Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Likely. Just slightly miffled about the cost difference between new 16C and the 24C TR. Expected the 3950X to drag the rest a bit down, too. I'm probably still gonna get a 24C, just later than planned.

Mainboard prices will probably make me go :psypop: once they become known.

Yeah, I was hoping the earlier guesses about the 24C being closer to $1k were true. I just can't justify spending nearly double for 8 additional cores, especially with the likely difference in motherboard prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

7502P is $2,500 with 8 channel memory but lower clocks/TDP, TR3970X is $2,000 with 4 channel memory but higher clocks/TDP.

Pricing looks like they didn't want to undercut the P series Rome too badly, which makes sense considering Rome is where all of their profit margin is.

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel indirectly stated that they don't expect to be competitive until 2023 so naturally AMD will take advantage of that situation. Expect price hikes, socket changes, the whole shebang. It's on our best interest for both companies to stay competitive in the consumer segments. :shrug:

article posted:

Intel alluded to pricing pressure from AMD during its last earnings call, saying it would impact the average selling prices of its chips and would result in lowered margins. Further, Intel CFO George Davis implied during an interview with Barron's this week that the company is digging in its heels for the long haul, saying "What we’ve said though, the delay in 10 nanometer means that we’re going to be a little bit disadvantaged on unit cost for a period of time." Davis then noted the company expects to return to 'very strong' revenue growth and margin expansion in 2023 as it overcomes the late ramp to 10nm. As a result, it's rational to expect lower pricing on Intel's upcoming 10th-Gen Comet Lake processors, too.
source

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Maybe if you want to drop an Epyc processor in there?

Yes please :flashfap:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So when will motherboard info and reviews start dropping? I’m hoping to take advantage of as many Black Friday sales as possible to build a new Threadripper box sometime this spring. I’m thinking I should probably start picking up the secondary components such as case, power supply, etc. later this month and maybe waiting until around tax season for the motherboard, processor, GFX card, etc.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Probably when the embargo lifts, starting on the 18th I think?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD pushed the board and cpu embargo to 11/25, apparently.

e: Actually that might be a bad assumption on my part, they have pushed availability to 11/25. The old roadmap had availability and review embargo on the same days (boooo!), but I haven't specifically heard if review embargo moved as well.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 7, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I already have the 2990wx, I was really hoping for a 64C 3990wx :smith:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Combat Pretzel posted:

The slides mention sTRX4 as a new socket for "scalability". What does that mean, anyway? It's kind of implied that it's deprecated again in two generations (with Zen4/DDR5).

According to Gamersnexus, according to AMD, it's because there are now 8 downstream and 8 upstream PCIe lanes in/out of the CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqPAPkGe70&t=483s

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So first platform update in 5 years is coming up shortly.. am on a very strict budget of Ł300 or so.

Going for:

Ryzen 3 3200G
CM Hyper 212 Black
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
250GB M2 NVME SSD
B450M motherboard(Asus probably..)

Replacing:

FX 6350
Some budget 120mm AIO water cooler I cant remember the name of.
16GB RAM
120GB SATA SSD
Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura

Transferring from AM3 to AM4 system:

AMD RX570 8GB

Also Case ,PSU, 1TB HD will be coming over.

Thoughts/comments anyone ?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think you'd be better off cutting corners elsewhere (eg the cooler) to fit a 2600 in there instead of the 3200G.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Llamadeus posted:

I think you'd be better off cutting corners elsewhere (eg the cooler) to fit a 2600 in there instead of the 3200G.

I don't think I could cut anything else down more then I have tbh, the 212 is by all accounts still the best value cooler out there that is an improvement over the stock and I cant see any other place I could compromise and save enough to justify that compromise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you already have the discrete GPU why are you getting an APU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you already have the discrete GPU why are you getting an APU

Because there is not a non APU Ryzen 3rd gen at my CPU budget (Ł100 or less) .. unless I am missing something ?

EDIT:

I am not, the price different between the R3 3200G and the "next step up" w/o onboard GPU R5 3600 is Ł90+ and there is no way I can fit that in budget.

mfny fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 7, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mfny posted:

I don't think I could cut anything else down more then I have tbh, the 212 is by all accounts still the best value cooler out there that is an improvement over the stock and I cant see any other place I could compromise and save enough to justify that compromise.

You're on an ultrabudget and wasting money on a cooler instead of buying a CPU worth cooling. It's foolish.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mfny posted:

Because there is not a non APU Ryzen 3rd gen at my CPU budget (Ł100 or less) .. unless I am missing something ?

The APUs are not really 3rd gen sadly. 2nd gen CPU and a handful of Vega graphics cores that are too much for desktop use and not enough for gaming.
You are much better off with a 2600 on clearance sale and a used Pascal card.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I will look at the 2600 then it seems, see if I can squeeze that in..

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The 2600 is 37% off on Amazon for some reason, which brings it to Ł110.

e: b

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
This ?

b]My basket at Overclockers UK:[/b] [INDENT] Total: Ł346.46 (includes shipping: Ł10.50) [/INDENT] [INDENT] [/INDENT]

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

The APUs are not really 3rd gen sadly. 2nd gen CPU and a handful of Vega graphics cores that are too much for desktop use and not enough for gaming.
You are much better off with a 2600 on clearance sale and a used Pascal card.

The RX570 I have works just fine in everything on at least High/1080p settings even on this creaky AM3 system so why would I change GPU ?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Use case?

Dunno what SSD prices are like in britland, but NVMe doesn't offer much for consumer workloads, deffo not anything you'd doing with a drive that small. If you can save any money with a SATA based drive I'd do it, M.2 or otherwise.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

Use case?

Dunno what SSD prices are like in britland, but NVMe doesn't offer much for consumer workloads, deffo not anything you'd doing with a drive that small. If you can save any money with a SATA based drive I'd do it, M.2 or otherwise.

SSD prices here are such that the price difference between NVME and SATA 3 is a non issue (+- Ł10 at a glance)

Primary use is Music Production/DJing, Secondary being Gaming. A little development stuff going on to..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nothing jumps out but id post over in the parts picking thread.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mfny posted:

The RX570 I have works just fine in everything on at least High/1080p settings even on this creaky AM3 system so why would I change GPU ?

Oh you have a decent gpu, nevermind that then

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ratbert90 posted:

I already have the 2990wx, I was really hoping for a 64C 3990wx :smith:

“WX” as a concept is going away since you don’t have NUMA configuration as a way to segment them from the Epyc lineup anymore (not that it made a huge difference at least on Linux).

The new WX are going to have more memory lanes I think, but that just leaves core count as a distinguishing factor. 64C TR 3000 would just be a cheaper high-clocked Epyc.

edit: I guess registered DIMMs would be another. Epyc gets the capability to go to TBs of RAM while unregistered limits TR to like 128GB or 256GB.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Picked up a 1900 for $100 on ebay for a dedicated triple GPU rackmount folding at home machine. Promptly realized how expensive mobos and how rare compatible coolers are :egg on face: especially for something that's going into the rack and will never be seen by anyone except my super nerd friends.

Was an easy install, though, and has been rock solid. Currently running a P2000 and 1070ti, going to add another 1080 here shortly which should put it above 2.5 million PPD.

New AMD announcements are interesting, but I still don't know if they're enough to get me to retire my Skylake-S, mostly because I will then have no use for it. Maybe I could turn it into a HTPC since my MacPro can't push 4k? But my mobo for that is full ATX...decisions...

e: ^ yeah, Paul, going above 32GB DIMMs non-registered is "probably fine" for most non-server applications but, honestly, probably cheaper to be able to get denser registered DIMMs because who the hell is buying 32GB DIMMs that aren't registered lol

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 8, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The images of Asus' TRX40 mainboards look like they still have these idiotic blocks of aluminium instead of proper finned heatsinks like the competition. What the gently caress, Asus?

--edit: Oh wait, Asrock goes with some hybrid ones involving active cooling with fans.

--edit: Only MSI and Gigabyte have proper finned heatsinks. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 8, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ratbert90 posted:

No 64C/128T 3990X? Fail and pass.

NewFatMike posted:

Re-energized about the prospect of dropping in a 3950X into by B350 Mobo. Apparently the 3900X works in it, so hopefully that'll be no different.
k

quote:

MSI clearly didn’t reckon on some of the hawk-eyed spotters at Wccftech noticing something curious in the manufacturer’s Creator TRX40 promo clip. A subtle slip may have just given away the existence of another Threadripper processor right after AMD just completed the unveiling of the 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and the Threadripper 3970X. A 64-core giant has long been rumored to be on the cards, and it looks like the flagship SKU has now been confirmed.

In the MSI video (which has since been more carefully edited), there is a desktop system being put through its paces using the new Creator TRX40 motherboard. At one point, Windows Task Manager is clearly shown on the monitor, displaying the number of threads currently running on the computer. Thanks to a screenshot (see below) it’s possible to count the number of horizontal processes (16) by the number of vertical processes (8), which gives a total of 128 processes. A 64-core 128-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X would be capable of this kind of processing performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-b...r.442132.0.html

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 9, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Has science gone too far?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MSI X570 MGP Gaming Edge Wifi board here, I upgraded to the newest BIOS and tried that 1usmus power profile and it actually hurt my performance, ended up going back to the July BIOS I was using. hosed up.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

MSI X570 MGP Gaming Edge Wifi board here, I upgraded to the newest BIOS and tried that 1usmus power profile and it actually hurt my performance, ended up going back to the July BIOS I was using. hosed up.

Not sure the naming convention for MSI BIOS but you can scroll down here for the latest that have come out for the past few days.

Though really the 1.0.0.4B has been a pretty big shitshow so hold off and get some views off the various subreddits and forums.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nice, thank you!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There's minor performance regressions, very tiny, with the newer ones, but it's worth upgrading anyway. I'm supposed to do it this weekend, but I'm lazy because I have manually set RAM timings.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Has science gone too far?

this is madness!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's an (placeholder?) Amazon listing for the MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi, for 460€, marked as "Sold and Shipped by Amazon". A bit cheaper than anticipated, with what speculations of the 600€ price range.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0815BB1M8

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So when does the embargo lift so we actually get to see benchmarks on the 3950x and the new Threadrippers? I’m getting antsy to start designing a new machine and I’m getting itchy jonesing for information.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The 14th, I think.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oh lord. I will buy this day 1. Inject it straight into my veins.

More physical cores than ram in my first PC.
Almost more threads than hard drive space as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Oh lord. I will buy this day 1. Inject it straight into my veins.

More physical cores than ram in my first PC.
Almost more threads than hard drive space as well.

Your first PC had less than 64 bits of memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

Your first PC had less than 64 bits of memory?

I should have said ”more cores than megs of memory”