Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Two Headed Calf posted:

How did you do the marble on the coffin? It looks fantastic.

Thanks, the process was pretty simple and fast.
Paints used: Vallejo- Stonewall Grey, Black, Dark Green
The base coat was grey mixed down with black to a dark grey. Then the lines are green mixed with black, maybe 1:1. Finally pure black was roughly put into the spaces between the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hey guys, how would I glaze a mini without glazing medium? Do I just brush water on the mini and then paint a thinned ink down on it? I want to darken this guy's armor down a bit:

This guy has really good video tutorials on glazing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

The previous advice was 100% on point and I agree with it. Costwise you can get basically any Badger airbrush for 56 bucks if you wait for their birthday sale. Add an extra ten-twenty for a hose and quick-release link and you’ve got a top of the line system to play with just missing an air source.

Buying from the birthday sale is totally an insane thing to do for your first airbrush. That sale is great if you are buying one of the higher end models, but I can tell you from experience that waiting several months to have a Patriot 105 arrive in the main is in no way worth saving 20 bucks.

Patriot 105 is the perfect starter airbrush, just grab in on Amazon.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Buying from the birthday sale is totally an insane thing to do for your first airbrush. That sale is great if you are buying one of the higher end models, but I can tell you from experience that waiting several months to have a Patriot 105 arrive in the main is in no way worth saving 20 bucks.

Patriot 105 is the perfect starter airbrush, just grab in on Amazon.

This 100% you can often find the 105 for as low as 65$ with two day insured shipping.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up my first airborne guy. Now to hammer out the rest this weekend.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished the one guy up completely. Went through and added highlights & based him. Also changed the patches & helmet to Olive Grey with a wash of Athonian Camoshade.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I bought a Patriot 105 and an Iwata NEO in the last year and I can honestly say that the NEO was cheaper and I prefer the trigger action on it over the badger.

The patriot definitely has a place in my toolkit for airbrushing, but for general purpose work, I really like the Iwata.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hey guys, how would I glaze a mini without glazing medium? Do I just brush water on the mini and then paint a thinned ink down on it? I want to darken this guy's armor down a bit:

He looks like the bad guy from Star Trek 6

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is there a smart way to paint checks on relatively small surfaces? I had a go with the smallest size Tamiya masking tape I could find, but I found it hard to lay the tape down straight and ended up marking out the grid with a pen and painting over it freehand.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Crossposting an Airborne lad I'm working on.

What's your formula for your skin? I did not write down mine for my Commisar :doh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Is there a smart way to paint checks on relatively small surfaces? I had a go with the smallest size Tamiya masking tape I could find, but I found it hard to lay the tape down straight and ended up marking out the grid with a pen and painting over it freehand.

That's basically how I've always done it. Just be sure to hit it with some matte varnish first before going over it freehand--it'll stick better, won't pull up the paint, and won't ruin the pen tip.

Micron pens are best for this. Gives a nice smooth line and dries quick. Their .005 pen is what I use for eyes, so keep that in mind if you need to do eye dots.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

https://mastercrafted.co.uk/shop/infantry-components/shoulder-pads/grav/chequered-disc-aggression-pads-left/

This guy makes good stuff, plus you can email him with ideas and he'll have something ready in a week if this doesn't fit your needs!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

What's your formula for your skin? I did not write down mine for my Commisar :doh:

Super quick and easy. Cadian fleshtone, Reikland Fleshshade wash, Kislev Flesh highlight.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Thanqol posted:

This guy has really good video tutorials on glazing.

Thanks, this helped a lot!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Dana Howl has also been doing some great videos on underpainting/glazing, and while there's only two out so far, they're really drat good - she's done some crazy cool nighthaunt stuff that you might've seen around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCI7EmMVCD8A0sZBha1EFg2Q

Texmo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 9, 2019

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Cross-Postin' from the 40k thread.
Finally finished painting this dingus after procrastinating with just his force sword remaining for over a month (and then getting the power waves the wrong way 'round from the runestones!!)
Pretty drat happy with how he's come out.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Texmo posted:

Dana Howl has also been doing some great videos on underpainting/glazing, and while there's only two out so far, they're really drat good - she's done some crazy cool nighthaunt stuff that you might've seen around.

Yeah I love her work, but I don't use an airbrush so it kinda leaves me out :/

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Texmo posted:

She’s also really loving funny too. Her’s are my favorite videos for pure watchability.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Yeah I love her work, but I don't use an airbrush so it kinda leaves me out :/

Understandable, but her zenithal priming technique can be replicated using rattle cans pretty easily. I think that's the only real barrier to doing glazing like she describes.

I mean, unless you're stuck using brush-on primer, in which case: ouch.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

She’s also really loving funny too. Her’s are my favorite videos for pure watchability.

Her video on pre-shading and glazing finally helped make glazing "click" in my head. Like, I know how to do both sort of, but she managed to make it all come together such that my stupid monkey-brain finally went "ah yes, this is how you do it."

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Yeah, she does a great balance between practicality and theory.

There’s also this new-media youtuber... tonality/format? I guess you would call it? She doesn’t do it at all and I deeply appreciate that. The whole HEY GUYS WHATS UP IM GONNA TALK REALLY FAST AND OVERLY EXCITED - and in a youtube new-media format it makes even less sense and frustrates me even more as you arent fighting set advertising breaks and time limits. I accept that this probably annoys me more than other people because I work in media production and we’re all super sensitive to that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh nice, thanks for pointing out her channel. Really like her style so far and glazing is just what I was looking to learn some more about here soon.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Slimnoid posted:

I mean, unless you're stuck using brush-on primer, in which case: ouch.

Bingo, I'm doing it -all- by brush. That said, thinning down reaper black ink a LOT let me do this with my crimson fist. I'm happier with how this came out.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2019

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Nearing the end of the year so I thought I'd post a comparison from a year ago to now.

If you're worried about your hands being shakey think of it like this: painting is a physical activity as much as it is creative, the more you practice the more those muscles strengthen and learn. At the start of this year I was pretty drat shakey, after months of practicing my hands are stronger and more steady. I started the year not being able to draw a straight line with a ruler but now I can paint a convincing one! SA is the absolute best place to ask for advice, there are some seriously talented people here!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i painted my first man face tonight, its kinda mankey but whatever

these are my first 3 space marines ive ever painted. middle one was first, left one was second, right one was third

tbh i kinda like the middle one the best even though i washed his entire body and didnt really touch him up, because it makes him look more grim and dark and washes out the blue. also i got the vallejo starter kit or whatever so my space wolf blue is like 3 drops of grey and 1 drop of blue but it seems inconsistent. still fun to paint them i guess but not as much fun as this grimy bitch

these guys are so fun to paint because the less consistent they are, the better. i still have 3 rievers and 3 death guard to paint and i feel like i will have way more fun painting the death guard because them being all rusty and lovely looking means i dont have to worry about straight lines or whatever and can just go wild.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

A fellow nutcase :D I did the pen route and just eyeballing it until it felt right. For the pattern, I went with 6 vertical bars and 4 horizontal, mostly to keep myself sane and make it repeatable - https://imgur.com/gallery/GbwiRmT

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some Assault Centurions, it kinda feels like I just painted three dreadnoughts at the same time.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kore_Fero posted:

A fellow nutcase :D I did the pen route and just eyeballing it until it felt right. For the pattern, I went with 6 vertical bars and 4 horizontal, mostly to keep myself sane and make it repeatable - https://imgur.com/gallery/GbwiRmT

Those look super clean! I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is to brighten up the light squares without touching the others. Definitely going to add some battle scars to my guys (I've been trying to follow Darren Latham's recipe for the yellow and for battle damage).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I painted a few more figures for our DnD group:

I got lazy with the leaves and just kept them all green. I should have gone back and made some of them orange, red, and brown :effort:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

im pooping! posted:

i painted my first man face tonight, its kinda mankey but whatever

these are my first 3 space marines ive ever painted. middle one was first, left one was second, right one was third

tbh i kinda like the middle one the best even though i washed his entire body and didnt really touch him up, because it makes him look more grim and dark and washes out the blue. also i got the vallejo starter kit or whatever so my space wolf blue is like 3 drops of grey and 1 drop of blue but it seems inconsistent. still fun to paint them i guess but not as much fun as this grimy bitch

these guys are so fun to paint because the less consistent they are, the better. i still have 3 rievers and 3 death guard to paint and i feel like i will have way more fun painting the death guard because them being all rusty and lovely looking means i dont have to worry about straight lines or whatever and can just go wild.

You're off to a great start!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Shout out to the goons who posted that series of glazing tutorials.

Freaking savage, educational, and entertaining.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Had this guy sitting around primed for ages, decided to paint him tonight.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone know if Vallejo does much in the way of holiday discounts? I’m at the point where I’d like to just drop a bunch of money on getting closer to something resembling a wide spectrum of paints rather than one here two there, but if I can wait and save a few bucks I will.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I cannot tell if I hate the little fake trim on Man-o-war shocktrooper's shoulder pads or metallic paints or both.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

richyp posted:

Excellent work, the flesh looks great!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

I am impressed by your gross purple skin. I'm assuming it's white/Druchhi/Pallid or something similar?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Back on September 14th I entered a local painting competition called Battlecry, located at The Battle Standard in CT. It was my first time entering the competition.

I placed in the top 3 in five of eight categories. And yesterday, I finally got the awards.

First place, sci-fi small model

First place, fantasy small model

Second place, open category

Second place, kitbash/conversion

Third place, fantasy large model

Though it was my first time, I came in and kind of swept the awards, which is still a bit mind-boggling for me. The competition was pretty fierce too, and I plan to grind to higher competition level for next year and really bring my A-game.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Count_Brass posted:

Excellent work, the flesh looks great!

Professor Shark posted:

I am impressed by your gross purple skin. I'm assuming it's white/Druchhi/Pallid or something similar?

Thanks the flesh was contrast medium + druchi violet about 4:1 ratio washed over wraithbone primer.

Touch ups can be done with Dechala Lilac plus wraithbone.

Highlight with Wraithbone and then white.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Slimnoid posted:

Back on September 14th I entered a local painting competition called Battlecry, located at The Battle Standard in CT. It was my first time entering the competition.

I placed in the top 3 in five of eight categories. And yesterday, I finally got the awards.

Dope, congratulations. I love that Beholder, what great color.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Dope, congratulations. I love that Beholder, what great color.

Thanks! I absolutely 100% ripped offbased the color scheme on a Cacodemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WIP but I’m kinda pleased with how my weirdboy head is looking. might drybrush some brighter pink/purple onto the top of the brain just to give it a little extra pop but this is probably the best face i’ve painted yet