Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's great when they try this trick in Predator 2 (I want to say in a meat packing warehouse?) and the Predator just changes the settings on his thermal vision to compensate.

As I remember it, Gary Busey and his government guys are wearing shiny tinfoil outfits that are supposed to reflect the heat, so it cannot be seen by the Predator. It does not end well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Predator 2 gets a bad rap for some reason, but I've always really liked it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Beachcomber posted:

the third act stuff is hella good

I think the beginning features just about every 80s racial stereotype around

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea it's extremely racist even for its time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Memento posted:

What about Sneakers, when they increase the temperature in the room to 38°C so that Robert Redford can Sneak in and steal Cosmo's box? Would that defeat the thermal sensors of 1992?

Years ago I saw a show that tested this (I think it was testing a similar sequence in the Thomas Crown Affair, but same basic premise). Presented by Robert Llewellyn, google tells me it was an open university programme and I've not been able to find clips from it. They tested various things, mainly from the movies, like a sort of proto-mythbusters (Another one I remember is them seeing if "standing on a wetsuit" was enough to protect you from an electric shock as in Deep Blue Sea). Anyway, they built a (fairly small) room, put a thermal sensor in it and turned up the heat.

They spent ages failing repeatedly at this method, before finally saying (I think) something like "This is technically possible, but REALLY precise, and unlikely to work in practice". Not to mention how much energy it takes to heat a large room to human body temperature. The last thing they tried was, instead of faffing with the heat, just throwing a double duvet over the presenters head and having him just walk into the room, shuffle over to the painting and take it off the wall, then shuffle out backwards. That worked first time. Basically because of the insulating layers the outside layer of the duvet take too long to heat up enough for thermal sensors of 1992 to react to.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would very much like to see Kryten playing proto-mythbusters if anyone can find a copy of these videos.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Memento posted:

I would very much like to see Kryten playing proto-mythbusters if anyone can find a copy of these videos.

Looks like the show was 'Hollywood Science':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Science

I can't find much on youtube but that is the only place I looked.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SiKboy posted:

The last thing they tried was, instead of faffing with the heat, just throwing a double duvet over the presenters head and having him just walk into the room, shuffle over to the painting and take it off the wall, then shuffle out backwards. That worked first time. Basically because of the insulating layers the outside layer of the duvet take too long to heat up enough for thermal sensors of 1992 to react to.

Would like to see the next Mission Impossible feature this method of incursion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

Mission Possible

breaking into the Scientology archives to steal their platinum texts of L Ron Hubbard's insane loving ramblings using bic pens and whatever amateur hour poo poo gleaned from a lockpicking lawyer youtube vid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

Mission Possible

breaking into the Scientology archives to steal their platinum texts of L Ron Hubbard's insane loving ramblings using bic pens and whatever amateur hour poo poo gleaned from a lockpicking lawyer youtube vid

That title sounds like a Kim Possible movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

And then the duvet takes off it's mask and surprise, its a comforter.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Wafer posted:

And then the duvet takes off it's mask and surprise, its a comforter.

The real comforter was busy exfiltrating a mattress

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I posted this in the actual Alien thread, but this is a weird thing that I just thought of about the Alien series of films.

Now given what we know of their life-cycle, (Queen lays egg, somebody/something pokes their face in the egg, that somebody something gets "infected", may or may not be gooed into a wall, xenomorph bursts out of chest to start the cycle anew), I was wondering how self sustainable an isolated hive would be.

What happens when the xenomorphs have killed/cocooned all the suitable life in the area, (as happened in Aliens before the marines showed up), and therefore the eggs have no creatures to infect and keep creating more xenomorphs? Wouldn't the hive just wither out and die with no new hosts around? Or is it forced to expand and expand, until the only living things are xenomorphs.

I know the egg in Alien, (and also the ones in the first Aliens vs Predator) had been sitting there for years and years, lying dormant waiting for a host, so that is possible. But the hive around that crashed spaceship was long dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I posted this in the actual Alien thread, but this is a weird thing that I just thought of about the Alien series of films.

Now given what we know of their life-cycle, (Queen lays egg, somebody/something pokes their face in the egg, that somebody something gets "infected", may or may not be gooed into a wall, xenomorph bursts out of chest to start the cycle anew), I was wondering how self sustainable an isolated hive would be.

What happens when the xenomorphs have killed/cocooned all the suitable life in the area, (as happened in Aliens before the marines showed up), and therefore the eggs have no creatures to infect and keep creating more xenomorphs? Wouldn't the hive just wither out and die with no new hosts around? Or is it forced to expand and expand, until the only living things are xenomorphs.

I know the egg in Alien, (and also the ones in the first Aliens vs Predator) had been sitting there for years and years, lying dormant waiting for a host, so that is possible. But the hive around that crashed spaceship was long dead.

The queen in the first AvP was the same one the predators used thousands of years ago too right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I always thought they were deliberately designed to NOT be self-sustainable. So you can use them to obliterate a population and then move in yourself after the planet's dead. But I might have made that up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is the problem any parasite/infection is going to have. Spread too vioently and you kill off your host population. Look at ebola - you don't get the same global pandemics that you get with flu or other respiratory poo poo, because it kills you too fast.

Alternate answer: it's a metaphor for imperialim/capitalist expansion

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I vaguely recall something about facehuggers latching onto alien drones when no other prey is found nearby and sometimes you get twin or triplet chestbursters. Pretty sure thats from AvP books in the 90's.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beachcomber posted:

It also has my favorite tag line of all time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While Xenomorphs were best left unexplained, a lot makes sense about them being bioweapons. Presumably the eggs have ridiculously long shelf lives and won't hatch until they detect some movement/heat nearby that could be a new host.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The eggs and facehuggers are able to sit in stasis until something triggers a reaction. Maybe xenomorphs are actually horrifying parasitic tardigrades.

Len posted:

The queen in the first AvP was the same one the predators used thousands of years ago too right?

Unless the predators would come by to replace the dead queens every hundred or so years, yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beachcomber posted:

It's awesome. Predator is a better movie but the second one is more fun.

Krankenstyle posted:

Yea it's extremely racist even for its time.

So it's an accurate portrayal of the future

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mom and Dad was a surprisingly funny Nic Cage movie. The only real IMM was the son, who was smart enough to steal his dad's gun and hide with it and even shoot his mom, but still kept setting his parents off by crying Mom or Dad at the worst times. That and the maternity ward scene: since it's somewhat known parents are going to try and kill their kids, WHY are those dads allowed to stare at the window like that, clearly ready to snap?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's awesome. Predator is a better movie but the second one is more fun.

So it's an accurate portrayal of the future

1992 was the high water mark for violent crime in the US. That's why so many 80s and 90s films portray the future as incredibly crime ridden.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wrong thread!

e; content
Alita Battle Angel, I can't get through the movie, the eyes.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Nov 10, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beachcomber posted:

1992 was the high water mark for violent crime in the US. That's why so many 80s and 90s films portray the future as incredibly crime ridden.

Really I just meant more the future would be super racist, not that the stereotypes are true.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't watch Superstore but do they have an episode an where they talk about how the store uses a brown paper bag test to hire employees?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gaunab posted:

I don't watch Superstore but do they have an episode an where they talk about how the store uses a brown paper bag test to hire employees?

Not so far but they're pretty good about the retail stuff and they're currently going through a storyline about the employees trying to unionize and corporate office calling ICE on them as a punishment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really I just meant more the future would be super racist, not that the stereotypes are true.

No, I was just sort of throwing it out there about movies that assumed we'd be having gang warfare in the streets by 1997.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Parasite: how did the Kims’ cellphones survive that flood?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's a part in El Camino where a character is lighting his way through a darkened room with a cigarette lighter. Then he finds a flashlight, and shuts off the cigarette lighter by blowing out the flame. Instead of just taking his thumb off the button.

In Glass, why is the part where there's a movie so incredibly loving boring all the time?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Nov 11, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phanatic posted:

In Glass, why is the part where there's a movie so incredibly loving boring all the time?

you forgot to turn the TV on

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

No, I was just sort of throwing it out there about movies that assumed we'd be having gang warfare in the streets by 1997.

My favorite example of this is the Double Dragon movie, which is an extremely good movie.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Quote isn't edit!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My favorite example of this is the Double Dragon movie, which is an extremely good movie.

Woops, sorry folks, this poster has broken, we'll have to get a new one in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Memento posted:

Woops, sorry folks, this poster has broken, we'll have to get a new one in.

Forums are full actually

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In midsommar yes they have an orgy and show full frontal male nudity which is rare but they really missed the boat by not showing actual penetration I mean I paid my money don’t cheat me here fellas

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

oldpainless posted:

In midsommar yes they have an orgy and show full frontal male nudity which is rare but they really missed the boat by not showing actual penetration I mean I paid my money don’t cheat me here fellas

The 7 hour long directors cut basically just adds all the penetration that was left on the cutting room floor back in and little else.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Out to the fields, back to the church, full penetration.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
...until it just sort of....ends..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is it really what you thought it was though

Just cuz someone else touched him during