Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

All those sound up my alley (especially Haikyuu, love me some sports shounens), thanks both. My partner has been needling me to watch One Punch Man for a while, so I should probably get to that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AngryRobotsInc posted:

All those sound up my alley (especially Haikyuu, love me some sports shounens), thanks both. My partner has been needling me to watch One Punch Man for a while, so I should probably get to that too.

on a side note, if you enjoyed Devil is a Part Timer, you should really read the manga since I dunno if it's ever going to get a second season despite it apparently being like, #45 most popular anime on MAL ever and the first season being massively successful. The anime ends right before the start of an arc that lasts quite a long time and introduces some of the best characters, including Alas Ramas the all-powerful anklebiter and Gabriel the Archangel.

alas ramus is by far my favorite character in the manga, she makes every scene she's in way more fun. You'll probably have to buy the volumes on amazon and such since it got licensed real quick and so nobody translated the later stuff since it was getting localized already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe you'd enjoy the movie Redline? Not exactly violence but boy is it pretty and action-packed, and the animation is gloriously stylish, some of my favorite ever, even if the story is kind of crap.

And depending on your style tastes, maybe you'd also enjoy Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Dub or sub is fine, sub has Japanese voice actresses screaming poo poo and gently caress all the time, while the English one has US voice actresses doing the same and clearly reveling in it. It's fun, stupid, and often has a good amount of comedic action.

This does the english dub a severe disservice; It takes liberties with an already loose script to get creatively profane with its motherfucking dialogue. I'd say it's honestly the superior way to watch it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, but the japanese version is also good

both are good

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm open to just about anything, though, and am really just looking for something good and short-ish available on Netflix, that is suitable for one or two episodes each in the morning and the afternoon.

If you don't mind a character drama that's written with the clear intention of making the audience cry buckets, I would say watch one of my favorite shows of 2018, Violet Evergarden. It's only 13 episodes, and it's mostly episodic stories so watching one or two at a time should be fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you don't mind a character drama that's written with the clear intention of making the audience cry buckets, I would say watch one of my favorite shows of 2018, Violet Evergarden. It's only 13 episodes, and it's mostly episodic stories so watching one or two at a time should be fine.

That is definitely a show you only want to watch one episode at a time :ohdear:. There's actually technically 14 episodes now, as there's also an OVA out. (It's set fairly early on, between eps 2/3 or 3/4 I think?)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm down with an anime making me cry. I sobbed like a little bitch baby during a particular part of Gankutsuou. A friend of mine (who lives several states away) and I coordinated streaming that to watch together, and I had to straight tell him I was taking a break because I had to get the crying out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

It gets extremely, extremely stupid and I eventually dropped it around the time the protagonist and his new girlfriend hosed off to some other part of the island while there was a psychopath serial killer running a group of rapists and murderers opposing the original crew

I can only imagine it got dumber from there because I think it's still going, the original premise and first couple arcs were interesting but it kinda fell off a cliff in quality for me after a point. Also, I think there's a trans character who is...not handled well. Memory's hazy since I dropped it years ago though.

And iirc there's some survival tips that would straight up get you killed since some of the plants it suggests as scavenging food are actually poisonous lol

You tend generally find lots of good new mangas, I read a lot of your recommendations in the surreal manga thread. Has there been thriller mangas?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Redline is free on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIor7m_tnI

It's very good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty solid on this front.

Watched it as it aired. Show is so beautifully animated I didnt even care that the story didnt always grab me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe you'd enjoy the movie Redline? Not exactly violence but boy is it pretty and action-packed, and the animation is gloriously stylish, some of my favorite ever, even if the story is kind of crap.

And depending on your style tastes, maybe you'd also enjoy Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Dub or sub is fine, sub has Japanese voice actresses screaming poo poo and gently caress all the time, while the English one has US voice actresses doing the same and clearly reveling in it. It's fun, stupid, and often has a good amount of comedic action.

Redline was the first thing recommended to me when I first started posting here like 2 years ago. But Ill watch it again anyway just because. The other show looks similar in art style to something Ive seen before but I cant quite place it. Ill give it a shot anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Basically something like Big Trouble in Little China, but anime.

i don't really have a rec with standard violence, but Tenamonya Voyagers is an extremely over the top action/space road-trip OVA. only four eps because it got cancelled so there's not an actual ending, but the spectacle and humor is worth experiencing imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I watch random anime and documentaries while waiting for my son's school bus, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to pick up now that I'm wrapping up 72 Dangerous Animals: Asia, because there's just a whole bunch of options. My streaming option is just Netflix, because it's the only one that currently cooperates with my lovely rural satellite connection and my phone (I don't have internet on my phone besides Wi-Fi).

I like shounen that isn't a million episodes long (so nothing like Bleach or Naruto), magical girl, philosophical, and horror. I'm open to just about anything, though, and am really just looking for something good and short-ish available on Netflix, that is suitable for one or two episodes each in the morning and the afternoon. I save Netflix for that time period mostly since Crunchyroll and Hulu actually work on my PC, so something relatively compact, but a full story, which I can't really tell from just the summaries Netflix gives.

I've recently watched/rewatched and (mostly) enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K., Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Madoka, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Kakegurui, 7 Seeds (mad 'bout that cliffhanger, though), Death Note, Saint Seiya, and Castlevania. Also watched Children of the Whales, but wasn't terribly enthused by it.
Soul Eater might be up your alley, though the anime diverges pretty heavily from the manga by the end, the anime's still a solid story with an okay ending. (Though you can obviously tell the manga wasn't done since a few plot threads do get dropped.) It's an action series with a female lead, a cool power system that pushes character interaction (characters split into pairs to fight, one person turns into a weapon and the other person wields them), and a halloween aesthetic that makes it look distinct from other shonen.

For the most part it's consistently funny and the fights look great. It's about the length of FMA tho, which is definitely on the longer end of the stuff you mentioned.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Soul Eater constantly made me sympathize with the villains, up to a certain point where a character who was previously "kind of a jerk, but also... like... kind of fighting for her life given what the protagonists do for a living" is revealed to also be a horrific emotional abuser of her son at which point I stopped caring and dropped it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh also, AngryRobotsInc, there is a new shonen this season that the manga it's based on is one of my favorite shonen at the moment. It's called Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun and is really fun. It's about a boy who is sold by his terrible parents to a demon in order to pay off their debts. He is dragged to hell with the demon, who...just wanted a grandson to dote on. He's also the principal of the local demon school, and enrolls iruma into it. Shenanigans ensue, of course. It's very charming and all the main cast are great, especially Clara, the Worst Succubus in Existence. I know it's not on Netflix but it is on crunchyroll so it might be worth checking out when you can.

Ulio posted:

You tend generally find lots of good new mangas, I read a lot of your recommendations in the surreal manga thread. Has there been thriller mangas?
Monster would probably be a great read for you, if you've not read that yet. I've not watched the anime version but I'm sure it's quite good too. One of my favorite psychological thrillers out there. Also it has anime Wilford Brimley in it.

Furnaceface posted:

Watched it as it aired. Show is so beautifully animated I didnt even care that the story didnt always grab me.

Redline was the first thing recommended to me when I first started posting here like 2 years ago. But Ill watch it again anyway just because. The other show looks similar in art style to something Ive seen before but I cant quite place it. Ill give it a shot anyway.
PSG is explicitly designed after American cartoons of the dexter's lab and Powerpuff girls era, but way filthier. It was headed by Yoh Yoshinari who for a while at least had a deviantart account where he posted all sorts of western cartoon fanart. Spongebob, Powerpuff girls, etc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Soul Eater constantly made me sympathize with the villains, up to a certain point where a character who was previously "kind of a jerk, but also... like... kind of fighting for her life given what the protagonists do for a living" is revealed to also be a horrific emotional abuser of her son at which point I stopped caring and dropped it.

Out of curiosity how far did you get into the series?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh also, AngryRobotsInc, there is a new shonen this season that the manga it's based on is one of my favorite shonen at the moment. It's called Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun and is really fun. It's about a boy who is sold by his terrible parents to a demon in order to pay off their debts. He is dragged to hell with the demon, who...just wanted a grandson to dote on. He's also the principal of the local demon school, and enrolls iruma into it. Shenanigans ensue, of course. It's very charming and all the main cast are great, especially Clara, the Worst Succubus in Existence. I know it's not on Netflix but it is on crunchyroll so it might be worth checking out when you can.

Wanted to come back and say thanks for this one. My internet has been cooperating today, so I checked out the first episode, and it was preeeetty hilarious. I'll definitely be watching this one.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Monster would probably be a great read for you, if you've not read that yet. I've not watched the anime version but I'm sure it's quite good too. One of my favorite psychological thrillers out there. Also it has anime Wilford Brimley in it.

The anime is a very faithful adaptation of the manga, which is to say it's very good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've watched Monster, probably one of the best animes ever albeit a bit slow paced. It's one of the animes I would recommend to people who don't enjoy the medium. Never read the manga though, I read pluto which has great art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would recommend ERASED, either the manga or the anime, whichever you prefer, though I hear the anime ends poorly compared to the manga.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I had to run out, and just now finished the first episode, and based on that alone I can confirm Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun is amazing. Holy crap, that was funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

PSG is explicitly designed after American cartoons of the dexter's lab and Powerpuff girls era, but way filthier. It was headed by Yoh Yoshinari who for a while at least had a deviantart account where he posted all sorts of western cartoon fanart. Spongebob, Powerpuff girls, etc.

the director on psg was imaishi, yoshinari did a lot of work on it but his was more on the animation and art direction side. he's def the reason it maintains such a solid and consistent grasp on the style it goes for though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity how far did you get into the series?

I watched the anime up to the point I described, maybe a little further. It was years ago so I don't have an episode count or anything. If the manga does things in a different order or treats the characters in question differently I'd be curious to hear about it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dont really recall the soul eater character in question being terribly sympathetic before the spoilers events

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I watch random anime and documentaries while waiting for my son's school bus, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to pick up now that I'm wrapping up 72 Dangerous Animals: Asia, because there's just a whole bunch of options. My streaming option is just Netflix, because it's the only one that currently cooperates with my lovely rural satellite connection and my phone (I don't have internet on my phone besides Wi-Fi).

I like shounen that isn't a million episodes long (so nothing like Bleach or Naruto), magical girl, philosophical, and horror. I'm open to just about anything, though, and am really just looking for something good and short-ish available on Netflix, that is suitable for one or two episodes each in the morning and the afternoon. I save Netflix for that time period mostly since Crunchyroll and Hulu actually work on my PC, so something relatively compact, but a full story, which I can't really tell from just the summaries Netflix gives.

I've recently watched/rewatched and (mostly) enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K., Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Madoka, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Kakegurui, 7 Seeds (mad 'bout that cliffhanger, though), Death Note, Saint Seiya, and Castlevania. Also watched Children of the Whales, but wasn't terribly enthused by it.

you should watch mob psycho 100. on the surface it's kind of like a slightly more serious saiki, with a protagonist with crazy psychic powers who doesn't like using them because he's afraid of hurting people, and he works part-time for a phony psychic to fight off the occasional actual evil spirit that said phony psychic stumbles into. really funny, but also hits a lot of dramatic emotional beats really well, and one of the most visually impressive shows i've ever seen. it's by the same author as one-punch man, which somebody recommended earlier.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I dont really recall the soul eater character in question being terribly sympathetic before the spoilers events

It's a deliberately perverse reading, to be sure, but the series basically opens with "hell yeah let's genocide the witches" and I kept hoping there'd be some kind of turn, or complication, or redemption arc to make Soul Eater not just about a war of extermination. And that just... never happened.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I watched the anime up to the point I described, maybe a little further. It was years ago so I don't have an episode count or anything. If the manga does things in a different order or treats the characters in question differently I'd be curious to hear about it.

Medusa and her sister are basically rouge witches who do everything they can to gently caress with the worlds balance and are quite happy to target and harm their own kind to get it done. Witches in general do lean towards the chaotic side which is why there is the whole clash with Grim because he is an embodiment of order. Once that stuff is delved into and some change of leadership occur the resolution is very much about ending the conflict between the two sides.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a deliberately perverse reading, to be sure, but the series basically opens with "hell yeah let's genocide the witches" and I kept hoping there'd be some kind of turn, or complication, or redemption arc to make Soul Eater not just about a war of extermination. And that just... never happened.

The Anime never really gets into it, but the manga does Medusa and her sister Arachne are just awful evil people, but the other witches get a better shake and by the end of the series the witches and academy are working together to deal with the Kishin. There are explicitly good people who are witches, such as one of the students, Kim. As for Medusa, if you want to know her fate in the Anime/Manga: In the Anime, Maka kills her near the end to save Chrona and Dr. Stein. In the Manga, Medusa further abuses Chrona and has them betray the students, returning home with her. It culminates in the abusive mother telling Chrona that she loves them, which cause Chrona to snap and murder the hell out of her. Chrona gets redemption by the end, but yeah Medusa gets her due

Julias fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 10, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chrona is a they not a him

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah the frog witch at least always seemed fairly sympathetic, even if the other front and center witches weren't

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

the director on psg was imaishi, yoshinari did a lot of work on it but his was more on the animation and art direction side. he's def the reason it maintains such a solid and consistent grasp on the style it goes for though
oh my bad, I thought I had read that yoshinari was the one running the show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Basically something like Big Trouble in Little China, but anime.

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
might be worth asking here, Humble Bundle is selling a Monogatari Light Novel bundle, is it worth picking up? I know nothing about the Monogatari series but have seen the name fairly often, with various prefixes to the -monogatari name. is the series good, is the bundle worth it, is there a specific tier worth it if the top tier isn't, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's very good and deals with a lot of interesting character arcs in very engaging ways. its very stylistic with lots of weird conversations that go nowhere or double back on themselves but at its core its about people learning to cope with themselves, its neato. insanely horny tho. its an intentional character flaw of the protagonist because when it shifts to other characters that aspect gets dropped but its still a factor. id say its somewhere inbetween the dragon maid anime and the dragon maid manga in terms of how On it is about that stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sounds good, thanks!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
is the translation good, bad, or just kinda there?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone here watched or read The Kindaichi Case Files? Seems like it was pretty big in Japan, it has a bunch of adaptions in different media but this is the first I've heard of it while searching for some 90s manga to read. Kinda looks like Detective Conan but with older characters? Not sure. I know lots of people who recommended me Detective Conan, saying it's legit one of the best anime/manga's still airing today but it's has like a million episodes/chapters/movies.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whilst I'm not reading/watching any of the books/film adaptations, someone is LPing and translating one of the JP-only video games made by From Software, of all the developers.

LP starts here, if you're interested.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

first season of young kindaichi case files was dope, its cases are very phoenix wright-esque with their twists.

i didn't watch the second season cause i heard it fuckin sucked

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Anyone here watched or read The Kindaichi Case Files? Seems like it was pretty big in Japan, it has a bunch of adaptions in different media but this is the first I've heard of it while searching for some 90s manga to read. Kinda looks like Detective Conan but with older characters? Not sure. I know lots of people who recommended me Detective Conan, saying it's legit one of the best anime/manga's still airing today but it's has like a million episodes/chapters/movies.

I've watched some of the older anime series and the first movie. It's neat. What I watched had a different taste than what I've seen of Conan (tho heck, both are good) since there's more of an emphasis on how a murder can mentally affect the friends/family of the victim, how messed up it is that there is even a murder mystery to solve, etc. Not to say that it doesn't want the audience to play along with the mystery, mind you. It's a pretty solid choice if that's the kind of murder mystery you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.