Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SkeletonHero posted:

I knew Captain Jack Sparrow was a pervert but drat this is next level

I think you knew I meant cranking the winch to lift the bucket. Silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The other thing - is it possible to set an HD TV to Standard Definition to stop the input lag issue when trying to play rhythm games from older consoles? Apparently part of the reason many old rhythm games are impossible is because of the HD TVs loving things up due to timing issues. Is there a way around that?

Rock Band 3 had an input lag calibration system you could use to mitigate the delay. Don't know of any other games that had something similar.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

saltylopez posted:

Rock Band 3 had an input lag calibration system you could use to mitigate the delay. Don't know of any other games that had something similar.

A lot of games have it, but there's only so much they can do. Most modern TVs have a "game mode" that mitigates lag quite a bit as well.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BioEnchanted posted:

The other thing - is it possible to set an HD TV to Standard Definition to stop the input lag issue when trying to play rhythm games from older consoles? Apparently part of the reason many old rhythm games are impossible is because of the HD TVs loving things up due to timing issues. Is there a way around that?

A lot of modern TVs will have a "low-lag" or "gaming" mode that speeds up response considerably. That said, it has nothing to do with the resolution; it's the nature of LCD vs CRT and things like that. Just go to goodwill and get an old tube TV and hook poo poo up to that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's another cute thing with Legend of Jack Sparrow btw - the framing device is this: Jack and Will get captured due to a double cross at the end of the first level, and the rest of the game is Jack lying his way out of being hung by claiming to have done all the cool poo poo that the levels show off
Like "Menacing Port Royale? Hang on, if it weren't for me, Port royale would be a smoking ruin right now!"
Then at the start of the level Will turns to Jack in the opening cutscene of the actual level and just has this exchange: "This isn't anything like how it happened..." "Shh. Follow along if you want to keep your head mate!"
Rather than Elizabeth being scared by the comedy duo, in Jack's version of events he found his way into her room and they fought their way out together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm reposting this from the Pathologic 2 thread to get more people to look at it - I'm just getting around to replaying the updated Marble Nest, the dlc for Pathologic 2 that's based from its alpha; I appreciate how the Haruspex's Bound (the NPCs that matter to you) are the Blood, Nerves, and Bones. The Haruspex, the main character so far in 2 since the others aren't out yet, "reads the lines" of people and places, and centers a lot on meat and organs. Historically, a Haruspex read the entrails of pigs and animals to tell the future. The Bachelor's are the Queens, Pawns, and Pieces - the Bachelor in Pathologic is a bachelor of medicine, he's logic and order. Death is to be solved and conquered - the NPCs are his pieces on the board.

The Bachelor is also a tremendous tool.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't know if it should count, strictly speaking, but I feel like I'm getting half of my entertainment from Outer Worlds' approach to voice clips for battle damage. Just constantly laughing as every fight is some variant of "AAAAAAGGGHHHH OH GOD IT BUUURRRNNS AAAAAAAAAAAAH [last enemy dies] Good job, everyone"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't know if it should count, strictly speaking, but I feel like I'm getting half of my entertainment from Outer Worlds' approach to voice clips for battle damage. Just constantly laughing as every fight is some variant of "AAAAAAGGGHHHH OH GOD IT BUUURRRNNS AAAAAAAAAAAAH [last enemy dies] Good job, everyone"

Screaming at every robot I encountered was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Screaming at every robot I encountered was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Just like real life!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m playing Tacoma and Return if the Obra Dinn at the same time and I just like the piecing together of timelines and what happened. Also I’ve drank some beer so that probably contributes to this fun I’m having. Hope everyone’s having a good day and also a good life.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Because I'm really enjoying it so far I've recorded a level of the Pirates of the Caribbean game The Legend of Jack Sparrow. Turns out I'd accidentally picked the best early level to show off all the best aspects of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGRyWEBlVA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The picture mechanic in Xcom 2 War of the Chosen.

I thought this was just a gimmick, but now I can't live without it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Some of my friends also play XCom 2 and we all put each other in our character pool and we’ll send each other the post-mission posters the game makes if someone shows up in it. It’s always fun doing that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leal posted:

I have close to 200 of these.
Yes, I made one after every mission. Sometimes taking more time than the mission itself.

ITS IMPORTANT OKAY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When Luigi's Mansion 3 autosaves, it has two different icons for it. One is a generic green dot, the other is a yellow flag. The yellow flag ones are to discretely tell you where a good stopping point is if you need one before the game launches into a new plot event.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint has a “discovery mode” you can turn on in the settings, where instead of map markers pointing you to go to the next objective you just get directions like “north of location X, by the mine, you can see the lighthouse in the distance” and then you use your map to navigate there. I need every open world game to do this at least as an option because it’s way more engaging and leads to a lot of interesting things to discover as you hunt down the objective.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint has a “discovery mode” you can turn on in the settings, where instead of map markers pointing you to go to the next objective you just get directions like “north of location X, by the mine, you can see the lighthouse in the distance” and then you use your map to navigate there. I need every open world game to do this at least as an option because it’s way more engaging and leads to a lot of interesting things to discover as you hunt down the objective.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey does this too, if I remember right based on watching my gf play.

Also Morrowind lol, except it's more 'walk down the path until you see the crypt on your right, turn left, keep going until the third tree, look over the hill over the river and find the house'. Inevitably you get lost. I think there's a quest very early on that sends you through some calderas or something that's a little infamous for this.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's a follow up from Asscreed Odyssey, which was also from Ubisoft.

I think RDR2 also had an option for this but I can't remember using it. Besides just galloping around you'd find enough weird stuff by yourself.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

That's a great idea. Following a pip feels like work, you know?

I've been playing Outer Worlds with the HUD turned off so I really have to pay attention to land marks and celestial features for navigation. Each world has a unique skybox with moving elements, so you can use multiple clues to find arbitrary north. Like, half-way between this planet and that moon is roughly SW, while the ring around the planet you are standing on goes N-S. The play areas are also compact enough to pull this off. It's kind of drawn me into the world more than when the HUD was visible. You start checking the map less and less, instead trying to figure it out youself. Towns you have to learn the layout of at ground level, but there are plenty of neon signs to help.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

madeintaipei posted:

I've been playing Outer Worlds with the HUD turned off so I really have to pay attention to land marks and celestial features for navigation. Each world has a unique skybox with moving elements, so you can use multiple clues to find arbitrary north. Like, half-way between this planet and that moon is roughly SW, while the ring around the planet you are standing on goes N-S. The play areas are also compact enough to pull this off. It's kind of drawn me into the world more than when the HUD was visible. You start checking the map less and less, instead trying to figure it out youself. Towns you have to learn the layout of at ground level, but there are plenty of neon signs to help.

The maps are pretty small which helps also

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah, when done right its awesome but a lot of games who started trying the discovery mode didn't do the required work to actually have directions so just let you turn off the pips without actually giving you a way to find what you're looking for besides roaming around.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, when done right its awesome but a lot of games who started trying the discovery mode didn't do the required work to actually have directions so just let you turn off the pips without actually giving you a way to find what you're looking for besides roaming around.

I guess Far Cry 2's map system was an early, and very flawed, version of this. The world was designed with too many chokepoints surrounded by rocks-as-invisible-walls for it to work, but I loved the concept. OW suffers from a little bit of that, but it seems they made the maps follow some internal logic. As noted above: the maps are small. Like small enough that you could see from one end to the other if it weren't for hills and poo poo. They are mostly hub cities surrounded by

decayed urban sprawl

and scattered municipal services buildings.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey does this too, if I remember right based on watching my gf play.

Also Morrowind lol, except it's more 'walk down the path until you see the crypt on your right, turn left, keep going until the third tree, look over the hill over the river and find the house'. Inevitably you get lost. I think there's a quest very early on that sends you through some calderas or something that's a little infamous for this.

There are three quests in Morrowind where the directions in your journal are outright wrong. One tells you someone is in Bal Fell, when they're in Tel Branora. Another tells you a place is west of Bal Fell, but it's east. And the last tells you to go north of Dagon Fel, but you have to go west.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You might like Miasmata then. I don’t remember it being amazing to play, but it had pretty in depth cartography and navigation systems in it that I still think about from time to time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been doing HUD-less Skyrim with a mod that rewrites all the quest objectives with better directions. It rocks. No more staring at a drat quest marker.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There are three quests in Morrowind where the directions in your journal are outright wrong. One tells you someone is in Bal Fell, when they're in Tel Branora. Another tells you a place is west of Bal Fell, but it's east. And the last tells you to go north of Dagon Fel, but you have to go west.

Wow, Morrowind is more true-to-life than I thought.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BotW has something like this only it's

"Here's the map. Go explore"

Not my cup of tea at all but apparently a lot of people like being dropped in a giant map and told to make their own fun

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, Botw would still give quest markers and let you put up your own map pips and beacons. However, you can just turn off most of the HUD, including the map, and wandering around is a lot of fun that way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Len posted:

BotW has something like this only it's

"Here's the map. Go explore"

Not my cup of tea at all but apparently a lot of people like being dropped in a giant map and told to make their own fun

:confused: BotW has a main quest and side quests with map pips just like other open world games.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I really enjoyed wandering in BOTW especially because it had some really distinct environments. Just like wandering around and all of a sudden, I'm approaching a jungle? Neat! I should explore that!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Yes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ariong posted:

:confused: BotW has a main quest and side quests with map pips just like other open world games.

I think they mean just after you finish the tutorial.

The only thing it says at the time is "Ganon is right over there. Go gently caress him up".

Seeing that was maybe my favorite part of the game. Having your end goal explicitly marked from the beginning is great because you're always thinking, "maybe I could do it now. Maybe I'm skilled enough and equipped well enough."

It's a fun psychological trick and I appreciated it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inzombiac posted:

I think they mean just after you finish the tutorial.

The only thing it says at the time is "Ganon is right over there. Go gently caress him up".

No, you also explicitly get told "Hey go head to Kakariko Village if you follow that road, they got some stuff for you". You're totally free to ignore it though.

There's a streamer who was playing the game and she didn't do the shrine near Kakariko early so she totally missed the tutorials on dodging and flipping and flurrying until she was 75% of the way through the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ariong posted:

Like, only barely. Basically once you get past the tutorial there's only a handful of dots placed on the map

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bewilderment posted:

No, you also explicitly get told "Hey go head to Kakariko Village if you follow that road, they got some stuff for you". You're totally free to ignore it though.

There's a streamer who was playing the game and she didn't do the shrine near Kakariko early so she totally missed the tutorials on dodging and flipping and flurrying until she was 75% of the way through the game.

My GF is in the end game and didn't know you could strafe hop or many other things.
She watched me play for an hour and kept saying "poo poo how did you do that?!"

I've watched her play a lot and she wallops Lynels no problem. It's odd but she plays differently than the game expects, I guess.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inzombiac posted:

I've watched her play a lot and she wallops Lynels no problem. It's odd but she plays differently than the game expects, I guess.

I think it was in Twilight Princess that the game only activated the 'advanced' enemy moveset if you locked onto them, so the easier way to defeat some enemies was to just not lock onto them and hit them with your basic whacks, because it meant they would never pull out their strong moves either.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's what she's doing. Almost never locks on, sprints around and spanks people.

Plus she's very... judicious with the special arrows.

I'm really conservative with expendable items in games. So much so that I get really, really good at the basic elements to the point of doing no-hit runs of Dark Souls (not the full game but really long stretches).

She just goes ham at all times and seems to be having a much better time :nagative:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite things in The Outer Worlds is that your companions will teleport to any elevator as soon as you hit the button. No having to wait for them, no lovely pathfinding trying to negotiate the z-axis, just POOF, there they are.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

My GF is in the end game and didn't know you could strafe hop or many other things.
She watched me play for an hour and kept saying "poo poo how did you do that?!"

Is your girlfriend that streamer girl? She sounds like that streamer girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

One of my favorite things in The Outer Worlds is that your companions will teleport to any elevator as soon as you hit the button. No having to wait for them, no lovely pathfinding trying to negotiate the z-axis, just POOF, there they are.

Aggravating if you're secretly trying to leave them behind, as one eventually does with every adventuring party