Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LifeLynx posted:

Is there any proof that the financial decision makers at Hasbro/WotC are hurting over this Oko business, or any bad decision WotC has made this year? I don't see anyone boycotting or quitting Magic. Not sure if I'm being overly cynical about things changing for the better.
no, and tbh I wouldnt expect big changes. Maybe they will actually pull back a little on 3 mana walkers at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

LifeLynx posted:

Is there any proof that the financial decision makers at Hasbro/WotC are hurting over this Oko business, or any bad decision WotC has made this year? I don't see anyone boycotting or quitting Magic. Not sure if I'm being overly cynical about things changing for the better.

They are very aware of tournament attendance and cannot possibly be happy at two major Standard events turning into Pioneer at short notice - and getting positive player feedback from it.

That's just absurd; after many years of running events for grinders, I was shocked anyone would change a major tournament format with such short notice, and even more shocked that the players were happy about it. Standard has to be reviled for players to be happy that their testing is thrown out the window.

And they certainly know Standard attendance is really important to their pack sales - only Standard and Draft events count for our engaged player count as WPN stores, for example, which is an important metric. So they're going to be aware of and care that Standard is bad, and I'd be shocked if they didn't ban multiple cards on the 18th to try to fix it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Brownhat posted:

That's only Pioneer.

welp :downs:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Untap is a really great site to use if you like getting called a slur every time you play a counter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
WOTC is doing everything they can to not show oko on camera.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

WOTC is doing everything they can to not show oko on camera.

Gonna be real hard to keep up as the weekend goes on.

https://twitter.com/rileyquarytower/status/1192900307686166528

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

We are going to see folks with losing records before they show an oko mirror.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The okocalypse

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Is the event with the playtest cards this weekend or is it next weekend?

Knowing wotc it probably wont get streamed at all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mossyfisk posted:

Could you actually short magic cards?

With the deck rental services I guess you could 'borrow' 20 Oko, sell them for TIX and buy them back to return after B&R.

Afaik not in paper. It was really more "Will Oko be banned and would you (theoretically) put your money where your mouth is?"

Though I'm sure some mtgfinance dudes could be talked into facilitating if you really wanted.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bugsy posted:

Is the event with the playtest cards this weekend or is it next weekend?

Knowing wotc it probably wont get streamed at all.

lol the first event was yesterday, and it won't get video coverage at all because there's no way for them to actually show the cards with their current technological setup.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

lol the first event was yesterday, and it won't get video coverage at all because there's no way for them to actually show the cards with their current technological setup.

what in the ever loving gently caress wizards

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

well as soon as you figure out a way to show cards on a video stream let wizards know. im making this post from 2001, shortly before the pocket cam was invented.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

rkajdi posted:

This is sad but understandable. I'm eyeing my exit from Modern right now, because if it becomes the new Legacy that only gets to fire once a month or less I'll just go with Pioneer as my preferred format. Fetches are already down a bit off their peak, with the only reason I can think of being their eternal support is softening a bit.

I know myself and my playgroup have went from absolutely loving modern starting in ~2013 into none of us having any desire to play the past couple years. Especially with the string of broken cards that have come out of sets this year.

Pioneer will probably be great soon as they get through the initial ban waves and it's somewhat safe to buy into whatever deck you want.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
You don't get to create a toxic format and then complain that people call you out on it during coverage. If you're gonna leave it be, own up to it and show it.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

moush posted:

You don't get to create a toxic format and then complain that people call you out on it during coverage. If you're gonna leave it be, own up to it and show it.

They almost always show less represented decks day 1 because they know they don't get a choice days 2 and 3.

They're showing the non-Oko stuff now because they know they'll spend the next two days of constructed play showing infinite Okos.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean we’ve been kind of braying about it for a while but this might be the worst Standard... ever

Spoken like someone who wasn't playing during Masques standard

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

909 md grasp, 514 md gust, 142 md dispute, 90 md veil.

All but Mystical Dispute are in the 20 most played cards overall (md + sb). Dispute is #21.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bugsy posted:

We're apparently not going to be able to buy them anyway, so why would they care?

:(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Masques Block was actually more lopsided than this standard, you're right. Masques Standard, both Urzas/Masques and Masques/Invasion, were tremendously more diverse.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd bet an entire dollar that a ban will either happen or be strongly insinuated to be a guarantee by a #wotcstaff on Twitter within the next 72 hours

Edit: Masques-Invasion was my very first standard format and it was Very Good

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 9, 2019

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Masques Block was actually more lopsided than this standard, you're right. Masques Standard, both Urzas/Masques and Masques/Invasion, were tremendously more diverse.

masuqes/invasion blue skies was the best bad deck

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is it worth trying to build a deck around x costed spells if I have Tron lands and zero other parts of a tron deck? Like walking ballistas, that x costed creature from eldraine and hydras and whatever?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think my favorite bad standard ever was when crop rotation was run specifically to counter tolarian academy

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

I wouldnt even waste the resources streaming this event if I was WoTC

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

PT NY (Masques, Nemesis) had 43% rebels day one, and Worlds 2000 was reasonably diverse in the full block constructed.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/AutumnLilyMTG/status/1192953657102389248

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
While I sympathize has tournaments ever let you play cards that have personal messages on them? Could be distracting to your opponent etc? Want to say that during an interview sure I’ll back you up there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

While I sympathize has tournaments ever let you play cards that have personal messages on them? Could be distracting to your opponent etc? Want to say that during an interview sure I’ll back you up there.

I can't find a rule that would keep these from being played in game. If they aren't against the rules, you better have a loving amazing reason to remove them.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

I can't find a rule that would keep these from being played in game. If they aren't against the rules, you better have a loving amazing reason to remove them.

Fair enough if they don’t break the rules judges kinda hosed up

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Combo winter and black summer were unironically more healthy formats than this current standard. :colbert:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Sickening posted:

it could be a clause ala Blizzard's recent Hearthstone punishments wrt "inciting statements" or whatever it was. Autumn could end up on camera with the lands in play, but I love that they posted about it though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wouldnt even waste the resources streaming this event if I was WoTC

they should have loving banned Oko on the 21st instead of allowing this to happen

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Big yikes, those are legal alters and they're not breaking any rules

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I want to see any one of you people claiming that "the rules" allow those cards to quote the exact rule you think says that.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Toshimo posted:

I want to see any one of you people claiming that "the rules" allow those cards to quote the exact rule you think says that.

Wouldn't it be assumed they're allowed unless there's a rule that says otherwise?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Are you not allowed to alter cards as you please so long as the vital information is still intact?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

Players may use any Authorized Game Cards from Magic: The Gathering expansions, core sets, special sets,
supplements, and promotional printings. Authorized Game Cards are cards that, unaltered, meet the following
conditions:

quote:

The Head Judge is the final authority on acceptable cards for a tournament.

Now, there's going to be variance between judges but, in the end, they are absolutely able to tell you what you can and can't have.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://twitter.com/AutumnLilyMTG/status/1192971251624665088?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Here's some more helpful tips about alters: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/06/tournament-tuesday-card-alters-and-you/