Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The i200c also has Bluetooth. I haven't used it but I'm told it's very convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Trivia posted:

The i200c also has Bluetooth. I haven't used it but I'm told it's very convenient.

Yeah, while not necessary being able to sync dives to subsurface using my phone right out of a dive is actually great. If subsurface's mobile app typing wasn't rear end I'd be able to log notes too.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I have a Galileo G2 with AI.
Over the last ~20 dives, the AI had short time failures at least 10 times (beep - lost connection. Arms stretched too far? Too much crap in the water?). A minute later it was okay again. I have AI mainly so i can check after the dives when I use more air and for convenience. I’d NEVER dive without a separate gauge. Imagine having a bit of a panic cause you can’t get your air supply shown underwater.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Complete amateur question: You protect your eyes with goggles, you protect your mouth and nose with the thing you cover your mouth and nose with...... how do you protect your ears?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Earmuffs, obviously.

(You don't)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A hood. Once you put a hood on, and it fills with water, you are basically deaf.

What do you want to protect your ears from? It's an odd question.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

A hood. Once you put a hood on, and it fills with water, you are basically deaf.

Sea spiders, obviously.

If you can't tolerate water in your ears, diving probably isn't a great hobby.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Weirdly, I can’t tolerate water in my ears while I’m swimming. I’m perfectly fine if I’m underwater, though. Having one ear full and one not is just completely disconcerting to me for whatever reason, but if they’re both full I don’t feel anxious about it at all :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Squashy Nipples posted:

Lionfish hunting with a Glock is a thing.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Lionfish hunting with a Glock is a thing.

Let me guess: Florida

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ding ding ding!

https://youtu.be/-1yM2wOGNE8

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Because gently caress THE REEF and gently caress OTHER SPECIES!

Jesus, people are dumb. What's so hard about using a speargun? Lionfish don't exactly swim away IME.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Huh. I thought making your own silencer was quite illegal

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sharkytm posted:

Because gently caress THE REEF and gently caress OTHER SPECIES!

Jesus, people are dumb. What's so hard about using a speargun? Lionfish don't exactly swim away IME.

I figured the issue was not killing lionfish fast enough with just spearguns, but I know very little about spearguns. Is it possible to reload and use them more than once in a dive?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I figured the issue was not killing lionfish fast enough with just spearguns, but I know very little about spearguns. Is it possible to reload and use them more than once in a dive?

Yes. There's no good reason to use a gun, which is how I knew it was the US, and probably Florida.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yes. There's no good reason to use a gun, which is how I knew it was the US, and probably Florida.

Yeah, I guess we can add lead poisoning to the list of reef woes :smith:

Apparently iRobot, maker of Roombas and robotic pool cleaners, wants to build a lionfish-killing ROV, which sounds like a possibly good idea. I am envisioning it having a hose that can vacuum lionfish into a collection apparatus for study and/or disposal with an adorable little "fwump" sound, but since iRobot is a Florida-based company it'll probably use twin AKs from Palmetto State Armory.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2019

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

TBF, reloading a speargun takes quite some time from what I've seen. Also: depending on the model you then have the lionfish speared and need to remove it first, which isn't that easy given that it's venomous (poisonous? I can never get that straight).

None of that makes this not stupid.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The kind of spear you use for a lionfish only has a single band, there's no trigger or even gun involved in any way. The only way it could possibly be simpler is if you just tried to stab them directly with it without using the band, but good luck on that. This is the type of spear we use, and is the common type for lionfish:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Lion-Fish-Pole-Spear-p/mlfk.htm

The lionfish aren't difficult to remove from the spear, either. There are purpose-designed keepers for them that keep them from poking you after you spear them, and help remove them from your spear once you put them inside.

https://www.reef.org/products/zookeeper-lionfish-containment-device

Think like a funnel, except it has some cuts up and down the body of it to allow bigger things to pass through. Beef it up a little bit, and you've got a zookeeper mouth.

There's no context in which taking a glock underwater is not stupid. Ease of using spears, getting the lionfish into your zookeeper/container, lead in the water column, the sound has to be horrific, gun lubricants are going to wash into the water, and then cleaning the thing is going to be a royal pain in the rear end afterwards.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Florida Man knows no bounds of shame or decency, 'tis true :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The most effective Lionfish hunters I've ever seen use a simple three-pronged hand spear and a "Zookeeper" (a game bag built like a big sharps containers).

Stab, deposit, stab, deposit... Lionfish Sue was a loving machine. I don't see why you would need a gun of any sort.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I work with a guy like that. He brought back 19 lionfish on his own, on a single dive. Our record for a day is somewhere around 75. I did the math on it randomly and it worked out to a lionfish encounter every for 90 seconds of dive time...so as one diver found, speared, and put away a lionfish, the other was already tracking another and moving towards it.

:unsmith:

I think the best we’re going to do with them is drive them to deeper waters. If we continually kill off the ones that spawn shallow or make their way shallow (less than 100ft), that’s probably the best case result (and even that’s probably too much to hope for).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kesper North posted:

My bad, I didn't mean a Sea Hunt-style speargun. I use a pole spear with a loop of bungee tubing on the end. Hawaiian slings aren't recommended for lionfish because the spear isn't retained by the handle, and are more likely to damage the reef. The lionfish don't exactly swim quickly, or at all most of the time, so there's no need for a long tethered spear.

And yes, you can reload a speargun. It's just a bungee cord and spear, or a compressed air tank. Some use springs. All are re-loadable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TOuMYztnE4

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, I guess we can add lead poisoning to the list of reef woes :smith:

Apparently iRobot, maker of Roombas and robotic pool cleaners, wants to build a lionfish-killing ROV, which sounds like a possibly good idea. I am envisioning it having a hose that can vacuum lionfish into a collection apparatus for study and/or disposal with an adorable little "fwump" sound, but since iRobot is a Florida-based company it'll probably use twin AKs from Palmetto State Armory.
He claimed to be using lead-free projectiles, but the powder and steel aren't great either.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The most effective Lionfish hunters I've ever seen use a simple three-pronged hand spear and a "Zookeeper" (a game bag built like a big sharps containers).

Stab, deposit, stab, deposit... Lionfish Sue was a loving machine. I don't see why you would need a gun of any sort.
The Zookeepers are great. I've used all sorts of containers for them. Dominica was a plastic file folder box with a star-cut lid and a bungee on it to hold it shut. I was stuffed when I was done.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I work with a guy like that. He brought back 19 lionfish on his own, on a single dive. Our record for a day is somewhere around 75. I did the math on it randomly and it worked out to a lionfish encounter every for 90 seconds of dive time...so as one diver found, speared, and put away a lionfish, the other was already tracking another and moving towards it.

:unsmith:

I think the best we’re going to do with them is drive them to deeper waters. If we continually kill off the ones that spawn shallow or make their way shallow (less than 100ft), that’s probably the best case result (and even that’s probably too much to hope for).
When I was diving in Dominca, I speared 25 on one dive, and 18 on the next. They're completely oblivious. We were diving an uncommon location, and they were everywhere. They aren't going to be eradicated, but we're definitely driving them deeper and hopefully making them spawn earlier when they're smaller and produce fewer viable eggs.

Hopefully the push to put lionfish on restaurant menus is successful, and commercial fishermen can figure out how to target them without impacting other species.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 8, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’re completely oblivious, until you miss :v: Suddenly they know exactly what you’re about and those big frilly fins disappear, and you swear they swim faster than they have any right to based on their shape. I had one try to hide on me one day, I could feel it zipping around my shoulders/BC before it dove back down to the reef crevice where I found it...and facing away from me :getin:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

If I lived in the affected areas I'd be tempted to fill a big aquarium with lionfish. They're pretty.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If I lived in the affected areas I'd be tempted to fill a big aquarium with lionfish. They're pretty.

That’s what the people whose fish these are descended from thought, too...

They’re super tasty, though.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Timmy Age 6 posted:

That’s what the people whose fish these are descended from thought, too...

What's the worst case if I caught a lionfish and tossed in an aquarium in Florida? That it would somehow get back into the ocean?

I mean, I'm not moving to Florida, but theoretically.

Edit: hell, you wouldn't even have to feed them, just go get a new one

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 8, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Edit: hell, you wouldn't even have to feed them, just go get a new one

Umm... Not cool. Killing them quickly is one thing, starving them to death is just cruel.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Umm... Not cool. Killing them quickly is one thing, starving them to death is just cruel.

Fine. Eat them and replace them once a week or something. It's just a silly hypothetical.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 9, 2019

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sue from JADS? Or a different Sue?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They are cool looking and I have some pictures of them.

They are a lot smaller dead, though. First time I was on a lionfish hunt (in Aruba with a JADS, which explains my above post), I was shocked at what they looked like on the shore vs hanging out in the reef.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Reminder that water distorts your vision and makes everything look a touch bigger :)

I always think I’m bringing back monsters, then I dump them out of the zookeeper and I’m wondering where all the monsters snuck off to :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

let it mellow posted:

Sue from JADS? Or a different Sue?

Yup, the very same, as previously discussed.

Here she is in action, clipping the fins:

This is her kill from one dive, and it's even more impressive when you consider she was juggling two newbie divers (and two experienced divers).

And finally, why we kill these fuckers:

I think that's a baby snapper?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Reminder that water distorts your vision and makes everything look a touch bigger :)

This is SO frustrating when you first start lobstering.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

And finally, why we kill these fuckers:

I think that's a baby snapper?

holy poo poo

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Whatup from Bonaire. It's as nice as everyone says, and everyone should go at some point. Today was day 1, so we slept in, did a buoyancy check and baseline dive at yellow submarine, then went to Bachelor's Beach, driving past about 15 trucks parked at North Belnem, and did a nice 45 minute dive by ourselves. Great vis, a little wave action at the entrance/beach, 88° surface, 84° bottom.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I went out for a night dive last night with some friends. We had two harbor seals show up and hunt by our lights. It was very, very cool and the seals didn't mind getting close to us at all. In retrospect I feel like helping the seals hunt was a little over my "don't touch the nature" line but it was an interesting experience. There were a bunch of people fishing for squid off of a pier nearby, but we didn't get to see any in the water - I guess the squid stay too far up in the water column at night.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some parts of that you can’t help.

@sharky: you’ll see this when you do a night dive there. The tarpon are going to be borderline brushing you as they use your flashlights to hunt. No concept of personal space, shame, or regret. It’s cool to be that close to a big fish, though :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's fun when manta rays do it too. Remember to duck, and don't wear a snorkle.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

Whatup from Bonaire. It's as nice as everyone says, and everyone should go at some point. Today was day 1, so we slept in, did a buoyancy check and baseline dive at yellow submarine, then went to Bachelor's Beach, driving past about 15 trucks parked at North Belnem, and did a nice 45 minute dive by ourselves. Great vis, a little wave action at the entrance/beach, 88° surface, 84° bottom.

Something special.... see if the three seahorses are still there on the return

Also on an off day make sure to hit the donkey sanctuary and then go the the Cadushy distillery. Long drive to the distillery but it’s cool.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had baby green sea turtles ( :3: ) come see us at Karpata, 1000 steps, and the salt pier. Never did find a seahorse, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We always make time to drive through Washington park.