Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mierenneuker posted:

Following the multi-layered and controversial Starship Troopers (1997), Verhoeven wanted to tone down the levels of sex and violence in his next film, aiming to make a more "conventionally commercial blockbuster".

:thumbsup:

Starship Troopers is the least layered film ever made, barring other Verhoeven films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
total recall has a lot going on

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Saw the trailer for the new Invisible Man film. It looks like it might be pretty good, but I'm kinda hoping there's a line or something in there about how he's not visible under a thermal cam, cause if not, gently caress the whole movie plot can be solved in a day by just buying a camera off amazon and overnighting it.
There's no reason that whatever his body does to light should be limited to the visible spectrum :v:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol Elisabeth Moss is in it

Guess she’s being haunted by thetans

Oh no my ex is an SP! (spooky phantom)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol Elisabeth Moss is in it

Guess she’s being haunted by thetans

As a Scientologist she is perfectly capable of defeating an SP (seethrough person)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pilchenstein posted:

There's no reason that whatever his body does to light should be limited to the visible spectrum :v:

Whilst it makes sense it would be allowing IR light through his body, it would also be radiating it just on account of his own body heat. Unless of course the invisimagic stopped that in which case he would overheat and die :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Decrepus posted:

It was a clever satire, not horniness. Ok???

That should be tagline of every Verhoeven film.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Whilst it makes sense it would be allowing IR light through his body, it would also be radiating it just on account of his own body heat. Unless of course the invisimagic stopped that in which case he would overheat and die :v:

Nah, but his shits come out at ten thousand Kelvins

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The talk of invisible optics reminds me of two stories that went in the opposite direction. X: The Man with the Xray Eyes, a really old but fun b-movie, and an episode of Strange Days at Blake Holsey High, where a character makes eye drops that allow him to see through his friends cards in poker. In both cases the serum is cumulative, causing blindness after a while without special equipment to hinder the vision. In X the main character takes to wearing dark glasses everywhere, eventually blindfolding himself, but is unable to escape his enhanced vision, eventually ripping out his own eyes to try to stop it because he's seeing to the ends of the universe and he cannot handle it.

With Strange Days' version of the story it has a neat tension building moment where the character is using his vision to search the antagonist's office for an item, only to run into a table and realise "poo poo, I cannot see this room at all..."

BTW X had amazing eye makeup.

I love that it hides his eyes for the entire movie, but at a few points midway and at the end the blindfold is removed and you see that. It really sells that his eyes are turbo-hosed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
TMWXRE is three one that ends with him seeing yog-sototh, right?

3 lobed burning eye in space, watching you masturbate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TMWXRE is three one that ends with him seeing yog-sototh, right?

3 lobed burning eye in space, watching you masturbate.

It's hard to tell as the dated effects just make it a mess in action. It's still fun though. I liked the movie. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-38qQBofak

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Nah, but his shits come out at ten thousand Kelvins

The Man Who poo poo Plasma would be a great title for a prog rock album.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's hard to tell as the dated effects just make it a mess in action. It's still fun though. I liked the movie. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-38qQBofak

I imagine x-rays were more of a new and exciting thing at the time, making the movie a novelty and an obvious sci-fi topic. Nowadays though this is just quaint.

Although ugh at both the science and ethics of movies/shows acting like x-ray vision would let you see people's naked bodies, and also that its totally cool to spy on people if you can get away with it.

I can vaguely recall an episode of Louis and Clark where Superman hangs out on a rooftop just watching women take showers in the next building over through the walls.
I think it was like evil superman or something though...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Smallville had that, but with the girls' locker room at Clark's school.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
L&C had it, but it was him stopping a guy who had his powers from spying on the chicks in the gym locker room.

Same dude that invented the invisible suit that was covered in thousands of tiny mirrors, making them invisible to the naked eye!

Also, Dean Cain is a gigantic rear end in a top hat nowadays, unfortunately.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Same for Scott baio

What is it with these guys with voyeuristic vision

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Alan Smithee posted:

Same for Scott baio

What is it with these guys with voyeuristic vision
How dare you, Scott Baio's character is beyond reproach. Also it's really important to him that you know his wife was barely legal when he met her:
https://twitter.com/scottbaio/status/754063290238513152
Anyway, everybody loved him in Joanie (legal age) loves Chachi :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/RobynLAWoman/status/754870160775712769

lmao

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Real talk: thermal imaging doesn't allow you to see through walls like the movies.

The Baldwin brother/Cindy Crawford movie Fair Game had a scene where not only did thermal cameras see through walls, but you could defeat them by taking a really cold shower. I don't know a lot about thermal imaging, but I'm pretty sure you have to lower your body temperature to 'death' to avoid being seen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Baldwin brother/Cindy Crawford movie Fair Game had a scene where not only did thermal cameras see through walls, but you could defeat them by taking a really cold shower. I don't know a lot about thermal imaging, but I'm pretty sure you have to lower your body temperature to 'death' to avoid being seen.

A dead and "cold" body can still be detected using thermal imaging.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ice Cube avoids being detected by thermal visors in xXx 2 by hiding in the refrigerator but no one producing those movies cares about anything that isn't ridiculous so its fine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That seems like it'd work, given fridges are specifically designed to keep the temperature sealed in?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Ice Cube avoids being detected by thermal visors in xXx 2 by hiding in the refrigerator but no one producing those movies cares about anything that isn't ridiculous so its fine

Arnie puts on some mud and becomes invisible for the predator.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

But that's also alien tech. For all we know it's not actually thermal vision, but clean vision.

Predators are clean freaks. Just look at how nicely they polish skulls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

The mud could actually work, albeit briefly. Like, it’s something between the IR his body is giving off and the predator’s thermal vision. He would have to keep cooling the mud, though, it wouldn’t be useful once it comes up to temperature.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, Arnie is in a steaming jungle and had just come out of the water (which I assume is cooler than ambient temp), and slathered cold mud on him.

That kinda makes sense, since most thermal cams see in a range around ambient or higher.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Makes sense to me. The Predator probably had his thermal vision set to human temperatures, filtering out ambient and lower.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It only needed to work for about a minute, before the predator got distracted and decided to look elsewhere. It helped that Arnold wasn't moving around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVqsBgOvBI&t=113s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What about Sneakers, when they increase the temperature in the room to 38°C so that Robert Redford can Sneak in and steal Cosmo's box? Would that defeat the thermal sensors of 1992?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, but I think he'd be dead before he got remotely close to being finished, since the suit was built to keep his heat in.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Maybe, but I think he'd be dead before he got remotely close to being finished, since the suit was built to keep his heat in.
He doesn't wear a special suit in Sneakers - Dan Akroyd tells him that he could defeat the sensors by wearing neoprene (or somesuch) but it would suffocate him, so they have to raise the temperature and he has to move incredibly slowly to beat the sensors. God I loved that film as a kid, I should watch it again :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Wafer posted:

But that's also alien tech. For all we know it's not actually thermal vision, but clean vision.

Predators are clean freaks. Just look at how nicely they polish skulls.

Dylan, you son of a bitch :laugh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat, for some reason I had it in my head he was wearing a dive suit.

Haven't seen that movie in years. Need to rewatch it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He does wear sneakers. For sneaking.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Memento posted:

What about Sneakers, when they increase the temperature in the room to 38°C so that Robert Redford can Sneak in and steal Cosmo's box? Would that defeat the thermal sensors of 1992?

drat that sounds really cold

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah maybe to you but what the gently caress would someone named Alan Smithee know about movie making.

:v:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Oh, drat, for some reason I had it in my head he was wearing a dive suit.

Haven't seen that movie in years. Need to rewatch it.

It totally holds up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Despite the ridiculous stuff it's still probably the most fun and realistic hacker movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alan Smithee posted:

its actually hot af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Leavemywife posted:

Makes sense to me. The Predator probably had his thermal vision set to human temperatures, filtering out ambient and lower.

It's great when they try this trick in Predator 2 (I want to say in a meat packing warehouse?) and the Predator just changes the settings on his thermal vision to compensate.