Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, this whole thing makes me feel bad for legitimately enjoying FMA: Brotherhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hub Cat posted:

Nah if it was an actual court order one of the twitter lawyers would have posted it by now. Its probably just a preservation letter, basically the d's lawyers giving them an unfriendly reminder of their duty not to destroy evidence relevant to litigation, probably enumerating the kinds of documents they are interested in, and making sure they know litigation is pending.
If they destroy evidence after they know litigation is imminent the judge/jury legally assumes that it was bad for them.
If I was them I would be very concerned for Vic because Lemoine has consistently waited till he had everything wrapped up and just uses things to tie the bow.

Hahahah gently caress. :munch:

If Vic's mom is getting dragged directly into this, I can only hope it gets worse for him overall. Here's hoping he gets cut off from the ol' family fortune... :pray:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Man, this whole thing makes me feel bad for legitimately enjoying FMA: Brotherhood.

I've never watched either series dubbed, but if it helps you, just think about how he's only one voice actor among a lot of characters. He voiced one of the most important characters, sure, but Mignogna being a creeper tool doesn't invalidate all the work the animators, and other actors put in. Or maybe watching it subbed might help?

Sometimes, you can't break away the actor/artist from the art, and that's okay. But I don't think you should feel bad for having liked something, just because one out of many involved turned out to be gross.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'll say this; I enjoy the dub for FMA (both series) more than subs and it wasn't even Ed that made it for me. The whole EN cast was awesome and even though I knew Vic was a creeper after getting wind of it on some internet spaces back in middle/high school, the loser wasn't enough to contaminate how good FMA was in general.

Like, I'm saying him voicing Ed is not what defines a series that is rich in so many other themes and emotions(as much as the Vic stans want you to believe). Even years later, there are people who bring up FMA fondly and they're usually talking about other aspects of the show.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

dwarf74 posted:

The sub version still exists, you could enjoy Romi Park instead.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wasabi the J posted:

Risembool Rangers

Of course that's what they're called. Of course.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I enjoy Fullmetal and greatly enjoyed Vic's performance as Ed. Hell I have enjoyed many of Vic's performances he's a good voice actor in my opinion. Does not excuse his creepy behavior, and the fact he should not get work in the industry again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One role of Vic's I was reminded of when I started re-watching a series was Soul Eater, where he plays the father of one of the leads, Spirit. Spirit spends almost all his time being a womanizer and do gross things like only take attendance of female students. His daughter sees right through him and mostly dunks on him. It was the part he was born to play, baby.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

One role of Vic's I was reminded of when I started re-watching a series was Soul Eater, where he plays the father of one of the leads, Spirit. Spirit spends almost all his time being a womanizer and do gross things like only take attendance of female students. His daughter sees right through him and mostly dunks on him. It was the part he was born to play, baby.

all this shitbaby behavior is just him getting too deep into rohan kishibe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Patware posted:

all this shitbaby behavior is just him getting too deep into rohan kishibe

Method voice acting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

dwarf74 posted:

Just think of it as supporting the Author, who from what I can tell is pretty decent.

There's a pretty good story in the back of one of the books where she met a neighbor's kid and told her she drew manga, the kid was super happy that she drew manga and was like "Oooh, you must draw a bunch of pretty princesses!" Hiromu said that internally she was like "Nope, just a bunch of sweaty old men."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
if yall would read the manga like god intended you wouldn't have to worry about some dbag ruining one of the greatest action adventure stories of all time for you

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And then read Farm Metal Agriculturalist aka Silver Spoon

Compendium fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 9, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

if yall would read the manga like god intended you wouldn't have to worry about some dbag ruining one of the greatest action adventure stories of all time for you

I mean you say that but Rurouni Kenshin

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm watching FMA: B with my girlfriend, who has no anime experience, and we're watching it subbed. I explained that we could watch it dubbed but the actor for the main character is a gross creepy pedophile and I asked her if she was ok with subtitles and she said yeah.

She's enjoying the show a lot. We finished episode 28 last night.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Nah if it was an actual court order one of the twitter lawyers would have posted it by now. Its probably just a preservation letter, basically the d's lawyers giving them an unfriendly reminder of their duty not to destroy evidence relevant to litigation, probably enumerating the kinds of documents they are interested in, and making sure they know litigation is pending.
If they destroy evidence after they know litigation is imminent the judge/jury legally assumes that it was bad for them.
If I was them I would be very concerned for Vic because Lemoine has consistently waited till he had everything wrapped up and just uses things to tie the bow.

A least one or more of those people are totally gonna try and destroy evidence.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think at this point Lemoine is fighting himself in 11th dimensional chess, there was a hearing today
Sounds like Chupp is sick of everyone's poo poo
Ty is definitely sidelined
Denied deposing Slatosch
Denied Beard's Sanction motion
Told Beard team to fix their poo poo with the appeal
All but said he was willing to sanction Beard based on his frivolous filings

https://twitter.com/Sean_P_Hassan/status/1192956506704109568?s=20

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 9, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the transcript for yesterday's hearing has been funded, not via gfm though:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192995283464052736
next hearing is the 21st for sanctions, expect comedy then

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Watching the dub isn’t really supporting in any real sense as they don’t sell them individually so if you support one you are supporting the other

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is vic still collecting royalties on fma or something? I'd think the reason to not watch the dub is just being repulsed by the knowledge that you're listening to the voice of a rapist, not any concern with where your money is headed

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

He did FMA as a contractor so there's no royalties involved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ignis posted:

He did FMA as a contractor so there's no royalties involved.

There's no residuals for voicing the main character in a popular anime? Like, almost everyone with a speaking part in Twilight or whatever is still collecting checks from that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

There's no residuals for voicing the main character in a popular anime? Like, almost everyone with a speaking part in Twilight or whatever is still collecting checks from that.

Typically, no. VA work for anime is one of the worst paying fields in the entertainment industry.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember how there was a whole huge voice actor strike a while back

there was a reason

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anime VA work is notoriously low paying, and I think Vic is non-union as well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Long story short: worker's rights in America is a joke and, until the workers unite into a unit and dethrone the capitalist overlords, the horrors of capitalist oppression will continue to seep from every pour of our diseased society.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I was told by a few VAs some years ago that there are almost no VAs that don't have second jobs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's worse is Texas is a non-union state (or 'right to work' as it's delightfully called) so the Voice Actors Guild doesn't have any sway there. There's certainly going to be nothing like residuals. And Takoluka is right, if you want a job as a voice actor you either move to LA where you are always on the hustle for the next gig and really your job is auditioning more than acting or you're in Texas where you do something else. It's why Sabat opened his own studio and other folks also do script writing and directing and such.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Right to Work needs to be repealed, if we're going to be honest. It's not surprising but horrifying how workers not only lack representation but are explicitly forbidden from seeking it out.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Right to Work needs to be repealed, if we're going to be honest. It's not surprising but horrifying how workers not only lack representation but are explicitly forbidden from seeking it out.

That's not what RtW does. It doesn't forbid workers from seeking representation. It just says that if you're part of a collective bargaining unit, you can't be required to pay for representation - basically you don't have to pay dues. It's still lovely because the explicit purpose is to starve out unions. Without dues money, it's harder for unions to be political players, and it adversely affects how much staff the local can hire for representation or keep money in the coffers for various other functions.

e: well, that's how it works in my state anyway, it might be different elsewhere

Skypie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 9, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skypie posted:

That's not what RtW does. It doesn't forbid workers from seeking representation. It just says that if you're part of a collective bargaining unit, you can't be required to pay for representation - basically you don't have to pay dues. It's still lovely because the explicit purpose is to starve out unions. Without dues money, it's harder for unions to be political players, and it adversely affects how much staff the local can hire for representation or keep money in the coffers for various other functions.

e: well, that's how it works in my state anyway, it might be different elsewhere

Nah that’s how it works. Capital figured out explicit banning was pointless so they went with more indirect methods

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skypie posted:

I mean, I know, but I'm cutting to the chase and jumping around the rhteroical "Whataboutism" that is usually used to mask the law's intentions.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/wqsaves/status/1193213723164446722

Covok
May 27, 2013

What does this have to do with anything?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Covok posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Yeti Cup is a bracket to determine the worst pro-Vic tweets

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Skwirl posted:

That’s because they’re members of the Screen Actor’s Guild and the Guild negotiates residual rates. (And works to break “Hollywood accounting” that makes possible claims like “Return of the Jedi hasn’t made money yet, so no residuals.”)

In other words, unions good, despite the fact that some people who turn out to be lovely will be seeing money from work they did a long time ago.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I still laugh at that Yakuza tweet, same with the guy advising to throw a tantrum to change the verdict.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I still laugh at that Yakuza tweet, same with the guy advising to throw a tantrum to change the verdict.

Excuse me, I AM REALITY

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It's also a delight somebody actually told Chupp while they were passing the Bar he was mastering the blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lmao I forget sometimes how dog poo poo stupid those people are. "I AM reality!" I love it.