Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi I want a laptop to play wow classic on at work. Someone told me something something G15 but that sounds like a corporate jet. I would appreciate any suggestions, I am a very simple boy.

Wow classic runs on basically loving anything lol, I play it dual boxed with settings adjusted on a 13 inch Dell on integrated (e: uhd 620), runs ok at 1080p on same with framerate capped reasonably

If you're looking for a high fidelity 15 year old MMO experience maybe get something with an mx250 or whatever

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Should the Iris G4/G7 graphics chips on the new 10th gen core processors be able to handle modern games at low settings?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

? People , including kids , use computers for different things. Is this rec tongue in cheek or do you work for toys r us

I'll second this sentiment. I had a couple of ancient Toshiba Satellites (386!) when I was around that age (for schoolwork, and pre-home Internet connection) and there's nothing inherently wrong with getting a PC for an adolescent. I can understand the concern about it getting dropped and broken, so either tell the kid it's his responsibility to repair/replace it if he breaks it or just get a desktop.

Rock My Socks! posted:

Should the Iris G4/G7 graphics chips on the new 10th gen core processors be able to handle modern games at low settings?

Yes, and as long as you're willing to play around with the resolution and/or 3D scaler you should be able to play many modern games at low graphical fidelity. You can just search for "[game] benchmark [iGPU]" to see actual results for specific games.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rock My Socks! posted:

I presently have a Surface Pro 7 with an i7-1065G7 in it for a little bit longer at least. If there are any readily-available benches you'd like me to drum up for you, I can.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

This seems like a pretty good deal on an entry-level gaming laptop. $580 for a 1650 4 GB and 9300H, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe, 15" FHD. It appears to have a 2.5" bay based on the options for other models in that range. Definitely upgrade the RAM, and add an HDD for more games but the reasonably capacious SSD will hold you over for a while.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Eeeeeeeugh. ASUS's "TUF" line is.... well, let's just say that it has very bad connotations thanks to how crap the coolers are on their GPUs.

This is the "lowest cost above all other considerations" line. With GPUs, you can at least rip off everything and put Kraken G12 bracket to put an AIO on it, but for a laptop, you're making some serious sacrifices that can't be so easily remedied.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Those are generally the compromises that come with laptops, yes.

And also, you certainly tend to get what you pay for, but for some people even $500-600 is a lot of money to spend on a gaming system, so keep that in mind just because you might be able to afford upwards of $2k or whatever on a gaming laptop.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Atomizer posted:

Those are generally the compromises that come with laptops, yes.

While true, I have to second the caution about the TUF line: they've got a bad reputation and rock bottom prices for a reason. With Black Friday right around the corner, I'd say wait to see what else pops up, rather than saddle yourself with its compromises unless you for some reason need it right this minute. With 1660Ti laptops already under $1k, I wouldn't be surprised to see some drop down into the $750 range for BF, and some older 1060's into the $600 or lower range, which would be better options.

I have to say, though, I've been very pleased with the playability of games on my X1E with a 1650. Knowing the 1650 was weaker than a 1060 had me concerned, but so far it's been able to do pretty damned well at what I've thrown at it (FFXIV, Destiny 2, ESO).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

I have to say, though, I've been very pleased with the playability of games on my X1E with a 1650. Knowing the 1650 was weaker than a 1060 had me concerned, but so far it's been able to do pretty damned well at what I've thrown at it (FFXIV, Destiny 2, ESO).

The numbering for graphics cards is so annoying. I get what they’re doing, it’s basically the generation and low/medium/high end, but it still feels kind of needlessly complicated. Like, the 1080 is better than the 2060 for most things but it’s not like a layman is going to figure that out looking at tech specs.

And then the 2080 max-q is worse than the 1080ti, just because let’s make it more confusing for people.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 10, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don't think most lay people would be comparing a 1080 and 2060 in the first place, either tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

I don't think most lay people would be comparing a 1080 and 2060 in the first place, either tbh

I mean, you’re not wrong, that’s just the first big discrepancy that came to mind.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I’m looking for a new general work/playing total war while pretending to work laptop. Have had a MacBook of various kinds for about ten years and feel totally lost when it comes to normal laptops. Looking to spend somewhere around 800 pounds. Any recommendations?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The numbering for graphics cards is so annoying. I get what they’re doing, it’s basically the generation and low/medium/high end, but it still feels kind of needlessly complicated.

True, but Joe Public isn't going to compare cards across generations in the first place. They're going to decide their current card is too slow, look at how much they're comfortable spending, and buy the current gen card they can afford.

If they care more than that and do want to compare (either to score a better deal on a last gen card or ensure that the upgrade from their current card is worthwhile), there are tons of sites that will trivially answer those questions.

The real numbering debacle is when you have stupid poo poo like the 1060 3GB vs 6GB being substantially different despite sharing the same base number.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lenoon posted:

I’m looking for a new general work/playing total war while pretending to work laptop. Have had a MacBook of various kinds for about ten years and feel totally lost when it comes to normal laptops. Looking to spend somewhere around 800 pounds. Any recommendations?

I don't know UK pricing, but spec-wise you probably want something with a 1060/1660ti, a 6c/12t CPU like the i7-9750h, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD to start with.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DrDork posted:

While true, I have to second the caution about the TUF line: they've got a bad reputation and rock bottom prices for a reason. With Black Friday right around the corner, I'd say wait to see what else pops up, rather than saddle yourself with its compromises unless you for some reason need it right this minute. With 1660Ti laptops already under $1k, I wouldn't be surprised to see some drop down into the $750 range for BF, and some older 1060's into the $600 or lower range, which would be better options.

Oh, I'd totally recommend aiming for one of the true, solid mid-range (e.g. 1060+) options at under $1k, but again, if someone has a restrictive budget and/or insists on buying new, I've just presented a decent[ly spec'd] option. I haven't seen anything along the lines of $500 1050 Ti systems (e.g. Acer Nitro) unless I just haven't been looking (e.g. on eBay, although those were generally refurbs.)

I have to repeat, you often get what you pay for, and if someone can only afford ~$500, there should be an expectation of compromises. It's one thing to say the Asus TUF line is questionable, and I've never had one so I'll take that at face value, but unless you have an alternative right now, that's what's out there. I do agree that waiting for the holiday sales may yield a similar or better option, but in my experience gaming laptop sales are generally on specific models so you'd have to take what you can get. For example the 1st-gen Acer Helios 300 went down to $900 from the usual $1-1.1k, which is an even better deal, but if you didn't like that model then it's not like you could apply the discount to some other model you wanted that wasn't already on sale. (The 1st-gen version seemed solid and my brother's still works perfectly, but I'm aware that there are some potential reliability issues with the current 3rd or 4th gen version.)

The numbering for graphics cards is so annoying. I get what they’re doing, it’s basically the generation and low/medium/high end, but it still feels kind of needlessly complicated. Like, the 1080 is better than the 2060 for most things but it’s not like a layman is going to figure that out looking at tech specs.

And then the 2080 max-q is worse than the 1080ti, just because let’s make it more confusing for people.

It gets even worse, with not just base, Ti, and MaxQ, because now we have the loving "Super" cards thrown into the mix, to say nothing of the VRAM variants (e.g. 1050 2 vs 4 GB,) regional variants (e.g. the 1060 5 GB,) and cut down (e.g. 1060 3 GB) or ambiguously spec'd (i.e. with variable TDPs, like the MX150/1030.)

DrDork posted:

The real numbering debacle is when you have stupid poo poo like the 1060 3GB vs 6GB being substantially different despite sharing the same base number.

And as above, it's even worse than that with 3 different 1060 VRAM configurations and the 1050/Ti 2/4 GB bullshit. There are apparently 7 different 1060 variants alone, and that's not counting the mobile parts! :suicide:

Don't get me started on all the Titan poo poo....

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't know UK pricing, but spec-wise you probably want something with a 1060/1660ti, a 6c/12t CPU like the i7-9750h, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD to start with.

Is the new Total War an insane resource hog or something? That seems like absurd overkill for a turn-based strategy game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is the new Total War an insane resource hog or something? That seems like absurd overkill for a turn-based strategy game.

You know it does have a 3D tactical part of the game which can have thousands of soldiers onscreen.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i3---1080p.product.100511171.html

Got this today, pretty good deal I think? The ad indicates that it has an i3-1005G1 but apparently Intel is having supply chain issues with the new i3’s so they actually threw in an i5-1035G4.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i3---1080p.product.100511171.html

Got this today, pretty good deal I think? The ad indicates that it has an i3-1005G1 but apparently Intel is having supply chain issues with the new i3’s so they actually threw in an i5-1035G4.

It’s a really good deal. Per Slickdeals:

1080p IPS screen that supports HDR.
Windows precision touchpad, not synaptics garbage.
Upgraded CPU.
Single 4gb chip with empty slots to upgrade to 8gb. No soldered ram.
Has a 128gb SATA M.2 drive but NVMe drives work as an upgrade as well.
Can install a 2.5” HDD if you order sata cable.

Good job.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, it's very demanding, especially CPU-wise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

Oh, I'd totally recommend aiming for one of the true, solid mid-range (e.g. 1060+) options at under $1k, but again, if someone has a restrictive budget and/or insists on buying new, I've just presented a decent[ly spec'd] option. I haven't seen anything along the lines of $500 1050 Ti systems (e.g. Acer Nitro) unless I just haven't been looking (e.g. on eBay, although those were generally refurbs.)

I have to repeat, you often get what you pay for, and if someone can only afford ~$500, there should be an expectation of compromises. It's one thing to say the Asus TUF line is questionable, and I've never had one so I'll take that at face value, but unless you have an alternative right now, that's what's out there. I do agree that waiting for the holiday sales may yield a similar or better option, but in my experience gaming laptop sales are generally on specific models so you'd have to take what you can get. For example the 1st-gen Acer Helios 300 went down to $900 from the usual $1-1.1k, which is an even better deal, but if you didn't like that model then it's not like you could apply the discount to some other model you wanted that wasn't already on sale. (The 1st-gen version seemed solid and my brother's still works perfectly, but I'm aware that there are some potential reliability issues with the current 3rd or 4th gen version.)

I got a 1050ti Dell G3 back in February for 500 bucks when they did the president’s day sale, so getting something in that range is pretty doable. It sure was a laptop. It played most stuff on low/medium and I was fine with it until I grabbed something in the 1100 dollar range this summer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

etalian posted:

You know it does have a 3D tactical part of the game which can have thousands of soldiers onscreen.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's very demanding, especially CPU-wise.

Was going to post this. The 3D combat elements will impact the GPU, but this is one of those types of games where CPU performance is important because the game is processing hundreds (or more) of individual unit AIs.

I got a 1050ti Dell G3 back in February for 500 bucks when they did the president’s day sale, so getting something in that range is pretty doable. It sure was a laptop. It played most stuff on low/medium and I was fine with it until I grabbed something in the 1100 dollar range this summer.

That's correct, I saw those types of deals up through around the middle of the year, but less so recently. I'm pretty sure they were clearing old stock. I still do see "super cheap 1050/1060/1070 laptop" at Walmart in the deals threads I frequent but it's always the thing where Brickseek says they have like 1 or 2 in stock and it's usually the floor model if even that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you can deal with it being from Lenovo and sold by Walmart, this laptop at $1049 is "you would be hard pressed to build a complete desktop (including monitor and peripherals into the equation) with the same specs for the same price"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laptop-S...hics-/425559304

i7-9750H 6-core
15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS Anti-Glare display
16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
512GB 2280 m.2 NVMe Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 12, 2019

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I really want the Costco $1299 XPS 13 2-in-1. 16GB / 512SSD. It’s soooooooo cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DNK posted:

I really want the Costco $1299 XPS 13 2-in-1. 16GB / 512SSD. It’s soooooooo cool.

Is that a black Friday deal? That config was $1699 in store when I was there yesterday.

drat it's a nice machine.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah, Black Friday / Nov 28th deal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've got a new Thinkpad P1 Gen 2, and I'm looking at the proprietary "mini ethernet" adapter, which is anywhere from $25-40 and also there's more than one plug style for some reason, so hopefully I order the right one! Why should I even consider this over a less expensive USB ethernet adapter? I don't need any esoteric ethernet functions beyond "connecting to a network," so I think a USB adapter would be just fine, besides tying up a port. Why couldn't they just make it another USB-C port instead?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I've got a new Thinkpad P1 Gen 2, and I'm looking at the proprietary "mini ethernet" adapter, which is anywhere from $25-40 and also there's more than one plug style for some reason, so hopefully I order the right one! Why should I even consider this over a less expensive USB ethernet adapter? I don't need any esoteric ethernet functions beyond "connecting to a network," so I think a USB adapter would be just fine, besides tying up a port. Why couldn't they just make it another USB-C port instead?

It uses an extra port. That's it, for normal-people uses.

There are some advantages to having it directly connected to the NIC, instead of going through USB 3 / Thunderbolt, but that only really comes into play if you're trying to share that port with several high-bandwidth devices. In practice, it rarely comes up.

I agree with you that it'd have been nicer for them to just add another USB port there instead and call it a day, but they didn't. Just buy a cheap USB hub w/ethernet and call it a day.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
My friends law firm is dumping their old laptops. They are selling these for 200 bucks. Dell Latitude E7450 14" Laptop, Intel Core i7 5600U 2.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 10 (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVJL7SX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_a-WYDb0GPJPW1

Is 200 as good a deal as I think or should I wait for Black Friday?

Would it run older games (l4d2 etc?) Or current indie games?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Crunkjuice posted:

My friends law firm is dumping their old laptops. They are selling these for 200 bucks. Dell Latitude E7450 14" Laptop, Intel Core i7 5600U 2.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 10 (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVJL7SX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_a-WYDb0GPJPW1

I deployed a few hundred of those some years back. Great machines. For two hundred Dollars that's a whole lot of bang for your buck.

It would probably run l4d2. Not much else that's released intl the last ten-fifteen years would be playable.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Rock My Socks! posted:

I've ordered this computer yesterday and it is delivering tomorrow, i do believe it is a good deal because of the i5 switch-a-roo and with the rest of the components will be easy to upgrade it will make a decent computer for looking at memes on reddit while watching tv.

I am a bit hesitant to open it right now until i can jump on a T480 deal on lenovo during the thanksgiving specials. i am fomo'ing hard by not having a thunderbolt connection. I have a dock that i use with my work's T470 that is connected to two 27 inch screens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The $1299 xps 13 2:1 from Costco is so loving tempting. I think i may actually get off the fence and pick that up and toss my GTX 1080 in to a Razer Core and call it a day.

I really don't need a mobile gaming rig as much as I like to tell myself I do since I have my Switch. The iGPU in the Ice Lake is more than sufficient to run a bunch of indy games if I should want anyways.

Looks like ice lake is being a tiny bit temperamental on an eGPU setup, but hopefully some intel driver updates will clear that up. That would also be one of the reasons why I would go with an Razer eGPU enclosure since they have an ice lake system in their lineup.

Just get the XPS 13 2:1 and sell off my XPS 15 9550 and my surface pro as well as retire my i5 3570K desktop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Source is a fairly old game engine and think most integrated GPUs handle it just fine even thought you might need to reduce settings like resolution.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I really don't need a mobile gaming rig as much as I like to tell myself I do since I have my Switch. The iGPU in the Ice Lake is more than sufficient to run a bunch of indy games if I should want anyways.

I used to love my Switch but ever since I got a proper gaming laptop I've only used it in dire circumstances. Most of the stuff that's not nintendo on the Switch is out for PC, and a proper PC can play anything a beefier console can AND plug into a TV or monitor. You lose playing games on the bus or at work, but a gaming laptop is one of my favorite buys in a long time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DrDork posted:

There are some advantages to having it directly connected to the NIC, instead of going through USB 3 / Thunderbolt, but that only really comes into play if you're trying to share that port with several high-bandwidth devices. In practice, it rarely comes up.

The reason that's there is for enterprise. If everyone is wiring in with dongles it turns into a management nightmare, since the dongle has its own MAC address. Therefore, if you allow that dongle on your network, anything it's plugged into can get in. Huge, obvious security hole. If the nic is built into the machine, it solves that problem, plus you can sell overpriced cable adapters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There's a coupon code for Alienware's mid range gaming laptop. The 550 dollars off means that it costs about as much as other mid-range gaming laptops. It's got a 1TB hybrid drive on top of the usual NVMe drives, but honestly I'd probably end up replacing that with an SSD anyway.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone seen reviews of the intel version of the 15 inch Surface laptop. Rumour has it that it gets much better battery life than the AMD version but costs £100 more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I used to love my Switch but ever since I got a proper gaming laptop I've only used it in dire circumstances. Most of the stuff that's not nintendo on the Switch is out for PC, and a proper PC can play anything a beefier console can AND plug into a TV or monitor. You lose playing games on the bus or at work, but a gaming laptop is one of my favorite buys in a long time.

I so rarely play PC games anymore and I'm not going to play them away from my desk at home. I already have GTX1080 which suits my needs when I get a bug up my rear end to play something.

Maybe I'll still pick up a MAG-15, but that XPS13 is so nice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I so rarely play PC games anymore and I'm not going to play them away from my desk at home. I already have GTX1080 which suits my needs when I get a bug up my rear end to play something.

Maybe I'll still pick up a MAG-15, but that XPS13 is so nice.

If you're not going to game on the go with it, the MAG-15 really has no reason to exist. The XPS 13 is better in basically every respect in terms of being a laptop except the ability to play games, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lenovo Ideapad 330S for $330. Ryzen 2500U, which is 4C8T but with Ryzen 8, so for very light gaming it should be between an Intel iGPU and a low-end nVidia dGPU like the MX150. 8 GB RAM (4 GB soldered, 1 DIMM slot populated but available for upgrade,) 256 GB NVMe SSD. 15" FHD IPS display.

Should be a reasonable alternative to the ~$280 recertified Acer I've been posting about with the 3200U and Vega 3.