Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTYC: Jon Moxley vs Kenny Omega, AEW Full Gear 11/9

Absolutely, without question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I've seen a lot of death matches so I'll go

HM: Jon Moxley vs Kenny Omega

Just kidding that was loving insane, MOTYC. Wow.

you had me going there in the first half dad

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Nth for Moxley vs Omega

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

HM: YOUNG BUCKS VS PROUD AND POWERFUL: AEW FULL GEAR 10/11

ortiz is nonstop entertainment

HM: Cody vs Jericho AEW Full Gear 11/9

epic

Chris James 2 posted:

absolute freakshow i was engaged throughout

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

DEATHMATCH WRESTLING FOREVER

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
nthing the Omega vs. Mox match as MOTYC

Absolutely insane hardcore match, past the point of excess even. Pretty much every spot in the second half of the match could have been a perfectly fine match ender, and yet they kept ramping things up to higher and higher and more excessively brutal levels.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Riho (C) vs. Emi Sakura for the AEW Women's Championship - AEW Full Gear 11/9

Match was great, it was only let down by the quiet crowd (which I think was a miccing issue) that kinda deflated things a little. In-ring and character-wise though it was excellent and was right on the cusp of a MOTYC.

i missed this one

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

oh but seriously I posted:

HM: Cody vs Jericho AEW Full Gear 11/9
Oh also Nth this because yeah, that poo poo was legit as gently caress

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Riho (C) vs. Emi Sakura for the AEW Women's Championship - AEW Full Gear 11/9
This too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress me that ruled

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've been watching death matches for 20 years. If anyone tells you that was too long and dragged tell them to gently caress off. I've seen matches where Onita spends 5 minutes dragging refs to safety or guys just plod around a rainforest. That loving ruled. They kept introducing crazy poo poo you didn't think they'd go balls out with and then they went as balls out as they'd go in any indie death match. Gross out spots? We got em. Crazy stupid props, we got em. Crazy INSANE props, we got em. And then they tore apart the ring.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

I've been watching death matches for 20 years. If anyone tells you that was too long and dragged tell them to gently caress off. I've seen matches where Onita spends 5 minutes dragging refs to safety or guys just plod around a rainforest. That loving ruled. They kept introducing crazy poo poo you didn't think they'd go balls out with and then they went as balls out as they'd go in any indie death match. Gross out spots? We got em. Crazy stupid props, we got em. Crazy INSANE props, we got em. And then they tore apart the ring.

My favorite hardcore match is Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda in an Explosive Barbed Wire match and half the fun is the teasing, hardcore matches where it's just spot after spot are boring as gently caress.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Sho vs ELP - San Jose Showdown NJPW

Missed a bit cause Full Gear but ELP is such an amazing dick and Sho is going to be the ace of the Junior division next year

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Hot take but I thought Moxley/Omega was a WMOTYC. It dragged on way too long and the crowd was dead for most it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

Hot take but I thought Moxley/Omega was a WMOTYC. It dragged on way too long and the crowd was dead for most it.

Who gave Bryan Alvarez a forum account?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

fatherofmustard posted:

the crowd was dead for most it.

what

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonna HM ELP (C) vs. SHO for the British Cruiserweight Championship at New Japan Showdown: San Jose 11/9 because even though I missed the first half, the back half was so good and the crowd was so hot and the ending was so effective that it felt like a complete match.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 10, 2019

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The crowd was white hot for the entire match and were standing the entire time. He's a troll.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

Gonna nth Mox/Omega for exactly this reason.

Half the fun of watching deathmatches is people spending a long time teasing an insane spot, the crowd begging them not to do it while secretly hoping they do it, and then they do it and get a huge reaction. The whole drama is in the constant push/pull of "are they really gonna do this thing, they can't possibly do it, OH MY GOD THEY DID IT." And this match delivered on pretty much every level you could ask for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The crowd did stop making noise at one point but like, you could actually convince me they were kind of shocked and didn't know what to do because they immediately made noise again once the craziness resumed.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was one woman squealing over everything else that loving made it for me, they probably had zero loving idea what the gently caress was happening

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
MOTYC
Riho v. Emi Sakura, AEW Full Gear
Kenny Omega v. Dean Ambrose, AEW Full Gear

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

MOTYC Omega/Mox Full Gear

nth

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

MOTYC

seconding these

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Gonna HM ELP (C) vs. SHO for the British Heavyweight Championship at New Japan Showdown: San Jose 11/9 because even though I missed the first half, the back half was so good and the crowd was so hot and the ending was so effective that it felt like a complete match.

2nd'd

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Jerusalem posted:

Gonna HM ELP (C) vs. SHO for the British Cruiserweight Championship at New Japan Showdown: San Jose 11/9 because even though I missed the first half, the back half was so good and the crowd was so hot and the ending was so effective that it felt like a complete match.

Saw this live and nth!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chris James 2 posted:

nth, holy christ i was terrified

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AEW, which officially came into existence only this year and has had only a handful of shows so far, now has 1 less MOTYC nominated this year than WWE has managed all year INCLUDING all the NXT MOTYCs from the Takeover shows.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 10, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

NickRoweFillea posted:

MOTYC

Give me that Omega/Ambrose Nth

still unsure about Jericho/Cody, I loved it until the finish, but man that was SUPER GOOD too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Show easily had three MOTYCs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Private Party vs. Lucha Bros vs. SCU, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs. Riho, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Cody vs. Chris Jericho, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley, AEW Full Gear, 09/11

Kenny Omega is insane and we should known not to encourage him to do garbage wrestling

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Non-Sequitur: Kenny and Kota Ibushi in bed like at the end of Newhart. Lamp on the endtable on, they're both in their pajamas and wearing reading glasses. Kenny's playing on his Switch, Kota's trying to read a coloring book...

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

HM: Private Party vs. Lucha Bros vs. SCU, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs. Riho, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Cody vs. Chris Jericho, AEW Full Gear, 09/11
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley, AEW Full Gear, 09/11

Kenny Omega is insane and we should known not to encourage him to do garbage wrestling

nth, kenny is just trying to prove he's crazy enough for ibushi now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherofmustard posted:

Kind of leaning this way myself. Part of it may just be that it's not a style I find that engaging as I like matches more like the women did with the pace ramping up at the end. But the barbed wire net and the v trigger into the set were dumb and killed both the pace and any vague semblance of it being a fight.

Edit: Oh and the screwdriver/icepick was also really, really dumb. It barely looked good on TV while again breaking suspension of disbelief for me. gently caress it, I've talked myself into it:

WMOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Jon Moxley, Lights Out Match, AEW Full Gear, Sept 9 2019

I will also go MOTYC for Riho vs Emi. Rest of the card was good, not great. I didn't love Bucks/PnP as much as y'all because it fell into some of the Bucks worse tendencies to just do a bunch of stuff at the same pace the whole time.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 10, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Here are my AEW Full Gear (9th November) noms

HM: Bucks vs LAX
HM: Private Party vs. Lucha Bros vs. SCU
MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs. Riho
HM: Cody vs. Chris Jericho
HM: Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also to clarify, I'm not EWWWWW BLOOD. I know all the reasons why deathmatch poo poo is arguable safer than King's Road style and so forth. (Honestly, my big issue with the mousetraps is how obvious it is that they're NOT dangerous) It just was slow, plodding and way too fake for me.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Chris James 2 posted:

nth, an easy MOTYC

Also shout-out to Baltimore for being dead for Riho/Sakura:

(apologies if someone already got this joke in, I haven't been keeping up with every AEW thread)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

All of these are for AEW Full Gear

HM: Riho vs Emi Sakura

MOTYC: Cody vs Jericho
MOTYC: Omega vs Moxley

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Dean Ambrose,
that guy's dead. jon moxley killed him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

MOTYC: Beyond the Sea Singles Title Hair vs Hair: Arisa Nakajima (c) vs Nanae Takahashi, SEAdLINNNG Dynamic Show Case! 2019, 2nd November 2019

This is my 2019 match of the year. An intense, bitter battle between two rivals with incredibly high stakes, ending in a moment that it feels like SEAd had been building to since they started. Not going to spoil the finish since that takes something out of it (especially the great post-match), this is something that you all need to watch.

Will nth this, definitely go out of your way to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
MOTYCs

Cody v Jericho
Omega v Moxley

HMs

Bucks v PAP
Private Party v Lucha Bros v SCU