Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Fallom posted:

Do they do it without hemming and hawing and declaring that they're doing you a one-time special favor that they won't ever do again

I think that's how their return policy works

Yeah they did the “one time” spiel, it was my second refund but I didn’t want to remind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DemoneeHo posted:

No, Ruby and Sapphire still had all of the data for the missing pokemon, allowing you to trade from Fire Red to Ruby, etc

Sword and Shield will not have any data for the missing Pokemon cut from the game. The game devs have stated they have no plans to add in the missing pokemon to SwSh. You will not be able to import any pokemon from previous generations to SwSh if they aren't in the Dex.

So they’ll release sequel games where you can get all of them. Once again, y’all need to have some patience. Anyway they could still theoretically release a massive patch to add them in. The only reason they would have included all of the data in Ruby/Sapphire is because they couldn’t add it in later.

Also sending Pokémon back to R/S was a dumb and bad idea because they were awful games that used a terrible font.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know, I have two of those already and am waiting for Black Friday/the holidays to expand the collection. I picked it up with odyssey, SSB, splatoon 2, and mariokart.

However, I asked about cases. :)

I gotta be able to carry this sucker around.

Oh, I misread. I like Hori’s cases and haven’t been done wrong with any of them.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

I have discovered a flaw in The Witcher III: Geralt cannot pet friendly dogs.

It's a rule that you can't pet dogs in any Switch games

It was Iawata's dying command

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So they’ll release sequel games where you can get all of them. Once again, y’all need to have some patience. Anyway they could still theoretically release a massive patch to add them in. The only reason they would have included all of the data in Ruby/Sapphire is because they couldn’t add it in later.

Also sending Pokémon back to R/S was a dumb and bad idea because they were awful games that used a terrible font.

They're reiterated multiple times that they won't do either of those. This is the standard going forward.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skrill.exe posted:

They're reiterated multiple times that they won't do either of those. This is the standard going forward.

Ah yes, because they won't see $$$ and say gently caress it lets rock

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is what I don't get about the rage of all this.

Yes, Sword Shield won't have all of the Pokemon, we get it. But what are the chances that they release like Gold Sword and Gold Shield or something like that two years from now and it has all of the Pokemon in the game? Or not even that... the next completely new iteration of Pokemon has all of the Pokemon in it.

So now because the point of Pokemon is "catching them all" are these people going to go back and Play Sword/Shield to get them all and then transfer them into the next game? Probably.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Are humans Pokémon? In 20 years of the show have they ever done an episode where a human was trapped in a Pokeball?

No. Every time a Pokéball has been shown hitting a human, it always bounces off like just a thrown ball without triggering the capture thing.

Humans have gotten transformed into Pokémon a couple of times, though, like that Ash-as-a-Pikachu episode.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

Ah yes, because they won't see $$$ and say gently caress it lets rock

Yeah, lol @ all those stupid fans, believing the explicit, official statements on the subject. Obviously they're just getting all the negative press for fun, and will turn around and patch in the missing 500 pokemon right away.

Seriously, even if you think they're lying and pokemon gun's will have all the pokemon again, it's still perfectly reasonable to be disappointed they're stripping them out for sword and shield. If you think they're lying about that too and are going to patch them in, why? Why on earth would they not say so and avoid all the negative press?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, lol @ all those stupid fans, believing the explicit, official statements on the subject. Obviously they're just getting all the negative press for fun, and will turn around and patch in the missing 500 pokemon right away.

Seriously, even if you think they're lying and pokemon gun's will have all the pokemon again, it's still perfectly reasonable to be disappointed they're stripping them out for sword and shield. If you think they're lying about that too and are going to patch them in, why? Why on earth would they not say so and avoid all the negative press?

Because it wouldn't be the first time outrage led to "due to popular demand we've done (blank) and will charge you ($x) to get it"?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

asecondduck posted:

It's a rule that you can't pet dogs in any Switch games

It was Iawata's dying command

Better let square enix know cause I just pet three different dogs in dq11

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I couldn't pet any of the cats though

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Layton definitely doesn't have the type of puzzles I was expecting it to but it's good enough so far. Voice acting was a neat unexpected bonus. Katrielle's outfit being changeable is neat; a yellow overcoat is much more dignified. :lofty:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

Because it wouldn't be the first time outrage led to "due to popular demand we've done (blank) and will charge you ($x) to get it"?

Sure, it's not unprecedented, but acting like it's not only inevitable but so obvious that anyone doubting it is stupid is just obnoxious. Especially because even if it does happen, making huge swaths of the pokedex dlc would still be a legitimate thing to be disappointed about!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Skrill.exe posted:

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve legit just read like half a dozen interviews with Masuda-san and I cannot find one where he says “we are never going to make another Pokémon game again with all the Pokémon in it.” Links please.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Snake Maze posted:

Sure, it's not unprecedented, but acting like it's not only inevitable but so obvious that anyone doubting it is stupid is just obnoxious. Especially because even if it does happen, making huge swaths of the pokedex dlc would still be a legitimate thing to be disappointed about!

Yeah but it's almost 2020 and getting actual gameplay features as DLC is unfortunately the norm

:negative:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve legit just read like half a dozen interviews with Masuda-san and I cannot find one where he says “we are never going to make another Pokémon game again with all the Pokémon in it.” Links please.

I also can't find anything about "future proofing" outside of outrage articles

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Baller Ina posted:

Layton definitely doesn't have the type of puzzles I was expecting it to but it's good enough so far. Voice acting was a neat unexpected bonus. Katrielle's outfit being changeable is neat; a yellow overcoat is much more dignified. :lofty:

I've been playing Layton vs Wright on the 3DS, and am definitely in the mood for a proper Layton game on the Switch. Will Lady Layton please me?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every post you make on this topic is somehow a louder fart then the ones I make. Incredible.

Link The plan moving forward is to make HOME a central hub where you'll store your pokemon and when the region calls for it you'll be able to pull those specific pokemon on on a per region basis.
Moving forward this is supposed to be the norm where future generations will be picked on the setting.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 9, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Why isn't anyone in the Pokémon universe pissed that the balls reliably break after one use, even if it doesn't work? Is it all just a scam? Do they work like CD-Rs from before buffer underrun protection was a thing? Can they be recycled?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lotion Tester posted:

Why isn't anyone in the Pokémon universe pissed that the balls reliably break after one use, even if it doesn't work? Is it all just a scam? Do they work like CD-Rs from before buffer underrun protection was a thing? Can they be recycled?

Wasn't there a episode of the anime where ash kept throwing the same ball at a snorlax or am I not remembering that right.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lotion Tester posted:

they are one time use and made from depleted uranium and have caused...problems

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Astro7x posted:

The part that rubbed me the wrong way was that it seemed like they were lying about their motivations for doing so.

Then further evidence seems to strengthen that suspicion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Much of those "lies" stated in this thread were actually mistranslations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

Yes, Sword Shield won't have all of the Pokemon, we get it. But what are the chances that they release like Gold Sword and Gold Shield or something like that two years from now and it has all of the Pokemon in the game? Or not even that... the next completely new iteration of Pokemon has all of the Pokemon in it.

So now because the point of Pokemon is "catching them all" are these people going to go back and Play Sword/Shield to get them all and then transfer them into the next game? Probably.

That's actually why people are upset. There's a couple people in this thread that are just shitposting because they think it's funny and it's whatever.

Masuda, the game director has gone on record saying that the pokemon cull was going to happen no matter what so they just decided to do it sooner rather than later and they have no real desire to go back to including all of them in a single game. Instead he's hoping that Pokemon HOME will be a good place to store your mons while they wait for a chance to eventually maybe one day show up again in years time as generations moving forward will have their own specific rosters.

This rubs people the wrong way because;
-They didn't tell people which mons were cut, so a lot of people got super anxious to see if their favorites were spared
-They didn't tell people the final dex number so people weren't sure if it was just a small thing like 200 or some mass purge where 700 were killed (turns out it's 500)
-We still have no idea what HOME is outside of a rebranded bank. It could be a competitive battling arena, it could be one of those shovelware wiiware games where pokemon just walk around- nobody knows still
-Through mistranslations and wording Masuda has come off as somewhat deceptive either by his own fault or others. Him saying that their focus was on graphics while pokemon t-posed around, mentioning how all the animations are brand new and high quality while featuring a ton of ported animations and ps1 era stop-and-walk cycles etc.

It's all led up to a handful of people either getting mad or just frustrated in general with how it's all being handled. That's the entire controversy.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 9, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like a launch event in Japan was cancelled too, citing "operational reasons".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Kins posted:

Looks like a launch event in Japan was cancelled too, citing "operational reasons".

Were Japanese fans upset by all of this too? That's kinda crazy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Being honest, Nintendo should just delay the game by another quarter or so, in order to put all of the Pokemon back in.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Were Japanese fans upset by all of this too? That's kinda crazy.

it feels like the thing adult fans are very widely upset about (regardless of nationality) but the primary moneymakers, children, don't give a gently caress. and why should they? kids don't care that ekans is gone. kids don't know what an ekans is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gonna lol when they roll out the rest of the Pokemon as DLC for $4.99 in packs of 25 at a time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being honest, Nintendo should just delay the game by another quarter or so, in order to put all of the Pokemon back in.

Well, you can't delay the game because it's not just the game. It's also the cards and the merchandise and the manga and the anime and everything else. It's a huge franchise.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I might end up getting more play time out of the game knowing that catching everything available is something I could actually accomplish instead of being a nearly impossible task that requires multiple generations of games.

I know that online trading is a thing, but nearly everything online is hacked so it feels like just cheating.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mister Olympus posted:

it feels like the thing adult fans are very widely upset about (regardless of nationality) but the primary moneymakers, children, don't give a gently caress. and why should they? kids don't care that ekans is gone. kids don't know what an ekans is

Did James kill Ekans in the anime...........

I've only seen a handful of clips from the new season so I didn't know.......

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did James kill Ekans in the anime...........

I've only seen a handful of clips from the new season so I didn't know.......

anime also doesn't give a drat. all the promotional clips of the new season include pokemon not programmed into the new games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, you can't delay the game because it's not just the game. It's also the cards and the merchandise and the manga and the anime and everything else. It's a huge franchise.

Just ask the stores to hold everything and ship the new stuff and presto! Everything is fixed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did the A Hat in Time patch help much with performance issues?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Kins posted:

I was seeing speculation on Reddit that it was because of threats and became a safety concern

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Before Link's Awakening came out I had the temerity to say that it doesn't look like it was worth sixty dollars and immediately got dogpiled by three or four angry posters who said you can't put a monetary value on fun, since its release multiple posters have said it isn't worth sixty dollars to the point it has become a semi consensus and nobody has batted an eyelid.
I'm sure it's a good game but I still think Nintendo has people like those aforementioned angry posters in mind when selling it at that price point, especially with glaring framerate problems. It's sold multiple millions too, the profit they must be making off that game is no doubt considerable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Speaking of framerate, anyone following leaks know if that got fixed? There was a lot of "it'll get fixed before released" posts during some demos, like bad draw distances and pokemon in battles just appearing out of thin air as they load in slowly.

Lol if that's around in the final but mann

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

Before Link's Awakening came out I had the temerity to say that it doesn't look like it was worth sixty dollars and immediately got dogpiled by three or four angry posters who said you can't put a monetary value on fun, since its release multiple posters have said it isn't worth sixty dollars to the point it has become a semi consensus and nobody has batted an eyelid.
I'm sure it's a good game but I still think Nintendo has people like those aforementioned angry posters in mind when selling it at that price point, especially with glaring framerate problems. It's sold multiple millions too, the profit they must be making off that game is no doubt considerable.

I don't think there are multiple millions of Something Awful users buying Link's Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don't think Nintendo has any kind of posters in mind when they're releasing games.

They know that Switch owners will put up with buying first party games, regardless of quality, for $60 even years after launch.

Even games that get dismissed or forgotten online like 1-2 Switch, Mario Party or Mario Tennis still sell multiple millions because average people still like those games even if they don't measure up to BOTW or SMO.

I've seen people complain that there isn't a greatest hits line yet, but Mario Kart 8 is still selling incredibly strong, and it's a port of a WiiU game.

They just don't have the need to lower their prices, especially for a new release in one of their biggest franchises. Like yeah, LA is probably "worth" more like $35 or something but it still sold like crazy at $60.