Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Koirhor posted:

Regardless how any of us may feel I think this is what happened the way the cards are presented are basically a personal attack on TN, whether or not any of us feel that’s justified I don’t think Wotc wants to be in the position of allowing attacks on others in any form let alone someone who does work for them.

Then Nielsen shouldn't work for them anymore.

Look, I get it, she's a great artist. I got a print of Descendant's Path years ago, before all this went down, and it used to hang in my store. It sucks when talented people do bad stuff.

But there are more talented people. There are endless great artists who don't work on Magic cards, and plenty who do. They didn't have to keep commissioning her.

Instead they did, just like they didn't fire Mearls, an utterly replaceable spineless designer. Loyalty to your people, fear of confrontation, lack of actual commitment, hoping not enough people notice - the reasons don't matter much (though I'll admit speculating is interesting). When they do this, though, they leave themselves open to finding themselves in situations like this. There aren't any kind words for raising someone's profile for the sake of representation, but wanting them to remain silent about your bad behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I pointed it out in Autumn's twitter replies, but if anyone's not familiar with the whole Mike Mearls/Zak S & Pundit situation, you owe it to yourself to read through these two pages in order: https://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/20/18232181/dungeons-dragons-zak-smith-sabbath-abuse-accusations-players-handbook

Note the timing. It took 5 years for Wizards to kick out a transphobic harasser who was a consultant for D&D, and they only did it after it came to light that he was a serial rapist. They still have the designer that hired that consultant (and the other alt-right Nazi one) on staff. As a company, they are extremely protective of their employees and contractors, even when there's proof that those people are horrible, terrible fuckers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

I pointed it out in Autumn's twitter replies, but if anyone's not familiar with the whole Mike Mearls/Zak S & Pundit situation, you owe it to yourself to read through these two pages in order: https://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/20/18232181/dungeons-dragons-zak-smith-sabbath-abuse-accusations-players-handbook

Note the timing. It took 5 years for Wizards to kick out a transphobic harasser who was a consultant for D&D, and they only did it after it came to light that he was a serial rapist. They still have the designer that hired that consultant (and the other alt-right Nazi one) on staff. As a company, they are extremely protective of their employees and contractors, even when there's proof that those people are horrible, terrible fuckers.

in case those articles that im too lazy to read dont mentin it mike mearls solicited complaints about zak s, who poo poo his pants at chik-fil-a during gencon, and then forwarded the complaints complete with emails and names to the man accused of harassing people

absolute loving shithead company

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
NuWolf did something similar, asking people for receipts and then making a public statement of "Oh, well all of these are lies, Zak says so."

Thankfully the people who made those decisions have been publically dumpstered but oWoD still stinks like they do.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Okay fine let anyone can put whatever they want on their cards let’s see where that goes. I am not a fan of TN’s politics and I flip off blue line bumper sticker people in traffic but whatever.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Are the lists public? I wanna see that Ensoul pile

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Koirhor posted:

Okay fine let anyone can put whatever they want on their cards let’s see where that goes. I am not a fan of TN’s politics and I flip off blue line bumper sticker people in traffic but whatever.

Shockingly there are options other than letting people put nothing on their cards, and letting them put anything they want on their cards.

We've been enforcing "only put good or neutral things on your cards" for years, in fact!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Topics in the thread today, summarized into one image:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well maybe I’m just a idiot then and I’ll reflect on that while I exit the conversation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sickening posted:

Saying trans rights are humans rights are not an attack of any kind. Jesus loving Christ you chuds.
They're talking about her name being crossed out, not the messages.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

this covers the name so it is not a legal alter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koirhor posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No Wave posted:

They're talking about her name being crossed out, not the messages.

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arivia posted:

this covers the name so it is not a legal alter

Oko, Thief of Clowns

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oko, Thief of Formats

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

meanolmrcloud posted:

I think he’s saying that the best possible outcome is that Nielsen realizes her position is stupid and becomes an ally/advocate, and that’s what we should want for her and all other people who are currently driven by fear and backwards mindsets.
If they are given a chance and refuse, or publicly and repeatedly advocate against trans rights then yea, gently caress them bigtimes. She seems like a typical brainpoisoned boomer tho, so it looks pretty grim.

Basically this, with the caveat that the worse your bona fides are, the more work you need to do to claw them back. Like, I would count a mealymouthed non-apology, or something that sounds like your lawyer wrote some boilerplate to try and save your career, the same as an outright refusal, in the sense that it doesn't demonstrate any sincere metanoia on your part.

In any case, in the counterfactual where Nielsen weren't a bad person in the ways that we know she is (or at least has been), statements about TERFs or about trans rights being human rights would have nothing to do with her, and putting them on her lands would be simply a weird non sequitur. There is no potential timeline in which these statements constitute a callout of Terese Nielsen but she doesn't deserve to be called out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
what has nielsen ever said about trans people? I'm out of the loop.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
For gaming bags, I recommend checking out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores to see what sort of packs and bags they have available and if any of those will suit your needs, as you will pay multiple orders of magnitude less there than you would for a new one and they sometimes have some real treasures lurking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

what has nielsen ever said about trans people? I'm out of the loop.

AFAIK nothing specifically but she's been on the stump for Trump and that's enough

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This alter owns though.

Edit: Derails are obnoxious and at the end of the day this is just words on the internet but honestly it matters that cishet people aggressively push back against chud poo poo and wishy-washy "everyone is entitled to their opinion" stuff because otherwise things will never change and the loving bigots/TERFs/whoever get to keep on punishing whoever they think isn't "normal". If TN gets offended and won't do anymore cards who loving cares, the game is better off without her and any other TERF, bigot, misogynist, etc.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 9, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I looked up Harold McNeill's art to see if any of the cards were still legal in any format that's likely to be a Mythic Championship, and it turns out Fog is legal in Pioneer/Modern.

If we do get an MC in one of those formats, someone needs to play Turbo-Fog with McNeill's fogs defaced with anti-racist messages.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

I looked up Harold McNeill's art to see if any of the cards were still legal in any format that's likely to be a Mythic Championship, and it turns out Fog is legal in Pioneer/Modern.

If we do get an MC in one of those formats, someone needs to play Turbo-Fog with McNeill's fogs defaced with anti-racist messages.

GOOD NIGHT WHITE PRIDE

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Oko, Thief of Formats

Oko, the greatest thief in the multiverse

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Are the lists public? I wanna see that Ensoul pile

Not yet.

But there are lots of UR ensoul lists out there. Unless you meant something else.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

what the gently caress pioneer

To be fair, I had plenty of similar draws when Mono Green Devotion was Standard legal(I just didnt have Nissa as the pay off. Would have been Garruk or Polukranos or Genesis Hydra or something else). And I mean, look at that hand if the opponent had a kill spell for the dork, Todd's doing nothing otherwise.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Man, food is an oppressive mechanic. Ways to create food tokens all the time are pretty brutal.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Remember Theros when we learned that randomly tacking incidental life gain onto a bunch of things was bad and led to bad game play? Me neither.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this oko card seems pretty okay, I'm sure it has a long future

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I wonder why the mc is subscriber chat only. :iiam:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

Lmao I know what I have to do, what's their twitch

(I get a free sub every month with prime)

Edit

Countdown toll I get muted or banned

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
They have autumn as the featured match and they're playing the trans rights lands.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sickening posted:

Is it not usually?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oceanbound posted:

They have autumn as the featured match and they're playing the trans rights lands.

https://twitter.com/AutumnLilyMTG/status/1193235842363482112

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oceanbound posted:

Nah, it's different lands. They made them swap out the Terese lands

And if you think that the only reason WotC pulled those lands was her name being scratched out you're high as balls, this is absolutely them trying to save face

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

How does Autumn feel about the outcome? (Beyond obviously accepting the terms as far as they go.)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

I think that's how SCG and WOTC are on all events now

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why do people have to inject their activism into absolutely everything? It's a card game. Let it be a card game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Why is X chat sub only? For the same reason SA has a paywall.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Human Crouton posted:

Why do people have to inject their activism into absolutely everything? It's a card game. Let it be a card game.

What would you say are good places to inject activism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Human Crouton posted:

It's about raising awareness and having a voice. I'd guess it's pretty hard to read the writing on the cards on stream given the shine off the sleeves and how far the camera is. Autumn is raising awareness that there are people who think people like them deserve no rights at all, but is using their chance to try and make people aware that them and people like them are actively fighting for their rights.

Bit like kaepernick and kneeling before nfl games. He had an audience of millions and it got people talking more about how minorities are poo poo on in the us. Autumn is using their audience of a few thousand turbonerds to raise awareness. These people you see on stream/on tv and are a fan of have serious rights issues in their lives outside of the thing you know them for and they're trying to make people who may not know become aware and talk about it.