Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

Deadeye gives you a percentage points bonus doesn't it? Maybe I need to switch to Deadeye.

Yep.

Its also a totally different beast. Much much harder game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seriously, Ruffian Price 's pro-tip for Pistol Whip is legit. Go into options -> haptic -> metronome, and turn it up to like .3 - .4 - .5 and it helps, especially with songs that have breaks or slower tempo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried a custom song. It took a while to find a song that worked terribly well, but when it's good it's good. unfortunately that's not nearly for the entire runtime. There's a few parts that are great and a lot of parts that your brain needs to kind of just gloss over for it to work.

That said it's worth a shot, worst comes to worst it's just a fun way to dance.

there needs to be some kind of procedural generation version of this game asap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMW-WWbl1WY

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 9, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pistol Whip is super fun and you definitely don't need to play it like a rhythm game.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's not a "pure" rhythm game and it's I agree it's not always easy to be right on the money with the beat, but I do think it's a lot more fun when you're trying to go for style points to the rhythm of the song.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Annnnnnd elliotttate got custom songs kinda working. Its not custom SCENES, but its song injection.

https://www.notion.so/Pistol-Whip-Custom-Song-Guide-eff8f11e8a8145488f6fdd276774b8fa

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hacking them in is cool proof of concept, but replacing the core songs is kinda frustrating and means you have to rotate a lot since there's only so many max songs. Needs a custom screen, but pretty cool considering its been a few days.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EbolaIvory posted:

Annnnnnd elliotttate got custom songs kinda working. Its not custom SCENES, but its song injection.

https://www.notion.so/Pistol-Whip-Custom-Song-Guide-eff8f11e8a8145488f6fdd276774b8fa

holy poo poo this is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbFB692NTo

this is going to be an incredible experience if they ever release a custom scene creation program.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hellsau posted:

if they ever release a custom scene creation program.

That's seems real unlikely so don't hold your breath. Beat saber doesn't have an official creation program, right? And it would be much easier than this.

Short of like releasing the game open source so you can make your own levels in unity, its not gonna happen anytime soon. And they're not gonna do that.

E: Also like beat saber they're gonna release DLC song packs, so it kinda hurts them to even let you. Its cool that beat saber looks the other way on customs. That's about as much as we can hope for I think.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 9, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://store.steampowered.com/app/931310/Airplane_Mode/

Release a quest version so you can play this while on an airplane, you cowards.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's seems real unlikely so don't hold your breath. Beat saber doesn't have an official creation program, right? And it would be much easier than this.

Short of like releasing the game open source so you can make your own levels in unity, its not gonna happen anytime soon. And they're not gonna do that.

Beat Saber does have an official level editor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tip posted:

Beat Saber does have an official level editor.

You sure? All I see is just some public github under GPL, is that by one of the devs?

That makes it seem more weird that they don't support customs on Quest but whatever.

Well maybe there's hope yet then.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You sure? All I see is just some public github under GPL, is that by one of the devs?

It's just in the menu on the desktop version.

It's not clear to me whether anyone actually uses it, though? It seems poorly documented and I'm not sure whether it can do everything the modded levels can. And of course there's no built-in way to share levels created with it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

It's just in the menu on the desktop version.

It's not clear to me whether anyone actually uses it, though? It seems poorly documented and I'm not sure whether it can do everything the modded levels can. And of course there's no built-in way to share levels created with it.

No its trash and nobody uses it. They only put it out so they could say they did. Honestly, gently caress those devs anymore.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's seems real unlikely so don't hold your breath.

Lemme just copy and paste this real quick.

quote:

Will you support custom tracks/music?
Because Pistol Whip levels are complete scenes rather than “voids” like in traditional rhythm games, custom tracks are a more complicated process. However, we have solutions in mind that we are excited to address after launch.

Word for Word without me shortening it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Gave pistol whip another shot. Fell into the groove on one level. But something still isn't clicking for me. I think honestly the songs they chose for the game are terrible, they need something a bit more consistent with a 4 on the floor or something. I really don't like this game, but I'm curious to see how it evolves.

edit: Yes I turned on the beat haptics even. Maybe I have no rhythm.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
The game is fun as gently caress, but the scoring is worthless to me and I can’t match their rhythm properly, so 🤷‍♀️

The haptics don’t help either.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So ever since getting the Kiwi grips for the Touch Controllers, I don't think I'll be going back to my Mamuts. Would anyone like them on the house?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The game loop is solid but I'm having a hard job vibing with the music too. Beat sabers OST was much more infectious.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody else not getting scores to save in Pistol Whip on Quest? Done Training and Black Magic a few times but no score saves.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pistol Whip is surprisingly exhausting.

It's yet another Unity game, so it should be "easily" moddable, unless the devs went out of their way obfuscating things or their internal APIs are just a confusing mess. On the other hand, these il2cpp references in the directory tree seem to suggest that poo poo got compiled down to native code before distribution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Definitely don't sleep on the options menus in Pistol Whip. I found that adjusting the gun angle +5 was ideal, plus adding +0.1 to player height.

Also, I've been running into issues dodging bullet fire since my roomscale space is pretty small, if you don't move enough you'll still get hit by bullets so then you panic and move a lot and bump into something.

So there's an option for displaying the player bounds with a big orange square and that seems to really help me know how far from the center I am at all points, so I can quickly dodge left and right and then get back on center so I don't further dodge to the same side and hit something.

Hard is loving hard though! And a great workout. Woof.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I definitely think the fact that so many people have trouble playing to the beat in Pistol Whip (tons of posts on reddit, the few posters here like myself) kind of speaks to the point that they really haven't figured out the formula yet. Its a cool title but it isn't as intuitive as something like beat saber as far as rhythm games go.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo pistol whip owns

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

eonwe posted:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I kinda get why it can be hard for people, from watching the videos. Rhythm games tend to have patterns that anchor to emphasized beats in a piece of music, but PW is freeform 8ths by BPM. I bet drummers/bass players are good as gently caress at this game, because it's like doing fills with guns.

Stonedog
Sep 9, 2001

Wait a minute, penguins can't fly!
Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

Anybody else not getting scores to save in Pistol Whip on Quest? Done Training and Black Magic a few times but no score saves.

Yes! Loses the personal best score as soon as I quit the game. Was hoping the fix would be the same as gun customization (manually give the app storage-permissions), but nope. Quite annoying.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't believe I haven't thought of this sooner, but American / Euro Truck Sim + Car mods = VR Open World Driving Game??

The physics are probably crap but I'm gonna have to try this. I really, really want like a forza horizon or need for speed underground VR racing game. All the current VR racing games are tracks only afaik.
Having tried it with Euro truck & car mods it's doable but not really engaging - but for the experience you're describing I'd have to point you back towards GTA V + wheel & manual gears mod, specifically once you have Franklin's street races unlocked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZombyDog posted:

Having tried it with Euro truck & car mods it's doable but not really engaging - but for the experience you're describing I'd have to point you back towards GTA V + wheel & manual gears mod, specifically once you have Franklin's street races unlocked.

Okay yeah, I'm gonna have to give that a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EIXJ8XofQ

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

eonwe posted:

I cannot wait to share it with others :D

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
After enough weekend with the Index, I'm starting to warm up to it. It's helping that there's a Rift S in my household as well, so it's really easy to do A/B comparisons on stuff. I do have some technical problems with the rift S (primarily audio) that are more annoying than I initially gave them credit for, and the FOV + super responsive screens on the index are more important than I thought, too. Being able to calibrate the analog sticks so what my brain immediately thinks of as up actually is up, regardless of what orientation i'm holding the controllers in is good too. I immediately stopped falling into pits or running into enemies in Moss, which does require accurate platforming to play.

I have also noticed that it feels like a lot less grip force is required across the board. I'm not sure if I can chalk that up to a change in how I've held the controllers historically, a steamVR update, or a nearly symmetrical "break in" of the controllers, but it feels about right to grab stuff to me now, and is closer to what I'd want in games - little force required to initiate the grip, nearly have to let go of the controller in order to drop the held object in the game. I still maintain that dropping the index headset into the oculus software + touch controller environment would be my ideal, but the index does enough of the things that are important to me to justify keeping it.

I do have to wonder, though - are there any virtual desktop-like applications that support use from the steam dashboard? When you press the system button, steam does have a built in desktop app, but it sucks. Other apps like fpsVR hook into that dashboard and you can configure their settings from there. I even own virtual desktop, and it has a dashboard app available on the side, but that one kinda sucks and hasn't been actively maintained. (Currently, you can't resize the desktop and it's too small to really be usable from the dashboard by default)

I'm wondering if OVRdrop or OVRtoolkit fill this niche. I specifically want something that works from the dashboard so I don't have to close my current VR game or app to look at my desktop and do stuff like respond to an instant message, while also not being required to have an app window or my desktop fully visible in every VR game at all times.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A bunch of sections in Pistol Whip could certainly be less narrowly packed. Heh.

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I started getting way WAY more red numbers in Pistol Whip once I turned on beat haptics and started tapping my foot to the beat throughout the whole song.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

rear end sweat is the least of my problems. I get it all up on my lenses somehow so I can't see poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can you tell when I start playing some more demanding VR games?

Humidity graph

--edit:
Beat haptics is what? Controller vibrating on the beat?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Clitch posted:

I kinda get why it can be hard for people, from watching the videos. Rhythm games tend to have patterns that anchor to emphasized beats in a piece of music, but PW is freeform 8ths by BPM. I bet drummers/bass players are good as gently caress at this game, because it's like doing fills with guns.

Turn the metronome on.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jack Trades posted:

rear end sweat is the least of my problems. I get it all up on my lenses somehow so I can't see poo poo.

Same here. Pretty much any standing VR I play with a desk fan resting in front of my keyboard blowing toward the play area.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at first I thought vive staying warm while just plugged in was dumb, then Iunplugged it once, and then when I started playing lenses immediately fogged up.

Now I use wireless so it happens every time in the summer, since it's unplugged most of the time :rip:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gorn is 50% off on Steam for any cheapskates / fencesitters :)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Stonedog posted:

Yes! Loses the personal best score as soon as I quit the game. Was hoping the fix would be the same as gun customization (manually give the app storage-permissions), but nope. Quite annoying.

It might have something to do with WiFi? Just noticed my wifi was off after a run in SynchRiders, so I cycled it and now scores are showing up fine for now.

(Also, SynthRiders is dope and will probably be way easier to do procedurally-generated customs for)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Man, I really need to figure out a good gameplay loop to do procedurally generated gameplay on my music visualizer. I'll make a fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

Man, I really need to figure out a good gameplay loop to do procedurally generated gameplay on my music visualizer. I'll make a fortune.

ProcGen can be really cool, but it can also be a video game snake oil. It sounds great but procgen content is never as good as hand made content, so I do appreciate pistol whip making bespoke levels first, for instance.

I think something like H3's Take and Hold is a good compromise, where the spawns and weapons are randomized and it creates a good amount of gameplay variety.