Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Yes, though the Dwarven empire is the single most powerful polity on their continent so they don't get hosed with very often. And when they do they have the legions to pointedly explain the mistake. The only ones who try regularly are orcs - which are almost all infected with a hivemind cordyceps fungus that disables their emotional regulation and feeds off their adrenaline.

It would take a supreme badass to wear dwarven plaits as a trophy because every dwarf would be honor bound to kill them and return it to the appropriate clan. They would be a magnet for dwarf bounty hunters and adventurers. Come to think of it, that would be a great hook for the two PC dwarves at my table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like when the Gauls held the Roman standard during the Vercingetorix campaigns. Great set up for a big bad.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dameius posted:

You have any slavers or dwarf hunters in your game? Just thinking this through, you could have them knowingly wear the dwarf beard plaits or parts of it on their armor to tell the story of the strongest dwarves they've captured/killed/whatever.

The orc faction leader in the Warhammer MMO literally had an entire cloak made from dwarf beards.

It's one of the only things I remember about that game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
dang, i forgot about age of reckoning. that was some fun pvp for a while.

bright wizard supremacy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
None of this solves the lathe problem

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dwarven hair is almost magically tough and fire resistant.

Smiths of the old school wear special leather aprons that keep the beard contained and pressed against the dwarf when operating dangerous machinery. After the elven refugee crisis elves adopted into smithin clans realized it was easier to just remove their beard prosthesis while working the forge. Smiths of the new school shave their beards and wear prostheses like the elves. Over time the social hostility between the schools is not as acrimonious as it was generations ago, but they still do not associate with one another. As a result masterwork items from the different schools have small and subtle differences as each hones their own skill and technique without sharing from the others. And the new school incorporates subtle elven influences into their designs.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I mean, dwarves are often seen as angry grudge bearers who might go out of their way to plot revenge against you, even if they are not a major force in the world (See Warhammer dwarves). I mean, the dwarves can attack you when you least expect it, they don't give a poo poo about the current politics going on. Try to attack them back? Good luck attacking their well defended mountain fortress. Try to starve them out? They can survive on mushrooms grown in their caves and they are much better than humans with stocking up food which is well preserved. You don't mess with dwarfs, large empire or not.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Midig posted:

I mean, dwarves are often seen as angry grudge bearers who might go out of their way to plot revenge against you, even if they are not a major force in the world (See Warhammer dwarves). I mean, the dwarves can attack you when you least expect it, they don't give a poo poo about the current politics going on. Try to attack them back? Good luck attacking their well defended mountain fortress. Try to starve them out? They can survive on mushrooms grown in their caves and they are much better than humans with stocking up food which is well preserved. You don't mess with dwarfs, large empire or not.

Terry Pratchett posted:

There’s a dwarfish saying: ‘All trees are felled at ground-level’ - although this is said to be an excessively bowdlerized translation for a saw which more literally means, ‘When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth.'

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kind of a weird question (not dwarf related), but from looking around it seems a lot of the more interesting Roll20 groups livestream their sessions on Twitch. Is this a “thing” now? Everyone’s trying to be the next Critical Roll?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

change my name posted:

Kind of a weird question (not dwarf related), but from looking around it seems a lot of the more interesting Roll20 groups livestream their sessions on Twitch. Is this a “thing” now? Everyone’s trying to be the next Critical Roll?

Basically, yes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I’d say it’s just an outgrowth of the fact that people nowadays like watching other people play stuff, be it videogames or ttrpgs, as much as they like playing them themselves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I’d say it’s just an outgrowth of the fact that people nowadays like watching other people play stuff, be it videogames or ttrpgs, as much as they like playing them themselves.

yeah when I'm tired and want to wind down I often just watch game playthroughs/reviews instead of actual TV or whatever.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I like DnD and all, but I just don't have the patience for streaming and such. I force myself to watch some of it since I know my players do and to try to become a better GM. But I find it so hard to enjoy listening to other people do something, I am just treating it like homework with coffee and writing down notes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Midig posted:

I like DnD and all, but I just don't have the patience for streaming and such. I force myself to watch some of it since I know my players do and to try to become a better GM. But I find it so hard to enjoy listening to other people do something, I am just treating it like homework with coffee and writing down notes.

The thing with a lot of them is that it takes forever to get anywhere in D&D. That's fine if I'm playing because I'm actively participating (and able to push forward if needed) but listening to other people fumble through stuff? Especially if they're also trying to put on a show for viewers? Gets obnoxious real fast.

I think the only exception to this was Men Quaffing Elixirs but they were doing a more Fate system-y thing anyway.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ramos posted:

The thing with a lot of them is that it takes forever to get anywhere in D&D. That's fine if I'm playing because I'm actively participating (and able to push forward if needed) but listening to other people fumble through stuff? Especially if they're also trying to put on a show for viewers? Gets obnoxious real fast.

I think the only exception to this was Men Quaffing Elixirs but they were doing a more Fate system-y thing anyway.

At the same time its not that different from when a serialized tv show has a terrible b plot or filler episode or even filler arc that’s just spinning wheels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me -- anyone want to recommend more material like the Adventure Zone live shows? Basically super-compact adventures, geared more towards comedy than seriousness, where you don't need to know more than the broadest strokes about the characters. Doesn't have to be D&D.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's mostly just finding people you like listening to regardless of system.

I have like 5 streams and podcasts I listen to because I enjoy the cast and their interactions regardless of what's happening in the plot.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As mentioned, Men Quaffing Elixirs. They're just a group that used to do LPs on the Let's Play subforum here and they're pretty much just the sort of chill and crack jokes sort of LPers too.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
You guys think Paladins getting spirit guardians as a 3rd level spell will survive the UA transition into official content? Seems to straight up counter one of the single-classed Paladin’s two main weaknesses: hordes (the other being ranged enemies). Obviously there’s more to it than “guess hordes are easy for Paladins now” since they have limited spell slots and don’t get level 3 spells til 9, etc.. but it still seems like a really really strong spell addition for a class that WANTS to be in melee.

Of course, Crown Paladins already get it, but I don’t think it’s that common of an oath and the rest of Paladins getting SG will probably make it less common.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm honestly more disappointed that from interviews it sounds like this isn't going to be going towards a 5.5.

It's just going to be another supplement. Which is dumb as gently caress.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dexo posted:

I'm honestly more disappointed that from interviews it sounds like this isn't going to be going towards a 5.5.

Everything I've heard from everyone involved is that this edition is designed to go on until it dies, or the company does.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So my bad guy campaign is sort of falling apart as two people in it have decided to go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

So my bad guy campaign is sort of falling apart as two people in it have decided to go.

Sit down with them in the smallest group and have an honest conversation with them about why they're going - is it a lifestyle change, incompatibility with other group members, not liking the evil campaign idea. If you appreciate them as players it's probably worth restarting the campaign to keep them involved. Being villains can be a dealbreaker for some players, and you should respect that.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ramos posted:

Some of the streamers that wotc gets to do previews of published books on the dungeons and dragons channel tend to be tighter because they're actually given a limited time to get stuff done.
With the exception of Dragon Friends who managed to get barely anywhere in ToA.

But yeah, a lot of streams are pretty slow paced.

quote:

That reminds me -- anyone want to recommend more material like the Adventure Zone live shows?

Sounds like you want some one shots- critical role has some good ones on YouTube (search for critical role one shots). The recent call of Cthulhu one was pretty good, as was last year's Christmas special.

Just more generally many one shots tend to be more plot driven and less relevant that you are invested in the characters.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Question for the systems experts. What's your best bet for just being a tanky rear end unkillable mf'er? AC as high as possible, high HP, good saves, resistances (potentially) etc.. My basic thought is a Hill Dwarf Paladin, Moon Druid, or Barbarian (Totem), and just jacking Con + Cha/Wis/Dex, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of Dex/caster option (Bladesinger with a 1-2 level fighter dip?) where having a monstrous AC might compensate for losing the save bonuses from being a Paladin, sack of HP from Moon Druid, or resistance from being a Barb. Also I'm not sure if a EK might be a viable option here (like the BS/fighter mentioned earlier) and just leaning into Absorb Elements and Shield for when base defenses aren't enough.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What are the most watchable D&D streams that I don't know about?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What are the ones you do know about?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also it varies. And is dependant on you. And what you want

I love the roll20 presents crew on Monday and Wed. Avernus and Jace Beleren Must Die,.

It's a game style and tone that's probably not for everyone. But they are fun to listen to.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Marathanes posted:

Question for the systems experts. What's your best bet for just being a tanky rear end unkillable mf'er? AC as high as possible, high HP, good saves, resistances (potentially) etc.. My basic thought is a Hill Dwarf Paladin, Moon Druid, or Barbarian (Totem), and just jacking Con + Cha/Wis/Dex, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of Dex/caster option (Bladesinger with a 1-2 level fighter dip?) where having a monstrous AC might compensate for losing the save bonuses from being a Paladin, sack of HP from Moon Druid, or resistance from being a Barb. Also I'm not sure if a EK might be a viable option here (like the BS/fighter mentioned earlier) and just leaning into Absorb Elements and Shield for when base defenses aren't enough.

A medium to high level Long Death Monk is probably just about impossible to kill. Excellent 16-20+ AC that is difficult to reduce, fairly decent HP, great saves to all abilities as well as rare threats like aging or disease. Sky high mobility, evasion traits, and defensive stuns. Plus Long Death not only gives you temp healing and at will frightens effects, but it allows you to spend 1 Ki to simply avoid being reduced to 0 hit points. The capstone offers an absurd 40d10 attack to allow a high level Monk to simply kill villains that are somehow hacking through all that defensive material.

Monks aren't great in a lot of ways, but actually killing one is not easy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Marathanes posted:

It varies. Very early on the tankiest character is a VHuman Fighter or Paladin with Heavy Armor Master, while endgame an Onion Druid just can't be killed by anything less than grossly overwhelming power.

For in-between you have

Hexadin (stacking heavy armor + shield AC, Shield, full CHA Aura of Protection, War Caster + Resilient CON)
Long Death Monk (Master of Death + Diamond Soul)
Zealot Barbarian (Rage beyond Death + Persistent Rage)
Wizard (Shield, Absorb Elements, bladesinger for high base AC, a bound Elemental or Demon buddy, transfer your soul into a stronger body to have truly outrageous HP and stats, a full spell list of get out of jail cards, etc etc)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TheDemon posted:

Not watchable, but the most listenable by a mile is Not Another D&D Podcast because it's funny as poo poo, has a fabulous DM, and is edited such that you don't have to listen to them bog down in the rules very much. Although the rules are more of a suggestion in that campaign since the players are endlessly testing the boundaries (and DMs patience)

e: It's especially good for listening because afaik they do every encounter in the theater of the mind, so no need to try and envision the grid/map

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 10, 2019

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

TheDemon posted:

Dragon Friends have been an Australian D&D podcast for a few years now, DM'd by a fellow goon, and have started streaming a parallel campaign on twitch with a few episodes on the official D&D channel

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Syrinxx posted:

Not watchable, but the most listenable by a mile is Not Another D&D Podcast because it's funny as poo poo, has a fabulous DM, and is edited such that you don't have to listen to them bog down in the rules very much. Although the rules are more of a suggestion in that campaign since the players are endlessly testing the boundaries (and DMs patience)

e: It's especially good for listening because afaik they do every encounter in the theater of the mind, so no need to try and envision the grid/map

Dimension 20 is a good one, most of it is in dropout behind a paywall, but there is the whole season of fantasy high on YouTube now, plus some episodes of the other seasons as a taster.

I haven't gone for a dropout subscription yet, but it tempts me...

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well I worked on a Peerless Fighter class as an alternate Fighter last night, still need to maybe make a few more Archetypes as I only have three so far.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TheDemon posted:

I always have to recommend Perception Studio (https://www.twitch.tv/perceptionstudio), run by a bunch of former Disney puppeteers. The humans have one campaign on Tuesday nights, but Wednesday is when the puppets Felted Friends are the PCs.

(Don't watch the Wednesday night shows for significant plot development, it's just crazy.)

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Looking at orcs now and most of the homebrew stuff was basically just making the orc into a level 1 barbarian. Not a fan of that. I wanted a berserker who uses a greataxe, if he misses, he hits his ally (if within 5 squares) instead for the damage(maybe another AC roll for this). I thought this might be a bit over the top and silly, but I also want to make sure that my orcs have some flavor and do silly things. Is that a good approach or is there a better way to achieve the same result? This way I hope they can find orcs interesting once they reach level 2-3 as well.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Midig posted:

Looking at orcs now and most of the homebrew stuff was basically just making the orc into a level 1 barbarian. Not a fan of that. I wanted a berserker who uses a greataxe, if he misses, he hits his ally (if within 5 squares) instead for the damage(maybe another AC roll for this). I thought this might be a bit over the top and silly, but I also want to make sure that my orcs have some flavor and do silly things. Is that a good approach or is there a better way to achieve the same result? This way I hope they can find orcs interesting once they reach level 2-3 as well.

Over the top is really the best way to go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Midig posted:

WFRP3E orcs best orcs. The biggest ones would throw smaller, lesser orcs at you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nash posted:

He is all about the martial arts flavor of the monk. We multiple times have told him how the bonus action martial arts works and he says he understands but doesn’t use it at all. Just hits for a few damage points each turn and that’s it.

Oh, and he is a four elements monk.
Why don't you just flavor their weapon as being unarmed, just have the main hand fists do 1d6 and the offhand/bonus do 1d4? If the guy wants to play flavor and you're worried about him keeping up or being overshadowed just fudge the rules. Combine them into one thematic strike, whatever his concept is, just fit the rules to it. If you're annoyed enough to post you should really talk to your DM, because it sounds like neither of you are having as good a time as you could be

Forcing monks to use a weapon until L5 parity is dumb and this is the hill i'll die on. Same with requiring str for grapple, i'm playing a dex-grapple monk and it's the best thing, not as OP as you'd think on the surface, just makes combat more fun and gives you more monk options than basic attacks and stunning strikes

unrelated: I am stealing so much dwarf culture from the last 2 pages

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Bhodi posted:

Why don't you just flavor their weapon as being unarmed, just have the main hand fists do 1d6 and the offhand/bonus do 1d4? If the guy wants to play flavor and you're worried about him keeping up or being overshadowed just fudge the rules. Combine them into one thematic strike, whatever his concept is, just fit the rules to it. If you're annoyed enough to post you should really talk to your DM, because it sounds like neither of you are having as good a time as you could be

Forcing monks to use a weapon until L5 parity is dumb and this is the hill i'll die on. Same with requiring str for grapple, i'm playing a dex-grapple monk and it's the best thing, not as OP as you'd think on the surface, just makes combat more fun and gives you more monk options than basic attacks and stunning strikes

unrelated: I am stealing so much dwarf culture from the last 2 pages

Or how about taking stat blocks for the standard monk weapons and giving them fist weapon flavor.

A club can be a tonfa, brass knuckles or simply hardened leather hand wraps. A dagger can be spiked knuckles or a punch dagger. A short sword a qatar.