Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Kins posted:

You can transfer from the 3DS Virtual Console version of Gold (and Red and Blue!) to one of the proper 3DS games using the Poke Transporter app. Not the same thing, of course, but still kinda neat.

I didn't know that! That's kinda awesome, they introduced a way to do it like 15 years later.

I wonder if there is some way to pull off your actual cart data, get it into the 3ds then use the Transporter in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lotion Tester posted:

The Exp Share also shares effort points, which can screw with your ability to train up specific stats since there's a hard cap on how many points can be accumulated in total.

Something that less than 1% of players will ever care about, but still.

EV training is a non issue since there’s items to increase or decrease the values as needed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Super No Vacancy posted:

i can't tell what level of irony this is on but they only make new pokemon every 3-4 years

Wrongo
https://twitter.com/Abyssal_Shrimp/status/1140980623240286208?s=20

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

"New pokemon", in this context, is referring to the actual creatures, not the games. 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016, and 2019 are the only relevant dates from that tweet, which is an average of three years between generations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 10, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
they've been releasing a new pokémon (pocket monster) every year now since pokémon blue/red came out 650 years ago

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm surprised they needed to remake the pokemon for Sword/Shield. Sun and Moon had pretty poor performance during battles even on a New 3DS (and it didn't support 3D), so I figured it was because the models were overly detailed in order to future proof them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No one knows what the gently caress is going on

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

No one knows what the gently caress is going on

hell, same

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sounds like game freak needs to be audited by an independent gamer group, I'd suggest r/cod, to make sure their development practices are up to snuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elman posted:

I'm surprised they needed to remake the pokemon for Sword/Shield. Sun and Moon had pretty poor performance during battles even on a New 3DS (and it didn't support 3D), so I figured it was because the models were overly detailed in order to future proof them.

Turns out it wasn’t about future proofing and they just made a game that ran lovely

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Elman posted:

Why would this be your first assumption? Lmfao gamers are loving insane man.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fallom posted:

Turns out it wasn’t about future proofing and they just made a game that ran lovely

I feel like they intended to future-proof themselves for the eventual conversion to HD hardware but the Switch is a different enough beast from the 3DS that they couldn't just drag n' drop like they were counting on.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

American McGay posted:

The models look pretty detailed and it seemed weird that they'd model and animate nearly a thousand pokemon and only use them in 2 games (X/Y, Sun/Moon).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Speaking of platformers De Blob 2 got ported recently and its great having it on the switch.

Paint things rainbow colours, participate in revolution. Its the perfect antidote to 2019.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat the final boss of Dragon Quest 11 is hard. (The postgame boss, not the secret superboss)

Last night I got everyone to level 99, finished every quest, and got a bunch of people their best gear +3, ready to fight it this morning. I barely, barely won. I thought someone said this would be doable mid 70s. I have no idea how.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

The models look pretty detailed and it seemed weird that they'd model and animate nearly a thousand pokemon and only use them in 2 games (X/Y, Sun/Moon).
I agree that it seems weird to go to that trouble only to discard it, but also the models were weirdly high poly to the point where it feels less like future-proofing and more like "wait, is that a thing we have to care about?" In some respects it can actually be easier to make a very high poly model than it is to make a good looking, optimized low poly model.

it's hilarious how high poly the models were though. Take this small bird for instance

that tiny sucker has over 13,000 tris, and it's not even the worst offender. For comparison the main characters in Bravely Default, also on the 3ds, clock in at around 2,400 tris:

it's no wonder the system chugged

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I agree that it seems weird to go to that trouble only to discard it, but also the models were weirdly high poly to the point where it feels less like future-proofing and more like "wait, is that a thing we have to care about?" In some respects it can actually be easier to make a very high poly model than it is to make a good looking, optimized low poly model.

it's hilarious how high poly the models were though. Take this small bird for instance

that tiny sucker has over 13,000 tris, and it's not even the worst offender. For comparison the main characters in Bravely Default, also on the 3ds, clock in at around 2,400 tris:

are you implying that oricorio doesn't deserve every single tri

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

American McGay posted:

Why do you keep being so aggressive and dismissive about pokemon when you're factually wrong? Would it kill you to actually look poo poo up before acting smug?

Assuming that the 3ds models were overly detailed so they could be reused in HD games is perfectly reasonable, because guess what: they did.

https://twitter.com/_djthed/status/1149932815154159616?lang=en

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, a game exclusive for the Nintendo Switch, uses the exact same models as the 3ds games. Not updated versions with a higher polycount or anything, literally the exact same models as on the 3ds. And it looks okay, because the 3ds models were way more detailed than they needed to be.

This is also why people are so confused about removing the pokemon from Sword/Shield. They already have usable models, they've used them on the switch before, and from what we've seen it looks like they're using them again for the returning pokes, so why cut so many out?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Your Computer posted:

So it's like what happened to FFXIV 1.0

Were the models used in LGPE the same in SuMo?

Edit:^ i guess that answers my question

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I'd guess that by "Future-proofing" they meant "in perpetuity", considering there's nearly a thousand models to manage. I agree the poly count's really obscene though, you could decimate it by at least 50% and lose nothing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

are you implying that oricorio doesn't deserve every single tri

oricorio for smash imo

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

God drat the final boss of Dragon Quest 11 is hard. (The postgame boss, not the secret superboss)

Last night I got everyone to level 99, finished every quest, and got a bunch of people their best gear +3, ready to fight it this morning. I barely, barely won. I thought someone said this would be doable mid 70s. I have no idea how.

If I had to guess what it was, if you use the Super Sword of Light as an item it'll take some edge off of the boss. It's something they don't really make clear at all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

They already have usable models, they've used them on the switch before, and from what we've seen it looks like they're using them again for the returning pokes, so why cut so many out?
Their reasoning is that keeping them around would restrict them from adding new gameplay mechanics, since it would mean having to author new animations for the existing models, which would be a massive drain on their time and money as a small, Kickstarter-funded team. But given, you know...

...I think they'd figure something out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alard posted:

If I had to guess what it was, if you use the Super Sword of Light as an item it'll take some edge off of the boss. It's something they don't really make clear at all.

Lol I had no idea. I thought it would be used to finish him in a cutscene

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Let's not forget that gamefreak created walking animations for every single pokemon... and used only a small fraction of them for the pokefinder. Maybe they wanted to "future-proof" those too, but it also seems like a real waste of time and resources if you aren't going to use most of them.

At least the animations gave us walking Furret memes

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I feel like having a bunch of unoptimized 3d models isn't the same thing as having fully animated and game balanced pokemon to put in the game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like having a bunch of unoptimized 3d models isn't the same thing as having fully animated and game balanced pokemon to put in the game.

The pokemon already have animations (those were reused along with the models) and stats ("game balance" isn't really a thing Gamefreak does)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

you could decimate it by at least 50% and lose nothing

I wouldn't normally pick up on this because language is a fluid thing and the definition of 'decimate' has definitely shifted away from the actual meaning over time, however when the literal meaning of decimate is 'reduce by 1/10th' it looks weird

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I feel like they intended to future-proof themselves for the eventual conversion to HD hardware but the Switch is a different enough beast from the 3DS that they couldn't just drag n' drop like they were counting on.

This would make the most sense but I'd rather post rambling screeds about how game freak lied to me and also it's rude to make fun of me

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Any hints for the Floor 6 boss in Luigi's Mansion 3? I'm sure I'm missing something but I tried vacuuming its tail, vacuuming it's shield/armor, plungering the shield/armor, and none of it works. I see the target on his chest that presumably needs to be plungered but the shield is always blocking it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Snake Maze posted:

The pokemon already have animations (those were reused along with the models) and stats ("game balance" isn't really a thing Gamefreak does)
Pretty sure they don't have animations for turning into loving giants. Even if they've got stats set up it doesn't mean they work well with all the new poo poo being added through new moves and pokemon.

If it was so easy to include all pokemon they would have done without controversy. Game development is poo poo enough without people reacting to 'thats too much work for us in this timeframe' with 'you're just being loving lazy'.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Snake Maze posted:

Why do you keep being so aggressive and dismissive about pokemon when you're factually wrong? Would it kill you to actually look poo poo up before acting smug?

Assuming that the 3ds models were overly detailed so they could be reused in HD games is perfectly reasonable, because guess what: they did.
The models weren't overly detailed because of future proofing. They were overly detailed because that's how games are made. You don't build a model for the engine. You make a base model and then you scale and tweak that model to fit into the confines of your engine.

If I'm playing a game and it has a lovely frame rate I don't immediately think "oh this makes sense, they're just planning for the future", I think "oh this game is poorly optimized".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HD models were also used in Pokémon Go

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mancalamania posted:

Any hints for the Floor 6 boss in Luigi's Mansion 3? I'm sure I'm missing something but I tried vacuuming its tail, vacuuming it's shield/armor, plungering the shield/armor, and none of it works. I see the target on his chest that presumably needs to be plungered but the shield is always blocking it.
Took me a while too, but you've got to flash him at the last possible second when he's trying to joust you to stun him, and then go through the regular motions.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2019

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

mancalamania posted:

If it is the knight you need to flash it when it attacks, just before it hits you. It’s all about the timing.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'm excited to play a Pokemon game for the first time since red/blue.

Hopefully it's good, idk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr Newsman posted:

Lmfao get a load of this guy. He hasn't even seen the tree yet. 🤣

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Newsman posted:

It's pokemon, they are always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

American McGay posted:

The models weren't overly detailed because of future proofing. They were overly detailed because that's how games are made. You don't build a model for the engine. You make a base model and then you scale and tweak that model to fit into the confines of your engine.

Weird how that scaling and tweaking resulted in 100% identical models on both Switch and 3ds. What a crazy coincidence. What are the odds, huh?