Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

She just goes ham at all times and seems to be having a much better time :nagative:

You should do chores more often then, and not say rude things about your significant other :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey does this too, if I remember right based on watching my gf play.

Also Morrowind lol, except it's more 'walk down the path until you see the crypt on your right, turn left, keep going until the third tree, look over the hill over the river and find the house'. Inevitably you get lost. I think there's a quest very early on that sends you through some calderas or something that's a little infamous for this.
It sends you to a mine near a town called Caldera

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I know that Fallout 3 catches a lot of criticisms on this forum, and rightfully so - it's aged pretty badly. But in how many other games can you find an action figure of Abraham Lincoln, pick it up, take it to your house, and leave it on your desk so Honest Abe watches you as you sleep? It can't be many.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Trails of Cold Steel 3's battle system is the evolution of a system that's 7+ games old (I don't know how much existed before Trails in the Sky). I think if you started on this game for some reason, it would seem very busy and bloated. But having grown after each game, it's just really satisfyingly complex. Just some things at play during a battle:

- HP
- EP ("Energy Points"; MP)
- CP ("Craft Points"; Skill pts)
- BP ("Brave Points" - used for various boons, or for a team attack)
- Weapon type and balance weakness - balance meter
- Like 20 status ailments (all dangerous)
- Manipulating the battle order
- Movement range

A lot of resources pull double-duty, so you have to economize. CP can be used for a more standard attack, or as a limit break that drains all your points. Brave points can be used for a more damaging team attack, or for a party buff for a set number of turns. Items are very useful because it takes less time to recover from using one - so while healing with magic is more potent, it will put you at a turn-order disadvantage usually, where using an item has a short recovery time, and may result in that character getting a chance to act again before the enemy can. Enemies have a balance meter which goes down more by weapons and attacks that it's weak against - think FFX's weapon types, but more forgiving. If an enemy's balance meter is low, you can risk trying to break it, stunning them for a bit. Doing this also guarantees they drop an item if they have one.

Your real goal is to avoid letting enemies attack at all, but if they do, you're in danger - especially bosses, until you eventually break the game with the right skills. The game really forces you to use all these systems properly to survive, if playing on Hard, which is a good difficulty. A regular Attack does almost nothing in most cases, so keeping your resources available is a constant challenge. Also, magic and skills in these games are called "Arts" and "Crafts" and that's just the best.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

StandardVC10 posted:

I know that Fallout 3 catches a lot of criticisms on this forum, and rightfully so - it's aged pretty badly. But in how many other games can you find an action figure of Abraham Lincoln, pick it up, take it to your house, and leave it on your desk so Honest Abe watches you as you sleep? It can't be many.

I think Fallout 3 is great if

A. you aren't expecting a fallout game
B. you ignore the main quest in favor of loving around

Like in 2008/9/whenever it came out it was a truly impressive mess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something about new leaks (that are pretty legit) that came out about Pokemon literally just now struck me. I'm spoiler-tagging this, because it's leaks so even though basically nobody gives a poo poo about Pokemon spoilers, this is the one time people might. But it's about a very long-standing Pokemon that's had some funny problems with its name in the past.

The new games have a new form and evolution for Mr. Mime. This one's black, white and a little bit of blue, and it's an Ice-type (his evolution is named Mr. Rime, he's got a cane and a bowler hat). It felt a little weird, but then I remembered the history of Mr. Mime's problems in localization: Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Barrierd, the gendering in its name came from localization, which meant it was really weird when generation 2 included genders and therefore female Mr. Mimes--because to the Japanese developers, Mr. Mime/Barrierd wasn't gendered. Localization came up with the 'Mr.' in its name, which then clashed with later mechanics. Whoops.

But today I realized: The 'Mime' part of its name is also made up from localization. It doesn't actually look like a mime; it's pink, for one. It and its pre-evolution are more clownish than mime-ish. But the Galarian form, being primarily black and white (and dressed like a Monty Python character), actually does look like a mime. And a mister, for that matter.

For the Pokemon game set in their version of England, they made a version of Mr. Mime that actually honors its English name.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

OutOfPrint posted:

One of my favorite things in The Outer Worlds is that your companions will teleport to any elevator as soon as you hit the button. No having to wait for them, no lovely pathfinding trying to negotiate the z-axis, just POOF, there they are.

You don’t want to wait for your buddy, Superfly?
https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/1189321485682401280

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Nov 8, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Creepy Watson’s Revenge

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of Creepy Watson, you can find an interesting new book being advertised in The Sinking City, made by the same team that did the Sherlock Holmes games:

(Sorry for the darkness, I haven’t found one in a more well-lit area)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cleretic posted:

Something about new leaks (that are pretty legit) that came out about Pokemon literally just now struck me. I'm spoiler-tagging this, because it's leaks so even though basically nobody gives a poo poo about Pokemon spoilers, this is the one time people might. But it's about a very long-standing Pokemon that's had some funny problems with its name in the past.

The new games have a new form and evolution for Mr. Mime. This one's black, white and a little bit of blue, and it's an Ice-type (his evolution is named Mr. Rime, he's got a cane and a bowler hat). It felt a little weird, but then I remembered the history of Mr. Mime's problems in localization: Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Barrierd, the gendering in its name came from localization, which meant it was really weird when generation 2 included genders and therefore female Mr. Mimes--because to the Japanese developers, Mr. Mime/Barrierd wasn't gendered. Localization came up with the 'Mr.' in its name, which then clashed with later mechanics. Whoops.

But today I realized: The 'Mime' part of its name is also made up from localization. It doesn't actually look like a mime; it's pink, for one. It and its pre-evolution are more clownish than mime-ish. But the Galarian form, being primarily black and white (and dressed like a Monty Python character), actually does look like a mime. And a mister, for that matter.

For the Pokemon game set in their version of England, they made a version of Mr. Mime that actually honors its English name.

Plus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rime_ice

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Death Stranding has in-game borderline photo-realistic Monster energy drinks.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/1192855112336760832

Like just zoom in on that thing. What the gently caress Kojima.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Speaking of Creepy Watson, you can find an interesting new book being advertised in The Sinking City, made by the same team that did the Sherlock Holmes games:

(Sorry for the darkness, I haven’t found one in a more well-lit area)
This is adorable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MiddleOne posted:

Death Stranding has in-game borderline photo-realistic Monster energy drinks.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/1192855112336760832

Like just zoom in on that thing. What the gently caress Kojima.

If Monster actually paid for that they're sure getting their money's worth.

Apparently you can upgrade to beer later in the game, but it's fictional.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

haveblue posted:

Stuff like that always reminds me of the Josie and The Pussycats movie.

Absolutely brimming with product placement that the production had to pay for (for obvious reasons, given the plot).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

haveblue posted:

It'sa brand deal, yeah. Drinking Monster fills your stamina gauge or something like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StandardVC10 posted:

You can then put on his hat, take his repeater, and do as Lincoln would and shoot a city full of slavers to death and emancipate the slaves.

e: I want to say his beard is even a facial hair option ingame

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Nov 8, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neito posted:

It'sa brand deal, yeah. Drinking Monster fills your stamina gauge or something like that.

You also get a canteen that fills with rain water and turns that rain water into Monster.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

If there isn't there's a mod for that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

You also get a canteen that fills with rain water and turns that rain water into Monster.

Working nights makes me want one of those in real life.

I like fighting robots in The Outer Worlds. I usually play a gun user but the way they resist a lot of damage and hide their weak spots makes me mix it up and have to fight them in melee if I’m not somewhere where I can be maneuverable/don’t have an electric gun handy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Working nights makes me want one of those in real life.

I like fighting robots in The Outer Worlds. I usually play a gun user but the way they resist a lot of damage and hide their weak spots makes me mix it up and have to fight them in melee if I’m not somewhere where I can be maneuverable/don’t have an electric gun handy.

Corrosive works pretty well, too. Building my char up to hacking bots now. They must be made by Spacer's Choice, high-tech plasma gun and bottom-of-barrel optical sensors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

My GF is in the end game and didn't know you could strafe hop or many other things.
She watched me play for an hour and kept saying "poo poo how did you do that?!"

I've watched her play a lot and she wallops Lynels no problem. It's odd but she plays differently than the game expects, I guess.

I had trouble with ganon because i stopped playing for a couple months and totally forgot those mechanics existed.

Because i barely used them before, and just killed everything with arrows.

Also i thought ganon was below the palace, so i decided to just take a quick peek in at the top and WHOOPS final boss.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wrong one

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

There were a couple of times in the beginning that I really couldn't tell if I was doing things "wrong" or not in that game. Like when the old dude is all "go climb those towers" but one was in a snowy area and I'm naked and losing health and thinking "did I miss something? Am I going too fast?"

I ended up eating a bunch of food and running as fast as I could.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Friend posted:

There were a couple of times in the beginning that I really couldn't tell if I was doing things "wrong" or not in that game. Like when the old dude is all "go climb those towers" but one was in a snowy area and I'm naked and losing health and thinking "did I miss something? Am I going too fast?"

I ended up eating a bunch of food and running as fast as I could.

Technically you did miss his cabin, where you can make a meal in exchange for a warm leather doublet to protect against the cold

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You can then put on his hat, take his repeater, and do as Lincoln would and shoot a city full of slavers to death and emancipate the slaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2stJgGdIoas

Riatsala posted:

I think Fallout 3 is great if

A. you aren't expecting a fallout game
B. you ignore the main quest in favor of loving around

Like in 2008/9/whenever it came out it was a truly impressive mess.

Yeah, basically. It was my first Fallout game and also my first Bethesda fuckabouty rpg, so I absolutely loved it and still do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Technically you did miss his cabin, where you can make a meal in exchange for a warm leather doublet to protect against the cold

It's cool though, you can also run into him on the mountain, at which point he'll basically just go "... wait, do... do you want some pants and a warm shirt? I'm surprised you're still moving and not an ice cube". Who needs warm clothes when you can just stuff peppers into your maw every five minutes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Resident Evil 7 spoilers about the Baker family:

While I was frustrated you don’t get an opportunity to kill him, the fact that Lucas Baker is free of Eveline’s control and has been killing people just for fun (as he’s apparently done since childhood) is an interesting character touch, especially since he’s successfully managed to hide it from the rest of his family entirely. RIP Ollie.

I also love that there’s a character with a bunch of engineering and robotics trophies in their room, to lampshade all the crazy traps and locks in the house.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

food court bailiff posted:

While I was frustrated you don’t get an opportunity to kill him, the fact that Lucas Baker is free of Eveline’s control and has been killing people just for fun (as he’s apparently done since childhood) is an interesting character touch, especially since he’s successfully managed to hide it from the rest of his family entirely. RIP Ollie.

I also love that there’s a character with a bunch of engineering and robotics trophies in their room, to lampshade all the crazy traps and locks in the house.

They also show that he had to bring an outside company into help set up some of this poo poo, helping mitigate the "How the gently caress did they make all of this alone?!?!" problem.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

food court bailiff posted:

Play the No Hero DLC

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

As I've probably already related at least twice in this thread, I was discussing the opening of BotW with a friend and we were talking about that part (since I too had missed the old man's cabin and the cooking tutorial) and she listed off four or five different approaches to dealing with the cold...none of which were the ones I used. :allears:

I just lit a tree branch and went from camp fire to camp fire. The trickiest part was throwing it up a cliff and chasing after it at one point.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I love how tense the putting music is in Golf Story. Finally a golf game that understands where the true drama lies.

Oddly it doesn't seem to be on the soundtrack, though I guess it is a fairly simple loop.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My god the Legend of Jack Sparrow game has become nested story telling. While telling the audience at his execution the story part about him gathering his crew in Torguga, in the story an old enemy he made corners him about a promise that he broke. Jack's like "Oh it's all coming back to me now... it's a very interesting story..." trying to weasel out of the interaction and the enemy props himself on his axe and says "Really? Then I suppose you'll be happy to tell it?" So now the story about how he recruited his crew has been sidetracked as he tells a character in the story the story about why he never gave him the money from the transaction. And in this story there is ~magic~.

It just keeps topping itself and it's amazing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, the Scheherazade defense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Exactly, it's 1001 Caribbean Nights and it owns. I'm hoping the stories keep getting more convoluted until the final few levels end up with all the stories colliding as Jack fails to keep them straight in his head. But we'll see. I'm nearly halfway done with the game, three levels away from the halfway point (using the map pieces as a barometer for progress)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Link’s face when he catches a fish in the Link’s Awakening remake cracks me up every time I see it

Look at how pleased with himself he is

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I love that Return of the Obra Dinn retroactively rewards my nerdy childhood obsession with tall ships by having period accurate costumes and social dynamics that are actually useful for working out who's who.

that poor stowaway though

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Outer Wilds(Not the Obsidian game): There's a running gag about how the Heartians, the species you play as, are terrible at space traveling, which isn't exaggerated at all considering you're travelling on a ship made of wood, among other disasters waiting to happen

(the outside)

(your space suit)

but while they are somewhat careless about their pilots' safety(their museum boasts about the "first Heartian to be intentionally launched into space"), they are also creative with the tools that are available to them. The ship's navigator has analogical indicators to help with your maneuverability

(the lights turned on indicate from which direction the thrusters are pushing)

(the meter on the right is adjusted to how close to the land you are, while the option of matching the speed of the celestial body you're close to is also at hand)

And they also are crafty enough to adapt foreign technology to their own projects. The ship itself contains a "gravity rock", a stone that projects a small gravity field around itself, thus avoiding the zero-G issue while inside their ships.

On the other hand, the Nomai, the ancient race that you're investigating in your voyage, were highly advanced but also adorable dorky. Scientists at heart, they always show great enthusiasm when stumbling on new discoveries and beginning new projects to study them further, with some light humor like building an unnecessarily detailed model just to explain that there are clockwise and counterclockwise typhoons on a planet("I also very much wanted to build a model." one answers when questioned why waste their time on this) or making they hypothesis that there can be too much lava, when exploring a planet that is constantly bombarded by debris from it's fiery moon.

This also ends up twisting the knife when, slowly, you go through their history on your system and read how little by little their light goes out, being stranded for generations looking for something that in the end might've just been a fool's errand.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Link’s face when he catches a fish in the Link’s Awakening remake cracks me up every time I see it

Look at how pleased with himself he is

That description is adorable :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The character of Black Smoke Jack in Legend of Jack Sparrow is a neat one and it makes for a cool design and interesting (although tricky) boss fight. He disguises himself in combat by filling the area with black smoke and hiding in it which is a common tactic, but also his facial hair also ends in tendrils of black smoke too, so it's like he's made of it rather than just using it. It's a fun character design.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Things went totally sideways when I was screwing around trying to make a contract in a Hitman 2 and instead of letting myself get gunned down by guards I was able to shoot a coconut off of a tree and step under it to KO myself and fail out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I finally beat the Black Smoke Jack arcs, and I loved the level so I recorded my successful attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqY3HTcuS7k

Legend of Jack Sparrow is a really neat game.