Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guyver posted:

Okay but we're not dealing with an undefined bulky object. It's two boxes on a pallet.

It's light enough that you could probably just grab the straps over your shoulder lean it on your back and walk it in the house.

You seem to be unaware of the litigious nature of Americans. There’s warning signs on my two step stepladder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

oohhboy posted:

Eh??? Why would some third party get mad about someone announcing what equipment the baby has? It has nothing to do with you. Making a party of it is increasingly dumb, but when did "It's a boy/girl!" become bigotry? loving hell America.

conservatives are fragile reactionary snowflakes, film at 11.

no but seriously they've got it so loving turned around they think they're being iconoclastic by perpetuating racism, which is basically the first thing America actually invented. they're stuck in a preschool mindset where being told to get along with their classmates sends them into a poo poo-flinging tantrum.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

racism, which is basically the first thing America actually invented.

I think that Racism was around since long before 'murica popularized it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
there's actually a decent argument to be made that a novel form of it developed in antebellum America in order to prevent a unified black-white lower class from rising up and bodily devouring the plantation owners.

Howard Zinn makes that argument, at least. Especially the role Christianity played in establishing race-class distinction. European has always been fairly racially cosmopolitain, because they're all horny, baby, and they want to shag.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wesleywillis posted:

I think that Racism was around since long before 'murica popularized it.

Sort of, but it didn't really take off until white people needed a reason to justify why they could own black people.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guyver posted:

Okay but we're not dealing with an undefined bulky object. It's two boxes on a pallet.

It's light enough that you could probably just grab the straps over your shoulder lean it on your back and walk it in the house.

If there's no fragile stickers on it just kick the fucker out the back of the truck has been operational procedure for every company I've worked for.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there's actually a decent argument to be made that a novel form of it developed in antebellum America in order to prevent a unified black-white lower class from rising up and bodily devouring the plantation owners.

Howard Zinn makes that argument, at least. Especially the role Christianity played in establishing race-class distinction. European has always been fairly racially cosmopolitain, because they're all horny, baby, and they want to shag.

Osha?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well, slavery was pretty Osha I'll wager.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burt Sexual posted:

You seem to be unaware of the litigious nature of Americans. There’s warning signs on my two step stepladder

Americans aren’t overly litigious.

That’s a myth promulgated by the monied interests that want so-called tort reform so they can injure workers and the general public through negligence and face no penalties for it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

More the colonial Americas in general, the Spanish Casta system was absurdly convoluted system of racial classification that even divided "pure blood" Spaniards born in the Americas from Spaniards born in Spain.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I'd suggest the Revolutions podcast episodes about the Haitian revolution, the first few episodes go into the background of things and the equipment for sugar manufacturing might as well have been designed to intentionally mangle the slaves operating it. Like imagine one of those hosed up wood chopping machines but even worse.

Or check out this guy's book.
https://afroculinaria.com/2019/08/09/dear-disgruntled-white-plantation-visitors-sit-down/

quote:

My personal favorite was when I spilled some of the contents of a heavy pot of water as the light was dying and you all laughed and one of you said…and I could hear you…”This boy doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“Boy.”

I was exhausted. I had been cooking over an open hearth for 7 hours. One enslaved cook in Martinique was thrown alive into an oven for burning a cake. How do we know? His mistress calmly showed his charred remains to her guest after the meal. Spilling or burning food could have meant my rear end.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/T9J5po5.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

* channels my inner octogenarian from the "ITT we are octegenarians" (sic) thread.

"well them coloureds in Haiti were only overthrowing the French. Not like thats hard"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently this was the gender reveal plane. Maybe you could fit another person in there.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently this was the gender reveal plane. Maybe you could fit another person in there.

Is "dead" a gender?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

No, that's just a random picture of a crashed airplane that the New York Post googled to stick with the article because they're a bunch of hacks. That looks like a Cessna 182 or similar that has been rotting in a swamp for years.

This is the incident airplane, an Air Tractor AT-602

This is what it originally looked like

not much room inside for two people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Grey Lady has a better photograph:

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Platystemon posted:

you idiot that pink water was your avgas

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a very wet possum posted:

no, that's blue. (seriously)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

And yet even they don't know what a "stall" means when talking about airplanes. The NTSB report even says "aerodynamic stall" ffs

shame on an IGA posted:

no, that's blue. (seriously)

:eng101: there are purple and red grades of avgas, but I've never seen them

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 10, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

a very wet possum posted:

dump sterno on the crowd and then drop flares for the finale.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sagebrush posted:

:eng101: there are purple and red grades of avgas, but I've never seen them

Blue avgas if it's a boy.
Pink avgas if it's a girl.
Purple avgas if it's a dinosaur.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

dump sterno on the crowd and then drop flares for the finale.

Ok everyone, apply your celebration jelly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

Americans aren’t overly litigious.

That’s a myth promulgated by the monied interests that want so-called tort reform so they can injure workers and the general public through negligence and face no penalties for it.

Yeah, see the way Stella Liebeck was dragged through the mud on commercial media for the McDonald's coffee lawsuit

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I used to work on a H&S board for a multi-billion dollar US company which owns a lot of factories with exposed spinning metal parts that were built in the 90's and my NDA just expired so...

All accidents were reported. There was one woman who every month, without fail, fell over her chair and reported it as an accident.

You'd think it would be common sense not to stick your hand inside this, but at least once a quarter someone did

At one point there were multiple outstanding lawsuits for genital/roller related injury. Although it went to legal I believe 'don't put ur balls near the giant 400rpm spinning rollers' was part of employee induction so we were apparently covered.

One building (that I knew of) had a fire rating of 'everyone is going to die if there is ever a fire, without exception'

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

cynic posted:

All accidents were reported. There was one woman who every month, without fail, fell over her chair and reported it as an accident.

Finally, a valid reason to get someone a beanbag chair.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

The French did some accounting to figure out if it was cheaper to get mosquito nets to reduce the number of slave deaths from malaria or to just keep importing slaves. They decided that importing slaves was cheaper. There are a number of proto-cost/benefits analysis for safety stuff for slaves. Just about all of them decided replacing slaves was cheaper than safer working environments.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thomamelas posted:

The French did some accounting to figure out if it was cheaper to get mosquito nets to reduce the number of slave deaths from malaria or to just keep importing slaves. They decided that importing slaves was cheaper. There are a number of proto-cost/benefits analysis for safety stuff for slaves. Just about all of them decided replacing slaves was cheaper than safer working environments.

For much more on this:

quote:

“Slavery in the United States was a business. A morally reprehensible―and very profitable business. Much of the research around the business history of slavery focuses on the horrors of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the business interests that fueled it. The common narrative is that today’s modern management techniques were developed in the factories in England and the industrialized North of the United States, not the plantations of the Caribbean and the American South. According to a new book by historian Caitlin Rosenthal, that narrative is wrong… Rosenthal argues that slaveholders in the American South and Caribbean were using advanced management and accounting techniques long before their northern counterparts. Techniques that are still used by businesses today.”―Marketplace
https://www.amazon.com/Accounting-Slavery-Management-Caitlin-Rosenthal-ebook/dp/B07DGJPVLL

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/CrimeADay/status/1193346701358227456

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/oMxgXTg.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

And yet even they don't know what a "stall" means when talking about airplanes. The NTSB report even says "aerodynamic stall" ffs

expecting Merican news orgs to understand flying machines is asking a lot.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Well I guess your parents are off to jail then

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Phanatic posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentyrone/status/1192053227061207040

Everyone involved in that decision should be in prison.

Would be quite ironic if the system was based on YOLO, which I frequently see do dumb poo poo like this while trying to guess at complex situations..

https://pjreddie.com/darknet/yolo/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Too big for what?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Looks like they've already recovered the construction at the NOLA Hard Rock.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

hellotoothpaste posted:

Would be quite ironic if the system was based on YOLO, which I frequently see do dumb poo poo like this while trying to guess at complex situations..

https://pjreddie.com/darknet/yolo/

The article I read had a little more detail--it re-categorized the victim several times, but even after a re-categorization, it was still detecting an object in the road that it may have to brake for. The real issue wasn't 'didn't see a pedestrian because it wasn't in the crosswalk' (although if it was able to recognize a pedestrian outside of a crosswalk, maybe it wouldn't've gotten confused at what it was seeing), it was because every time it re-categorized her, it threw out its prior motion data, so the system literally didn't recognize that she was moving across its path. Every time the system changed what it thought it saw, she had a known starting speed of 0. It detected her as a bicycle several times, but the system still would have braked for a bicycle moving across its path at any point in a roadway, but the re-categorizations just meant it had near-static snapshots of a variety of obstacles that didn't have a vector that crossed the car's.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

The article I read had a little more detail--it re-categorized the victim several times, but even after a re-categorization, it was still detecting an object in the road that it may have to brake for. The real issue wasn't 'didn't see a pedestrian because it wasn't in the crosswalk' (although if it was able to recognize a pedestrian outside of a crosswalk, maybe it wouldn't've gotten confused at what it was seeing), it was because every time it re-categorized her, it threw out its prior motion data, so the system literally didn't recognize that she was moving across its path. Every time the system changed what it thought it saw, she had a known starting speed of 0. It detected her as a bicycle several times, but the system still would have braked for a bicycle moving across its path at any point in a roadway, but the re-categorizations just meant it had near-static snapshots of a variety of obstacles that didn't have a vector that crossed the car's.
lmao that's criminally incompetent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao that's criminally incompetent.

So are many other aspects of their software.

It’s fractally criminal.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

And someone mentioned that Uber got acquitted, right? :psyduck:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HardDiskD posted:

And someone mentioned that Uber got acquitted, right? :psyduck:

If the code isn’t fit, you must acquit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU