Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

President Beep posted:

In all seriousness, as someone who isn’t very experienced and shares your general live-and-let-live take, I can say that there are some apparent film veterans here that dislike this kind of dabbling.

It's not dabbling people are against, it's posting of uninspired photos. We all choose different films for their different qualities and employ them in our photography because we're after their aesthetic. You can use lomo purple or 30 year expired afga surveillance film to good effect, but if you're leaning on "Hey, look at this crazy film" instead of your subject and composition you're just moving horrible Instagram filters from post-processing to pre-processing and spending good money for the privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Megabound posted:

It's not dabbling people are against, it's posting of uninspired photos. We all choose different films for their different qualities and employ them in our photography because we're after their aesthetic. You can use lomo purple or 30 year expired afga surveillance film to good effect, but if you're leaning on "Hey, look at this crazy film" instead of your subject and composition you're just moving horrible Instagram filters from post-processing to pre-processing and spending good money for the privilege.

Got it. Be inspired. Would you like me to go into a deep explanation about the rigorous of urban living and capturing the essence of the concrete jungle and it's surrounding illumination blaring at us to consume? I can do that if you want.

This kind of attitude is what pushes people away from a medium becuase it's pompous as gently caress.

Why do you need an explanation? The explanation should come from the viewer as well to interpret the piece on their own level. That's what I've seen since I posted the photos, a mixed bag of "I like it" and "it's poo poo". I'm fine with it.

Photography is about capturing the moment and this was an experiment flexing the medium with the film. Why not take my post as "I've never used this film before, here are my results." I was testing the bounds of the colors it can produce and see what kind of effects it gives.

All good though. Have fun and be happier.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ASSTASTIC posted:

pompous as gently caress.

welcome to the dorkroom!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ASSTASTIC posted:

This kind of attitude is what pushes people away from a medium becuase it's pompous as gently caress.

I'd say the same thing about the photo if it was digital.

No one needs your take on Cinestill 800. I can type that into Google and see page after page of equally bad photos as the ones you posted.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Megabound posted:

I'd say the same thing about the photo if it was digital.

No one needs your take on Cinestill 800. I can type that into Google and see page after page of equally bad photos as the ones you posted.

Sounds good. Have a great life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like the photos and not because of the aesthetic but because the look fits the scenes which are just as interesting as anything else posted here but then again these guys think cinestill looks like "Instagram influencers" and cant tell the difference in it and lovely orange/teal presets.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

this is a stupid take and we’re all worse off for you having posted it

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ASSTASTIC posted:

Got it. Be inspired. Would you like me to go into a deep explanation about the rigorous of urban living and capturing the essence of the concrete jungle and it's surrounding illumination blaring at us to consume? I can do that if you want.

You're gonna have to, because the photo didn't really communicate that.

Are you here in the Dorkroom because you want to take better photos, or for validation (of your photos, film choices, whatever)? The latter is in short supply around here, and that's a good thing. Plenty of people who just want validation do bounce off this subforum, and that's fine. There are plenty of photo club hugboxes on the internet already.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you are contractually obliged to like my photos i'm posting on the internet

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh, I thought those 2 pics were decent. Certainly no worse than a lot of other stuff posted here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Megabound posted:

It goes way beyond the merit of any images posted though. I’ve shared stuff here and no one’s said anything off putting about them. Where I tend to run afoul of the unspoken orthodoxy is with regards to different ways of processing film, scanning techniques, etc. The kind of poo poo someone who’s been doing this forever may not want to mess with anymore and apparently doesn’t think others should either. The thing is, it’s fun to me, along with also trying to produce good images. I don’t just sit in my basement, shooting test cards. I value the whole process—striving to take worthy images using a medium that makes me be more considerate and deliberate, looks neat, and has a cool technical aspect to it to boot.

In the end, if that’s really not what this thread is about, then I’ll just go elsewhere. It’s really not a big deal, and it’s not worth it to me to try swim against the cultural current here. It’s a slow thread, and squabbling over what’s a valid way to do photography and what isn’t can really bog things down.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

no one is really dumping on them but some people are real turned up over the idea of them being dumped on

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

but then again these guys think cinestill looks like "Instagram influencers" and cant tell the difference in it and lovely orange/teal presets.

of course there's a difference but neither makes your photos good, hth

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

President Beep posted:

It goes way beyond the merit of any images posted though. I’ve shared stuff here and no one’s said anything off putting about them. Where I tend to run afoul of the unspoken orthodoxy is with regards to different ways of processing film, scanning techniques, etc.

No one cares what scanner, film or developer you use. If you ask for an opinion on these things you will get one, but no one here is looking at the EXIF data on your photos in order to scoff at you for using a V600 to scan 35mm.

People will judge photos posted on their merits. Some people will like them, some people won't.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Time is a flat circle in the Dorkroom.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I liked the photos; they reminded me of a few disoriented and hazy nights in Tokyo a while back. Well, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm still on the hunt for a small but durable point and shoot 35 with a decent and fast lens in the normal range. Any recommendations? It needs to be small enough to carry on my bike comfortably.

This describes the Olympus XA series.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

It goes way beyond the merit of any images posted though. I’ve shared stuff here and no one’s said anything off putting about them. Where I tend to run afoul of the unspoken orthodoxy is with regards to different ways of processing film, scanning techniques, etc. The kind of poo poo someone who’s been doing this forever may not want to mess with anymore and apparently doesn’t think others should either. The thing is, it’s fun to me, along with also trying to produce good images. I don’t just sit in my basement, shooting test cards. I value the whole process—striving to take worthy images using a medium that makes me be more considerate and deliberate, looks neat, and has a cool technical aspect to it to boot.

In the end, if that’s really not what this thread is about, then I’ll just go elsewhere. It’s really not a big deal, and it’s not worth it to me to try swim against the cultural current here. It’s a slow thread, and squabbling over what’s a valid way to do photography and what isn’t can really bog things down.

You do you bud. Just might have to recognize that what makes you interested in a photo isn't what makes others interested in a photo, which is fine. You and aa are somewhat talking past each other I think.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just don't do Fomapan. My buddy snorted a line of it at a party and now he's dead.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Awkward Davies posted:

You do you bud. Just might have to recognize that what makes you interested in a photo isn't what makes others interested in a photo, which is fine. You and aa are somewhat talking past each other I think.

You’ve misunderstood me. What you say above is exactly the point I’m trying to make. I 100% agree with you.

-Have fun
-Share what you find interesting
-Offer helpful critique when you have the opportunity (Ansel’s remarks upthread about why you shouldn’t rely on things like red halos is an excellent example of this which I found really helpful)
-Don’t just threadshit

President Beep fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 9, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Anyway, I’ve said my peace.

After not having time to do much of anything with film over the past few months I’m finally ready to develop a few rolls on Monday. Looking forward to seeing if anything’s worth a drat.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I like Cinestill. Is that allowed here? Please don't hurt my feelings.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

cinestill is what it is

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
How come none of those films with the light leaks preapplied are ever available in 120 :mad:.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its because 120 is for squares

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Being way late to the dogpile, as usual. I just want to add that I'd never consider shooting cinestill, not even because of its gimmick - but due to the simple fact that each film has a look and unless I want my pictures to be a haphazard hodgepodge of stuff it's not worth it to commit to a film that expensive. Especially since I regularly get rolls that are just nothing-burgers. It's painful with Portra 400 but I'd hate thinking about it with a Cinestill 800T priced film. I'd probably switch to digital.

Basically, if you think you're getting more than 0-1 great and 0-3 decent shots per 36 roll one would have to think that you're either delusional or inexperienced.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

But did not see those halos? Every frame instantly becomes bladerunnner dystopian neo tokyo. It's all keepers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Darkroom put together a pretty neat index of most of the commercially available films if you want to compare them side by side a bit.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

sure wish Kodak made their consumer 800 still rather than just the pro stuff - that darkroom list confirms to me it’s slim pickings around 800 iso these days

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Shoot portra 400 at 800 and tri-x 400 at 800 (or nearly any other iso with those two films)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

Shoot portra 400 at 800 and tri-x 400 at 800 (or nearly any other iso with those two films)

Seconded. Also works for TMax 400 which is very fine grained to begin with. However you'd better use TMax Developer as well to get the best results with that.
Portra 400 @ 800 doesn't need a development push either. Yes, it will be a bit more grainy and saturated but it's entirely within acceptable bounds. Heck, I've got "emergency" shots from Portra 400 at 1600 that turned out fully printable.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey y'all, I'm planning to take my shiny new (old) ME Super with me next month while I travel in Japan. Should I get film beforehand to take, or am I better off just waiting and grabbing all my film while I'm in Tokyo?

I'll probably shoot Tri-X and Portra 400 because I'm a thread lemming. :thumbsup:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fujis Across II will be out in Japan by then so you'll have to pick some of that. Otherwise there's no real benifit to buying while there other than it might be easier to find Fuji.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

You'll want to be mindful of what undeveloped film you bring back with you too. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to x-rays it'll be. I've gone through multiple security checkpoints with 400 speed film before and didn't see any fogging, but your mileage may vary.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

You'll want to be mindful of what undeveloped film you bring back with you too. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to x-rays it'll be. I've gone through multiple security checkpoints with 400 speed film before and didn't see any fogging, but your mileage may vary.

In general they'll tell you that anything under 800 should be fine, but I always ask for a hand check anyway.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

President Beep posted:

I was nervous about this as well. Maybe I'll just bring higher ISO film and request a hand check like the other poster.

I'll definitely grab some of that Acros II film, seems :coal:

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

DJExile posted:

The Darkroom put together a pretty neat index of most of the commercially available films if you want to compare them side by side a bit.

Also, there's https://filmtypes.com/

I want to shoot every film there is. I like the look of CineStill 800T and I like halation.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I developed my first push roll last night and as I'm going through the frames I like what it did for the HP5's contrast. One thing I'm getting on a few frames is a lighter spot or marks. I'm trying to figure out if I agitated too much, or didn't fix well or what it could be. Here's an example...

Anything I did to cause that "swoosh" in the sky?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Almost looks like some kind of weird flare. Show up anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Yeah there's some other frames where a lower corner of the frame will be lighter. I was wondering if it could be flare.

E: here's another one...

I took this one twice (different aperture and shutter on the other) and the other one doesn't have anything.

Dudeabides fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 20, 2019