Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
English VA's were on fire this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
As someone who's job requirements include 'Mandatory Reporter' this episode bugged me just a little. It's a good episode it's just.. C'mooon.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SolarFire2 posted:

As someone who's job requirements include 'Mandatory Reporter' this episode bugged me just a little. It's a good episode it's just.. C'mooon.

I was also thinking it's weird that pro heroes aren't mandatory reporters in this world but I looked it up and apparently Japan doesn't have a mandatory reporting law irl.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What’s a mandatory reporter?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

What’s a mandatory reporter?

People in certain positions have to report if they see evidence of abuse.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Fair warning. We've only seen the tip of it. It gets worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pakled posted:

I was also thinking it's weird that pro heroes aren't mandatory reporters in this world but I looked it up and apparently Japan doesn't have a mandatory reporting law irl.

If there’s a superpowered individual involved wouldn’t that just wind up right back in the hero’s jurisdiction?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Pakled posted:

Laws or not, it's just weird that someone would be like, "Hmm, you show clear signs of abuse and this person is obviously causing you distress.. Whatever, run along now."

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well that's clearly not what happened.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

Laws or not, it's just weird that someone would be like, "Hmm, you show clear signs of abuse and this person is obviously causing you distress.. Whatever, run along now."

The whole idea was not tipping off the abuser that the police were after him. In theory, it was delaying help for a scared little girl for the greater good.

Deku's reflexive willingness to throw out months of effort to help the little girl in front of him is why he's All Might's chosen heir, but it's also a very short term view, even if you could argue that it's the most moral one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The whole idea was not tipping off the abuser that the police were after him. In theory, it was delaying help for a scared little girl for the greater good.

Deku's reflexive willingness to throw out months of effort to help the little girl in front of him is why he's All Might's chosen heir, but it's also a very short term view, even if you could argue that it's the most moral one.

Also there's a very reasonable chance it could end up with one or both of them as a literal smear on the wall as it happened to somebody in this episode

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also there's a very reasonable chance it could end up with one or both of them as a literal smear on the wall as it happened to somebody in this episode

If only one of them could phase through walls..

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

If only one of them could phase through walls..

That really wouldn't help Deku much, especially since he doesn't know what Overhaul's quirk is yet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

Yeah and think about what All Might would do and what Mirio did and Nighteye saying that's the better choice.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kild posted:

Yeah and think about what All Might would do and what Mirio did and Nighteye saying that's the better choice.

Well yes, in that one scene we basically see the difference between All Might and Nighteye encapsulated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

Fair warning. We've only seen the tip of it. It gets worse.
Yeah, let's not go there.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Papyru-I mean Togata and Deku have such a great dynamic together. Hope we get to see more of it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I kind of took this as an instance similar to meeting Shigaraki in the mall. Even if they had been able to get Eri away safely short-term, Overhaul wouldn't have let them go quietly and starting a fight in the middle of the street with a top-tier villain puts alot of people at risk and Overhaul could kill a loving lot of people really quickly if he wanted to.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 10, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nephthys posted:

I kind of took this as an instance similar to meeting Shigaraki in the mall. Even if they had been able to get Eri away safely short-term, Overhaul wouldn't have let them go quietly and starting a fight in the middle of the street with a top-tier villain puts alot of people at risk and Overhaul could kill a loving lot of people really quickly if he wanted to.
The thing is that Overhaul isn't a complete psychotic nihilist like Shigaraki- he's a planning kind of a guy with a rigid organization and so far has made an effort to still be able to act as a civilian. Shiggy would've thrown down the microsecond it looked like they weren't going to turn Eri over- Overhaul tried to get them out of sight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The thing is that Overhaul isn't a complete psychotic nihilist like Shigaraki- he's a planning kind of a guy with a rigid organization and so far has made an effort to still be able to act as a civilian. Shiggy would've thrown down the microsecond it looked like they weren't going to turn Eri over- Overhaul tried to get them out of sight.

Letting them get away with her isn't really an option for him though. She knows too much about him and his operation to risk her talking to heroes. It would probably be over for him if that happened anyway. Plus it's not like they knew what kind of person he was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fabricated posted:

Overhaul still has a streak of that, however-see that one mook who tries to apologize, and Overhaul doesn't listen out to him, completely splatters him, and then asks "Can someone get the janitor in here?".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love the scenes where it shows off how loving proud All Might is of Midoriya. :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

Overhaul still has a streak of that, however-see that one mook who tries to apologize, and Overhaul doesn't listen out to him, completely splatters him, and then asks "Can someone get the janitor in here?".

A good villain doesn’t let loose loving ends hang about and nothing about Overhaul so far suggests he likes leaving loose ends (he’s too much of a neat freak)

Nephthys posted:

Letting them get away with her isn't really an option for him though. She knows too much about him and his operation to risk her talking to heroes. It would probably be over for him if that happened anyway. Plus it's not like they knew what kind of person he was.

He wasn’t letting them get away and almost assuredly was about to splatter them if Eri didn’t acquiesce.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, All Might wouldn't have let Overhaul go, All Might also would have moved so fast and so absurdly shut down Overhaul that he wouldn't have been able to blink and process just how badly he got poo poo on. Deku's not on that level. Mirio is able to go intangible but he'd not be able to do so AND protect Deku and Eri.

Basically, as others have said, Mirio made the logical call, but Deku's unbending nature to refuse to let evil exist is what makes him All Might's successor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheKingofSprings posted:

He wasn’t letting them get away and almost assuredly was about to splatter them if Eri didn’t acquiesce.

I forget the context from the manga, but I could have sworn the thing he did with his glove was less "Let go of the green kid or he and Blondie are going to be blood splatters on the walls" and more "If you let go now, maybe I won't hurt you as much when we get back home".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Junpei posted:

I forget the context from the manga, but I could have sworn the thing he did with his glove was less "Let go of the green kid or he and Blondie are going to be blood splatters on the walls" and more "If you let go now, maybe I won't hurt you as much when we get back home".

overhaul's quirk requires direct skin contact, so he only takes off his gloves when he need to splatter somebody

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I took it more as "come along or I splatter these heroes". When the apologizing mook got splattered, Eri's reaction seemed like it wasn't the first time she'd seen it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm sure that the rest of the season is basically going to be Deku having to track down Eri to say "I'm sorry I didn't rescue you sooner" and he'll grow from it, but seeing All Might's 2 favorite proteges have an abused child in their arms and give her up by walking into a dark alleyway with a notorious criminal is just :psyduck:

yall are superheroes not cops, rescue the drat girl even if it makes the trail go cold

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i mean if they tried to do something there'd most likely be two deku and mirio shaped blood spatters on the wall, which wouldn't be great for episode 4 of the new season

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Deku would be dead, Mirio would probably be okay after seeing Deku go splat to touch but he's sure as gently caress not saving the girl. Sir would then get to tell All Might I told you so while they try and scrape up Deku's DNA hoping his bloodstain has the will to pass OFA on.

And to be fair this whole thing was eating Deku's soft marshmallow hero brain alive while Mirio has an extra 2 years of experience to resist the urge to pull Overhauls pants down while Deku runs like hell with Eri.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 10, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cephas posted:

I'm sure that the rest of the season is basically going to be Deku having to track down Eri to say "I'm sorry I didn't rescue you sooner" and he'll grow from it, but seeing All Might's 2 favorite proteges have an abused child in their arms and give her up by walking into a dark alleyway with a notorious criminal is just :psyduck:

yall are superheroes not cops, rescue the drat girl even if it makes the trail go cold

Another part of the problem is that they don't have any proof that Chisaki is a criminal.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Fat and Useless posted:

Deku would be dead, Mirio would probably be okay after seeing Deku go splat to touch but he's sure as gently caress not saving the girl. Sir would then get to tell All Might I told you so while they try and scrape up Deku's DNA hoping his bloodstain has the will to pass OFA on.

And to be fair this whole thing was eating Deku's soft marshmallow hero brain alive while Mirio has an extra 2 years of experience to resist the urge to pull Overhauls pants down while Deku runs like hell with Eri.

If they commit to the fight the Mirio wrecks them. His whole gimmick was being unstoppable in a fight. All Deku would have to do is run, which he's very good at.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If they commit to the fight the Mirio wrecks them. His whole gimmick was being unstoppable in a fight. All Deku would have to do is run, which he's very good at.

Miro is very much not unstoppable. He is able to use his power extremely effectively but there are very much limits to what it can do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

His gimmick was beating up children while flashing them

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That's what I'm saying. Deku can run, Mirio can phase. It doesn't need to be a fight, they can grab the girl and disappear before Overhaul can get his gloves off.

Also I've not read the manga, but I have a feeling that saving the girl then and there would have saved them a lot of trouble down the line. She's clearly an asset to him, and they would have done better to deny him said asset.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 11, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think Mirio can make other people phase with him.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

That's what I'm saying. Deku can run, Mirio can phase. It doesn't need to be a fight, they can grab the girl and disappear before Overhaul can get his gloves off.

Also I've not read the manga, but I have a feeling that saving the girl then and there would have saved them a lot of trouble down the line. She's clearly an asset to him, and they would have done better to deny him said asset.

And then he either goes on a rampage against the civilians around in a rage, or he takes them to court for kidnapping and they decide there was not adequate proof she was being abused and give her back. They don't know enough about the circumstances, like if she has siblings left at home or her mother is a hostage, and they have no actual legal proof that anything is wrong at that moment. Heroes in this setting seem to be just as restrained and law abiding as the police for the most part, so very little good would most likely have come out of it.

Edit: Are theoretically supposed to be. In contract to most superhero fictions where superheroes ignore the law completely and do whatever they want.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 11, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zeron posted:

Heroes in this setting seem to be just as restrained and law abiding as the police

Probably not the thread for this particular discussion but lol

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably not the thread for this particular discussion but lol

Do you want to explain this in the manga thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Hero Goroshi: Stain was right, what good are heroes who turn their backs on a babby demon girl for things like ~rule of law~ and ~unpaid internships~