Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, I think I've decided on selling the following. If you're in the US and want to purchase, message me:

BREWCRAFTERS SOLD
RA SOLD
Lewis and Clark (plus promos) SOLD
Puzzle Strike 3rd edition (plus promo) SOLD
Paper Tales SOLD

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Civilization A New Dawn
Voyages of Marco Polo (NIS)
Divinity Derby Kickstarter Deluxe
Libertalia
Street Kings
Cash N Guns (plus both expansions)
Riff Raff
London Second Edition
Tumblin Dice
Lost Cities (NIS)

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Any recommendations for the best 3-player games with a standard deck (or decks) of cards? I usually like euchre or spades but you need 4 for those.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PopZeus posted:

Any recommendations for the best 3-player games with a standard deck (or decks) of cards? I usually like euchre or spades but you need 4 for those.

Cribbage!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aramoro posted:

Cribbage!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PopZeus posted:

Texas Hold'em obviously

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Tysiąc!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

PopZeus posted:

I used to play 3-5-9 in this situation. It's awful though, so avoid at all costs

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

Cribbage!

Forever. Forever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cribbage is very dumb. You should play cribbage a lot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Memorize every character in Yomi and then just play using poker decks

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I would definitely say Cribbage is the winner here for 3 player games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hearts is fine at 3

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

PopZeus posted:

Skat https://www.pagat.com/schafkopf/skat.html

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 10, 2019

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ninety-nine

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

Memorize every character in Yomi and then just play using poker decks

Speaking of Sirlin, he just announced he's got new board games coming out. If you want to know the details you can join his Patreon!

... ffs, he's so dumb he's trying to monetize his press releases. Seriously, just loving Kickstart or sell your IP to a publisher, man.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I played Underwater Cities a second time last night and have decided that I don't like it, and it's aggressively mediocre. There really aren't any interesting decisions to be made and other than blocking people by going first, there is no player interaction. The game is just a solo tableau/engine builder that ultimately just feels unsatisfying at the end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sir:lol:lin

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Dune night was a great success, Harkonnen / Guild Alliance winning on turn 5. It was a fantastic ending, where we'd basically exhausted all the Harkonnen traitors, so the final battle between the guild and the Fremen should have been a given with my Bene Gesserit voice assist, but then in a shocking twist, the guild player revealed she had Stilgar as her traitor! Fantastic stuff.

Also this thing went down a treat:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

That is both disgusting and awesome.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Firefly: So this was my first ever sandbox style game and I really didn’t enjoy my first play. There was basically no player interaction so it was just 3 of us playing solitaire in the same room. Which can be a lot of fun based on the game, but I just didn’t really find many of the decisions compelling. For the most part it seems like your current best options are easy to pick out and there isn’t much variety in actual game play. Go get contracts, deliver contracts, try and get crew and gear without major detours.

Maybe after repeated plays the challenge of optimizing makes itself more apparent but it just didn’t do it for me. The theme around the reavers and the alliance also felt tacked on, neither of the ships on the board felt like a particular threat. I feel like certain planets or systems coming under reaver attack making contracts more difficult or other things of that ilk would have integrated it more.

Upgrading your ship and crew at least felt like a neat sense of progression, though everyone being a firefly transport ship made it a bit samey.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

!Klams posted:

Dune night was a great success, Harkonnen / Guild Alliance winning on turn 5. It was a fantastic ending, where we'd basically exhausted all the Harkonnen traitors, so the final battle between the guild and the Fremen should have been a given with my Bene Gesserit voice assist, but then in a shocking twist, the guild player revealed she had Stilgar as her traitor! Fantastic stuff.

recipe/technique please

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Firefly is just rough. A huge amount of busywork with no real payoff. Not something you need to revisit.

I played Dune six player on Sunday and it is a wild time. I'll post actual reflection a little later, but I can say we all loved it and are dying to play it again

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

Firefly: So this was my first ever sandbox style game and I really didn’t enjoy my first play. There was basically no player interaction so it was just 3 of us playing solitaire in the same room. Which can be a lot of fun based on the game, but I just didn’t really find many of the decisions compelling. For the most part it seems like your current best options are easy to pick out and there isn’t much variety in actual game play. Go get contracts, deliver contracts, try and get crew and gear without major detours.

Maybe after repeated plays the challenge of optimizing makes itself more apparent but it just didn’t do it for me. The theme around the reavers and the alliance also felt tacked on, neither of the ships on the board felt like a particular threat. I feel like certain planets or systems coming under reaver attack making contracts more difficult or other things of that ilk would have integrated it more.

Upgrading your ship and crew at least felt like a neat sense of progression, though everyone being a firefly transport ship made it a bit samey.

...you aren't the Felix that was at a 4 day con just now, are you?

Anyway big games that were played, not by me, included Firefly, Star Trek Ascendancy, High Frontier. I have no interest in playing any of them.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well good to know I wasn’t missing anything in my one play the. Also sorry silvergoose but not me, I still have never made a con and definitely need to fix that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

Well good to know I wasn’t missing anything in my one play the. Also sorry silvergoose but not me, I still have never made a con and definitely need to fix that

Kk just curious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Firefly is ok if you have a group which mostly knows how to play and doesn't suffer from AP. When that's the case you can often do much of your turn during other people's turns and it speeds up quite a bit. There are some expansions which increase player interactivity as well. The game improves immensely when it is expanded, and I feel it's really the best-in-class "draw cards, get equipment, race to the finish" genre of game, at least so far as I've seen.

Some people in my regular group like to play it once in a while for a change of pace and I don't object. BUT I would not spend a single goddamn cent on that game or encourage others to spend on it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

!Klams posted:

Glorious

Looks like there's a filling of some kind, if so what is it?

I made these once for a Halloween dinner (it's pork and the teeth are pieces of uncooked spaghetti) making dumb food can be fun.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

PopZeus posted:

Tong-its is a specifically 3-player rummy game, reminiscent of Mahjong, very popular where I grew up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tong-its

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bobvonunheil posted:

recipe/technique please

I tried to do this http://kitchenoverlord.com/dune-week-spice-filled-sandworm/ , and by comparison mine looks pretty ridiculous (I forgot to add the ridges before baking because I was falling asleep and didn't have a big enough tray to make it long enough etc) but I've got some tips if you do try to follow this recipe (and, honestly if you're even considering it, you should. It's easy and it came out loving DELICIOUS. I thought it would be fine if it just looked ok and tasted ok, but people genuinely wanted to eat lots of it!)

I've put something of a guide below, because that blog is loving typical recipe / blog fare of having different ingredients in the instructions to the ones listed, fluff in the recipe, and just zero instructions for the complicated bits. It's probably totally unnessecary to any of you that can actually bake already, but it would have been helpful to me because I'm useless! I also converted to non batfuck-insane measurements, but if for some reason you want cups its on the site. Anyway:

SANDWORM DOUGH:

350ml warm water
2 tbsp yeast
95g Brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 eggs
75g slightly cooled melted butter
2 tsp salt
900 cups bread flour

SPICE FILLING:
2 tbsp garam masala (Recipe suggests pumpkin spice or whatever else you'd prefer, I used this and it was lush)
2 tsp cinnamon
150g brown sugar
55g melted butter (Or, enough to cover the dough once it's rolled out)
Sliced blanched almonds (I could only get flaked almonds, which wasn't great to be honest, but, I mean you can see the teeth on mine, it's ok. I kinda wish I'd put more.)
Some raisins (just like, if you want more or fewer raisins, add or remove some. Easier to eyeball than measure.)

Glaze (Original recipe only mentions this during the instructions):
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Vanilla

Icing (Original recipe calls this Glaze, which I found kinda confusing because I suck at baking):
110g Icing sugar
180ml water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

What I wish I knew before I started:

The recipe sometimes calls for you to add Seitch Spice. Just loving ignore it. It's a joke. And like, fine, with hindsight that's obvious, but considering one of the ingredients is 'spice filling' it's somewhat unhelpful. ANYWAY. What you're doing is making a bread, then you're gonna roll it out into a big rectangle. Then when it's a rectangle, you cover one of the narrow ends with almonds sticking up to form the teeth, slather the butter for the spice filling all over the bread, and spread the rest of the filling out all over it, just kinda throwing it about evenly and rubbing it in (it's p messsy). You then loosely roll this all up like a swiss roll (butter and stuff goes everywhere) and that forms the worm. What I didn't really realise (and don't think the recipe makes clear) was that, even the teeth at the front, you're rolling up, so you'll kind of have a spiral of teeth, but after it's baked it looks fine. The way you get a mouth, is by making a cone out of tin foil, and rolling the teeth part around that, so that when it bakes there's still a hole. You have to put the cone at the end you start rolling from, not the middle. (Again, probably obvious to anyone more than half awake but hey). Make the tinfoil cone a little bit bigger than you think you want it. You then shape this to look like a worm, and it's pretty important to do it now while it's still kinda doughy and malleable. At this point you glaze it with the egg / vanilla mix. (The original recipe calls the icing a glaze which is probably technically correct but confused me because it was 3am). You then bake the thing. When it's done, you take it out, somehow move it onto a plate big enough (because this thing is actually loving massive, in my picture you can see mine is kinda fat rather than long, and it's on a particularly big chopping board because that's all I could find big enough to serve it on, if you make it long, you'll probably have to curl it round a bunch more). While it's still warm, paint a bunch of the icing on top, with the understanding that the icing stuff will probably go everywhere. In the original recipe, you can see they have what looks like a dip to serve with it, and it looks creamy white, like white chocolate or something? Turns out this is just the 'icing' (that they call glaze) and when you whisk it a bunch it gets a white froth on the top. It will actually be brown because it's full of cinnamon, so don't worry about that. Also, no one actually wanted extra 'icing' on or anywhere near theirs, this thing is pretty drat sweet already, you certainly wont want to dip it in icing sugar. As such, I'd say feel free to go hog wild drenching the thing in icing without really looking to retain any. Oh, also, you've got to do everything rythmically. Obviously.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Flamme Rouge, Parks, Magic Maze, Cat Lady, and Letter Jam over the weekend.

Flamme Rouge is awesome as always. It was the second time I had played it, with four instead of three, and right until the end we were biting our nails. Will always be up for a game of this.

Parks was eh. Like a simple Tokaido, which is already pretty simple.walk forward, get stuff, use stuff to visit parks. Was a bit of a discrepancy in the bonus end of game goals, where the goal I was given was the same as my opponent (collect a particular type of token, essentially), except that my tokens were far easier to get than hers.

Cat Lady was surprisingly fun! I had heard someone mention it as a set building game that's better than it looks, and that's an apt description. The mechanic on the board of taking a row/column, then restocking it, but the next player being unable to take that newly restocked row/column is a good one that adds a decent amount of depth to the game, plus just gathering up cats like they were going out of style was fun :3. Only issue I had was that some of the stray cats were way more useful than others (one just hoovered up all extra good you had and spit out a bunch of VP, making it more useful to get food rather than cats after that)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

VanguardFelix posted:

It doesn't improve with repeated plays. If you didn't like it on the first go around nothing changes (even with expansions).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Played Flamme Rouge, Parks, Magic Maze, Cat Lady, and Letter Jam over the weekend.

Parks was eh. Like a simple Tokaido, which is already pretty simple.walk forward, get stuff, use stuff to visit parks. Was a bit of a discrepancy in the bonus end of game goals, where the goal I was given was the same as my opponent (collect a particular type of token, essentially), except that my tokens were far easier to get than hers.

You mean PARKS, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'll probably post a full con report tomorrow, but holy poo poo the amount of wingspan and tapestry being played, by people whose opinions I at least respect.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

You mean PARKS, right?

Huh, yeah I was entering the game into my score tracker and when I retrieved the game info from BGG it was PARKS. I thought it was just an error.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I've yet to play Tapestry myself. But when I've seen it played, there's one player with a capitol full of skyscrapers when everyone else has some mud huts. So far, I'm going to stick to Through the Ages and Flow of History for that genre.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

golden bubble posted:

I've yet to play Tapestry myself. But when I've seen it played, there's one player with a capitol full of skyscrapers when everyone else has some mud huts. So far, I'm going to stick to Through the Ages and Flow of History for that genre.

Speaking of which, I finally got to try flow! It was good. Not great, but good. Felt like the way innovation pushes and pulls at you without being insane lolrandom have to read every single card on everyone's tableaux to do anything strategic. The investing mechanic was neat. End of the game was fucky as I was warned it was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

golden bubble posted:

I've yet to play Tapestry myself. But when I've seen it played, there's one player with a capitol full of skyscrapers when everyone else has some mud huts.

And that player will be the owner, and he will be playing Futurists.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played Dune and (mostly) everyone had a blast. Made a ton of mistakes but overall a really nice experience. I think as long as everyone has fun and embraces the chaos and doesn't get pouty it could be great choice for a day of gaming with the possibility of adding or subtracting other games depending on how long it goes. Game is another example of what I'm looking for now with my games, which is a lot of player interaction and talking during turns and scheming. That said I could see things bogging down over rules fighting and semantics if you get a really pedantic prick who won't let go of something.

Only criticism is what maniac thought it was a smart design choice to give the Emperor and Spacing Guild two almost indistinguishable faction colours. It was driving me nuts and I have no clue how the two of them were keeping it straight.

Jedit posted:

And that player will be the owner, and he will be playing Futurists.

That's what happened in our game. I was just staring at his player board and everything he was doing watching as tapestry after tapestry came up that he could use and it was the first time in a long time that I felt like I was just having the poo poo kicked out of me for no good reason beyond showing up. I'm still withholding complete judgement until later but so far the game seems like it's trying to do seven things, none of which really well, and on top of all that it's an imbalanced Cosmic Encounter-tier festival of randomness.*

*(It's not nearly as bad as that but christ there where times when I was getting so frustrated...)

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 11, 2019

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, I think I've decided on selling the following. If you're in the US and want to purchase, message me:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Civilization A New Dawn
Brewcrafters
Ra
Lewis and Clark (plus promos)
Puzzle Strike 3rd edition (plus promo)
Voyages of Marco Polo (NIS)
Paper Tales
Divinity Derby Kickstarter Deluxe
Libertalia
Street Kings
Cash N Guns (plus both expansions)
Riff Raff
London Second Edition
Tumblin Dice
Lost Cities (NIS)

I picked up Puzzle Strike and Paper Tales, sent the money today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone know the quality difference on Bus 20th Anniversary Edition vs. any of the older editions? I have the opportunity to get a nice trade for a 3rd printing original edition, but Splotter can have huge differences between editions *cough Indonesia*, so I wanted to check what I was in for. I see the anniversary edition has silk screen printing of the buildings and scoring markers. Does that actually make a huge difference?

Also people's opinion on Bus are generally favorable? I think I've seen the sentiment that it plays excellently with 3? Which is a hard player count to get good games for.