Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

remember when we dodged a bullet at the last minute and didn’t name him the greatest canadian

could you even imagine?

good grief.

priznat posted:

I didn't buy a poppy because I like my coat and don't want to punch holes in it come at me you grey rear end BITCH

i didn't buy a poppy because the legion kinda sucks and their messaging has been far more about venerating the armed forces than a somber reflection on the horrors of war for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

infernal machines posted:

could you even imagine?

good grief.

i didn't buy a poppy because the legion kinda sucks and their messaging has been far more about venerating the armed forces than a somber reflection on the horrors of war for a long time

Yeah also that. It's become a bit of something "good canadians" do on autopilot like buying tim's coffee etc.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

priznat posted:

I didn't buy a poppy because I like my coat and don't want to punch holes in it come at me you grey rear end BITCH

I bought one and stuck it in the sun visor of my car for the same reason

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

I've been blasting the gently caress out of Stan Rogers for the last 3 days and he's so loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_kW9HsQM1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbjEmEifZp4

:canada:

gently caress now I can't get Northwest Passage out of me head

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
How much are they charging for these poppies?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Postess with the Mostest posted:

whatever you want to donate

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know if i've ever worn a poppy that wasn't given to me or found on the floor of a classroom

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I bought one and stuck it in the sun visor of my car for the same reason

I remember a couple years back the legion put out an extremely pissy press release about the RIGHT way to wear a poppy to show sufficient respect and after that I was kind of like "nah"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

..that depends

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

priznat posted:

I remember a couple years back the legion put out an extremely pissy press release about the RIGHT way to wear a poppy to show sufficient respect and after that I was kind of like "nah"

How hard is it for them to put the poppy on a double sided piece of tape like gently caress will I poke holes through my water proof windbreaker

That said a few years back one of them fixed one on my partner's fleece and it was a motherfucker to get removed, so there is a way to do it that is fairly well put in place, unlike all the ones I have dropped on the ground over the years

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

jesus christ

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

the right way: taped to the bottom of your jackboot so you stomp on it forever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

How hard is it for them to put the poppy on a double sided piece of tape like gently caress will I poke holes through my water proof windbreaker

That said a few years back one of them fixed one on my partner's fleece and it was a motherfucker to get removed, so there is a way to do it that is fairly well put in place, unlike all the ones I have dropped on the ground over the years

I had a couple rare earth magnets glued on mine which worked really good and didn't punch any holes but they specifically mentioned using tape or magnets was bad for some reason, laff. So now I just go whatever is it november 12 yet

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

priznat posted:

I had a couple rare earth magnets glued on mine which worked really good and didn't punch any holes but they specifically mentioned using tape or magnets was bad for some reason, laff. So now I just go whatever is it november 12 yet

Well yeah poo poo magnets interrupts the flow of remembrance vibes to our troops laffo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Eox posted:

https://twitter.com/_eddierazo/status/1193335939700887552

Don Cherry never trends on twitter for the reason I hope for

is that even a proper Legion poppy or is he wearing a bootleg one without having donated to them while being performative about it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's also wearing a legion jacket despite, as far as i can tell, never having served

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
stolen valour

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

stolen valour

I mean does he even have a cup ring? Why do we watch this liar?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if your connection to our troops is getting paid to go overseas and put on a show, perhaps you can suck a gently caress when it comes to shaming people about remembrance day

speaking of, some views on why the legion may not be quite what it presents, from 2016

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Nov 10, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Canada SPAM - Dear Coach's Corner,

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Arivia posted:

I mean does he even have a cup ring? Why do we watch this liar?

Coach of the Year in the American League
Coach of the Year in the National League

At least that's why he says we watch him

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I mentioned this in the NHL thread a while back but after constantly hearing that the Maple Leafs were named after a specific WW1-era regiment I decided to verify that claim. Instead it turns out that they were probably just named after a more popular (at the time) baseball team founded in 1896 so their much ballyhooed connection with the military is tenuous at best.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

eXXon posted:

I mentioned this in the NHL thread a while back but after constantly hearing that the Maple Leafs were named after a specific WW1-era regiment I decided to verify that claim. Instead it turns out that they were probably just named after a more popular (at the time) baseball team founded in 1896 so their much ballyhooed connection with the military is tenuous at best.

Same but learning the Red Wings aren't tied to the shoe company

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I can't hate the legion, legion halls are pretty great places to drink, even though technically as a communist I'm not supposed to be allowed in them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

even though technically as a communist I'm not supposed to be allowed in them.

ain't nothin' what it used to be

oh, and take your hat off

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Same but learning the Red Wings aren't tied to the shoe company

Same, but the Ducks.

Not even a single duck in the entire organization. I looked like an idiot throwing bread onto the ice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I will never wear the poppy but I will have a minute of silence remembering the millions murdered by capital in pointless wars.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ardent Communist posted:

I can't hate the legion, legion halls are pretty great places to drink, even though technically as a communist I'm not supposed to be allowed in them.

We've clearly never been to the same legions. Drinking in those places makes me want to blow my brains out. Nothing says fun like drinking poo poo beer at a plastic folding table surrounded by the elderly.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BattleMaster posted:

is that even a proper Legion poppy or is he wearing a bootleg one without having donated to them while being performative about it?

That's one of those stickers they give you of you don't want to poke a hole in your jacket.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm not buying a poppy because
a) it's more plastic detritus
b) the jalopy I bought has one pinned to the upholstery

Also, I wonder if the doctor's moral exemption bullshit could work both ways? What if you're a doctor who loving LOVES aborting, could you open up an abortion megaplex & discount euthanasia center?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Sounds like my vasectomy guy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Virtual Russian posted:

We've clearly never been to the same legions. Drinking in those places makes me want to blow my brains out. Nothing says fun like drinking poo poo beer at a plastic folding table surrounded by the elderly.

C R I B B A G E

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

C R I B B A G E

15 2, 15 4, 15 gently caress you cribbage is cool :mad:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

Don't make fun of his math disability

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arivia posted:

Thought that was self evident. It's a universal upside to old farts + plastic tables + legion.

One of these days I'll get my 24 off of 777A7... one of these days.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't doxx me, tyee.ca

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I didn't get to count this hand because she pegged out first. :bahgawd:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

there’s an anaf in Winnipeg with five dollar beers, vlts and shuffleboard, what more do you need

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
that’s a poo poo pegging hand what were you thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

nationalize all canadian hockey teams, sportsnet and turn don cherry into some sort of lav