Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

They did it for the last MC for no reason. And?

drat I guess we really can't say that it was wrong of them to stop people from saying trans rights protesting their dumb move last night, because they've done it before to shut people up, drat. drat. I'm owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Gotta say it always warms my heart when this thread not only takes regressive shitheads to task for a full page+, but even occasionally tries educating them in case they're truly just ignorant. :five:

Tubgoat posted:

For gaming bags, I recommend checking out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army
Do note that Salvation Army are a bunch of anti-gay dipshits. I do not know if Goodwill also are, but I think they lack the overt religious connotation that Sal's has (& which seems to inform company policy).

Aranan posted:

[edit] Here are some photos of what I keep in my bag. Playmat not pictured because I just forgot, but I roll it up and put it in the tripod holder on the front.
I'm not seeing where the tripod holder is on here (nor on the actual store page, though it does mention it has to do with the straps somehow).

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In case you're too thick to get it I don't care about their reasons last time, I care about their reasons this time, which were to stop people from expressing solidarity in a hobby full of shitheads, some of whom have power over the game

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

drat I guess we really can't say that it was wrong of them to stop people from saying trans rights protesting their dumb move last night, because they've done it before to shut people up, drat. drat. I'm owned.

they were wrong, and so are you? these are not mutually exclusive things.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

they were wrong, and so are you? these are not mutually exclusive things.

You are bafflingly dumb

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just out of curiosity since I'm not familiar, what were their reasons (stated or inferred) for doing it last time?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bitprophet posted:

Do note that Salvation Army are a bunch of anti-gay dipshits. I do not know if Goodwill also are, but I think they lack the overt religious connotation that Sal's has (& which seems to inform company policy).
Goodwill is also a poo poo company that is completely and totally a for-profit company that operates through legal loopholes to evade taxes and labor laws alike while getting all of their stock for free from well-meaning but oblivious people donating it. They also pay and treat their employees like poo poo; some of their disabled employees only make 22 cents an hour.

So sure, you might get that $90 camera bag for $10, but your $10 is going to support a "charity" that in reality is just a series of scams welded together for profit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

Just out of curiosity since I'm not familiar, what were their reasons (stated or inferred) for doing it last time?

Wild guess: "spam"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

Twitch chat becomes extremely unpleasant when anyone who isn't a straight, white dude is in screen.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

Twitch chat becomes extremely unpleasant when anyone who isn't a straight, white dude is in screen.

Ah, yes, that would be a good reason.

What about other MCs? Is this the only two times they've done it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Labor laws regarding the disabled are hosed, but I think most people shopping at Goodwill are there for cheap poo poo, not to support a charity, and the alternative for most things that get donated to Goodwill is being thrown out. So they're at least reducing waste, albeit on the backs of the disadvantaged.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ItBreathes posted:

Labor laws regarding the disabled are hosed, but I think most people shopping at Goodwill are there for cheap poo poo, not to support a charity, and the alternative for most things that get donated to Goodwill is being thrown out. So they're at least reducing waste, albeit on the backs of the disadvantaged.
I don't know about other cities, but around here there's plenty of actual charities that run thrift shops you can donate to/shop from. For example, lots of churches have some kind of thrift shop (or other means of using donated whatever you have). If you have a local theater, they are generally down for accepting a donated pile of clothes because costumes are always needing to be made/repaired. And if Goodwill stops getting donations they stop existing to exploit the most easily & often exploited.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The giant gently caress-off banners about "jobs Jobs JOBS!!" all over the place are always creepy/amusing as gently caress.

I have never been refused an item re-price at a Goodwill when I've asked. The employees don't get paid enough to give a gently caress about margin, it's great. If you're respectful and they're not busy, they're glad to help out a fellow peasant, in my experience. :unsmith:

I also haven't seen any overtly differently-abled persons at the two I frequent, just broke motherfuckers who need a job, any job.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bitprophet posted:

I'm not seeing where the tripod holder is on here (nor on the actual store page, though it does mention it has to do with the straps somehow).

Just for you:

Bonus cameo of my dog's nose in the background while he's very loudly snoring.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 10, 2019

stump collector
May 28, 2007
A few pages back, but I believe there was a tweet for pioneer metagame lists from a recent tournament. Anyone have a link to the deck lists/tournament results?

Edit: I'm interested mostly in the mono black devotion and vampires lists.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pioneer-mono-black-vampires#paper I guess the vampire deck is probably this one.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 10, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Aranan posted:

Bonus cameo of my dog's nose in the background while he's very loudly snoring.

boop him for us when he wakes up

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PT top 8 has more Shepherd of the Flock than Mountain

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't know about other cities, but around here there's plenty of actual charities that run thrift shops you can donate to/shop from. For example, lots of churches have some kind of thrift shop (or other means of using donated whatever you have). If you have a local theater, they are generally down for accepting a donated pile of clothes because costumes are always needing to be made/repaired. And if Goodwill stops getting donations they stop existing to exploit the most easily & often exploited.

Depends on where you are

Syracuse has dick all for thrift stores outside of Goodwill

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Elyv posted:

PT top 8 has more Shepherd of the Flock than Mountain

this seems like a weird criterion but ok

e: to pull a random counterexample out of my rear end, there were more copies of hornet nest than plains in the top 8 of pro tour dragons of tarkir.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 10, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ungulateman posted:

this seems like a weird criterion but ok

e: to pull a random counterexample out of my rear end, there were more copies of hornet nest than plains in the top 8 of pro tour dragons of tarkir.

it's just a funny little factoid when one color is just flat dead in one tournament, even though it happens semi-regularly

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I think Breeding Pool outnumbering the Mardu basics combined for the event is both more impressive and more dire but yeah stats like that are neat

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No Terfs on Our Turf is a good pun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
once upon a time in every deck in the t8, most with 4x. 4x oko in every deck with blue in it.

almost every deck has main deck color (green) hosers*---the one without them doesn't have access to them (cuneo's gw). not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case likely symptomatic of a problem.

(also i don't like the gg site. looks like a mobile formatted site even on a desktop, and the card image previews in decklists are a bit laggy.)

e:*hoser might be too strong a word for this cycle

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

some busted cards notwithstanding, i gotta say, these decks look pretty cool/fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

once upon a time in every deck in the t8, most with 4x. 4x oko in every deck with blue in it.

almost every deck has main deck color (green) hosers*---the one without them doesn't have access to them (cuneo's gw). not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case likely symptomatic of a problem.

(also i don't like the gg site. looks like a mobile formatted site even on a desktop, and the card image previews in decklists are a bit laggy.)

e:*hoser might be too strong a word for this cycle

You could probably ban the whole food package from standard and some combo of green would still be the most powerful color in the format.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the food package isn't very good without oko. the non-oko green cards that are a problem in some order or another are:

- once upon a time for consistency, and honestly this is way bigger than the rest
- nissa for 'why would you play any other 5 mana walker that wins the game'
- veil of summer for 'the best hate card against the hate cards is a hate card and also we made it good at protecting the cards that shouldn't be protected from hate'
- krasis for 'why would you play any other 5 mana walker that wins the game'
- edgewall innkeeper for 'play green if you want to play adventures you moron', which makes all the adventure decks green/x instead of potentially letting any other combination of mardu colors play it

like you could make an argument for gilded goose but the part where oko totally trivialises its deckbuilding cost is a big factor

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't know why wizards has been pushing green so much in recent sets, is it just their version of fan service or pandering or what. It almost looks like they let their market research team design the sets, figuring they will sell better if big green things are good in standard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's the best color op

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it was kinda poo poo for a while recently, iirc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm running into "the fallen empires problem" catching up with the pt stream: alternative arts make following games for someone unfamiliar with the format all the more difficult.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bonus posted:

I don't know why wizards has been pushing green so much in recent sets, is it just their version of fan service or pandering or what. It almost looks like they let their market research team design the sets, figuring they will sell better if big green things are good in standard.

Independent efforts to specifically push both Green and Simic overlapped with a general push to raise the power level of standard. End result is that all of the colors that weren't specifically pushed can't really compete. Weird, huh?

tl;dr they accidentally a 19 year old duelist joke

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The one color common to bant company, every delirium, energy, and Reclamation deck, and Scapeshift has sucked recently.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

The one color common to bant company, every delirium, energy, and Reclamation deck, and Scapeshift has sucked recently.

True

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I do find it funny that the obviously pushed green mythic, Questing Beast, is like only the 4th or 5th best green card from the set in the current meta.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's kind of messed up that a card that looks like it was designed by a 10 year old that kept sticking cool abilities on a card with no sense of restraint is being overshadowed by the more busted green cards in this set.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All they had to do to avoid all of this was to sit down and go “hey anyone else on PlayDesign, isn’t weird that Questing Beast, our premier Anti-Planeswalker Mythic, cannot reasonably kill an Oko or even a Royal Scions, despite being incredibly pushed to do so?”

and then everyone else would be like “Hey YEAH that is weird, let’s re-examine Oko and make sure it’s not too strong.”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

was that in response to me? i think it was guilds pt where green looked weaker. i know it's been a powerhouse historically (in this era of magic).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bust Rodd posted:

All they had to do to avoid all of this was to sit down and go “hey anyone else on PlayDesign, isn’t weird that Questing Beast, our premier Anti-Planeswalker Mythic, cannot reasonably kill an Oko or even a Royal Scions, despite being incredibly pushed to do so?”

and then everyone else would be like “Hey YEAH that is weird, let’s re-examine Oko and make sure it’s not too strong.”

I'm pretty sure the conversation went “hey anyone else on PlayDesign, isn’t weird that Questing Beast, our premier Anti-Planeswalker Mythic, can reasonably kill an Oko or even a Royal Scions, despite planeswalkers being our pack bread and butter?”

and then everyone else would be like “Hey YEAH that is weird, let’s re-examine Oko and make sure it’s not too weak.”

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

No Terfs on Our Turf is a good pun
It's a cool pun but I don't love putting it on lands that don't actually tap for GR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

honestly you could make some pretty surgical changes to fix the problems if magic was a game that was erratable, which it isn't.

- -1 oko loyalty
- wicked wolf prevents damage rather than becoming indestructible (bonecrusher giant proceeds to stomp it in the goddamn face and also noxious grasp kills it)
- don't print once upon a time

comedy options:

- edgewall innkeeper is white
- swap teferi's passive and +1 (fry in response to the +1)
- veil of summer doesn't protect nongreen stuff (why can i veil of summer to make my pyroblast uncounterable again exactly?)
- oko's +1 only lasts until your next turn (this one they actually can defensibly errata if they're willing to look like idiots, which they already do, so...)