Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

At her age there's no way she's putting injuries like that into the "win" column no matter how much money she gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If it makes other racists scared to be racist in future, we all win.

Thank you for your service.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can we all just agree that she deserved to get hit, and we are really just arguing over whether doing so was a good idea?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
This was ages ago but there was a similar case where somebody called a dude the n-word in front of his kid while at the beach and got the poo poo kicked out of him. Forgot the exact ruling but the court basically said "Look, you can't pull that poo poo and not expect to get a reaction, even a physical one."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can we all just agree that she deserved to get hit, and we are really just arguing over whether doing so was a good idea?

I'm pretty sure zero people are arguing that the guy doing so was a good idea

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

This was ages ago but there was a similar case where somebody called a dude the n-word in front of his kid while at the beach and got the poo poo kicked out of him. Forgot the exact ruling but the court basically said "Look, you can't pull that poo poo and not expect to get a reaction, even a physical one."

yeah but things aren't looking too hot for him in a Tennessee county that's 80% white

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cpt_Obvious posted:

eh, if he just hit her maybe. Not nine fractures in her elbow, six broken ribs and a broken left leg.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Some penalty for him for assaulting her.

No liability for her injuries because she initiated it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Taerkar posted:

Some penalty for him for assaulting her.

No liability for her injuries because she initiated it.

Community service at an old folks home. They need the company.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ManBoyChef posted:

This is something I have been thinking about too. I am a chef. I have worked in restaurants for about twenty years. What I have noticed is that they are cutting cooks and dishwashers and just having their best people do the work of two people for the same price. This is very common at chain restaurants. A good example is at Ruby Tuesdays. There used to be a salad bar position in which you stock and keep the salad bar cleaned as well as prep the items for the salad bar. There was also a dish washer position. Now they have combined the two positions so that the dishwasher is also doing the salad bar. Now that person is constantly running and always behind. If you have ever worked in a restaurant that doesn't feel to good. The position still pays ~8 p/h.

I could imagine them doing this in all professions.

They are definitely doing it in almost all professions. The usual seems to be for the retirement to happen, people get asked to take on the duties of the retiree "until we can hire a replacement", and then that replacement never gets hired. If those people are lucky they get a small boost in pay next review (which is nowhere near commiserate with their extra responsibilities) but usually the allocated money goes away with the FTE position.

But this is complicated by the fact that companies pulled exactly the same move in response to the financial crisis. The existing employees are already being run ragged so companies risk completely wrecking their morale and spiking turnover if they pull the move. That doesn't stop them of course.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shifty Pony posted:

They are definitely doing it in almost all professions. The usual seems to be for the retirement to happen, people get asked to take on the duties of the retiree "until we can hire a replacement", and then that replacement never gets hired. If those people are lucky they get a small boost in pay next review (which is nowhere near commiserate with their extra responsibilities) but usually the allocated money goes away with the FTE position.

But this is complicated by the fact that companies pulled exactly the same move in response to the financial crisis. The existing employees are already being run ragged so companies risk completely wrecking their morale and spiking turnover if they pull the move. That doesn't stop them of course.

My current employer is currently in the 'Start cutting headcount' response to a funding crisis. This is of course after years of letting an entire section of this company spend money without concern.

I'm job hunting again.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Gort posted:

If it makes other racists scared to be racist in future, we all win.

Fear doesn't stop bigots, it just validates them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sardine Wit posted:

Regardless of this particular case - nah, it definitely does. It's antifa 101

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sardine Wit posted:

fear literally stops bigots from being bigoted in public. I don't give a poo poo if they go home and scream the n-word into their pillow or whatever, the point is to make them have to pretend to be functional humans in public.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, but was the attack back instant after the insult was said or later on?
This guy followed her out and then super slammed her from behind.
Sure shes a bitch, but for him its is a worse situation than doing it when she said it first.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

getting paid basically nothing to deal with unimaginable garbage from the worst people on a no doubt daily basis especially with the chicken sandwich bullshit,

I’m sorry, what is this about Popeyes employees catching poo poo for selling chicken at a chicken restaurant?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ManBoyChef posted:

This is something I have been thinking about too. I am a chef. I have worked in restaurants for about twenty years. What I have noticed is that they are cutting cooks and dishwashers and just having their best people do the work of two people for the same price. This is very common at chain restaurants. A good example is at Ruby Tuesdays. There used to be a salad bar position in which you stock and keep the salad bar cleaned as well as prep the items for the salad bar. There was also a dish washer position. Now they have combined the two positions so that the dishwasher is also doing the salad bar. Now that person is constantly running and always behind. If you have ever worked in a restaurant that doesn't feel to good. The position still pays ~8 p/h.

I could imagine them doing this in all professions.

It's worse in contract food service, where managerial positions across all major companies are being consolidated as some portion of their duties is now considered automated low-skilled and the rest of the duties passed down to hourly supervisors making a few $s more an hour over the part time prep cooks.

I've had friends responsible for $1m+ pieces of business have their jobs eliminated and the client interaction duties pushed on to the district manager, so there is no actual managerial leadership on site day to day beyond an hourly supervisor with way more to do than they can get accomplished in their workday. Add to that the cutting of support roles that used to be designed to identify, shore up and help alleviate operational deficiencies, which are now pushed onto the district manager or remaining location/general managers, and lol I am patiently waiting for some super fun foodborne illness outbreaks.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sardine Wit posted:

No, fear of violence does in fact stop bigots from doing their thing

Like this obviously isnt 1:1 with the situation being discussed now, but that's just a wrong statement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Taerkar posted:

My current employer is currently in the 'Start cutting headcount' response to a funding crisis. This is of course after years of letting an entire section of this company spend money without concern.

I'm job hunting again.

Better than my wife's employer in the healthcare sector which has constantly been pleading poverty while going on an acquisition spree and still posting record profits. The position of anyone who leaves goes away until the front line managers kick up enough fuss or financial fallout happens (like when they eliminated the position for an insurance billing expert, penny wise six-figures foolish that one was).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sardine Wit posted:

They'll still be racist, but less public about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
early morning precoffee posting on the subject of bullshit penny wise pound stupid accounting:

Remember when a water park gave a guy a promotion and promised a slight increase in wage but just gave him more work? and then he ghosted them a for a week and made more money being a pizza driver and the water park had to close for a few weeks losing sveral million dollars of lost rev which was several orders greater than the several years of the promised wage increase

Also lol punching nazis is good, god why does this branch of the goon hive mind keep questioning fundamental truths.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I would argue that the only viable path to address the steady degradation of work conditions is for the body politic to start doing disruptive strikes which explicitly target vulnerable logistics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/angry_gram/status/1193508361884573698

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fallom posted:

I’m sorry, what is this about Popeyes employees catching poo poo for selling chicken at a chicken restaurant?
their new chicken sandwich has been an insane success to the point that they haven't even had stock for months in many places. The one near me has had a perpetual "no chicken sandwich sorry!" sign in the window for over a month now, but idiots always manage to miss the sign.

It's like if the whopper was so popular they ran out of the meat for them for weeks at a time. And the employees get to endure the poo poo from the customers who don't see the sign saying they don't have it. Sure plenty will be like "oh that's a shame, ok I'll check later" but you will always have that one person who can't handle being told they can't buy a thing

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Prester Jane posted:

I would argue that the only viable path to address the steady degradation of work conditions is for the body politic to start doing disruptive strikes which explicitly target vulnerable logistics.

p good description of the popeyes guy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

They'll still be racist, but less public about it.

Which is still a win.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Can't wait the tweets and Fox News specials against the anti-american Pentagon :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Which is still a win.

It's realistically the only win possible, barring a tiny percentage of Damascus moments

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Shifty Pony posted:

Better than my wife's employer in the healthcare sector which has constantly been pleading poverty while going on an acquisition spree and still posting record profits. The position of anyone who leaves goes away until the front line managers kick up enough fuss or financial fallout happens (like when they eliminated the position for an insurance billing expert, penny wise six-figures foolish that one was).

Dear faculty, we are too broke to hire more of you or pay the adjuncts a living wage. In other news, we've acquired several new properties near campus and the innovation center is opening in the spring!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

oxsnard posted:

Watch a white woman in Tennessee get absolutely wrecked for calling a Popeyes employee the N-word

https://abc13.com/5686709

That's going to be really awkward when all those employees are back on shift together. That's a fast food job war story you don't want to have.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 10, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

nah it's something entirely harmless that really gets under old people's leathery skin so it really took off because everyone is realizing it's All The Olds's Fault
of course.

Ah fair enough, it is just hard not to question devisive memes these days.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pure malice

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I worked at a non-profit hospital many years ago. There was a Mexican American guy, Jose, who had been there for decades and was the facility paint guy. Everyone knew and loved him, as he had a warm personality and was always happy to be on the job. He was probably 60 or so and fell over dead one day. The day after the CEO of the hospital sent out an email to everyone that went something like "Today we mourn the loss of our dear friend and coworker Jose XXX. who passed away yesterday. (Blah blah blah some sentence about how he had been there for years). However, in positive news, I am thrilled to announce today that our Hospital received the single largest donation in our 100 year history, courtesy of the Dead Rich Guy foundation (Several paragraphs about money being good for the hospital's cause)"

I'll never forget that day and it basically killed my edgy libertarian beliefs in one fell swoop

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Pure malice

Why is this tweet from four years ago suddenly being posted again?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Politico has an interesting article about Joe Arpaio's progressive legacy, which is all the people who he pissed off enough to get engaged in politics. Some good news coming out of Arizona, of all places.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Old racists were once young racists yelling slurs at the Little Rock 5, the Greensboro sit ins etc. If you think otherwise you're a naive moron and I have exactly zero sympathy for that old crone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ah fair enough, it is just hard not to question devisive memes these days.

It's not the memes doing the divisiveness

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Prester Jane posted:

The number one thing stopping this is the degree of personal risk it places upon the workers to strike like that. Most people in this country live only a missed paycheck away from economic disaster.

This is intentional.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Koalas March posted:

Old racists were once young racists yelling slurs at the Little Rock 5, the Greensboro sit ins etc. If you think otherwise you're a naive moron
Actually, racist verbal abuse and sexual disinhibition are incredibly common presentations in both psychiatric and geriatric healthcare settings, and very often don't reflect pre-morbid personality or behaviour. No-one sensible would medically assess someone by security cam, but the quoted general statement is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

oxsnard posted:

Watch a white woman in Tennessee get absolutely wrecked for calling a Popeyes employee the N-word

https://abc13.com/5686709

"If she said something she regrets" is the dumbest take ever. She is only going to regret it because she got sent to the school of hard knocks, otherwise she would be perfectly happy to keep calling folks racial slurs until poo poo got real.