Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

But the actual point is that shields are useless against FREMEN, my dude.

When Paul fights Jamis, a point is made about his knife fighting being unable to strike home because he habitually slows down his attacks at the last second to penetrate a shield. Without shields on Arrakis, 5he Fremen wouldn't have developed a style that would account for penetrating shields, so they probably would not fare well at first using knives against shields.

That's what maula pistols are for. (Or is it that they're quiet, or easily and cheaply made in sketches? I can't remember if the spring-firing is derived from shooting shielded targets. Again, not a huge consideration on Arrakis.)

Shield or no shield, the Fremen are going to figure it out quickly and just disarm you and then garrote you anyway. Might let the kids do it for fun practice.

I remember Jamis. He taught me to shitpost in the Dune thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Phi230 posted:

The King pretty much confirmed Chalamet can pull off atreides. I feel like he was already playing Paul, except more cruel and foul tempered

Yep these were my thoughts too when I watched it. Good movie imo.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Shields are a weird nexus of multiple plot threads. They stop guns AND attract worms AND blow up w/lasers AND can be beaten with knives...
And then, why is knife fighting so common? No one was running around medieval battlefields with miscellaneous knives. If anything the Sardaukar should present massed pike formations with a few sword-and-buckler dudes in the front.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
In the Hark/sardukar vs atreides fight which the fremen crash, mention is made of flamethrowers artillery (admittedly a gimmick) and close air support which would make formations useless. squads were sent to deal with fortified positions.

But the real reason is that army vs army fights just didn't happen. Inter-house warfare was conducted as a "War of Assassins" with Hunter seekers, poison and traitors. This was enforced by the Great Convention and ultimately the threat of the Emperor sending Sardukar down to end the fight. In a feudal society the powerful ensure that war is conducted in a formalised way that ensures the ruling class maintains supremacy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine almost all Great House armies basically just drilled and looked impressive most of the time and perhaps periodically crushed some pyons. Maybe you had a couple ace squads you can use to gently caress with other people. Most planets were presumably basically islands.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wasn't it a really big deal whenever someone pulled out the lasguns? I imagine those things are locked up super strictly.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

But the actual point is that shields are useless against FREMEN, my dude.

Shields weren't useless against Fremen. They attracted worms so Fremen didn't use them.

Tree Bucket posted:

Shields are a weird nexus of multiple plot threads. They stop guns AND attract worms AND blow up w/lasers AND can be beaten with knives...
And then, why is knife fighting so common? No one was running around medieval battlefields with miscellaneous knives. If anything the Sardaukar should present massed pike formations with a few sword-and-buckler dudes in the front.

Not to mention the Holtzmann generators that create shields also fold space.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So I just re-read the section where hawat is losing the fight and gets captured and he is shocked by the fact that there were 8-10 legions of harks and Sardukar and also that a legion comprises 10 brigades. A modern brigade is 1500-4000 men so we are talking 120k-400k men being an unimaginably large force. The guild charges through the nose for shipping troops (again, a ruling class protecting it's interests). I would guess that troop numbers tend towards the lower value.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exmachina posted:

The guild charges through the nose for shipping troops (again, a ruling class protecting it's interests). I would guess that troop numbers tend towards the lower value.

1/2 price shipping if you ally with them during wormsign hth

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

1/2 price shipping if you ally with them during wormsign hth
:v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exmachina posted:

So I just re-read the section where hawat is losing the fight and gets captured and he is shocked by the fact that there were 8-10 legions of harks and Sardukar and also that a legion comprises 10 brigades. A modern brigade is 1500-4000 men so we are talking 120k-400k men being an unimaginably large force. The guild charges through the nose for shipping troops (again, a ruling class protecting it's interests). I would guess that troop numbers tend towards the lower value.

Keep in mind that for a planetary power you want quality over quantity because ship space is expensive.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Keep in mind that for a planetary power you want quality over quantity because ship space is expensive.

Yeah I actually want to suggest an even lower number because at brigade strength not every man will fight on the front lines. Just 100k in the harkonnen/imperial alliance is totally plausible especially as Sardukar are an elite fighting force. And this is in a universe with planetary populations and a feudal economy, meaning division of labor is probably really low with the taboo against automation.

Hawat was expecting a few H legions to be pitted against them and this was going to be a tough fight that would require alliance with the Fremen to win. The H had a beachhead in Carthage, so a fight against them could last a while.

The point is that army-on-army fights in the Duniverse are incredibly rare, focused on gaining fortified positions and forcing surrender by the enemy, and avoiding a situation where the Landraad, Emperor or the Guild start getting nervous and move to limit the damage. Leto states that the biggest fear of Houses Major is that they are picked off one by one. They are not going to stand and watch a fellow Noble house get ground into dust. The Baron knew he had to basically win the fight in one day, and he used an acceptable form of warfare (traitor) to accomplish it. It is the Emperor who wants to wipe the A out because Hawat, Idaho and Halleck were polishing a threat to the Sardukar.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Seen somewhere that a company called Funcom got rights to make games related to the upcoming movie and when I looked at what games they've already made whooo boy get ready for a/some lovely games of this stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably gonna be another phone game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're known for lovely MMOs too. Anarchy online, age of Conan, etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spice miner mobile edition. Click the sand to mine spice but watch out for worms! Upgrade to a heavy carryall for only 9.99!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Re: shield-lasgun interactions, wasn't there a line in one of the books about the aftermath of a shield explosion looking very much like an atomic explosion, which would make it appear as a violation of the great convention, and cause to have your house be wiped out? That'd be another reason to avoid it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Afriscipio posted:

Re: shield-lasgun interactions, wasn't there a line in one of the books about the aftermath of a shield explosion looking very much like an atomic explosion, which would make it appear as a violation of the great convention, and cause to have your house be wiped out? That'd be another reason to avoid it.

Yeah if you're a great house. If you're a suicidal Fremen warrior who's captured a lasgun from a Sardaukar and are itching to use it you probably don't care.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

They're known for lovely MMOs too. Anarchy online, age of Conan, etc.
But what if they get the code from Dune Generations and makes that? Not that they will, but what if?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dune Exiles now with sandworm slider

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda worried tbh with no Feyd Rautha casting

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Feyd doesn't really need to be in the first film. It's probably 2% better if he's introduced in person as a character, but his role in the first half of the book (and this first film) is basically nil. The only important thing he's part of is the Baron's explanation of the Arrakis plot. But it makes way more sense for the Baron to be explaining things to Rabban, since he's the one that's just been kicked off Arrakis, and the one that'll be going back alongside the Baron. If they make that change then Feyd would just be there to... also absorb exposition? You could get some good character set up in for sure, ("Feyd you're old enough now to hear this, but not yet ready to take part in the action," Feyd's objections to this, etc), but they had to weigh that against the possibility of the second film not happening and it looking like a weird dead end, a side character introduced for no purpose.

The second film seems much more likely to happen than it did a year ago (the guy who stopped writing for the TV show switched to writing for the second film), and I still think one of the strongest possible openings for part 2 is Feyd's arena fight. That'll be our real introduction to him as a character, whether he shows up for a minute in the first film or not.

It would be better to set him up from the start, and complicate the Harkonnen dynamic, but it's not really that important for the first film.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spice Tycoon

Worms: Jihad!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
SimSareer

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So when I was most of the way through the first dune book I bought books 2, 3 & 4.
Dune was very good.
The second one kind of sucks. It has some good sections - the chapter with the stone burner and dwarf were fun and exciting. And then there's a ton of very boring politics where people just look around them and think a lot.
Is this it for the dune series now? Im really going to have to force myself to finish this and I hope the third is worth it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

God Emperor of Dune is my favorite book I've ever read. I like it better than Dune. All the others beside those two are OK imo.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Spice miner mobile edition. Click the sand to mine spice but watch out for worms! Upgrade to a heavy carryall for only 9.99!

They call the free version "old maria." I think the Harkonens made it as a punishment.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cubicle gangster posted:

So when I was most of the way through the first dune book I bought books 2, 3 & 4.
Dune was very good.
The second one kind of sucks. It has some good sections - the chapter with the stone burner and dwarf were fun and exciting. And then there's a ton of very boring politics where people just look around them and think a lot.
Is this it for the dune series now? Im really going to have to force myself to finish this and I hope the third is worth it.

2 is partly a really strident restatement of the point of the first book (that Paul is a bad dude) that people at the time missed, and partly a setup for 3.

3 is an incredibly weird book about psychic kids couping the universe. Lot more politicking and plans within plans within plans

4 takes place thousands of years later and is even weirder in a completely different way. Kind of has to be read to be believed

5 takes place still thousands of years later and is a fairly awesome war-adventure type story more like the first book than the others, but way more gonzo and full of bizarre stuff like living chairs, cannibal cat people, hypnobongs and pussy magic

6 is boring and ends on an awful cliffhanger that was never picked up.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

My first time through Messiah it felt like a weird tacked on letdown. I liked Children considerably better (on the surface it has a lot more in common with the original, and feels like a more typical sequel), but then God Emperor is such an insane curveball that it forces you to stop seeing the Dune novels as a typical series.

On rereads it becomes clear that each installment is doing something pretty wildly different from the one before, usually by jumping far enough in to the future that the seemingly neat resolution of the previous book has unraveled in to its component absurdities and contradictions, and then starting there. So each book works as a counterpoint / refutation / deconstruction of the previous. The effect can be pretty uneven, but the series as a whole definitely lives up to the ambition of the original novel in a way that basically no other "big idea" scifi does.

So I'd say keep going, at least through 4.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
So if the worms are sensitive to vibration wouldn't nukes make them go loving nuts? Is that ever covered in the books? Because setting off a nuke just to call a bunch of really mad worms down on your enemies would be the kind of plans within plans I could get behind

I mean riding the worms makes that unnecessary but it would be pretty hilarious

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Eumenides posted:

So if the worms are sensitive to vibration wouldn't nukes make them go loving nuts? Is that ever covered in the books? Because setting off a nuke just to call a bunch of really mad worms down on your enemies would be the kind of plans within plans I could get behind

no point when shields are more common and do the same thing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could you nuke a worm?

Would you accomplish anything? I mean you'd probably hurt it but it seems like you might not even kill it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nessus posted:

Could you nuke a worm?

Would you accomplish anything? I mean you'd probably hurt it but it seems like you might not even kill it.

If a Stoneburner can burn down to the core of a planet, I'd guess it can probably kill a worm with one.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
There are passages where Leto wonders what it would take to kill him, I think he mentions atomics, water, and fall damage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Enkmar posted:

There are passages where Leto wonders what it would take to kill him, I think he mentions atomics, water, and fall damage

Leto II confirmed for a goon

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Kinda worried tbh with no Feyd Rautha casting

No kidding, what’s up with that? Pretty iconic character to try to cut or introduce in pt 2 with no setup.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Paddyo posted:

No kidding, what’s up with that? Pretty iconic character to try to cut or introduce in pt 2 with no setup.

Obviously they're going to bring back Sting as a totally awesome surprise.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

magic cactus posted:

Obviously they're going to bring back Sting as a totally awesome surprise.

Feyd is gonna be played by someone wearing a Sting mask

in part 2 he's going to pull the mask off and reveal that he was actually Sting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Eumenides posted:

I don't think it's just capital V Vibration, but rather rhythmic resonance, like if a bunch of people jump up and down on a suspension bridge at the same time it goes all cattywampus.

A worm is less likely to go after vibrations that have no discernible pattern, like those of nature, but if dudes be goosestepping in single file a worm's gonna be running up in that club. So the dunewalking that Fremen do is less 'don't make ANY vibrations' and more a bunch of people walking out of sync with each other so the vibration can dissipate rather than amplify.

And yes, every worm on Arrakis would show up to a nuke-party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

priznat posted:

Leto II confirmed for a goon

Given that mechanical minds are verboten, he is by default protected.