Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I liked Baga before but she should have been gone that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So baga, ddc and the vivian for top 3 with a dance off to decide it?

That means ddc will kill it but lose to The Vivian cos Ru loves her but DDC wins long term as she is our Bianca/Alaska/Katya.

Where is that toxx button.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Extremely team Baga but I was surprised to see her give up this week so I’m wondering what got edited out.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Remind me, is the Viviene a tory bastard or is it just baga?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ICHIBAHN posted:

I am absolutely a total novice when it comes to UK politics, but from what I remember, folks from Liverpool are generally very anti-Tory (or at the very least anti-Thatcher) due to some incident regarding mines and loving over miners? I keep seeing UK-based folks saying that it's unusual for a Scouse person to be so close to a Tory, but again, this could be total hearsay.

I'm sure (or at least I hope!) someone can either correct me or elaborate.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't think so. The Liverpool stuff is a thing so it would surprise me.

Apparently Baga has now said she hates Boris and had met Jeremy Corbyn and likes him so will vote for him. Basically she's a bit of a gobshite who swings politically with whatever she thinks looks good at the time? Much like many Brits it seems.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the main thing I knew about baga was that she wrote something in defense of some "non-white immigrants are dangerous bc ???? therefore brexit" thought piece and was thoroughly dragged for it. I assumed she was a tory from that but my understanding of the UK poo poo fight is understandably limited

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Oh I think she was a Tory and supported Brexit, loves Maggie Thatcher etc. Don't know if she's changed her political stance or just doesn't really have one and is influenced by whatever she sees/whoever she speaks to last. My money's on the latter tbh.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ICHIBAHN posted:

If Viv was a tory she could, i kid you not, probably not book a single gig in Liverpool. It's a very left wing city.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Read After Burning posted:

I am absolutely a total novice when it comes to UK politics, but from what I remember, folks from Liverpool are generally very anti-Tory (or at the very least anti-Thatcher) due to some incident regarding mines and loving over miners? I keep seeing UK-based folks saying that it's unusual for a Scouse person to be so close to a Tory, but again, this could be total hearsay.

I'm sure (or at least I hope!) someone can either correct me or elaborate.

Liverpool resident here.

Thatcher did her best to destroy the city, advocating for 'managed decline'. Everyone here had a party when she died.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I know Liverpools history ffs im in Scotland, its the same here. I just forgot which of the two was a tory

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

I know Liverpools history ffs im in Scotland, its the same here. I just forgot which of the two was a tory

Ah, my apologies! I assumed you were a fellow ignorant American...as an ignorant American would.

Along with the Tory stuff, I do know there was some Baga quote from a few years ago regarding Somalian immigrants that was basically "I'm not saying they're all homophobic, but...they're pretty much all homophobic" with the claim that all of the homophobic encounters she has had have been with folks with Somalia. I believe she was coming to the defense of the...owner? Promoter? of G-A-Y who holds similar views. This may be what Malcom's post is referring to.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Robot Mil posted:

Oh I think she was a Tory and supported Brexit, loves Maggie Thatcher etc. Don't know if she's changed her political stance or just doesn't really have one and is influenced by whatever she sees/whoever she speaks to last. My money's on the latter tbh.

I saw her recently at the admiral Duncan and can tell you she has no convictions whatsoever. At this point she's in it for the money and depending on what people are yelling at her she'll repeat it. She used to be a staunch Thatcher lover, but since that came to light during DRUK and there's been a huge backlash from gay london, she's not gotten a lot of work other than ru girl gigs and she's changed her tune. She doesn't talk about it much nowadays, really just nods her head and agrees with you.

Edit:

Read After Burning posted:

Ah, my apologies! I assumed you were a fellow ignorant American...as an ignorant American would.

Along with the Tory stuff, I do know there was some Baga quote from a few years ago regarding Somalian immigrants that was basically "I'm not saying they're all homophobic, but...they're pretty much all homophobic" with the claim that all of the homophobic encounters she has had have been with folks with Somalia. I believe she was coming to the defense of the...owner? Promoter? of G-A-Y who holds similar views. This may be what Malcom's post is referring to.

I'm pretty sure it's the owner of XXL. He's said some terrible loving things in the past, and thank God he's losing his club.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 11, 2019

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Guilty posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the owner of XXL. He's said some terrible loving things in the past, and thank God he's losing his club.

This source (although I have no idea as to how reputable it is, never heard of this site before) indicates that it's the fella at G-A-Y. The only other mention I've seen of him is that he was a huge supporter of Gia Gunn's transition fund.

I'm going to look more into the XXL owner, but a quick glance tells me that he is also a club owner with poo poo opinions, particularly towards folks he doesn't see as "masculine".

Here is the quote attributed to Baga:

quote:

As the comments poured in, cabaret artist, self proclaimed activist and regular performance judge at G-A-Y “Baga Chipz” chimed in. They stated that “crime and homophobia come’s in all creeds colours and backgrounds” but their share of homophobic abuse has “every time [been] by someone of Somalian heritage”. They noted that all Somalis are not “trouble makers and homophobic” but followed this with the question that “it must certainly stem from upbringing, Religion or culture?”.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, I guess I simply didn't pay attention before, but I watched the latest episode tonight, and was floored when I saw that The Vivienne is only 26. She definitely has the talent of a much more seasoned queen. But she also just plain looks 10 years older than her age.

But then it all made sense when she talked about being a drug addict for 4 years. Substance abuse definitely ages you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just being British ages people. The Queen herself is only 54.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

Just being British ages people. The Queen herself is only 54.

Your avatar has really progressed over the years. Whereas I paid the $5 way back in 2004 and haven't changed it since. Jesus, 15 years.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I had GBS produce a bunch when I was a mod and my account is all hosed up from being a mod/admin so I can still see my own title change history. I just pressure IKs into changing it now and then.

I remember you fondly!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

I remember you fondly!

Aww!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I haven't finished the episode yet but

PUPPETS

FINALLY, WE GET PUPPETS AGAIN

I MISSED YOU, PUPPETS!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I loving loved rus workroom suit this week, it was very Prince

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

rigamortis, girl

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Bushido Brown posted:

rigamortis, girl

I’m livid.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I can’t bring myself to be angry bc I sort of saw this coming but it sucks and I’m bummed as hell

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I can’t bring myself to be angry bc I sort of saw this coming but it sucks and I’m bummed as hell

I generally agree. Before I watched this episode I knew who the winner was going to be and who was going home, because of course, that's the narrative they've been running.

That said, it felt particularly undeserved.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I mean, I get that sometimes people treat their parents like dirt, but this episode was extremely uncomfortable to watch, wow.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Yeah that was straight up painful to watch. Then again it seemed like Baga and her mum didn't have that great a relationship to start with so bringing her in was bound to be awkward, especially when she also seemed to be painfully shy.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Baga's runway outfit looked like Faruza Balk. Did win that lipsync though. I'll miss Cheryl honestly, seems like a good egg.

Guilty posted:

I mean, I get that sometimes people treat their parents like dirt, but this episode was extremely uncomfortable to watch, wow.

Yeah sorry I got stuck with this broken down sack of crap, my mother, who's standing beside me right now. She can't dance ha ha oh we joke about how poo poo she is all the time.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
“We laugh about it” (mother is clearly crying)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Love me mum, off to to knacker's yard soon though. Very, very 'arsh they are.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Baga has been a wreck these last few weeks, to the point that I would have rather seen Cheryl win the lip sync just to even troll the fans with the possibility of a zero win queen getting the crown.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

All-Stars had better drat well be on Fridays, I'm sick of this Thursday nonsense. I want to go out and get drunk and watch the imho girls tear it to shreds and it's so much easier on Fridays...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Baga retroactively winning the reading challenge several episodes later on stage

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress baga.

Any oval office that is willing to oval office their mum off on national TV is a bottom of the pile oval office.

Tory wanker as well, it loving shows.

loving wrong 'en oval office.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Cheryls sister broke the zip as well and Cheryl could easily have made excuses for the outfits which is why they were in the bottom apparently (feck off Michelle) but not a peep out of her about it in judging. I love Divina but I think The Vivienne shoulda won that tbh.

Episode was hard to watch.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheryl was a oval office to her sister too, she blamed her for breaking the zip, told her she ate too many cheeseburgers. Different context and tone but still, oval office.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

True she didn’t rag her out in front of the judges though, the tone felt way more “sibling banter”. It still sucked but they moved on and did their best

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

All-Stars had better drat well be on Fridays, I'm sick of this Thursday nonsense. I want to go out and get drunk and watch the imho girls tear it to shreds and it's so much easier on Fridays...

Nah. When it was on Fridays, I found that I almost never got to see it on Friday. Either I had other plans, or you'd go to a bar to watch it, and it'd be so loud that you couldn't really hear the TV.

From what I hear, a lot of gay bars loved it when it was on Mondays, because it was a great way to get people to come to the bar on a night that they might not otherwise. They already have people going to the bars on Fridays, they didn't need the boost.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If I remember correctly, Queer as Folk used to air on Mondays, and we'd have viewing parties at the bar I went to at the time. Monday was also dollar well shot day! I don't remember the plot to Queer as Folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, regular week days are best imo for viewing parties of shows like this. Gives gay businesses a guaranteed busy-ish night they otherwise would be dead.