Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Snake Maze posted:

Weird how that scaling and tweaking resulted in 100% identical models on both Switch and 3ds. What a crazy coincidence. What are the odds, huh?
Because they didn't scale or tweak them. If they did the game wouldn't have slowdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm very excited for Pokemon and the Discourse is really wild

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

leftist heap posted:

I'm very excited for Pokemon and the Discourse is really wild

I peeked into the actual pokemon thread and got spoiled on a new design, but that aside it's kinda funny how nobody in it is really trying to defend the stupid poo poo going on. It seems like it's entirely localized to this thread with three goons trying to dunk on anyone let down.

That said complaints aside I am interested in the new gen myself. The postgame is apparently as barren as always with the new games but I'm hoping the campaign/story/whatever is fun enough. At the very least I'm sure it's bound to have a good OST. Similar to Sonic games it doesn't matter how bad the game is, the music is usually pretty nice :shobon:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Game Freak removed the Pokemon to spite its fans.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

And hell, they were right.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I don’t think the issue was graphics time but design time. They redid the Pokédex quotes and move leveling lists/tutor compatibility for every game and it made it impossible to do any meaningful balancing because of the design space. Also determining where and when Pokémon are available and at what level, what activities you can use them in and so on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Buying Pokemon Sword/Shield is saying "I support Dexit and endorse killing off more Pokemon in future games."

Thus I shall buy Pokemon Sword and/or Shield.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

American McGay posted:

Because they didn't scale or tweak them. If they did the game wouldn't have slowdown.

Wow it's almost like the models were designed to work in HD or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Snake Maze posted:

Wow it's almost like the models were designed to work in HD or something.
You have reading comprehension problems.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

that aside it's kinda funny how nobody in it is really trying to defend the stupid poo poo going on

Is it funny though, or is it entirely predictable that the people who give enough of a poo poo about the game to participate in serious pregame discussion are the ones who feel the most aggrieved by changes they don't like, and it takes people less invested in the situation to offer a more balanced take?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't including 1000 Pokemon also mean that you have to decide on 1000 ways to obtain those mons? That seems like a nightmare

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

If they wanted 900 pokemon, maybe they should have paid for microtransactions in Pokemon Go so Gamefreak could afford to increase their team. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat I just saw a video of someone beating the true final DQ11 boss in 2 turns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I peeked into the actual pokemon thread and got spoiled on a new design, but that aside it's kinda funny how nobody in it is really trying to defend the stupid poo poo going on. It seems like it's entirely localized to this thread with three goons trying to dunk on anyone let down.

That said complaints aside I am interested in the new gen myself. The postgame is apparently as barren as always with the new games but I'm hoping the campaign/story/whatever is fun enough. At the very least I'm sure it's bound to have a good OST. Similar to Sonic games it doesn't matter how bad the game is, the music is usually pretty nice :shobon:

You didn't actually look at the Pokemon thread then and instead rushed in here to go "Actually Everyone Is Upset But YOU" because I can find about a dozen examples just casually looking back through it.

And it has been said multiple times that there's nothing wrong with being let down. It's the constant "Well ACTUALLY Gamefreak just hates its fans!!!" stuff that is bewildering and dumb. Like people unironically arguing that Gamefreak never actually cares in the slightest about balance (rather than being just not very good at it) when literally every general has tweaks, changes, adjustments and so-on to stats. The upcoming gen even is specifically including a way to nerf one of the biggest competitive issues. That doesn't mean they aren't literally *attempting* it, just that their attempts don't work out very good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vegetable posted:

Doesn't including 1000 Pokemon also mean that you have to decide on 1000 ways to obtain those mons? That seems like a nightmare

They could have just kept the majority of them as being imported only from other games like they usually did.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vegetable posted:

Traditionally every Pokemon game has all the Pokemon but there's a large number that only appear through transfer or trade, so you'd only need to figure out a general Pokedex for the region and then let people transfer the ones not in said dex into it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

not necessarily, since you can have mons in the game without being able to acquire them in the game (i.e. only by transfer). You still need stuff like pokédex entries, possible changes to movesets, abilities and types, consideration for how they would fit in with new mechanics/game modes, and so on

but to sum it up, you can't talk about pokémon in the switch thread

mancalamania posted:

Any hints for the Floor 6 boss in Luigi's Mansion 3? I'm sure I'm missing something but I tried vacuuming its tail, vacuuming it's shield/armor, plungering the shield/armor, and none of it works. I see the target on his chest that presumably needs to be plungered but the shield is always blocking it.
you know this is one of the things I think Luigi's Mansion 3 really drops the ball on. Usually Nintendo games are really good at teaching you stuff gradually, so stuff like boss mechanics will show up piece by piece on the enemies in the level and then when you get the boss you immediately have an idea of what to do.... but LM3 does the complete opposite. You do fight ghosts with shields earlier in the level, so when you get the boss with a shield you think "oh, I know how to do this!" but nope you defeat it in a completely different way. The boss weaknesses aren't very well telegraphed either, so I feel like I've defeated most of them by just trial-and-error'ing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

They could have just kept the majority of them as being imported only from other games like they usually did.

Policenaut posted:

Traditionally every Pokemon game has all the Pokemon but there's a large number that only appear through transfer or trade, so you'd only need to figure out a general Pokedex for the region and then let people transfer the ones not in said dex into it.
That would get them out of jail for this game, but for the next games they suddenly find themselves required to include the other hundreds of mons.

I mean I empathize with both sides but it's hard not to imagine that these dudes just wanna build a cool game and not have to worry about what to do with the other hundreds of mons.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Thing is, it is the most profitable game series. Hire more people you fucks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't actually look at the Pokemon thread then and instead rushed in here to go "Actually Everyone Is Upset But YOU" because I can find about a dozen examples just casually looking back through it.

And it has been said multiple times that there's nothing wrong with being let down. It's the constant "Well ACTUALLY Gamefreak just hates its fans!!!" stuff that is bewildering and dumb. Like people unironically arguing that Gamefreak never actually cares in the slightest about balance (rather than being just not very good at it) when literally every general has tweaks, changes, adjustments and so-on to stats. The upcoming gen even is specifically including a way to nerf one of the biggest competitive issues. That doesn't mean they aren't literally *attempting* it, just that their attempts don't work out very good.

I actually did look into it last night out of sheer curiosity and saw a lot of people talking down on it. Sorry to say that.

Also i don't think anyone here said that Gamefreak hates it's fans.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey you know what made this thread 1000x better?

Downloading a word replacement extension and configuring it so that "pokemon" is replaced with "farts" and "pokedex" is replaced with "fart ledger".

Here's the code to use if you want to do it yourself:

code:
{
  "version": "2.0.10",
  "replacements": [
    {
      "repA": "Pokemon",
      "repB": "farts",
      "type": "Simple",
      "case": "Maintain",
      "active": true
    },
    {
      "repA": "mons",
    },
    {
      "repA": "pokedex",
      "repB": "fart ledger",
    },
    {
      "repA": "Pokémon",
    },
    {
      "repA": "Pokédex",
      "repB": "fart ledger",
    }
  ]
}

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

asecondduck posted:

I'm going to do this and then forget about it in a handful of hours, then get really confused for a minute when I look back in.

Thank you.

Edit: Was thinking about it earlier but what do you think is next for Nintendo after the switch? Do you think whatever the next console is is going to be another handheld/console hybrid or think they'll break away from that and split them up again? Never really thought about it and it feels like they couldn't possibly create a divide now and wondering how limiting that might be for future hardware.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 10, 2019

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

American McGay posted:

You have reading comprehension problems.

No you're just a moron

American McGay posted:

Why would [the performance problems were because the models were overly detailed in order to future proof them] be your first assumption? Lmfao gamers are loving insane man.

American McGay posted:

The models weren't overly detailed because of future proofing. They were overly detailed because that's how games are made. You don't build a model for the engine. You make a base model and then you scale and tweak that model to fit into the confines of your engine.

American McGay posted:

You yourself admit the models on the 3ds were overly detailed and that's what caused the slowdown, and hey, guess what, those exact same models were used on the Switch and they looked just fine. If that's not future proofing then how is it different? How is it insane to think the models were built to be reused in HD when reusing them in HD has literally happened?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Buying Pokemon Sword/Shield is saying "I support Dexit and endorse killing off more Pokemon in future games."

Thus I shall buy Pokemon Sword and/or Shield.

That's a bit extreme.

I'll buy only Pokemón Sword.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should just create an area with all the Pokemon they don't want to include and players get subject to constant fart noises when they enter it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I actually did look into it last night out of sheer curiosity and saw a lot of people talking down on it. Sorry to say that.

Also i don't think anyone here said that Gamefreak hates it's fans.

So why do you think Gamefreak isn't doing things then? Because at this point people have unironically argued that all it takes to put the Pokemon in is a drag-and-drop and it's completely non understandable why it doesn't have all 900-something Pokemon. The entire argument seems to boil down to "Gamefreak is doing it because they are mean lazy jerks" and not really anything more.

I guess a big thing I want to point out here is that this was inevitable. They added like 90 new Pokemon (not counting their various gimmicks) this general and probably will keep adding more next generation. Eventually they are going to have to update their models and the more Pokemon that exist the more they'll have to update. It sucks but after a certain point bloat will force pretty much any game of this type to trim their roster.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Snake Maze posted:

No you're just a moron

You yourself admit the models on the 3ds were overly detailed and that's what caused the slowdown, and hey, guess what, those exact same models were used on the Switch and they looked just fine. If that's not future proofing then how is it different? How is it insane to think the models were built to be reused in HD when reusing them in HD has literally happened?
You're so close to getting it dude.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Now that i think of it maybe including hundreds of unoptimized farts in a 3DS game was an early symptom of the fart company not being equipped to keep up with the ever expanding fart ledger coupled with the increased expectations of the complexity of farts players have as tecnology advances.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

So why do you think Gamefreak isn't doing things then? Because at this point people have unironically argued that all it takes to put the Pokemon in is a drag-and-drop and it's completely non understandable why it doesn't have all 900-something Pokemon. The entire argument seems to boil down to "Gamefreak is doing it because they are mean lazy jerks" and not really anything more.

I guess a big thing I want to point out here is that this was inevitable. They added like 90 new Pokemon (not counting their various gimmicks) this general and probably will keep adding more next generation. Eventually they are going to have to update their models and the more Pokemon that exist the more they'll have to update. It sucks but after a certain point bloat will force pretty much any game of this type to trim their roster.

That's the entire argument. I understand you can't bring a ringer in to steamroll the game and being disappointed but they don't just drop it there. It continues to they're lazy and bad and they future proofed all Pokemon models and blah blah blah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

Downloading a word replacement extension and configuring it so that "pokemon" is replaced with "farts" and "pokedex" is replaced with "fart ledger".

Here's the code to use if you want to do it yourself:
help i think i did something wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Looks right to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

help i think i did something right

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your Computer posted:

doesn't look like you did anything

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't they have a mass extinction event in farts? Celebrate it, and everything?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I guess a big thing I want to point out here is that this was inevitable. They added like 90 new Pokemon (not counting their various gimmicks) this general and probably will keep adding more next generation. Eventually they are going to have to update their models and the more Pokemon that exist the more they'll have to update. It sucks but after a certain point bloat will force pretty much any game of this time to trim their roster.
I think gamefreak isn't doing these things is because there's a nasty crunch to get games out yearly and the team there just wasn't ready to handle a big HD console game as they've lived on weaker hardware forever. Again this is their first big console game, and when a good portion of it (via pre-release) is asset flips and the price raises by 20 bucks it's fair to go "hey this seems kind of lazy."

I agree that it was going to have to happen at some point, yeah that makes sense, but when a lot of mons are reused it doesn't feel like nows the time- especially when the $40 dollar games was able to handle it (with frame drops but still) and still have just as much content. It also doesn't help that they weren't clear about how deep the cuts were going to make, didn't explain what they want HOME to be outside Bank 2.0, and more.

There's just a lot of really bad calls about the game, man.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

drat I just saw a video of someone beating the true final DQ11 boss in 2 turns.

Did it involve Erik? I can't imagine it being any other way

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2019

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Alard posted:

If I had to guess what it was, if you use the Super Sword of Light as an item it'll take some edge off of the boss. It's something they don't really make clear at all.
They make it clear that it has a role to play in the final battle, but they don't make it clear at all that your sword needs to be used as an item rather than being used as, you know, a sword.

When I went through it last year on PS4, I tried attacking with the Super Sword of Light at least once whenever the boss changed forms, expecting something to eventually happen. It just didn't occur to me at all that I should try to use it as an item.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think gamefreak isn't doing these things is because there's a nasty crunch to get games out yearly and the team there just wasn't ready to handle a big HD console game as they've lived on weaker hardware forever. Again this is their first big console game, and when a good portion of it (via pre-release) is asset flips and the price raises by 20 bucks it's fair to go "hey this seems kind of lazy."

I agree that it was going to have to happen at some point, yeah that makes sense, but when a lot of mons are reused it doesn't feel like nows the time- especially when the $40 dollar games was able to handle it (with frame drops but still) and still have just as much content. It also doesn't help that they weren't clear about how deep the cuts were going to make, didn't explain what they want HOME to be outside Bank 2.0, and more.

Let's never stop posting about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If I had to say "why now" it would be because they're making the transition from handheld to console, which is a selling point for people. Setting the expectations going forward now instead of their next game (where, inevitably, people would scream about how Sword and Shield all the Pokemon) makes sense.

They had to do it eventually and there's never a 'good time' for it because people are going to be upset regardless of what they do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Papercut posted:

Let's never stop posting about it

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Game Freak has 148 employees. Pulled the numbers of some other Japanese studios: Atlus has 270, Level 5 has 300, Tecmo Koei has 1700, Square has 4300.

Make of that what you will, I guess.