Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Me me me. I've avoided the thread until I finished one playthrough. Bunch of random thoughts:

I went high Psyche/Intellect and enjoyed all the emotional story beats the most. Kind of disappointed in myself in that a lot of the political stuff went over my head and I kinda gave up after a certain point because it felt like too much to keep track of.

One of the elements I liked most is that you have to address things your 'past' self did and it makes for a lot of uncomfortable moments as you try to reconcile who you were with who you'd like to be; the amnesia angle isn't just a get-out-of-jail-free card. I was definitely Sorry Copping it for a while until I felt like I had done enough in the world to not have to do it anymore. And there wasn't one particular solved questline that made me feel this way, it was more organic. It feels pretty rare for a game to be able to pull off something like that.

I wish the game been more sprawling at first but that wouldn't make sense for the story. I was just so engrossed in the world I wanted to see a glimpse of the places that were being described. Maybe we'll get a road trip style game in the Elysium setting someday.

In the meantime (endgame spoilers) Kim is gonna come chill with me at the 41st and at some point we're gonna hang out and put new headlights on his Kineema or some poo poo. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Oh, definitely, there sure seemed to be motive for her, but when that comment about the sound of the gunshot was dropped very early on in that portion of the investigation, it then felt a little bizarre to then go through with trying to establish opportunity without resolving that question, or indeed even asking that question.

I can't promise I'm not misremembering, but I recall the gunshot sound being brought up at least once while persuading the Hardie boys to snitch on where Ruby was hiding, in addition to the bit you mentioned. My impression wasn't that Harry was necessarily convinced Ruby was the killer, but rather that he really needed to track her down and selling Titus on the idea she might've done it was a convenient way to make him rat her out.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

tripwood posted:

Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

There were a lot of heavy moments - the game certainly becomes more intense tone-wise around the mid-point or so.
Quite a few scenes hit an emotional high note with me - the (successful) karaoke, giving notice of the dead body, Sad FM, the phonecall, the intercom glitch, dreaming of Dolores Dei, heart-to-heart chats with Kim, etc, but oddly enough the one line that got me full-on ugly sobbing (probably the hardest I've ever cried at a videogame, actually) was "I'm glad to be me - an incredibly sensitive instrument". I struggle with self-worth a lot, and something about everything in the game that leads up to that scene made that sentence land perfectly with me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

the (successful) karaoke, giving notice of the dead body, Sad FM, the phonecall, the intercom glitch, dreaming of Dolores Dei, heart-to-heart chats with Kim, etc

Ironically, one of my favorite Kim moments is when you botch the karaoke, but he genuinely appreciates your performance the way only a brother in arms can.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

an owls casket posted:

Finished it earlier today, and it's just goddamned fantastic. The scene at the end before you take the boat back with the Phasmid made me tear up, as did the resolution to the missing husband case. The latter really got to me, because of the way that whole chain of events starts off just seeming like Harry going off on a ridiculous tangential chain of thoughts. ugh. I started off gravitating towards the sort of comedy-option dialogue choices towards the beginning of the game, but when you get your paperwork back and find out that you're actually a really good detective that has solved a lot of cases (to the point of impressing Kim, even) it really made me shift how I played going forward. I don't know that any other game has done that to me. I do kinda regret never figuring out what Cuno's deal was, though.

I had the same arc with my Harry. It's really cool.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

me, talking to the first person in the game: suggestion is my signature skill, so I guess I'll try it out on this lady, haha

me, 6 hours later: ... i'm a garbage person, gently caress

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fellatio del Toro posted:

me, talking to the first person in the game: suggestion is my signature skill, so I guess I'll try it out on this lady, haha

The litany of penalties to keeping your composure when Titus tells you who the alleged rape victim is is fantastic. Great usage of game mechanics to remind the player of their own actions.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Read the info panel for Suggestion and check what kinds of people it's recommended for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I am deeply saddened that googling "Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colourful Tie" Catalogue number j327" turns up nothing

I miss you, beautiful tie friend

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am deeply saddened that googling "Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colourful Tie" Catalogue number j327" turns up nothing

I miss you, beautiful tie friend

Had a pair of FUBU jeans I really liked. Was wearing them while skateboarding and fell and got a whole in the knee. Meanwhile I was dating this girl who lived far away. At some point, I tossed em in the garbage.

Somewhere out there in a dump lies a perfectly serviceable pair of jeans that have been to a Harlem Globetrotters game.(that has nothing to do with the game outside of internally)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

(Endgame) "I have failed you. I should be put in front of a firing squad for that."

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Going to try this out. Are there any obvious trap builds I should avoid? I'm thinking about going with 2 points in Int and Mot, and 4 in Psy and Fys and Inland Empire as my signature.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are no trap builds. Also, that was my exact build (except I took Visual Calculus as my signature) and I had an amazing time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hibbloes posted:

“ All the gifts your parents gave you, all the love and patience of your friends, you drowned in a neurotoxin. You let misery win. And it will keep on winning till you die -- or overcome it.”

I defeated the al gul, despite that Measurehead woman saying that it was really hard and her mom tried and failed at it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

divx posted:

Going to try this out. Are there any obvious trap builds I should avoid? I'm thinking about going with 2 points in Int and Mot, and 4 in Psy and Fys and Inland Empire as my signature.

Volition and Endurance are your health, so having a single point in each is a bit rough.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

divx posted:

You avoided the closest thing to a trap, which is having 1 health and/or 1 morale. Which is doable, but youd have to always have a stock of supplies and hit the plus over the bar after any hit.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

divx posted:

I'd suggest One of the Mot skills as the signature to raise their learning cap.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bob human being posted:

You avoided the closest thing to a trap, which is having 1 health and/or 1 morale. Which is doable, but youd have to always have a stock of supplies and hit the plus over the bar after any hit.

Yeah, really you want a min of 3 in both Phys and Psyche so you have 3/3 in each health category.

I'd say do one stat at 2, two stats at 3, one stat at 4, and put the signature skill in the "2" stat category so it raises the low cap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yeah, really you want a min of 3 in both Phys and Psyche so you have 3/3 in each health category.

I'd say do one stat at 2, two stats at 3, one stat at 4, and put the signature skill in the "2" stat category so it raises the low cap.

I would actually go against that and say it's best to not try to metagame this game. Have at least 2 in both PSY and PHYS for your first playthrough, but pump points in whatever you think sounds fun. It will make it more interesting.

Also, you can get a thought pretty early on that will raise your PHYS learning cap to 4, so it's not as bad to have low as PSY.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd argue that's not necessary at all. Two in each is plenty as long as you make sure you keep the healing items in good stock.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd argue that's not necessary at all. Two in each is plenty as long as you make sure you keep the healing items in good stock.

oh yeah it's not necessary it's just marginally easier.

The metagame build would be 3/3/3/3 and then just use clothing and reroll any missed checks, but that would be boringesque and not disco.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In my opinion the commander was b it to hard on Harry, look what we acheived:
murder - solved
drugs - yes
rarest insect - catalogued
heroic intervention to prevent bloodbath - done
good cop Kim Kitsuragi into cursed Precinct 41 - recruited
car - 50000 real in the drain
2 millimeter hole - exists
apocalypse - in 44 days
the *return* - fucken happening

Overall I say pretty stellar job, especially considing the roll call and that harry is considered one of *our* guys 100 percent. I think it refers to the return

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 10, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a message to those that haven't finished the game and are visiting the thread: Spoilers have been running a bit rampant for a while, so it might be wise to finish the game before stopping by to say hello.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck was that ending

a really long video-game-rear end conversation with a bunch of characters we barely know that goes on and on that is just "list of things you've done in the game"? It felt super duper lame and the game really should have ended after the phasmid and maybe a conversation with Kim. I was genuinely shocked there wasn't a post credits scene. The final line in the game is some random woman sauing "I'm a bit cold!"

In the end I kinda liked who the shooter was - a holdover from a long-since gone revolution. I thought the jealousy aspect was kinda boring though.

Honestly, the abrupt and weird ending makes me feel like there's some major catharsis I missed out on or something I should have done? I met the phasmid, saved as many people in the shoot-out as I could, couldn't find my gun and let Klaasja go. Did I gently caress up? Is the ending really that lame???

Like honestly I would 100% prefer "that kind of scene" to happen earlier in the game - maybe right befoer the boat trip - than the very end.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 10, 2019

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Yeah, the ending's not that good. It kinda screams "sequel!" Which hopefully will happen someday.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Like honestly I would 100% prefer "that kind of scene" to happen earlier in the game - maybe right befoer the boat trip - than the very end.

Did you sleep on the island and were you able to talk to the phasmid? Those two things add a lot of catharsis, I think.

Generally I didn't mind the final conversation, though. It seemed a natural enough way to wrap things up--you solved the case, your old colleagues are there to collect you, and maybe you can recruit Kim. It's not very flashy or exciting but it's really the denouement. The climaxes were the encounter with the tribunal and the encounter with the killer/phasmid.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Broken Cog posted:

Just a message to those that haven't finished the game and are visiting the thread: Spoilers have been running a bit rampant for a while, so it might be wise to finish the game before stopping by to say hello.
Disco Elysium: Inland Empire[medium:success] No, don't read this thread!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck was that ending

a really long video-game-rear end conversation with a bunch of characters we barely know that goes on and on that is just "list of things you've done in the game"? It felt super duper lame and the game really should have ended after the phasmid and maybe a conversation with Kim. I was genuinely shocked there wasn't a post credits scene. The final line in the game is some random woman sauing "I'm a bit cold!"

In the end I kinda liked who the shooter was - a holdover from a long-since gone revolution. I thought the jealousy aspect was kinda boring though.

Honestly, the abrupt and weird ending makes me feel like there's some major catharsis I missed out on or something I should have done? I met the phasmid, saved as many people in the shoot-out as I could, couldn't find my gun and let Klaasja go. Did I gently caress up? Is the ending really that lame???

I'd say phasmid is the ending and final conversation is a sort of epilogue.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

moralists. moralists. moralists. youre all moralists. none of you are free from moralism.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 10, 2019

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

tripwood posted:

Yeah, the ending's not that good. It kinda screams "sequel!" Which hopefully will happen someday.

I thought it was more "shows over. you dont have to go home, but you cant stay here."

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Skellybones posted:

moralists. moralists. moralists. youre all moralists. none of you are free from moralism.

Jesus. With those moralintern-blue backgrounds in a row like that I'm starting to think that the portrait analysis effort-post few pages back really might've been onto something there.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Jesus. With those moralintern-blue backgrounds in a row like that I'm starting to think that the portrait analysis effort-post few pages back really might've been onto something there.

Yeah. He might be on to something here, their symbol is a blue forget-me-not

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skellybones posted:

Excuse me, Joyce is an ultraliberal; I didn't do the sign of the cross and cry out to God in Spanish when I found out for nothing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 10, 2019

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Excuse me, Joyce is an ultraliberal; I didn't do the sign of the cross and cry out to God in Spanish when I found out for nothing.

Yes, Joyce and Siileng are more ultraliberal/capitalist, but it's really just an evolution of enlightened moralism.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Also trying to decide how I feel about "The Pale". I loved the game and even it's spookier, weirder aspects but to me that element feels almost like too much. The strangeness of shivers and inland empire feel less special when there is a magic fog that's going to eat everything. The worldbuilding is really grand and fantastic but again "magic spaceships and lorries that travel through magic non-existence" is a weird thing for no one to talk about much. It's a meta thing about games and boundaries outside the screen but honestly that kind of rote element to the world feels a bit... beneath the game? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but I kinda would have preferred the game to just remain "an archepelago" with some under-the-surface weirdness.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

And there is also a coalition ship Archer always on standby to shell the enemies of capital. But how is this possible if they travel via airships that are thrown in precise trajectories? Come to think of it, how is her yacht possible?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 10, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Also trying to decide how I feel about "The Pale".
It's kind of a central conceit of the setting, which was developed years before the game, so whether or not it clicked for you as presented, they wanted to tell a story in this world that keeps going on regardless of how monumentally this end-of-civilization(or even reality)-as-anyone-knows-it inevitability looms over everything.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Wait, it’s a global warming thing, isn’t it?

E: only half joking

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

The worldbuilding is really grand and fantastic but again "magic spaceships and lorries that travel through magic non-existence" is a weird thing for no one to talk about much.
But why would they talk about it when most of them will probably never be able to leave Revachol in their entire lifetimes? How often do people around you talk about space, mysteries of the deep ocean or even the threat of climate change before it started being taken more seriously worldwide? Joyce can because she's both rich enough and has a job that requires her crossing the Pale regularly; she's pretty much the only character in the game like that.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hogama posted:

It's kind of a central conceit of the setting, which was developed years before the game, so whether or not it clicked for you as presented, they wanted to tell a story in this world that keeps going on regardless of how monumentally this end-of-civilization(or even reality)-as-anyone-knows-it inevitability looms over everything.

Kind of like late-stage capitalism and the attendant destruction of the planet.