on the infotainment screen with Spotify running in the background and have my phone screen pulled up with the app that connects to my radar detector via Bluetooth for crowd sourced police locations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BraveUlysses posted:

That only applies for Apple Maps though. I’m hoping they’ll let 3rd parties access and API for it by iOS 15 or so. We’re back to where we were a couple of versions ago. Where’s the mute button?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its a physical button, upper right corner i think?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

On Android, and I would assume something similar on iOS, I can just voice command pause if that helps. Just "ok Google, pause music"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've been getting a little more frustrated with my MS3 and various maintenance issues coming up. My brother just happened to buy a Model 3 Performance ("stealth"), and consequently has a 2015 FiST he will need to sell.

So, I'm considering selling my MS3 and buying his FiSt off of him since it's a few years newer, lower mileage, better fuel economy, etc. It is basically a stock car with factory Recaros, although he did buy an AP for it along with a short shifter and some RPF1s.

I think if I do wind up going with this I will want to do the Sync 3 upgrade to get Android Auto.

Any reasons I should or shouldn't do this?

I have RPF1s on my MS3, currently, and I've still got the factory wheels sitting in my garage. I assume I'm not going to get any additional value out of the car selling them together. Would it make more sense to put some inexpensive tires on the OEM wheels, swap them back onto the car and sell the RPF1s separately?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you don't give a poo poo about interior quality go for it, that's my only complaint about the FiST.

Also yes I would without a doubt put the stock wheels back on and sell the RPF1s separate. Go to a used tire place and go that route.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah that is sort of disappointing, going from the MS3 GT trim with alcantara to the FiST interior. However, I think the ergonomics in the FiST might be slightly better for me, and the recaros are a tighter fit than the MS3 seats. The MS3 doesn't allow me to get the steering wheel close enough to my chest, while sitting far enough back for the pedals to be comfortable so I get a lot of strain on my shoulders in longer drives. As I recall after borrowing the FiST for a weekend a few years ago I think it was a little more comfortable.

Either way, I'm gonna borrow it for a few days again to see if I really want it.

I'm also not sure of exactly what my MS3 could be sold for these days. I've got just about 95k miles and the car is basically stock save for fresh shocks and struts, a rear swaybar, and the Damond engine mounts. I think I might go ahead and get a Dr. Colorchip set to fix a few scratches and polish the headlight lenses before I list it, if I sell it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think my only ergonomic complaint about the FiST is that the shifter is a little bit of an odd reach for 5th

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I've been getting a little more frustrated with my MS3 and various maintenance issues coming up. My brother just happened to buy a Model 3 Performance ("stealth"), and consequently has a 2015 FiST he will need to sell.

So, I'm considering selling my MS3 and buying his FiSt off of him since it's a few years newer, lower mileage, better fuel economy, etc. It is basically a stock car with factory Recaros, although he did buy an AP for it along with a short shifter and some RPF1s.

I think if I do wind up going with this I will want to do the Sync 3 upgrade to get Android Auto.

Any reasons I should or shouldn't do this?

I have RPF1s on my MS3, currently, and I've still got the factory wheels sitting in my garage. I assume I'm not going to get any additional value out of the car selling them together. Would it make more sense to put some inexpensive tires on the OEM wheels, swap them back onto the car and sell the RPF1s separately?

Are you sure the 2015 can do the Sync 3 upgrade? I think it might only be the 2016+ hardware.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

xsf421 posted:

Are you sure the 2015 can do the Sync 3 upgrade? I think it might only be the 2016+ hardware.

It appears to be possible.

Although this is much more expensive than I realized. Maybe I misunderstood other tutorials I read that claimed it was an under $500 upgrade. Perhaps that was for 2016+ cars. :(

https://www.4dtech.com/14-15-ford-fiesta-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 6, 2019

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MetaJew posted:

It appears to be possible.

Although this is much more expensive than I realized. Maybe I misunderstood other tutorials I read that claimed it was an under $500 upgrade. Perhaps that was for 2016+ cars. :(

https://www.4dtech.com/14-15-ford-fiesta-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Yeah on my '16 RS it was just a software upgrade. '15 has the old hardware that doesn't support sync 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Pre-2016s requires you to source a sync 3 unit, remove the plastic cladding, and swap the two. Not entirely super hard as I hear.

https://youtu.be/yjWmBL23r4U