Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Licarn posted:

one of these things will happen

Doubt it. The server could easily run on a $20/mo. Linode server or someone's Google Fiber account. The vast majority of the network traffic is peer-to-peer (the first client that enters a scene gets designated master and acts as a server host, the "game server" primarily does account authentication, player character persistence and basic fraud/dupe checking off monster drops/quest rewards) so even more than any other MMO it could run indefinitely in a corner somewhere.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Doubt it. The server could easily run on a $20/mo. Linode server or someone's Google Fiber account. The vast majority of the network traffic is peer-to-peer (the first client that enters a scene gets designated master and acts as a server host, the "game server" primarily does account authentication, player character persistence and basic fraud/dupe checking off monster drops/quest rewards) so even more than any other MMO it could run indefinitely in a corner somewhere.

This upsets me, I know it shouldn't, but it does. I just hate the thought of seeing this game survive, it absolutely does not deserve to.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The good news with that scheme is that if there are no players the game isn't really running

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

schrodinger's game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is there anyone in this thread under the age of 35? Jeez.

i'm 34 ha ha suck it

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

The vast majority of the network traffic is peer-to-peer (the first client that enters a scene gets designated master and acts as a server host

Can you give any insight into how NAT busting is performed and what is done if those techniques fail? Does the master stay as a solo instance or are they eventually merged in with another?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It will be interesting to see where this is in 2 years. I can see the same ~200 people playing it forever, truly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

It will be interesting to see where this is in 2 years. I can see the same ~200 people playing it forever, truly.

Same people, most likely still the same content as at launch.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

Can you give any insight into how NAT busting is performed and what is done if those techniques fail? Does the master stay as a solo instance or are they eventually merged in with another?

Don't remember the details of implementation, sorry. (it's been almost 2 years since I worked there and I wasn't working on that bit).

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
with garriott officially out the door, the cult of personality around this is probably going to head into a sharper decline than it already is

you're talking probably less than a few dozen active players in the next 8 to 12 months, although these people will be the ones pouring a shitload of money into the game to "save" it

it'll probably still be taking in some money for the next 18 to 24 months before the last handful of faithful players move onto the next big mmo grift

honestly, it wasn't a bad move to buy it and put in on life support to continue squeezing the player base for every last dollar

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would be a terrible idea for anyone to put more money into this game, there isn't the team to create new content. Episode 2 is likely never coming out, they couldn't even meet a single stretch goal.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheAgent posted:

with garriott officially out the door, the cult of personality around this is probably going to head into a sharper decline than it already is

you're talking probably less than a few dozen active players in the next 8 to 12 months, although these people will be the ones pouring a shitload of money into the game to "save" it

it'll probably still be taking in some money for the next 18 to 24 months before the last handful of faithful players move onto the next big mmo grift

honestly, it wasn't a bad move to buy it and put in on life support to continue squeezing the player base for every last dollar

I'm guessing that it will end up like Star Trek Online: supported 100% by two or three dozen whales.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It would be a terrible idea for anyone to put more money into this game, there isn't the team to create new content. Episode 2 is likely never coming out, they couldn't even meet a single stretch goal.
much like Ashes of Creation, Star Citizen and Pantheon, they aren't really selling content but ~dreams~

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I also think devs that excel at single-player games should make MMOs after I found out SotA was a trainwreck.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That post makes me even more excited about whatever Larian does next.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Portalarium Catnip Games can't even afford to move things to "Concern."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is this now the former LtM/Slow News Day/Corpnews community thread? There certainly isn't much game to discuss here so it's definitely fitting.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

There hasn't been much of a game for a couple of years now. Development has stagnated and the community is dissipating. The only thing that's really left is watching how they try to keep it on life support until it dies.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
big holes in my RP

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hang up my robe and wizard hat :(

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Can I have your stuff?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1194953250845417473

That's one way to purge the CS queue.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
these guys are really bad at coming up with decent company names

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
that's been his company's name forever, his twitter and reddit accounts always had that ID

https://www.reddit.com/user/catnipgames/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hahaha dear god that post history

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you can actually tell when things started falling completely apart at the company about two years ago

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hahaha dear god that post history

Dear God indeed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

Dear God indeed.

lol at everything about this. Game went F2P anyways, and the move attracted absolutely no one new.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

lol at everything about this. Game went F2P anyways, and the move attracted absolutely no one new.

and to think I was on the fence about dumping :10bux: to not play this, now I can not play it and get myself a few corndogs on the side, too!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Edit: Oh yeah, you can also harvest unicorns now.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can't wait for Cross Promos with other teams

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You'd think killing and eating an embodiment of the hopes and dreams of children would have some kind of negative consequences.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Boomers have been doing that for years, why would it start having consequences now?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Schubalts posted:

You'd think killing and eating an embodiment of the hopes and dreams of children would have some kind of negative consequences.
the first Harry Potter book is too deep for the loremasters of SotA to understand.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Schubalts posted:

After the accusations of what kind of RP some players get up to in this game this is completely unsurprising.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

After the accusations of what kind of RP some players get up to in this game this is completely unsurprising.

It's more the surprise is that it took them this long to implement it.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Player GMs. I'm excited about this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol at player gamemasters. Yeah that's not going to result in a gigantic clusterfuck that ruins the game even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Can you ruin what was already total ruin to begin with?