Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Dexit hit especially bad because of the one-two punch of how they did it. There was a long enough time of quiet after the initial Dexit announcement that people managed to calm a bit down and most of the internet had convinced themselves of comforting assumptions like "It will only be Legendaries" or "Just billion form stuff like Unown, Vivillion, and Spinda". Then WHAM the actual roster gets leaked and it's a full on culling of half the franchise, including the starters and multiple fan favorites. It made people feel even worse than if they had announced who was out in the first place.
I guess they realized they went too hard on the hype cycle during Sun/Moon and ended up revealing everything too soon so they decided to do the opposite this time around which would have been fine if it hadn't come in the wake of Dexit.

It does suck that people are so obsessed with knowing everything about a game before they play it that this whole hype cycle marketing and leaks have become so prevalent. I guess Smash had the right idea by giving up and saying gently caress it, y'all are gonna leak it or go crazy about it anyway so we'll reveal everything before release. And people still went more nuts than they ever have before over leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's actually cool and good.

Now listen here sir or madam: your Final Fantasy XIV icon is cool and good, but it’s your username that matches the decision to put THAT in the plot of Chrono Cross.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQu2Z-Kauj8

people are getting creative with their saltyness

I like this version, for the long pauses between Pokemon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's actually cool and good.

Booooooooo! Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shwoo posted:

Yeah this version is way better. "At least ...50" is funnier and people need to lay off Charizard. He's a good Pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Booooooooo! Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!

Boo hoo I'm so sad the characters with slightly more depth than generic DQ party members died off screen due to them breaking the timeline over their knee in a game explicitly about the world getting hosed up beyond repair due to that time line fuckery.

The good bits of CT's writing have 0 to do with any of the character writing because it barely exists in the game. it's the fun bits they do with the time travel that are the good parts of CT's writing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
gently caress Chairzord and all the attention it gets.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Charizard's... all right.

Still looking forward to having Coalossal smack the champ's one down with extreme prejudice, though.

Say one thing for Rock/Fire, it's pretty well-equipped to deal with a Fire/Flying type...

e: then again, it would be just like them to give this Charizard Earthquake...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 9, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't care if Charizard is the 'popular' one.

But if you're going to include him, you have to include Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
They're a matched set :colbert:

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Boo hoo I'm so sad the characters with slightly more depth than generic DQ party members died off screen due to them breaking the timeline over their knee in a game explicitly about the world getting hosed up beyond repair due to that time line fuckery.

The good bits of CT's writing have 0 to do with any of the character writing because it barely exists in the game. it's the fun bits they do with the time travel that are the good parts of CT's writing.

:chloe:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ka0 posted:

gently caress Chairzord and all the attention it gets.

See, stuff like this just makes you look like a petty baby and makes Charizard likers like me feel a nice smug feeling of schadenfreude. :smug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All pokémon are good, some are just gooder than others.

Except Lucario.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Charizard is life. Charizard is love.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I just need to know shinies now so I can start planning killing myself via breeding.

Hatterne especially. Wanna see that trans pride flag poke become lesbian pride flag.

I'm sorry the what pokemon

Edit
https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1193180386123231232?s=19

I need it

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 9, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Disappointingly, I've seen someone say it's female only.

Gau from the anime will apparently be non binary though so Pokemon still cool.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Shwoo posted:

I’m crying holy poo poo

“CHARMELEON!... (long, awkward silence) ... that’s all, folks!”

It’s almost like 4kids saw the future.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Avalerion posted:

Actually, he isn't. The article only mentions him as an "androgynous pretty boy". He's not actually non-binary.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm a Blastoise and Typhlosion guy but when I saw only Zard was in I went and did the sensible thing, which is find a shiny one in LGEevee to send over and make big.

By the way, is there any word on what Galar Mime Jr. looks like? Is it just the same? I can't find jack poo poo about it online.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Avalerion posted:

That was a mistranslation apparently, he’s just an androgynous looking guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn’t Japan pretty regressive on lgbtq issues compared to the west?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Japan's very traditional and most of the time, lgbtq characters are mostly used a punchline to a joke rather then being portrayed in a respectable manner.

Expecting a mainstream anime aimed at children like Pokemon to even have that would be too much unfortunately.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

She's perfect and Grimmsnarl and her are bayonetta hair goblins and they're both going on my team i don't give a poo poo if I'm doubling up on typings.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm kind of surprised that they aren't version exclusives to each other (or maybe they are?)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Expecting a mainstream anime aimed at children like Pokemon to even have that would be too much unfortunately.

Blanche from pokemon go got explicitly called they in some official blog so it's not that far out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zuzie posted:

Japan's very traditional and most of the time, lgbtq characters are mostly used a punchline to a joke rather then being portrayed in a respectable manner.

You really don't seem to know anything about LGBT issues in japan outside what you saw some anime do. This is the equivalent of going "You know america is very Traditional. There are no gay characters in Transformers or other kids cartoons". I mean there is now, but that change happened like maybe 4 years ago so maybe cool it. But also it's true of poo poo in japan now too so...

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Blanche from pokemon go got explicitly called they in some official blog so it's not that far out.

This is an English-only thing, mind. Although the game is made in America I wonder how much pull the Japanese devs still have over things like this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Japan does have pride parades and their own LGBT culture, just we dont see it often in the media that gets popular overseas.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Japan does have pride parades and their own LGBT culture, just we dont see it often in the media that gets popular overseas.

Or at least, in the media that gets popular online with anime fans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not really? It has its own issues and legally speaking they don't have gay marriage and they have more barriers in the way of trans people, and there's more misunderstanding due to those things, but in terms of popular support for gay marriage, it's higher in Japan than it was in America before it was passed.

Zuzie posted:

Except mainstream anime aimed at children has had good LGBT characters? PreCure recently had a character who was pretty gender nonconforming, was born male but talked about not wanting to grow up into a 'masculine' man and got a magical transformation like the lead girls, and a character who's pretty obviously his love interest and has an arc of initially finding him gross before realizing that regressive attitudes suck. There's a few issues (it's not super clear if he's a femme-y gay dude or nonbinary, his boyfriend isn't made explicit) and its a side plot, but its well meaning. Also

and also

this is an anime from 1985. admittedly dirty pair's aimed at young adults, not kids, but still.

and also

panel from a shonen manga, nabari no ou, by a nonbinary author. one of the main characters is nb and it explores that in detail. it wasnt one piece or anything but it was fairly popular, popular enough to run for six years and reach a natural conclusion instead of being canned. got an anime too.

obviously japan has its own issues with LGBT stuff but the idea that the west is somehow massively superior to it in this field or that there aren't artists exploring this stuff in all avenues of pop culture is moronic. it's not even a matter of 'what's popular,' plenty of stuff that is popular does handle this stuff well, it's just fairly rare to see it in the megapopular stuff that even people who aren't into anime have heard of. but, i mean, it's also rare to see it in megapopular stuff that everyone has heard of in the west, lol. like the most the avengers could manage for gay rep is a background character mentioning his dead husband, and they were clearly expecting rapturous applause for that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 9, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The things we do get occasionally are pretty great though. Yuri on Ice is easily one of the best anime to come out in the past few years and while I haven't seen the anime for it yet, Wandering Son was really good too when I read the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck if we're talking about nonbinary specifically, ive seen waaaaay more of that in anime/manga than in western film and stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably more apt to single out nintendo than japan as a whole

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Infinitum posted:

I don't care if Charizard is the 'popular' one.

But if you're going to include him, you have to include Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
They're a matched set :colbert:

Turtle tank and Frog Flower deserve to be in if they had to give Fire Lizard a new form.

It’s even worse than Blaziken getting a mega in Kalos without the other two.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Nanigans posted:

See, stuff like this just makes you look like a petty baby and makes Charizard likers like me feel a nice smug feeling of schadenfreude. :smug:

Fire-starter pickers are mouthbreathers whom I just point my index finger at and laugh from across the street.

Avalerion posted:

D... did you just assume its gender?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know how Endorph has a sixth sense that tells her when people are posting wrongly about LGBT topics in Japanese media, but I'm always glad to see it

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Just thought having it be like primarina where it looks very feminine but can be either male or female would be neat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

loving delete your brain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's probably more apt to single out nintendo than japan as a whole

yea these kinda convos always get real weird and 'ah the mysterious east with their backwards minds...' when really your beef is with a huge multinational corporation. Japan, like every country, has many different elements when you talk about how they view a major social issue and to make blanket 'good/bad' statements is silly.

Ka0 posted:

literally one joke

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

maybe pokemon gender is gender and not sex, making the line being female-only entirely appropriate

(entirely appropriate only for trans representation, not GNC representation, unfortunately)

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man can I just say how much I hate that penguin Pokemon. It’s just a penguin. With a dumb block head. It’s worse than Toucannon. At least he had the most hateful eyes on any creature known.