Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Critical Role is contributing to the dumb idea of Europe all being exactly the same during the middle ages despite the fact that France and England were just as culturally different from each loving other as Korea and Japan were/are during the same time/today along with almost every single other part of Europe (Just compare the culture and folklore of Ireland to England and the way they treated the rise of Christianity with each other and drat is it literally anything BUT the way that generic fantasy europe depicts it) with their lovely amazon backed setting and series and should feel bad about it.

Go play Dark Sun. Dark Sun ROCKED and is THE ONLY fantasy setting in TTRPGs where EVERY king in the setting is OBJECTIVELY EVIL and the only good option is to murder the gently caress out of the immortal kings and then start an democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
For the new page

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hey friends, I'm trying to do a small research project regarding the economic state of the tabletop RPG scene, if you're a designer of any scale, it'd be cool if you checked this out, we're already getting a lot of really useful data that I'll be analysing and sharing with the community soon.
https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1192892576392720385

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Flail Snail posted:

Saw this today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletop/comments/drjdft/lose_friends_this_christmas/

I kind of want to back at $1 and drop a link to Ettin's "offensive card game" article.

Could you post the link to that article? I can't find it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheNamedSavior posted:

Go play Dark Sun. Dark Sun ROCKED and is THE ONLY fantasy setting in TTRPGs where EVERY king in the setting is OBJECTIVELY EVIL and the only good option is to murder the gently caress out of the immortal kings and then start an democracy.

My friend, I'm literally going to run a Dark Sun session in... about six hours, as per the time of this writing. :hfive:

(Of course, I don't actually use a version of D&D to run it. Most of the AD&D 2e settings are terrible to actually play with a D&D. I use Modiphius' Conan.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/AutumnLilyMTG/status/1192953657102389248?s=19

WotC: all about inclusion, including terfs

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Dr Snofeld posted:

Could you post the link to that article? I can't find it.

Here ya go.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sage Genesis posted:

(Of course, I don't actually use a version of D&D to run it. Most of the AD&D 2e settings are terrible to actually play with a D&D. I use Modiphius' Conan.)

drat, this is an extremely good idea.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

TheNamedSavior posted:

Or you could play Spellbound Kingdoms and not have to trip over d20s while you swash your buckles and ventilate your overlords :v:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Haystack posted:

Or you could play Spellbound Kingdoms and not have to trip over d20s while you swash your buckles and ventilate your overlords :v:

Okay, but what if I ran Dark Sun in Spire?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meinberg posted:

Okay, but what if I ran Dark Sun in Spire?

You'd be a person of taste and culture.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Huh. You mind updating if they make this better / double down? I’ve been thinking about picking up Magic again for the first time since 2006, but, uh.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Huh. You mind updating if they make this better / double down? I’ve been thinking about picking up Magic again for the first time since 2006, but, uh.

One of Magic's most prominent artists got basically cancelled by a large portion of the community after their Twitter like history showed a bunch of right-wing boomer-level takes.

The artist has since made some public milquetoast statements that have not been well-received.

The player making the above tweet, a prominent trans professional magic player, had taken valuable collectors versions of typically worthless cards by said artist, scratched out the artist's name, wrote messages on them , and put them in their deck under the assumption that they may get on camera at this high profile event.

WotC told them that they can't do that and to replace them with mundane versions of the cards.

Now, there's a bit of a row, since WotC has done a lot of LBGTQ and HK friendly stuff in the MTG space recently, and this feels at odds with that.

There's a lot to unpack, though, as:
  • the event is video streamed, and MTG is already hard to follow, visually, in streaming
  • the alterations are a pretty clear call-out of someone WotC does business with and who has connections with other artists they might hope to court
  • there was no penalty issued. The player was merely told that they couldn't play the very altered cards, which the rules (of course) give broad discretion to the organizer to disallow.

It's pretty bad optics, but it's also an awkward situation and someone unnamed at the company made a spot judgement thats only result is that the player can't make their statement on-air.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006

That’s more or less what I had gathered / inferred. I’m very curious about what the company does next.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toshimo posted:

One of Magic's most prominent artists got basically cancelled by a large portion of the community after their Twitter like history showed a bunch of right-wing boomer-level takes.

The artist has since made some public milquetoast statements that have not been well-received.

The player making the above tweet, a prominent trans professional magic player, had taken valuable collectors versions of typically worthless cards by said artist, scratched out the artist's name, wrote messages on them , and put them in their deck under the assumption that they may get on camera at this high profile event.

WotC told them that they can't do that and to replace them with mundane versions of the cards.

Now, there's a bit of a row, since WotC has done a lot of LBGTQ and HK friendly stuff in the MTG space recently, and this feels at odds with that.

There's a lot to unpack, though, as:
  • the event is video streamed, and MTG is already hard to follow, visually, in streaming
  • the alterations are a pretty clear call-out of someone WotC does business with and who has connections with other artists they might hope to court
  • there was no penalty issued. The player was merely told that they couldn't play the very altered cards, which the rules (of course) give broad discretion to the organizer to disallow.

It's pretty bad optics, but it's also an awkward situation and someone unnamed at the company made a spot judgement thats only result is that the player can't make their statement on-air.

I should also add that MUCH more dramatic alterations have been allowed constantly using just the guide of 'are the important bits clear still?' and these are literally just basic lands where all you need to see is A) no cost to play and B) what color. Also it's not really a call-out unless you know the context, saying gently caress TERFs and trans rights are good is a pretty broadly applicable statement.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This ruling would have been made by the tournament head judge rather than WotC the entity, but that doesn't excuse anything. Especially with WotC not responding to or really doing anything with it, and increasingly so if that judge is a WotC employee, which is certainly possible and even likely at high level tournaments.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mors Rattus posted:

This ruling would have been made by the tournament head judge rather than WotC the entity, but that doesn't excuse anything. Especially with WotC not responding to or really doing anything with it, and increasingly so if that judge is a WotC employee, which is certainly possible and even likely at high level tournaments.

Autumn later tweeted that WotC handed down the ruling, not the judges.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toshimo posted:

Autumn later tweeted that WotC handed down the ruling, not the judges.

...oof, that's...that's not good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I stand with Hong Kong but not those icky trans people.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This also follows another player blacking out TNs art with a sharpie a couple months back, which was allowed.

Also for reference those two lands cost something like $800 dollars.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neaden posted:

This also follows another player blacking out TNs art with a sharpie a couple months back, which was allowed.

I believe that was at a small, unstreamed side event.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Toshimo posted:

I believe that was at a small, unstreamed side event.
Sorry, just checking, but are you meaning to suggest that for these reasons, I as a trans potential player of the game should not be concerned about the company’s actions?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Sorry, just checking, but are you meaning to suggest that for these reasons, I as a trans potential player of the game should not be concerned about the company’s actions?

I think having a full picture of what's going on is important.

It's pretty obvious that the company isn't as likely to take direct intervention on something nobody is likely to see, as it is on one of its premiere broadcasts. That's the context of the previous post.

Also, I think this is a clever, but disingenuous move by Autumn. If they had just taken a couple of random cards and put the trans/terf messages on them, this likely could have ended differently. We'll never know now, because that bell can't be unrung, but that's not the real issue for WotC, I think.

Doing this with the specific, high-value, cards by that artist and crossing through their name makes this a direct shot at the artist (read: contractor) and, therefore, WotC (for having contracted her). WotC is incredibly unlikely to let that slide on their premiere content platform. Virtually no company would.

So, WotC is a bind because (a) they can't let people slag them on their own broadcast and (b) Autumn has poisoned the optics by conflating it with the terf/trans messaging. And, of course, people are ready and willing to buy into the latter narrative without considering the former.

So, I guess I have to respond with a question: Is the company obligated to let customers use their marketing platform to shame them for their previous business decisions?

I think very few companies would do that. I think their response of "just swap to regular cards" isn't out of line in this scenario. And, I think that this isn't a terf/trans issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

And, I think that this isn't a terf/trans issue.
Your privilege is showing. It's bought skylights and is blaring loudspeakers all around it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

Spot the cis dude

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dig UP

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I think very few companies would do that. I think their response of "just swap to regular cards" isn't out of line in this scenario. And, I think that this isn't a terf/trans issue.
Thanks for clarifying how much I disagree with you. This post helps me feel angrier at WOTC.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just looked up those cards, that's a $300 forest and a $500 island. Basic lands.

What the gently caress?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

King of Solomon posted:

I just looked up those cards, that's a $300 forest and a $500 island. Basic lands.

What the gently caress?

Guru island baby

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

What the gently caress?

Wizards really enjoys how Magic is becoming harder and harder to get into because it has become a collector's market for speculators and nerds with too much disposable income

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How is this not a trans/terf issue, holy poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's kind of a disingenuous example to use though, guru basics are still basics

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arivia posted:

Wizards really enjoys how Magic is becoming harder and harder to get into because it has become a collector's market for speculators and nerds with too much disposable income

Now, who's being disingenuous? Those cards are collector's items from 20 years ago given to players as rewards for teaching other new players the game. They are exactly the same, for play purposes as the ones that WotC will give you for free at any event. Their secondary market value has no bearing on the cost of entry into the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toshimo posted:

Your brain is loving mush my dude.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

Now, who's being disingenuous? Those cards are collector's items from 20 years ago given to players as rewards for teaching other new players the game. They are exactly the same, for play purposes as the ones that WotC will give you for free at any event. Their secondary market value has no bearing on the cost of entry into the game.

Go back to how a trans player calling out a terf isn't a trans/terf issue bitch

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I’m speaking in general. You know as well as I do that the cost of buying into any format (including Pauper, Standard, and Pioneer) is all greatly inflated by the secondary market, and Wizards has shown no appetite to stop that and is in fact continuing to feed it.

Yes, you can play Magic with a bunch of penny lands. But the particular culture that has lead to valuable basic lands being worth hundreds is worth explaining to people who don’t know about it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

If you don't want to engage with the people calling you out on your bullshit, about that bullshit, don't try and sidestep the issue by whining about something else. Own up or shut up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arivia posted:

Yes, you can play Magic with a bunch of penny lands. But the particular culture that has lead to valuable basic lands being worth hundreds is worth explaining to people who don’t know about it.

What you are arguing, for equivalency, is that the existence of $100+ artisanal, bespoke kickstarter dice are raising the barrier for entry to TTRPGs, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arivia posted:

I’m speaking in general. You know as well as I do that the cost of buying into any format (including Pauper, Standard, and Pioneer) is all greatly inflated by the secondary market, and Wizards has shown no appetite to stop that and is in fact continuing to feed it.

I guess I forgot about alternate art versions of cards being more expensive, because my brain just refuses to accept that a basic land could cost money, even recognizing that there are cards out there that are expensive as hell.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Toshimo posted:

What you are arguing, for equivalency, is that the existence of $100+ artisanal, bespoke kickstarter dice are raising the barrier for entry to TTRPGs, though.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Go back to how a trans player calling out a terf isn't a trans/terf issue bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

Hey shut the gently caress up and let's talk about how this is somehow not a trans/terf issue you absolute shithead