Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sassassin posted:

Have you set yourself to be in charge of that in Staff - Responsibilities? If you don't it helpfully hides the button for you.

Ah that's got it. What a weird feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

EvilHawk posted:

Ah that's got it. What a weird feature.

wouldn't want to misclick, accidentally set a scouting assignment

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've also found that friendlies keep randomly being arranged, I can't find any staff assignment which would do this and it's messing up my plan of smashing random Welsh teams 20-0 for four weeks in pre-season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Backroom staff set up friendlies" is a tickbox on the staff responsibilities - tactics screen iirc

edit: match screen not tactics

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I've also found that friendlies keep randomly being arranged, I can't find any staff assignment which would do this and it's messing up my plan of smashing random Welsh teams 20-0 for four weeks in pre-season.

I've not noticed that but I have noticed no friendlies being arranged for my youth team despite my instructions to arrange a game every week.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sassassin posted:

Cardiff sacked Warnock and hired Pulis, they nailed it this year.

my favourite "WTF" coaching hire in all my years of playing FM is the time I saw AC Milan hire David Moyes in FM15

speaking of which, is Jose Mourinho still the GOAT world-beater of champions in 2020? I seem to recall in 18, at least, he had pretty much 20s in everything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Next match engine patch isn't a trash fire. There is hope.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

This match engine has it's issues but it's not terrible. I wasn't able to play the style I really wanted to, but after changing my approach I'm now playing some fun football.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Tell me more, tell me more, can you score one-on-ones?

(Which seems to be a comment complaint, but I think people underestimate the amount of one-on-ones that are bollocksed up.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Tell me more, tell me more, can you score one-on-ones?

(Which seems to be a comment complaint, but I think people underestimate the amount of one-on-ones that are bollocksed up.)

I've scored a couple today but they're still an issue. Real life rate is supposed to be something like 1 in 3 or 4 outside the top, top players? But one on one chances still happen too often as well.

Today's best comment on the match engine was basically "we can't have player roles do what you expect them to because then streamers will be able to win games too easily". Apparently it's better for 99% of players to not have a clue what's going on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I got a teaser around December about my youth intake saying it was a potential golden generation and now in April they arrive and they're all poo poo.

Also they were brought in by my director of football instead of HOYD and I can't find how to change it. Gonna have to sack the idiot instead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

sassassin posted:

Today's best comment on the match engine was basically "we can't have player roles do what you expect them to because then streamers will be able to win games too easily". Apparently it's better for 99% of players to not have a clue what's going on.

It’s a lot easier than coding an AI that has a clue.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

No goalie wants to get caught taking a Jizz shot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Most were with his head.

Finish (haha) that joke for me.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 3, 2019

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jason Sextro posted:

my favourite "WTF" coaching hire in all my years of playing FM is the time I saw AC Milan hire David Moyes in FM15

speaking of which, is Jose Mourinho still the GOAT world-beater of champions in 2020? I seem to recall in 18, at least, he had pretty much 20s in everything.

Arsenal sacked Pep Guardiola and replaced him with Michael O'Neill in my current FM19 game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my game Juventus sacked Zidane when they were in 4th place in December and hired Brendan Rodgers, who they promptly sacked in May after they finished 10th

e: also Gennaro Gattuso got Liverpool relegated in 2026

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i had a save in fm15 where tony pulis replaced arsene and took arsenal down to midtable, it loving owned lmao

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i had a save in fm15 where tony pulis replaced arsene and took arsenal down to midtable, it loving owned lmao

Emery is just a Spanish Pulis.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Arsenal sacked Pep Guardiola and replaced him with Michael O'Neill in my current FM19 game.

in that same FM15 save I previously mentioned, Pep Guardiola is managing FC Nantes in 2030.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I always find it quite hard to judge the match engine as I tend to start in the garbage tiers of English football. Its difficult to tell if the match engine is bad or it's having shite players that makes the matches excruciating to watch.

So far:-

1) Direct balls through the middle of the park sail right over the defence and put strikers in constantly
2) Those strikers then miss a lot of 1v1s
3) Players deciding to shoot from the narrowest of angles when there's 2 or 3 players lined up square of them for an easy tap in
4) A lot of shots against the woodwork

I've also watched Vanarama North players play successive pinpoint 50 yard cross-field diagonal passes from full-back to winger to opposite winger before hitting a perfect back post cross

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 4, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

1) Direct balls through the middle of the park sail right over the defence and put strikers in constantly
3) Players deciding to shoot from the narrowest of angles when there's 2 or 3 players lined up square of them for an easy tap in

I've also watched Vanarama North players play successive pinpoint 50 yard cross-field diagonal passes from full-back to winger to opposite winger before hitting a perfect back post cross

1 - Yep
2 - Yep
3 - Not as bad as it was. Not as good, either.
4 - No worse than previous years.

Crossfield balls are almost always of perfect length, regardless of player ability. It's a special occasion to see one overhit into touch. Passing accuracy only seems to consider direction, and with crossfield passes the receiving player has plenty of time to move to compensate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All 4 of those things have been common in FM at every level of play since at least 18.

Defenders can’t mark properly which leads to too many through balls springing 1-on-1s, and fixing it is too much bother so they just make 1-on-1s fail 85% of the time so the total number of 1-on-1 goals is roughly true to life

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

All 4 of those things have been common in FM at every level of play since at least 18.

Defenders can’t mark properly which leads to too many through balls springing 1-on-1s, and fixing it is too much bother so they just make 1-on-1s fail 85% of the time so the total number of 1-on-1 goals is roughly true to life

It's not really through balls this year. Very few through balls were even attempted until the latest builds. It's high balls that defenders don't react to, allowing strikers a free run at goal. Happens regardless of tactics or "marking". Where irl a centre half would immediately start backing up or turn if they judge the ball to be going over their heads they just stand there like lemons until the ball is already past.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sassassin posted:

It's not really through balls this year. Very few through balls were even attempted until the latest builds. It's high balls that defenders don't react to, allowing strikers a free run at goal. Happens regardless of tactics or "marking". Where irl a centre half would immediately start backing up or turn if they judge the ball to be going over their heads they just stand there like lemons until the ball is already past.

Man I rember in ye olde 2D days when any shithouse striker with 15+ pace/acceleration would score 40+ goals just by running on to hopeful punts. Frazier Campbell utterly destroyed League One on loan.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Stotty posted:

I always find it quite hard to judge the match engine as I tend to start in the garbage tiers of English football. Its difficult to tell if the match engine is bad or it's having shite players that makes the matches excruciating to watch.

So far:-

Going to add in a lot of 25-yard screamers arrowing into the top corner to that list.

A video of wingbacks playing a 1-2 with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkXvx7-vZw

Stotty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 5, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Stotty posted:

Going to add in a lot of 25-yard screamers arrowing into the top corner to that list.

A video of wingbacks playing a 1-2 with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkXvx7-vZw

That's 87% of my goals tho.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
anyone else seeing players just beaning the ball out of play at the beginning of the half? happening pretty regularly for me.

also, players disappearing in lists until I scroll up and down a bit. im using the dark instant result skin.

e: also absurd amounts of missed penalties

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 8, 2019

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bea Nanner posted:

anyone else seeing players just beaning the ball out of play at the beginning of the half? happening pretty regularly for me.

Ah, the Matt Le Tissier gambit

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bea Nanner posted:

oh lol this isnt fixed

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

also, players disappearing in lists until I scroll up and down a bit. im using the dark instant result skin.

I wouldn't use alternate skins just yet

The kickoff is a still a funny issue, yeah.

I've only missed 1 penalty, and it was in a shootout I won 4-3. Really not sure what everyone's doing to miss so many. My right back has a 100% record.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Over the past 3 seasons my team is 16 for 29 on penalties, opponents are 17 for 26. ~65-70% seems to be the norm for me (FM18)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The league I'm managing doesn't stop for international breaks and my only loss of the season so far came when three regulars were called up for their u21 sides in September.

Now I've realised if I'd had the youngest one set to "squad player" instead of "breakthrough talent" then the game would have let me ask for a postponement as 3 is the minimum.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Decided my beta save would be in the MLS. Up until now I've pretty much only ever played FM with League 2 or below English teams.

I have no loving idea what I'm doing in the MLS, and my embarrassment is made worse by me being American :gonk:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Drone posted:

Decided my beta save would be in the MLS. Up until now I've pretty much only ever played FM with League 2 or below English teams.

I have no loving idea what I'm doing in the MLS, and my embarrassment is made worse by me being American :gonk:

Major League Soccer, where the roster rules are made up and the dollars don't matter.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Drone posted:

It’s impossible. I don’t even bother any more. gently caress Don Garber for ruining that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There are (usually) mods on the workshop that unfuck the MLS, right? Right? :ohdear:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Drone posted:

There are (usually) mods on the workshop that unfuck the MLS, right? Right? :ohdear:

Usually, yes, and very quickly at that.

Also it really isn't impossible (it's actually kind of easy because the AI is Very Bad at squad management and the MLS roster rules make squad management the main challenge) but it is definitely Weird compared to the rest of the game. There's usually a pretty decent guide to playing an MLS save if you aren't a broke-brain like me who actually understands it.

(19's is here and not much seems to have changed, though my beta save is Bordeaux this year because I'm waiting for the editor to release so I can fix the mod I use that implements Canada's new league).

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I do an American Premier League mod every year, and as soon as I get the FM Editor, I'll be working on a FM20 version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1565774567

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SirFozzie posted:

I do an American Premier League mod every year, and as soon as I get the FM Editor, I'll be working on a FM20 version.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1565774567

This looks real cool, I'll give it a shot once you get the FM20 version up.

I assume the Prem has MLS teams, First is USL, etc etc.?