Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Stupid statement, but the troll challenge is really loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I did my first 3 troll challenges yesterday without too much trouble with about 6k each in my Power/Adventure/Wandos/Gold NGUs. It took me to the second TC before I realized that I needed to restart my basic training stuff whenever a troll killed my energy.

As for the guy at the beardverse wall, I think 3:1 energy:magic is probably way too much magic. Feel free to grow your energy side a bit more to help you grind out the Adventure stat NGUs you'll need to do beard stuff / Waldoop.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Oodles posted:

please, tell me more

:allears:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oodles posted:

The other night 4G said if enough people ping him about this in the discord he’ll make them less annoying

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

skull mask mcgee posted:

The other night 4G said if enough people ping him about this in the discord he'll make them less annoying

that's gotta be reverse psychology

also somethingggg since you gave me the AP pack (thanks again!) I now have your name in adventure instead of "Guest", which makes me laugh

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're on Steam, that'll fix itself apparently after a restart, so he said (I forgot to check earlier.) If Kong, then :shrug:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im looking forward to Sadistic challenge rewards because i can nuke to boss 89 on a fresh rebirth meaning ill be able to get the 1st troll challenge right off the bat.
:smug:

Dont you DARE to change it so the first troll gives no real rewards :colbert:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Dont you DARE to change it so the first troll gives no real rewards :colbert:

Sounds like a request to me

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

only the last troll challenge gives a reward and the reward is the boss multiplier is reduced by half while in a troll challenge.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The main frustrating thing about troll challenges is that they require a sort of active play that’s not required for any other part of the game. Once you get to a certain degree of power, they’re really quite manageable but you still gotta babysit it and I just don’t have the time to do that for as long as it takes to blow through all seven challenges, which is why I’ve been doing them over time.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Inversely, the fact that you only need to do 'em 7 times tops per difficulty means they never wear thin the way the rest of the challenges do. Sure, No TM/NGU/Whatever are far more aligned with core game-play but you're also tediously repeating them a bunch more times than is necessary for far smaller incremental rewards (or just shooting for something truly good with the final completion).

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

KazigluBey posted:

Inversely, the fact that you only need to do 'em 7 times tops per difficulty means they never wear thin the way the rest of the challenges do. Sure, No TM/NGU/Whatever are far more aligned with core game-play but you're also tediously repeating them a bunch more times than is necessary for far smaller incremental rewards (or just shooting for something truly good with the final completion).

This is also true.

In short, challenges are a land of contrasts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meinberg posted:

In short, challenges are loving garbage other than troll and blind

ftfy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even when I'm knocking out challenges in two 3-minute rebirths they still take way too long and are way too slow.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Challenges would be fine if they didn’t have the three min rebirth limit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Challenges would also be fine if you could stack them and do multiple at once. I like bounties in Destiny 2 because you can pick up like 40 of them at once and complete a bunch at the same time. If I could do a 24 hr challenge and a blind challenge at the same time that'd be neat. Or if I could reach the #20 completion mark in the 24 hour challenge in one run, give me credit for all the ones before it too rather than make me restart from scratch for each completion of the challenge.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Challenges would also be fine if you could stack them and do multiple at once. I like bounties in Destiny 2 because you can pick up like 40 of them at once and complete a bunch at the same time. If I could do a 24 hr challenge and a blind challenge at the same time that'd be neat. Or if I could reach the #20 completion mark in the 24 hour challenge in one run, give me credit for all the ones before it too rather than make me restart from scratch for each completion of the challenge.

Or let you choose which version of the challenge you’re going after. Choose boss 140 if you just want the completion award, or choose the lowest boss if you want all the exp and AP along the way

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I like this idea of just setting it to the highest possible and going for it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KazigluBey posted:

I’m not sure how you avoid trapping dumb newbies who go for the highest boss that would take them years with time machine turned off or whatever

Maybe add a 24-hour timer to use the feature?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Devor posted:

I’m not sure how you avoid trapping dumb newbies who go for the highest boss that would take them years with time machine turned off or whatever

Maybe add a 24-hour timer to use the feature?

You can already quit challenges.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

something posted:

please, tell me more

:allears:

two nights ago i spent about four hours trying to get from boss 96 to boss 99. i got seconds from killing 99 at least twice when i was trolled with a 'no beards' or 'no ngu'.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I remember back in the day when Troll challenges were first introduced it was possible that a Big Troll timer countdown could hit zero and not give you a troll at all, which of course made me insanely paranoid and caused me to frantically click around trying to figure out what had changed. I'm still a little mad that something fixed that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Buzkashi posted:

I remember back in the day when Troll challenges were first introduced it was possible that a Big Troll timer countdown could hit zero and not give you a troll at all, which of course made me insanely paranoid and caused me to frantically click around trying to figure out what had changed. I'm still a little mad that something fixed that.
As someone who doesn't play the game I thought that bug was going to stick around forever because it sounded hilarious.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

Sometimes the biggest troll is no troll at all
--king of trolling

Which reminds me, should I message something on discord for my free goon stuff?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KazigluBey posted:

Quoting this for truth.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I swear we have this exact same conversation about challenges every two months

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We haven't had it for a while because everyone eventually finished them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I half want to write some sort of AHK script to automate the fixed target ones.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I half want to write some sort of AHK script to automate the fixed target ones.

They exist, on the discord.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I did my first troll challenge the other day and had a blast. I like challenges in general but haven't done a ton of clears yet.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

NGU: Looking at going into Evil for the first time. Should I be pushing to get my E:M ratio to 1:1 or should I just go for it? Currently have about 132 billion EC/51 MC at the suggested cap/power/bar ratios.

EDIT: with equipment

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Malmesbury Monster posted:

NGU: Looking at going into Evil for the first time. Should I be pushing to get my E:M ratio to 1:1 or should I just go for it? Currently have about 132 billion EC/51 MC at the suggested cap/power/bar ratios.

EDIT: with equipment

Hi me about two weeks ago. I went in with a 3:1 ratio, and moved to a 2:1 in the last week. Seems to be about right.

Magic sucks for a while when you start evil so more energy seems solid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ just go for it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on v4, I finally took him down (probably waited longer than I needed to) and the key ended up being pumping Adventure Quirk II and also spending all my experience on adventure stats which I had forgotten you could do but my exp gain had gotten to the point where it was actually a significant bump in my base numbers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Heya something - would it be possible for NGU to count when I put my computer to sleep or hibernate as 'offline', even if I didn't close NGU first? Sometimes I forget and then NGU doesn't progress overnight.

Also is there a difference in advancement speed between running one energy and one magic beard vs. two energy or two magic? (Other than normal magic vs. energy speed/power)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 11, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mozi posted:

Heya something - would it be possible for NGU to count when I put my computer to sleep or hibernate as 'offline', even if I didn't close NGU first? Sometimes I forget and then NGU doesn't progress overnight.

Also is there a difference in advancement speed between running one energy and one magic beard vs. two energy or two magic? (Other than normal magic vs. energy speed/power)

Beards slow down as you run more of the same type, so running 1 magic + 1 energy will in some sense be "faster". However:

- When you're first getting beards, your magic is pretty poo poo compared to your energy, so running two energy beards and zero magic ones is still going to give you more levels overall.
- When you're first getting into beards, the magic beards themselves are pretty poo poo compared to the energy ones - you probably want to use them just enough that you reach the 1000-permanent-levels softcap, and then forget about them until way later, while you focus on the energy beards (particularly adventure stats and drop rate).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Beards slow down as you run more of the same type, so running 1 magic + 1 energy will in some sense be "faster". However:

- When you're first getting beards, your magic is pretty poo poo compared to your energy, so running two energy beards and zero magic ones is still going to give you more levels overall.
- When you're first getting into beards, the magic beards themselves are pretty poo poo compared to the energy ones - you probably want to use them just enough that you reach the 1000-permanent-levels softcap, and then forget about them until way later, while you focus on the energy beards (particularly adventure stats and drop rate).

iirc the slowdown is proportional

if you're running 2 beards of the same type levellling is done at 1/2 speed and takes twice as long, 3 beards is 1/3 speed, and 4 beards would be 1/4 speed

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

iirc the slowdown is proportional

if you're running 2 beards of the same type levellling is done at 1/2 speed and takes twice as long, 3 beards is 1/3 speed, and 4 beards would be 1/4 speed

Don't forget that the cost to level is exponential, though. If you hit level 100 at full speed, half speed will be like level 80 or 90 or something. More than half anyway.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Seems Incremancer is coming along nicely. More automation, golems, zombie/civilian/police/army stats, and trophies.
Could be worth another look for folks who tried it before and ran out of things to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'll give it another go later, thanks for the update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Incremancer increments: They added several QoL features for better idling, you have an AutoConstruction that goes through your cheaper buildings up to your most expensive ones, the Zombie Cages have an Auto Release toggle, the Runes now have an upgrade where _% of your income is added for free into each tier. The Graveyard has some basic trophies, where every 5 levels a random human will be a VIP and killing it gives you a permanent stats bonus. You can shift+click to mass buy an upgrade or raise all possible zombies with your current energy.

Other misc additions like Zombies having a ranged attack, getting a buff when on fire, among other stuff.