Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jonny Shiloh posted:

To me they read like the bullshit sales reports we used to file each month, desperately showing activity and full of hopeful forward looking statements which we knew were a complete load of bollocks...

You don't work there anymore huh....

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Captain B'Tak: *whimpering intensifies*

"they're gonna pvp me!" he thinks, briefly, *rubbing intesifies*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/cLazfRe.gifv

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

These people sound exactly like Elon Musk fans. It's the exact same "he proved the naysayers wrong and always did everything he said he'd do! *covers ears when people list the 871 things that have been blatantly lied about or that failed to happen*" rhetoric.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Guys, I'm playing the secret dev build jesus patch and it's everything Chris has promised.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Damned beautiful cat

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

starkebn posted:

Damned beautiful cat

I thought this one was quite majestic as well. It's a melanistic serval.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Especially since graphics fidelity hits diminishing returns. Each generation now, the improvements are going to be less and less dramatic and noticeable.

This has really been noticeable. It's actually kind of interesting how people from roughly the ages of like 25-40 were probably the generation with the biggest change in video game visuals during their youth. Like, during K-12 I saw the progression from NES to PS2. The PS3 generation is the last console generation that represented what I'd consider a dramatic visual improvement. But there honestly hasn't been a very big improvement in pretty much all the time since I graduated college or so. I mean, it's still kinda noticeable, but when I was younger 10+ years would have represented a huge change.

And I definitely think we've hit the point of significantly diminishing returns largely because even if GPUs improve, it still takes more effort to generate the actual assets. And even in terms of sheer performance, modern hardware really struggles with higher resolutions, with even the most powerful hardware around not being able to run the more taxing games at 4k with max settings and high FPS.

I think the poster who said that Star Citizen people being impressed is because many of these people are adult men who haven't played any games since the 00's (or earlier) was likely spot on.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

One in the Bum posted:

Guys, I'm playing the secret dev build jesus patch and it's everything Chris has promised.

Chris Roberts promised nothing, so I totally believe what you are saying is true.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Chris Roberts promised nothing, so I totally believe what you are saying is true.

He already has overdelivered. Goons are checkmate since 2015.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yu0T9n5uos

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine this level of griefing, but you are also stealing their ship and their gear that they payed real life money for. gently caress I can't wait for this to come out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Thoatse posted:

I thought this one was quite majestic as well. It's a melanistic serval.

It looks like an Egyptian god

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

This has really been noticeable. It's actually kind of interesting how people from roughly the ages of like 25-40 were probably the generation with the biggest change in video game visuals during their youth. Like, during K-12 I saw the progression from NES to PS2. The PS3 generation is the last console generation that represented what I'd consider a dramatic visual improvement. But there honestly hasn't been a very big improvement in pretty much all the time since I graduated college or so. I mean, it's still kinda noticeable, but when I was younger 10+ years would have represented a huge change.

And I definitely think we've hit the point of significantly diminishing returns largely because even if GPUs improve, it still takes more effort to generate the actual assets. And even in terms of sheer performance, modern hardware really struggles with higher resolutions, with even the most powerful hardware around not being able to run the more taxing games at 4k with max settings and high FPS.

I think the poster who said that Star Citizen people being impressed is because many of these people are adult men who haven't played any games since the 00's (or earlier) was likely spot on.

Somewhere around the PS2 or Wii I think we passed the "good enough" threshold for the big masses when it comes to technical improvements, so anything beyond that is likely going to matter to fewer and fewer people. These ever smaller groups of people tend to be the louder ones, though.
Of course, the Citizens are a bit of an odd group, given how they don't seem to know just how far behind Star Citizen might already be falling.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ok. Not a scam. What about a wrecked dumpster fire?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MedicineHut posted:

Ok. Not a scam. What about a wrecked dumpster fire?

A scam without the competence

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've ducked in and out of this thread enjoying the ride like so many others but it bums me out that this game has been so long in development that people have died waiting for it. They wanted a cool space game and probably held out hope that they'd get to play it but there wasn't even a hope in getting a halfway playable alpha with some semblance of a stable gameplay loop :smith:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don’t think he thinks as much as he thinks he knows that he think he knows about the subject.

You know, if recreating a future version of the earth 1:1 is the bar for shutting up naysayers. Just working on the list of actual pledged items would be cushty, Vermin, you absolute tool. Completing anything would go a long way. Not increasing the technical debt would help.

Throwing out a design document for how server meshing is supposed to work, for example.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

7 years into pre-alpha with red flags all over the place, selling virtual land and "pledges" for thousands of idiots' moneys.
Quick answer: Try researching it yourself for a few minutes.
Proper answer: Don't listen to the fudsters. It's not a scam until they actually run with the money. Buy this webcam and this SSD.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

There's a certain type of personality you see a lot online, especially in gaming communities. They are very prone to black-and-white thinking and basically can't handle nuance or context. To them, the word "scam" means "evil person plans and knowingly executes lies and trickery to steal". They don't see evidence which meets this impossible standard so it's "WELL ACTUALLY SIR THATS TECHNICALLY NOT A SCAM". They usually end up becoming alt-right types, where bad-faith arguments serve them well.

It is a scam. Regardless of Chris Robloxs early plans, or conscious awareness of what he and his elite team of Lost Boys are doing, it is functionally a scam.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

zebedy posted:

There's a certain type of personality you see a lot online, especially in gaming communities. They are very prone to black-and-white thinking and basically can't handle nuance or context. To them, the word "scam" means "evil person plans and knowingly executes lies and trickery to steal". They don't see evidence which meets this impossible standard so it's "WELL ACTUALLY SIR THATS TECHNICALLY NOT A SCAM". They usually end up becoming alt-right types, where bad-faith arguments serve them well.

It is a scam. Regardless of Chris Robloxs early plans, or conscious awareness of what he and his elite team of Lost Boys are doing, it is functionally a scam.

It’s not just gaming communities, it’s literally everywhere. We gave idiots megaphones and keep complaining about the noise.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Annabelle 'Boo' Huxley -Why you shouldn't Mine on Daymar after dark! posted:

Mining on Daymar. One of my favourite locations. Skimming the surface with my Prospector and armed with a Multi Tool. The scanning ping picked up a cluster of Gem Nodes and I swung the ship in that direction, the stabilisers complaining and groaning in obedience. Five small rocks sat huddled together, as if for warmth, on the moon’s cold and dusty surface. I brought the ship down and landed softly and stepped out of the pilot’s chair. I stood for a moment staring out of the Prospectors generously capacious plexiglass cockpit; in the distance, sandy foothills rolled up into the stunted mountains. And close by dust devils chased one another across Daymar’s barren surface.

The outer airlock door whirled and strained as it opened and I stepped out onto ladder and then down onto the moon’s surface, where the rocks waited patiently to be mined. I crossed the distance from my ship to the gem nodes and set about my work. Flipping the Multi Tool into action the scan showed the rocks contained Hadanite, and there were 5 of them. Bingo! My luck was in, and if it held there was a tidy sum to be had: a haul worth approximately 13k aUEC. That would pay for my fuel, repairs to the port side engine, next years insurance and those new shoes at Terra I’d seen.
The first 4 nodes gave up their booty easily enough and I’d eagerly stored them away in my Rucksack. One more node to go and then home. I stood up and stretched and paused for a second and looked around .. the dust devils had died down and the temperature outside my suit had dropped considerably. I spun around on my heels to look over to the range of dwarf mountains in the West. To my horror I saw the sun was slipping silently down toward the horizon. The light was leaving the sky!

I’d been so intent on mining the Hadanite I’d forgotten to set my Mobi alarm for sunset. I looked back at the remaining Hadanite node, it’s long shadow stretching out behind it, and then once again at the setting sun. ‘I’d have time if I moved quickly. Sure I would..just enough time to mine it and get back to my ship.’ I hustled back down into a crouch in front of the rock and snatched the Multi Tool back up, activating the fracture beam. ‘Come on..come on..come on.’

I moved the beam in closer. Not a safe thing to do, but..and turned the laser power to 100%. The rock super heated and jitter-ed in the fracture beam’s intense light. I risked another glance over my shoulder and saw the sun had already started to dip behind the mountain tops. There was a pop and bang as crisped rock chips struck the back of my helmet! I turned back to the node just in time to see the gauge on the sweet spot climb into Overheat! I slapped at the Multitool, quickly shifting the beam off the rock and into the sand. But not quickly enough..

..the rock exploded! Sending shards and gems stones skyward and me 15 meters backward onto my arse. I sat there for a few seconds, dazed and in pain. My ankle had bent beneath my fall and the pain there flared like a glow stick. I fumbled for a Medipen and jabbed it ruthlessly into my thigh. I struggled to my feet. ‘poo poo and gently caress it!’

I looked at the scattered gem stones whose smooth angled facets winked in the final light of the day. I looked back at my ship some 60 meters away. I wondered if I had time topick them all up? It was then I heard the first of them!

To my right the sand around one of the larger inert rocks began to move and vibrate. A muffled rhythmic base thrumming rose into the cold twilight air. To my left more movement and a joining-in of the thrumming chorus. I turned meaning to flee toward the Prospector, but as my left foot hit the ground the pain in my ankle folded my leg beneath me and I collapsed to the ground in agony.

I threw a glance over my shoulder toward the increasingly loud thrumming. On my right, rising from beneath the dusty cold sand, was some hideous home-brew monstrosity..a giant pincer tipped with serrated teeth thrust up into the air from beneath the sand and below it stood three darkly blind eyes on rigid livid stalks. I flung myself toward the Prospector and forced myself to stand and bear the pain in my ankle. I lurched forward..expecting at any moment to feel the cold hard grip of one of those abhorrent, cold-blooded monsters, clamp down on me from behind. I neither dared nor could afford a look behind me. The thrumming was louder now and seemed to be converging from different direction behind me. I could feel the sand around my feet starting to quake. It vibrated violently making it feel like quicksand. ‘This is the story of me’ I thought. ‘This is how I end.’

Then without thinking I clutched at the 6 glow sticks fastened by the circlet on my belt and as I made for the ship I ignited one after another, dropping them behind me as I moved. I knew they couldn’t stand the daylight so maybe, just maybe, they would have to detour around the brightness of the glow sticks. The thrumming died momentarily, replaced by an irritated chittering. I was almost at the ship. I threw the automatics at the door and watched it clunk open and the long ladder descend.

I hurled myself at the bottom rungs and began to climb. How could I have been so stupid? I knew the dangerous here on Daymar! Knew what the risks were! I got my feet onto the bottom steps and began to climb. And here was the most terrifying part..the sudden and fragile hope! I’d began to think I could make it. That I might escape a horrific and dismembering death. Then the ladder shuddered as if hit by a hammer blow. The vibration ran along the metal frame, through my fingers and down my body to my crippled ankle. I let out a scream, my left hand letting go of the ladder. I hung in the air and could not stop myself from looking down!

The first of the creatures had clamped the larger of it’s two pincers on the bottom rung of the ladder. Five more of these monstrosities scuttled back and forth around the foot of the ladder, each vibrating frantically. The sight spurred me on and regaining my grip I climbed the remaining steps to the top of the ladder and slapped at the flat metal pad that would give me access and the safety of the airlock. But as I fell inside I realised with horror that this would also raise the ladder along with whatever was attached to it.

I slid through the cockpit door and strapped myself into the pilot’s seat. I quick started the engines and punched the controls to get lift. The Prospector rose lazily and slowly into the icy night sky. I kept the thrusters in VTOL position and hit the boosters without allowing the ship to climb any further. ‘I’d cook the little fuckers alive!’ I spun the ship around scorching the ground below..without realising it I’d started to laugh hysterically. I was alive! I’d escaped! I rotated the engines and propelled the craft upward into the night sky and space.

The stars appeared and Daymar receded. I relaxed a little, drawing a great shuddering sigh of relief. I checked the ship’s systems and secured the Multi Tool and stowed the Rucksack. Allowing myself a little smile I fired up the QNav and punched in a route for Port Olisar. The engine’s throttling noise died down to a whisper as the ship prepared for the jump..at which point I thought I could hear, coming from the space between the outer airlock door and the inner, a low thrumming noise..!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/why-you-shouldn-t-mine-on-daymar-after-dark

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yup,thats some insanely terrible writing alright

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Managed to track down this old gem in time for the citizen con.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tippis posted:

:five: :five:

:smuggo:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tl;dr: Dreams

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Gonna post my story in a bit about mining after dark

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why you shouldn't Mine on Daymar after dark!
It's poo poo

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Never CIG's fault? This has to be an employee.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tippis posted:

Just started watching Doom Patrol and when i saw the name Alan Tudyk i thought, that name is familiar. Then i saw the actor and it was like, fricking Firefly of course.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

7 years into pre-alpha with red flags all over the place, selling virtual land and "pledges" for thousands of idiots' moneys.
Quick answer: Try researching it yourself for a few minutes.
Proper answer: Don't listen to the fudsters. It's not a scam until they actually run with the money. Buy this webcam and this SSD.

This, Chris isn't a scammer to backers because he has investors, has employees and didn't disappear with the Kickstarter cash, ignoring the biggest scams require these to sucker the most cautious people of cash.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Agony Aunt posted:

Just started watching Doom Patrol and when i saw the name Alan Tudyk i thought, that name is familiar. Then i saw the actor and it was like, fricking Firefly of course.

I think you mean A Knight's Tale :colbert:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

This never gets old :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Gonna post my story in a bit about mining after dark

You should name it the gentlecat and the config file.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But will people be able to mime after dark in SC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Can you crowdfund enough money to pay this person to never write again