Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
System Shock 2 is my favorite game ever made. I found a physical copy of Prey (!) months ago at a Micro Center in their selection of like 8 games. It was ten bux and I had read this thread so I got it (it came with the cosmonaut package, so hello shotgun). However, the learning curve caught me and I left it alone for about 3 months.

What a fool I was. I love this game. I've just maxed out dexterity and can leap anywhere, plus my shotgun and golden pistol are modded to hell, plus the damage boost neuromods for weapons are maxed out.

My standard build for SS2 was navy, emphasis on hacking and getting the assault rifle ASAP, and I never really went down the psi tree past tier 2. That being said, I've been putting points in things like psychoshock and it's definitely paying off. I'm not going too nuts, like I think I just have the one morph ability to scoot past barriers, but I'm typhon enough to where I need to hack turrets.

This game is fuckin' great. Thanks for suggesting it so enthusiastically, ya'll. It really is SS3.

What builds did you all lean towards in your first playthrough, and why? Any regrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First playthrough I went full Typhon and all other playthrough a weren’t even half as fun.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’ve done one playthrough and it was full Human. I’m glad to hear that Typhon runs are also fun!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The more people I meet on this station the more I think I really should just blow this place up. Especially Alex.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

The more people I meet on this station the more I think I really should just blow this place up. Especially Alex.

But it's so pretty

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ESPECIALLY those loving angels on the outside of the aboretum

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

curried lamb of God posted:

yeah, the endgame would've been better if you had been given some way to shut off the operators, such as a level 4 hack at each dispenser or even uploading a virus from a central location

I think it needed a completely new area with a somewhat different aesthetic. Like how you got on the Rickenbacker at the end of System Shock 2. As I've suggested before, I think the best way to do this would've been to have Dahl arrive in a proper military-style spaceship rather than a shuttle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

curried lamb of God posted:

yeah, the endgame would've been better if you had been given some way to shut off the operators, such as a level 4 hack at each dispenser or even uploading a virus from a central location

But there is? There's a side mission to go outside and blow up a certain operator tinkering on the outside of the station, it stops the onslaught.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Neurosis posted:

I think it needed a completely new area with a somewhat different aesthetic. Like how you got on the Rickenbacker at the end of System Shock 2. As I've suggested before, I think the best way to do this would've been to have Dahl arrive in a proper military-style spaceship rather than a shuttle.

Good lord, the Rickenbacker onwards sucks. When people say SS2 is a classic they mean up to the end of the Command Deck. It feels like a completely different game once you step off the Von Braun.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Rickenbacker is OK. It ramps up the horror and difficulty to the edge of tolerance. It really feels hopeless and the upside-down deck is neat.

The Body of the Many is too long and not very fun, though. It's the SS2 version of Xen from Half-Life. The high-radiation areas are tedious and idiotic on Impossible.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Former Human posted:

The Rickenbacker is OK. It ramps up the horror and difficulty to the edge of tolerance. It really feels hopeless and the upside-down deck is neat.

The Body of the Many is too long and not very fun, though. It's the SS2 version of Xen from Half-Life. The high-radiation areas are tedious and idiotic on Impossible.

The Rickenbacker would be okay if not for the loving Black Easter Egg Hunt.
Hope you didn't miss one hidden behind a pipe, because there's no way of locating them other than combing the entire loving ship room-by-room!

Body of the Many is hot garbage though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Rickenbacker onward the game changes from a spatial fortress to a series of tubes you traverse.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Literal tubes. The texturework of the Body of the Many is from one of the developers' colonoscopy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Serephina posted:

But there is? There's a side mission to go outside and blow up a certain operator tinkering on the outside of the station, it stops the onslaught.

RIP Kaspar

We hardly knew you

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It’s not always outside. In my first play through it was in the secret area of that dude’s office in psychotronics. It’s randomised between several (3?) locations

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given the opportunity how could Prey be shorter or better paced?

Perhaps if the GUTS had an unlockable elevator...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SS2 should have ended after the rickenbacker, I kept thinking I was at the last area and then it just kept going and going (to 1999 first person platforming on giant moving teeth)

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Prey is actually the perfect game though. Probably the only pacing issue is the loading in the later levels but that's because you're moving from place to place.

I don't think any other game has made the environment as realistic as Prey has. It felt like a real lived in space and it was fun to learn pathing. I'm looking forward to Deathloop: it seems like Mooncrash might have been a test for that kind of gameplay.

Anyway Arkane rip it up and all their games are sick. God bless you Arkane

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

It’s not always outside. In my first play through it was in the secret area of that dude’s office in psychotronics. It’s randomised between several (3?) locations
It was at the helipad in the simulation you break out of for me

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Good lord, the Rickenbacker onwards sucks. When people say SS2 is a classic they mean up to the end of the Command Deck. It feels like a completely different game once you step off the Von Braun.

I don't mean literally the Rickenbacker. Just something like it in certain respects.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh loving hell Will will not stop talking.

Guess I'll open this crate I found floating in space while he's still rambling.

Oh.

OOOOPS.

Oh no a dead guy is speaking to me on the telephone.

ed:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 9, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hm.

okay I'm really, REALLY pissed off about the ending. Why the gently caress would you do that to your own game.

Haha it was all a simulation, good job. None of what you did counted for anyone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

okay I'm really, REALLY pissed off about the ending. Why the gently caress would Alex do that to you.

fixed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh thats a good point Here, I've just put you in a simulation where I've been an rear end in a top hat to you as much as possible. Now tell me how you feel about it?

At least he gets to die twice. vOv

Its a stupid plot thing that could work in maybe any other medium probably. But when you're in a game and have so much investment in it, this kind of plot twist just cheapens the whole experience. I feel really stupid playing this now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Synthbuttrange posted:

I feel really stupid playing this now.

Did you have fun playing the game?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I gotta say, I don't get the anger or betrayal you seem to be feeling. I thought it worked well as a plot event specifically because of the medium in a way that it wouldn't in the movie, for example.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That the entire game is a trolley problem test for Typhons is heavily telegraphed from the very start.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Did you have fun playing the game?

I had some fun but a lot more frustration. And after that ending I just uninstalled the thing, no matter that I hadnt completed mooncrash or started a no powers or different build run. Its a really souring ending. 'It was just a dream' is at the top of lovely plot ideas for a reason.

So I did have fun at this section before getting to the ending.

And Alex is loving alive again, I'M ALIVE AGAIN despite blowing both of us up, being told its all a test and I'm being rated on how well I played the game, 'it probably thought it was dreaming' to lampshade just a bit more, nothing matters. That's really loving on the nose and pulling you out of the game in several ways and spoiled a really interesting experience. I cannot recommend it to anyone, or if I were forced to, I'd tell them to shut the game off after the video of the station blowing up/nullwaved plays.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 9, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

At least he gets to die twice. vOv

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its a stupid plot thing that could work in maybe any other medium probably. But when you're in a game and have so much investment in it, this kind of plot twist just cheapens the whole experience. I feel really stupid playing this now.

Man, you just completely missed the whole point of the game, huh?

The whole premise of the game is explicitly about player engagement, it could actually NOT work in any other medium.

edit: tho i'll never get the "dream means it doesn't matter" thing, even in real life, dream experiences for and shape us as a person so they always have impact

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got really into it after bouncing off it hard then powered through it through the week. I was hanging on all the way to the end and the ending is a loving stinker.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I gotta say, I don't get the anger or betrayal you seem to be feeling. I thought it worked well as a plot event specifically because of the medium in a way that it wouldn't in the movie, for example.

Same.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had some fun but a lot more frustration. And after that ending I just uninstalled the thing, no matter that I hadnt completed mooncrash or started a no powers or different build run. Its a really souring ending. 'It was just a dream' is at the top of lovely plot ideas for a reason.

So I did have fun at this section before getting to the ending.

And Alex is loving alive again, I'M ALIVE AGAIN despite blowing both of us up, being told its all a test and I'm being rated on how well I played the game, 'it probably thought it was dreaming' to lampshade just a bit more, nothing matters. That's really loving on the nose and pulling you out of the game in several ways and spoiled a really interesting experience. I cannot recommend it to anyone, or if I were forced to, I'd tell them to shut the game off after the video of the station blowing up/nullwaved plays.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got really into it after bouncing off it hard then powered through it through the week. I was hanging on all the way to the end and the ending is a loving stinker.

Synthbuttrange posted:

hm.

okay I'm really, REALLY pissed off about the ending. Why the gently caress would you do that to your own game.

Haha it was all a simulation, good job. None of what you did counted for anyone.

None of what you did would have counted anyway, it's a video game

But seriously, what's the actual issue here? I'm getting that you're mad about it but can you explain why? The ending was foreshadowed at several points and fits together with some of the major themes that the game plays with. Neuromodding a Typhon to give it human empathy is also a really cool idea

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont be patronizing, I know I'm playing a drat computer game.

It goes from a person trying to survive a horrible situation or even a typhon that thinks its that human, to just a bunch of nerds watching a typhon play a computer game for *checks* 22 hours then scoring it at the end.

I am laughing that Alex thought 'Alex is an rear end in a top hat Simulator 2032' would turn around my feelings on humanity though. Get someone else to shake my hand and I'd have been way less inclined to kill everyone.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont be patronizing, I know I'm playing a drat computer game.

....... Or are you :thunk:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess you failed the test.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

....... Or are you :thunk:

If this was a game, I demand a refund.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Was it also disappointing when MGS2 revealed the Big Shell Incident to be a giant set-up for something completely different?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Synthbuttrange posted:

If this was a game, I demand a refund.

The last few dlcs really sucked.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They aren't testing the Typhon for their "feelings on humanity" but specifically their ability to feel empathy. It's the main recurring theme in the game, you're being tested for it at the very start within the simulation inside the simulation and most of the quests in the game exist to challenge and understand your ethics.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get someone else to shake my hand and I'd have been way less inclined to kill everyone.