Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The sooner labour destroys the private school system the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-labour-theresa-may-gunpoint-kate-osborne-jarrow-a9196236.html

quote:

General election: Labour under pressure to drop candidate who shared post of Theresa May at gunpoint
'The impact of such images are clear - they incite intimidation and violence against female politicians,' say group of Labour women

Lizzy BuchanPolitical Correspondent @LizzyBuchan
1 hour ago

EPA
Labour is facing pressure to ditch a potential election candidate who shared a social media post of Theresa May at gunpoint.

A group of prominent female MPs seeking re-election have written to party bosses urging them not to endorse Kate Osborne to stand in Jarrow, as it would “undermine" efforts to stamp out abuse.

Labour’s ruling body is understood to be meeting on Saturday to discuss the seat, which was left vacant after previous MP Stephen Hepburn was suspended over sexual harassment claims.

The row stems from a post shared by Ms Osborne in 2017, uncovered by HuffPost, which showed the former prime minister cowering at gunpoint with the words, “Say strong and stable again”.

Dozens of candidates, including Yvette Cooper, Jess Phillips, Stella Creasy and Rosie Duffield, have signed a letter to general secretary Jennie Formby and members of the National Executive Committee (NEC) to express their “shock and concern”.

The letter said: “The impact of such images are clear - they incite intimidation and violence against female politicians. Many of our Labour colleagues - and indeed politicians from all political parties - have been subject to similar disturbing content online.

"When women in public life are facing unacceptable levels of intimidation, sharing this image not only indicates an extreme lack of judgement, but further feeds into the cycle of abuse that we are all currently experiencing.

"If Kate Osborne is selected, it would undermine any claim our party makes to stand resolutely against the harassment and intimidation of women in public life.”

Angela Rayner, the shadow education secretary, said the post was “totally unacceptable”.

“As somebody who has faced a level of abuse and death threats as a politician, I think a lot of people out there really don’t see vitriol and nastiness that is online pointed at politicians at the moment,” she said.

“I think it is totally unacceptable to share images like that.”

Asked whether Ms Osborne should stand down, she said: “It’s not a matter for me whether that happens, it would be the NEC that looks at that.”

Ms Osborne told HuffPost she apologised “unreservedly” for the post,

She said: “I shared an image on social media of a film parody poster making light of Theresa May’s forced and robotic statements about her ‘strong and stable government’ in the run up to the 2017 general election.

“I unreservedly apologise for having shared this image. As a woman, I am extremely concerned about the abuse and threats that women in politics face and if elected I will work with colleagues to challenge misogyny, hate and division in politics and beyond.”

It comes after another candidate, Gideon Bull, pulled out of the race in Clacton on Friday after allegations of antisemitism.

Ian Byrne, standing in Liverpool West Derby, also faced calls to resign after it emerged that he shared a social media post calling a female Tory peer a “c***”.

But it's alright for Jess Phillips to threaten to stab Corbyn in the front?

If you read the comments under the article you can find a link to the image which is I think Samuel Jackson in 70s look pointing gun.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 9, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TheRat posted:

Why is Yougov suddenly spamming ancient polls?

Controlling the narrative. If the current polls are bad, post old polls and hope people don't read the fine print. Make it look like your bosses people are winning, maybe it'll turn things around.

Its the same thing as the papers. Repeat the lies until people believe them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
currently looking back fondly on the time when MI5 broke down the Guardian's front door and threatened to take all their computers away. i think this is a thing that should be re-enacted if Labour win

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The more the tories and the libs gently caress about the more maoist I get.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

That's another picture to go with:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

An actual current poll

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192850557389746177?s=19

Heading the right way but not fast enough.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-labour-theresa-may-gunpoint-kate-osborne-jarrow-a9196236.html

But it's alright for Jess Phillips to threaten to stab Corbyn in the front?

If you read the comments under the article you can find a link to the image which is I think Samuel Jackson in 70s look pointing gun.

Eh I dont think we need to pretend we don't understand when jessflaps is speaking metaphorically. It's pretty clear what that meant.

Posting pics of Theresa may about to be shot is good and praxis but it's not very smart for a candidate

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i saw someone say the hey jew/hey jude story sounds to specific to be fake but like not too long ago hundreds of journalists were telling us a little girl was posting tweets from aleppo, they make up weird stuff all the time

even dan hodges is raising the old eyebrow here

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

sebzilla posted:

An actual current poll

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192850557389746177?s=19

Heading the right way but not fast enough.

The polls for 17 had labour 5% down on thier real vote, nothing says its not the same now.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
I wonder what Brexit Party are doing at the moment, they seem a bit quiet

vvvv it happened, then. gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1193148269750341634?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1193148269750341634

True or not, how is it remotely defensible to sit on a story about racism at the top of the party for twenty months, waiting for an election to be called?

If you cared at all about racism you'd want the guy responsible removed as soon as possible. And if he's willing to sit on it for political advantage, would he have reported the story at all if it came from a politician he liked?

The state of journalistic ethics is this country loving disgusts me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard Jeremy Corbyn was on the bus too and started a chant of Oh Jewremy Corbyn and the bus was racist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

The polls for 17 had labour 5% down on thier real vote, nothing says its not the same now.

Apart from the well-established trend that if a polling company underestimates the vote for one election they tend to overestimate it for the next.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I heard Jeremy Corbyn was on the bus too and started a chant of Oh Jewremy Corbyn and the bus was racist.

How long until a recording appears of Corden singing "Na na na na, na na na na, hey juuuuuuu-" [audio edited for length by Buzzfeed].

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQKrxErpC4&t=13s

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Anyone else at Laura Pidcock's campaign event in sunny Consett right now? :v:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1193155302172119040
We can go higher.

Were there even any polls this week? :confused:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

How long until a recording appears of Corden singing "Na na na na, na na na na, hey juuuuuuu-" [audio edited for length by Buzzfeed].
Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn sings "Hey Jude" a German word for Jewish people used by Adolf Hitler and notorious anti-Semite Max Horkheimer. See more inside.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I heard the bus had homophobic windshield wipers

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1193155302172119040
We can go higher.

Were there even any polls this week? :confused:

I took part in a YouGov one yesterday, so they're at least being conducted.

E: It's worth pointing out that anyone can join YouGov. Be the change you want to see in the (polling) world.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

Eh I dont think we need to pretend we don't understand when jessflaps is speaking metaphorically. It's pretty clear what that meant.

Posting pics of Theresa may about to be shot is good and praxis but it's not very smart for a candidate

It was posted in 2017, also obviously a joke, and she was a long way off being a candidate. Should everyone who ever thinks that they might want to ever stand for parliament etc watch absolutely every single thing they post or like from their earliest years? I don't think I know a single person (of any political persuasion and none) who would pass muster on that basis.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 9, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CptAwesome posted:

I heard the bus had homophobic windshield wipers
Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were on the bus making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby Hitler saluted at me!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was posted in 2017, also obviously a joke, and she was a long way off being a candidate. Should everyone who ever thinks that they might want to ever stand for parliament etc watch absolutely every single thing they post or like from their earliest years? I don't think I know a single person (of any political persuasion and none) who would pass muster on that basis.

Remember that screenshot of a Labour candidate's facebook that was taken about three years ago, and only released the other day?

Someone appears to be monitoring random left-wing nobodies online and gathering dirt just on the pure off-chance that they ever try to do something political. And they've been doing it for years. Worst of all, journalists know who is doing it (because they pass them the info) but don't consider that a story.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't get why anyone running for MP doesn't immediately scrub their own Facebook/Twitter tbh

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
surely by now someone knows, though? the guardian have always been lovely at protecting sources and under Viner they don't even try, it might upset mi5. Somebody just drop a USB with a data mining program outside all the relevant offices labelled SECRET; COR-BIN CRIMES and jobs a goodun

Rarity posted:

Don't get why anyone running for MP doesn't immediately scrub their own Facebook/Twitter tbh

internet archive? nick clegg is the source?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you become a candidate you should absolutely go back across your old social media and delete anything dodgy, yes. Otherwise people (to include Momentum thugs if you're a Tory) will come looking.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jabby posted:

Remember that screenshot of a Labour candidate's facebook that was taken about three years ago, and only released the other day?

Someone appears to be monitoring random left-wing nobodies online and gathering dirt just on the pure off-chance that they ever try to do something political. And they've been doing it for years. Worst of all, journalists know who is doing it (because they pass them the info) but don't consider that a story.

I did offer to our CLP that I would show anyone who thought they might want to stand for any sort of office how to scrub their facebooks and twitters. One took me up on it.
It's amazing how many people don't know how and don't think about it.
And people wonder why I scrub my facebook every few weeks and dump twitter accounts routinely!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Scrubbing doesn't work if someone is screenshotting your posts when they're created, years in advance of you entering politics. That's why it's so insidious.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Trying to not let the very coordinated media campaign against labour depress me. So I've donated to the party and got some merch.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Counting down until screenshots of UKMT posts start appearing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1193162159431340039
"Hey Jew" story appears to be officially dead, barring any new evidence.

Love the final swipe at Labour for not 'killing' the story quickly enough, rather than any blame on any journalist or outlet for spreading fake news.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jabby posted:

Scrubbing doesn't work if someone is screenshotting your posts when they're created, years in advance of you entering politics. That's why it's so insidious.

Are we sure they're not just using the Wayback Machine?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Z the IVth posted:

"Leftist thugs HOUND moderate voice of reason Pissflaps from their SICK message board"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jabby posted:

"Na na na na, na na na Nando's, hey juuuuuuu-" [audio edited for length by Buzzfeed].

ftfy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The solution imo is that in 20 years all the zoomers are going to look at people posting memes about shooting tories and going "lmao ya yeet 🅱️oris 🅱️ohnson out of no 10 get ya boy jake paul 4 pm 👌👌👌"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

I'm trying to make a guess of how much effort that would take. Every possible potential leftist candidate, every post, for years, just in case.

You could presumably automate it, if you had access to the resources (eyes Graun-MI5 link) and good algorithms (eyes Nick Clegg), but I think it would be too much for even a large newspaper.

Hopefully their source leaks.

Or maybe there is no single source, and it's like the UKMT hivemind that preserves screenshots of tweets from minor figures like tweetmans for years, but for centrist dads.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Z the IVth posted:

Fortunately SA still holds with traditional internet culture where you don't sign shitposts with your own goddamn name. I'll do the :goonsay: thing and note that I don't have any personally identifiable social media pages except for the blandest possible LinkedIn profile, and for a drat good reason.

I wish I could say that I'm surprised someone was e-stalking 'uppity' young muslim women so they could post gotchas later, but I'm really not. Politics in the age of twitter and agenda driven journalism is just depressing. So keep up the door knocking campaigns and let's hope it all goes over the heads of people who aren't online enough to notice just what a crock it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would say it's almost certainly some specific crank - someone in her social circle with a grudge, someone she friended in high school who wound up having radical different politics to her, maybe. police states only function because of informants.