Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

God drat that blows, gently caress gear thieves forever

From what I've read they found out who did it and have arranged to have him brought in. Dude tried to flip this gear on a facebook post lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

From what I've read they found out who did it and have arranged to have him brought in. Dude tried to flip this gear on a facebook post lmao.

That happens soooo much on FB lol.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hahahaha

Hopefully they get everything back. That’s hilarious though. Gear thieves are always so stupid it’s amazing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well I tried to find Absu wristbands but none of the stores had any, so I guess it's, uhhhhh, red plaid season I guess?

This will be my first metal gig in at least ten years, if not fifteen. I'm kinda hype. :shobon:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
No mention of new Esoteric? Smh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2PCHX5UTM

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jesus, thank y'all for going on about the earplugs. It's loud in here.

Also lmao my bank blocked my card transaction when I tried to buy a shirt, I had to use paypal. Got a sweet rear end short now. :toot:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Inter Arma is good y'all.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

Inter Arma is good y'all.

Indeed. Did you catch Radien as well? They were pretty cool too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Uncle Acid are touring in a few months - I like a few of their songs I have heard. whats a good place to start?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

Uncle Acid are touring in a few months - I like a few of their songs I have heard. whats a good place to start?

Blood lust, inarguably. Mind Control is good and the new one is too but it's a bit more early 80s nwobhm than their original Neil Young and crazy train horse vibe

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Frank Caskelot posted:

Indeed. Did you catch Radien as well? They were pretty cool too.
Yeah! I very much Don't Get It, but they were a lot of fun. I grinned like a moron when the sax guy walked on the stage.

Sorry I didn't come to say hi, I couldn't spot you.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Sleep is going on hiatus again after the three upcoming shows in Chicago. Fare thee well, pterodactyl.

Incidentally I'll be at High on Fire tomorrow night with Power Trip, and then Electric Wizard on Friday :hellyeah:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sleep has exhausted their potential and I am thankful for their output. Goodnight you princes of Oakland, you kings of Mount Zion.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Well poo poo, not stoked on traveling to chicago in late december but it has to be done

edit: guess i'm going to be at the nye sleep show

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 12, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Honestly the fact that we even got a new Sleep album still feels like a dream

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Sleep is one of the best bands I've ever seen live, and the fact I got to see them even the one time still feels unreal to me. Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land, my dudes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had the pleasure of seeing Sleep live twice in a weekend, including the show in Dublin where they played nearly all of Dopesmoker. It was amazing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got to see them in 94 so each of the couple times I’ve seen them since is just gravy.

I’ll be psyched as hell when they come back in a few years.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

Well poo poo, not stoked on traveling to chicago in late december but it has to be done

edit: guess i'm going to be at the nye sleep show

And now you get to see Sleep play live as weed becomes legalized in Illinois.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Om and Wovenhand just announced a show at the Garfield Park Conservatory loving siiiiiiick

Doom / drone and a fuckton of cool plants

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hot Diggity! posted:

yeah, but there's really only one that matters in this context

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hot Diggity! posted:

Om and Wovenhand just announced a show at the Garfield Park Conservatory loving siiiiiiick

Go see em. Wovenhand is some of the heaviest stuff I’ve seen. Between the drums, bass, and all of the reverb all the way up on every instrument, it sounds like the apocalypse.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Go see em. Wovenhand is some of the heaviest stuff I’ve seen. Between the drums, bass, and all of the reverb all the way up on every instrument, it sounds like the apocalypse.

Is there only one Wovenhand? The stuff I'm finding on Spotify is the guy from 16 Horsepower and sounds like gothic folk reminding me of Six Organs of Admittance.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

hatelull posted:

Is there only one Wovenhand? The stuff I'm finding on Spotify is the guy from 16 Horsepower and sounds like gothic folk reminding me of Six Organs of Admittance.

You're hearing the early stuff I'd guess. His music has gotten heavier as they've gone on (I tend to think of what they do now as noisy/hard post-punk). I saw them a few months back and they were amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah check out Refractory Obdurate. I saw Wovenhand open for Russian Circles off of that album and it was extremely powerful live. Going to be a really interesting pair with Om.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

drat I guess I should have seen that Wovenhand/Jay Jayle show a few weeks back.

How Jesusy is Wovenhand these days?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

iirc hes a pretty intense Calvinist so pretty Jesus-ey but in a doomy way bc Calvinism is pretty loving brutal

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wovenhand is cool because I can recommend his earlier stuff to people who like folky music and his later stuff to people who like heavy music. The first album is really good!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Wovenhand is cool because I can recommend his earlier stuff to people who like folky music and his later stuff to people who like heavy music. The first album is really good!

I'm ready for the flood of "newer The Sword sucks" posts, but this is how I feel about them (except backwards)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i was a really big 16hp fan and saw DEE play a couple solo shows (billed as wovenhand but it was just him) but stopped paying attention after blush music. i should give the newer/heavier stuff a whirl.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone need a ticket to the Electric Wizard show Monday (Silver Spring)?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got some fresh Om dates with Wovenhand as support:

quote:

12/14/19 Pioneer Works Brooklyn NY
2/21/20 Mohawk Austin TX w/ Wovenhand
2/22/20 Gas Monkey Bar & Grill Dallas TX w/ Wovenhand
2/24/20 George’s Majestic Lounge Fayetteville AR w/ Wovenhand
2/25/20 Growlers Memphis TN w/ Wovenhand
2/26/20 Saturn Birmingham AL w/ Wovenhand
2/27/20 Terminal West Atlanta GA w/ Wovenhand
2/28/20 Grey Eagle Asheville NC w/ Wovenhand
2/29/20 Motorco Chapel Hill NC w/ Wovenhand
3/2/20 Black Cat Washington DC w/ Wovenhand
3/3/20 Underground Arts Philadelphia PA w/ Wovenhand
3/5/20 The Sinclair Cambridge MA w/ Wovenhand
3/6/20 Columbus Theatre Providence RI w/ Wovenhand
3/8/20 Spirit Hall w/ Wovenhand
3/9/20 Grog Shop Cleveland Heights OH w/ Wovenhand
3/11/20 Headliners Music Hall Louisville KY w/ Wovenhand
3/12/20 The Pyramid Scheme Grand Rapids MI w/ Wovenhand
3/13/20 Garfield Park Conservatory Chicago IL w/ Wovenhand
3/16/20 Fine Line Minneapolis MN w/ Wovenhand
3/17/20 Wooly’s Des Moines IA w/ Wovenhand
3/18/20 Slowdown Omaha NE w/ Wovenhand
3/19/20 The Bottleneck Lawrence ks w/ Wovenhand
3/20/20 89th Street Oklahoma City OK w/ Wovenhand
3/21/20 Sister Albuquerque NM w/ Wovenhand

That Atlanta date is the day before Cult of Luna, Emma Ruth Rundle, and Intronaut so I guess I'm for sure making that drive in February.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Blackwater Holylight were really good last night, despite getting off to a bad start when some chad got all in the lead guitarist's business during the (weirdly long) sound check and security had to get involved. the first song was kinda shaky- they had to stop to have the chad removed- but they settled in nicely and rocked the hell out. i mainly went to see them and would again in a heartbeat, so thanks again, thread!

Monolord look like off-brand Bond henchmen and were punishingly loud, as expected. they definitely have a great stage presence and were really fun even if they weren't quite as dynamic as the openers.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Headed to see High on Fire, Power Trip, Creeping Death and Devil Master tonight. First so in some time that I'm looking forward to seeing all the bands on the bill.

Report to follow.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Who is drumming for High on Fire since Des bailed?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hatelull posted:

Yeah, echoing everything replied already for the most part. His early stuff is fairly gothic folk/country but the last three albums or so are comparatively really heavy, in sound and in content.

Snowy posted:

drat I guess I should have seen that Wovenhand/Jay Jayle show a few weeks back.

How Jesusy is Wovenhand these days?

Kvlt! posted:

iirc hes a pretty intense Calvinist so pretty Jesus-ey but in a doomy way bc Calvinism is pretty loving brutal

His recent albums are still very scriptural, just in a much deeper and arcane way. I'm Christian and as a rule despise most Christian music made since true old gospel, but I have a lot of respect for DEE's stuff because it's all very personal and made for anyone who wants to listen to it. It's not proselytizing or condemning or love songs for Jesus or any of the other things that make contemporary Christian music so difficult to listen to. Even a secular person can listen to most Wovenhand and probably take a little interest in his treatment of scripture in a purely history/mythology context. There's little in the way of modern interpretation to them, it seems to be his poetic take on Biblical stories concepts. Kind of the way a lot of the Scandinavian metal bands just make songs about Vikings and other mythology from their region. And most of his lyrics aren't even quite as doomy as the music and his voice makes them sound. He writes with kind of an awe of God and I think his composition is generally an attempt to put into sound his perception of God's power. That's my take, anyhow.

They're touring with Emma Ruth Rundle, or will be shortly. And she's apparently hosting some kind of session at Roadburn 2020 that's featuring DEE.

Speaking of Emma Ruth Rundle, where should I start with her? I feel like I'm supposed to like her but have had a hard time really getting a feel for her stuff enough to fully lean in.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

On Dark Horses is a really neat and accessible album, listen to that a few times!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey this is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ift9lc7oVL8

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally remembered to figure out the name of that Melvins song I've just been referring to as "The ocean by zeppelin pulled out of a wood chipper and glued back together"

e:

butros posted:

The Kicking Machine?

bingo

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The Kicking Machine?