Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/QYOs5Ok.mp4
fix'd

ship snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i'm fartøyene

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i'm fartøyene
but doctor, i am fartøyene!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

/fast commercial voice AskYourDoctorIfFartøyeneIsRightForYou

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/__apf__/status/1192666743623151616

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

He's a ghost, he's a goon
He's watching anime on hulu
You're one soggy chicken strip
In his depressing evening plans
Designed and directed by
His ranch right hand

*BONG*

:golfclap:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilqkSOflIKc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://i.imgur.com/q8hFQE5.gifv

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

I call this one "Light Pollution Is A Whore And I'm 5 Minutes From Buying A .22 And Shooting Out Some Street Lights"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

owned

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Golden-i posted:

I call this one "Light Pollution Is A Whore And I'm 5 Minutes From Buying A .22 And Shooting Out Some Street Lights"

you do some quality work

i've been saving these for a folder of high-res astronomy wallpapers, so i really appreciate you posting them

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

infernal machines posted:

you do some quality work

i've been saving these for a folder of high-res astronomy wallpapers, so i really appreciate you posting them

Thanks! I'll keep posting them, I just got a new telescope so I'll be using it a shitload this winter.

That one was a bit of an experiment - there's an LED streetlight about 100 feet north of where I shoot these when I'm at home, and it's the only place that I can shoot from on my property without tree cover. Last time I tried to shoot at a park nearby, the cops shut me down before I could even get set up (suburb cops - they're so bored, at least they were polite about it).

That one had my scope pointed less than 90 degrees from the light, almost straight up, so I was really curious to see how bad it got. The bottom of the image is the side towards the light... you can really see the glow, and that's after I spent a couple hours loving with it in post-processing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Golden-i posted:

wow that looks great

i can see the streak zoomed in from exposure time. how long is it? what kind of post processing do you?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 8, 2019

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Good Sphere posted:

wow that looks great

i can see the streak zoomed in from exposure time. how long is it? what kind of post processing do you?

90 mins (30x3min). The tracking was good on this one, actually - I think the streaking you can see is an artifact of how badly noise reduction went in post-processing, which I did about 2 hours of this morning. Here's the pre-processed stack image, just the exposures with their histogram stretched, if you're curious how bad it was when I started:

That glow from the bottom is from that LED streetlight - and I use a wideband light pollution filter, too, but there's just nothing you can do about LED as far as I know. I spent a lot of time using PixInsight to reduce the glow, increase contrast, and reduce the noise as much as possible, but this was a seriously challenging one for me.

And yeah, for processing, I use PixInsight for registering, stacking, and processing. Mostly just multiple steps of increasing contrast, masking details and reducing noise/improving signal, repeat. It's a freaking amazing piece of software, worth every penny if you're into this stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

lol

Golden-i posted:

90 mins (30x3min). The tracking was good on this one, actually - I think the streaking you can see is an artifact of how badly noise reduction went in post-processing, which I did about 2 hours of this morning. Here's the pre-processed stack image, just the exposures with their histogram stretched, if you're curious how bad it was when I started:

That glow from the bottom is from that LED streetlight - and I use a wideband light pollution filter, too, but there's just nothing you can do about LED as far as I know. I spent a lot of time using PixInsight to reduce the glow, increase contrast, and reduce the noise as much as possible, but this was a seriously challenging one for me.

And yeah, for processing, I use PixInsight for registering, stacking, and processing. Mostly just multiple steps of increasing contrast, masking details and reducing noise/improving signal, repeat. It's a freaking amazing piece of software, worth every penny if you're into this stuff.

I’m sure there is good reason why you can’t do this, but don’t LEDs traditionally create some pretty narrow band light? I’m sure if it was that simple it’d theoretically be easy to use some kind of notch filter.. so why doesn’t it work?

Unless I suppose they’re using some phosphorescence to get broader spectrums?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

echinopsis posted:

I’m sure there is good reason why you can’t do this, but don’t LEDs traditionally create some pretty narrow band light? I’m sure if it was that simple it’d theoretically be easy to use some kind of notch filter.. so why doesn’t it work?

Unless I suppose they’re using some phosphorescence to get broader spectrums?

I'm still learning, but I think it's that LEDs hit a range of wavelengths in the blue range, which I need when shooting visible light. I'm curious about how it will affect narrowband shooting (hydrogen alpha, etc) but don't plan to get into that until at least next year - the filters are expensive as hell and I'll probably move to a monochrome camera for narrowband, which is also pricey.

I'm glad I have a dark site up north where the cops won't get called on me, at least. Super excited to haul the new telescope up there for the first time and see what I can get, hopefully in the coming weeks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Golden-i posted:

I'm glad I have a dark site up north where the cops won't get called on me, at least. Super excited to haul the new telescope up there for the first time and see what I can get, hopefully in the coming weeks.

how's work in the ol' CIA these days?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, how many cia agents do we have in the 'pos?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

not me...

is not something a cia agent would say...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Golden-i posted:

that's an odd name for the North American Nebula but I certainly sympathize

really good work, it's as good as the photos I remember from my parents' old Time Life books

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Binary Badger posted:

that's an odd name for the North American Nebula but I certainly sympathize

really good work, it's as good as the photos I remember from my parents' old Time Life books

I know, but i felt like it rolled off of my tongue easily, for some reason

also, thanks!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol.

i eagerly await the invention of the tuneable maser

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

someone didn't cut off the rest of the sprue before gluing their IG army together

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tesla Troopers will be real soon

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
staff sergeant bagelslicer reporting for duty SIR

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

and if anyone wants:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

idk if this is really av material but i made it into one anyway

edit: i made all this before seeing nmn's post honestly cross my heart etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a CIA operative

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

fffffuck this owns

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

NoneMoreNegative posted:

and if anyone wants:

Sombrerotron posted:

gently caress yeah

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

on the topic of wizards

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

idk how many postes it would get but maybe a sister thread to the Cyberpunk Forum Names for new Avs? I know there's a few that I've put ITT have been taken though so maybe they are better here where the traffic is :o:

a good background for a Smoka-style av

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Always trust the wizard.
Always.

Not a HP reference, but an old SA reference.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It's Friday and I'm partying hard tonight

lol j/k here's what the East Veil Nebula would look like in a CGA game

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I got real mad at this for ripping off the music from the Kefrens "Desert Dreams" Amiga demo for the first couple of minutes, until I realised :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Golden-i posted:

that sounds like a lot of work, but definitely worth it in the end

i tried to give it a shot on my phone and it’s almost impossible without having proper control of layers that you can tweak later

i decided to make an art instead