Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
But, but... But what if i really am super random and wacky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People who say 'grok'.

Have you read Stranger in a Strange Land? I'm fairly certain you did not sleep with this programming concept. Please just say 'understand' instead

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

People who say 'grok'.

Have you read Stranger in a Strange Land? I'm fairly certain you did not sleep with this programming concept. Please just say 'understand' instead

Buddy,

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is a pet peeve or a first world problem, but I hate how Star Trek (of all things) has ruined me for computer issues.

Like, yes, I suppose I could use what little computer knowledge I have to suss out why svchost is gobbling up memory like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if I was to find that something I don't even use anymore*, or that it's just bog-standard poo poo like needing to actually restart the computer like I haven't done in ages.

But man, I really just wish I could say "computer, find what is causing the memory leak and close it".

* probably not, given that I know just enough about this stuff to cause poo poo to implode...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who have "being happy" as their ethical telos. Like reading books about being happy and hanging smilie face motivational stickers and posters in their house and poo poo, nothing is more depressing.

Evangelical cult people on the street also tend to use "do you know how to be happy?" as an opening line. Happiness is a manipulative concept and it's only pursued by vain, stupid people

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

People who say 'grok'.

they're saying "grok", not "this programming concept is my water buddy", so really I don't see the problem

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
the problem is grok is a stupid sounding word and the vast majority of people are going to need an explanation of what you're talking about every time you use it.

At least that "water buddy" example uses words that are all real even though they don't make that much sense when put together.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Edit: Wrong thread , sorry.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Nov 4, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have no idea what critical roll means or whether some people normally watch podcasts, but I'm quite partial to Superego (nice and short "sessions" as you put it), Comedy Bang Bang, and lately I've been listening to some Mission to Zyxx

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What the gently caress Chrome? How on earth could it possibly a user experience improvement to remove the "reopen closed tab" option from the right-click context menu?

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but this menu used to have a bunch more poo poo in it, right?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
1: Ctrl+shift+t will do that, but

2: I agree with you. Also, chrome and google are pretty bad in general.

https://twitter.com/drybones_5/status/1190694123965210625

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
amp is the loving worst

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We are in the sci fi future and it sucks.

Google has a constitution and the coral-themed pokemon has a new ghost type evolved form with eyes that perpetually cry.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

People who say 'grok'.

During the mid to late 2000's, some forums posters (not SA) were saying 'frak' as a way of getting past word censors and thinking they were being clever. At least that died quickly.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The worst part is that i am lazy enough that Google will dictate my life and own my bank account info before i even notice. And i am more plugged in than the average person. Yay hellscape 2020

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

People who post answers like this on amazon.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ugh, agreed. That manages to be both unhelpful and smug.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When I get bored I give dick-ish answers like that to the astrology questions those question-asking sites send me because they lump it in with astronomy. Nobody seems to appreciate my answers that the answer to their question is whatever makes them feel better because that's all astrology is, but it's not my fault i get spammed with these questions completely unrelated to my field.

which is a peeve. Multiple people asked me what I thought about some astrologer who died recently. that's not what I do damnit you're supposed to know me and what I do, we're family/close friends

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Thermos posted:

People who post answers like this on amazon.

It's people (mostly older folks) who get an email asking if they can answer the question that someone has submitted. They usually don't know that it posts to the actual product page, they think it's a personal question.

Content:
That the required amount of forewarning from the landlord for them to do something in my apartment is only 24 hours.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"What kind of battery does this use?"

"IT'S MADE IN CHINA gently caress YOU"

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
If you're not going to answer your phone, could you at least silence it so everyone doesn't have to listen to your obnoxious, too-loud ringtone go off incessantly for the next 30 seconds?

:bang:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate the word "partner" for relationships. "Partner" sounds transactional, like you're only in it because it happens to be mutually beneficial rather than out of love

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

"Inspirational" speeches that basically copy that stupid sunscreen thing everyone reads at graduations where they just start listing random things to be ~whimsical~ or whatever. Like: "Get a hobby. Bake an apple pie on a Thursday. Look at a bird. Start a cult. Shave a dog."

yes i'm aware those are things you can do how is this supposed to inspire me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

I hate the word "partner" for relationships. "Partner" sounds transactional, like you're only in it because it happens to be mutually beneficial rather than out of love

See I always thought of it as a couple of cowpokes on the dusty trail of life

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

I started doing it because I saw a lot of ":siren: your girlfriend :siren:" responses when someone mentioned their girlfriend. I don't like the term either, but it works. :shrug:.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I exclusively say partner because my boomer coworkers can't tell if I'm gay or not, which bothers them, which amuses me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Girlfriend feels weird because we've been together for years and have a kid, wife is wrong because we aren't married, so partner it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To really piss off the boomers just use something like bed-buddy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"this is the person I'm loving at the moment"

Bonus points if you can claim that literally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hate when machines talk to me. Self checkout is better than dealing with an actual human at the supermarket, but still annoying. I use the voice assistant on my phone sometimes, but I've got its voice turned off. I'm not blind, I can read the text off the screen. I just wanted to google something, not have it read to me. Why does everyone want machines that pretend to be people?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

"Why did this person leave the channel?"
"Well, X was making them uncomfortable due to casual racism and sexism"
"Well they should have said something!"
"Okay but we both know they're very unwell and stressed and maybe didn't want to deal with managing X's fragile man feelings"
"But!! I could have fixed it! And they're supposed to be good at community management! Why weren't they more civil and elegant" (actual loving words used)"

I don't know, admin for whom I am technically a mod except when you feel like pulling rank and pretending I have no authority, maybe they were hoping not to need to do their Actual Job in our friendly chat channel?

my other pet peeve is X who i really need to talk to about his casual racism and sexism but his feelings, they are so fragile, and I am so tired.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mycelia posted:

"Why did this person leave the channel?"
"Well, X was making them uncomfortable due to casual racism and sexism"
"Well they should have said something!"
"Okay but we both know they're very unwell and stressed and maybe didn't want to deal with managing X's fragile man feelings"
"But!! I could have fixed it! And they're supposed to be good at community management! Why weren't they more civil and elegant" (actual loving words used)"

I don't know, admin for whom I am technically a mod except when you feel like pulling rank and pretending I have no authority, maybe they were hoping not to need to do their Actual Job in our friendly chat channel?

my other pet peeve is X who i really need to talk to about his casual racism and sexism but his feelings, they are so fragile, and I am so tired.

Just break him, if he's that fragile. Drop him like a cheap vase.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Tiggum posted:

I'm not blind

maybe think about this for a second before complaining about features that allow accessibility for less abled people lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I hate when machines talk to me. Self checkout is better than dealing with an actual human at the supermarket, but still annoying. I use the voice assistant on my phone sometimes, but I've got its voice turned off. I'm not blind, I can read the text off the screen. I just wanted to google something, not have it read to me. Why does everyone want machines that pretend to be people?

I'll like self checkouts when they actually become self checkout, but as it is it's just "you scan your stuff while an employee hovers behind you waiting for one of the four machines to claim you didn't put the thing that you just put in the bag, in the bag".

I am not a fan of machines pretending to be people though, but I don't see the problem with text to speech. I'm more against the idea of trying to make "AI" that is similar to us. Robots should never be sentient, they should either be made to make our lives easier or not at all. You can avoid the problem of every android/robot movie ever where they revolt by just...programming them so they explicitly can't do that. If the robots prove me wrong and come for my head one day I will file a complaint with the manufacturer for letting it happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulex minor posted:

maybe think about this for a second before complaining about features that allow accessibility for less abled people lol

That's not what I'm complaining about though. My phone, straight out of the box, was not set up to be accessible for blind people. To be able to even set the phone up you needed to be able to see. But by default it has this voice that says stuff to you - not always, but under certain conditions. Self checkouts are not accessible to the blind. They require you to press buttons on the screen to use them. But they have a voice that just says dumb poo poo to you like "please take your items" when you're half way through doing exactly that. I have no problem with accessibility features - like the voice on the train/tram that tells you what stop is next for people who can't read the screen. Obviously that serves a purpose. Most talking machines actually still require vision to use.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Tiggum posted:

That's not what I'm complaining about though. My phone, straight out of the box, was not set up to be accessible for blind people. To be able to even set the phone up you needed to be able to see. But by default it has this voice that says stuff to you - not always, but under certain conditions. Self checkouts are not accessible to the blind. They require you to press buttons on the screen to use them. But they have a voice that just says dumb poo poo to you like "please take your items" when you're half way through doing exactly that. I have no problem with accessibility features - like the voice on the train/tram that tells you what stop is next for people who can't read the screen. Obviously that serves a purpose. Most talking machines actually still require vision to use.

ah, fair enough, your 'why would people want talking machines' just made me laugh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom and grandma use the talky features of their phones a lot because they have bad eyesight and shaky hands, even though they're capable of reading the screen and typing on it if they must. I assume the Olds market feeds into those features.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The self checkouts I see have everything labeled in braille, but there's no way to actually pay without selecting things from a touch screen. Why is there a touch screen? Why not just let people insert whatever they are using to pay?

And of course the voice on it is so loud that you have to drop whatever is in your hands and cover your ears whenever it talks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate machines trying to be chummy, I hate everything about modern computing and want PC's to be limited to prompt boxes with OK and CANCEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

The self checkouts I see have everything labeled in braille, but there's no way to actually pay without selecting things from a touch screen. Why is there a touch screen? Why not just let people insert whatever they are using to pay?

And of course the voice on it is so loud that you have to drop whatever is in your hands and cover your ears whenever it talks.

lmao why do self-checkouts in other countries talk