Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Captain Log posted:

One important note about my permanently nesty and horny Serra -

The egg crate on the bottom of the cage method has prevented her from nesting or laying eggs for many months. I switch them out before she can tear them into a nest, so she has largely stopped trying.

In her cage, that is.

Bearing in mind that I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to pet birds (which is one big reason I don't plan to get ducklings even though I'm really wanting one), I was about to ask if Serra couldn't just be spayed, but apparently that's likely to kill her. I did find this article that might help you out with this issue: https://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/2hbkm-male-female-cockatiel-neutered.html

It sounds like the immediate thing to do is let her lay the eggs, but just shake/freeze them to make sure they won't hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I tried and failed to find the thread for you, but there was a guy several years ago who did in fact adopt a pet duckling. It was a very sweet little critter and he loved it very much, but as it turns out ducks are even more high maintenance than parrots -- it couldn't simply be confined in a cage, its mess was far beyond that of a tame Pscittacine (he reached the point where he had to keep it in a bird diaper at all times), the bathtub indoors and the wading pool outdoors were both perennial messes with mashed soggy duck food, etc and so forth. The tale ended with the duck being given to, iirc, a woman who kept ducks and chickens and being much, much happier and meeting a duck girlfriend.

Truly wish I could find it for you, it was 50-50 heartwarming and very sad.

Found it because I had to relive that thread. Several of my friends who are farmers refuse to ever raise ducks again because they're so gross and destructive and rapey. One couldn't even bring herself to eat the meat afterwards because she had flashbacks to the Duck Smell.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Found it because I had to relive that thread. Several of my friends who are farmers refuse to ever raise ducks again because they're so gross and destructive and rapey. One couldn't even bring herself to eat the meat afterwards because she had flashbacks to the Duck Smell.

:hfive: Thank you! :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

How long before you wake up to find a cockatiel egg jammed up your nose?

Im now going to sleep with earplugs in my nose.

Serra is my third lady cockatiel so it’s a familiar dance for me. Two year old lady birds are permanently horny. But, she won’t lay if she has nowhere to do it. She had a few odd ones her last go round which made me worried about egg binding. One in particular seemed to really give her a hard time.

Truthfully, the egg crate solution is a pretty simple fix and I wish I’d thought of it ten or twenty years ago.

:derptiel:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Everyone posted:

Bearing in mind that I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to pet birds (which is one big reason I don't plan to get ducklings even though I'm really wanting one), I was about to ask if Serra couldn't just be spayed, but apparently that's likely to kill her. I did find this article that might help you out with this issue: https://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/2hbkm-male-female-cockatiel-neutered.html

It sounds like the immediate thing to do is let her lay the eggs, but just shake/freeze them to make sure they won't hatch.

There are less permanent forms of birdy birth control, including Suprelorin which is used on ex egg farm hens and can greatly increase their lifespan and quality of life just by making them not poop out an egg every day. Crouton has a Suprelorin implant and it's basically entirely cured her egg laying and associated pain and stress from her abnormal insides.

The main problem is you have to keep doing it every year or six months, depending on the implant, and it's quite expensive. If Serra isn't actually in pain or distress from egg laying a vet probably wouldn't want to do it. Also, every use of anaesthesia to put the implant in carries some risk, especially in older or sick birds. It's an option but based on how Serra seems to be doing probably not a very feasible one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/c16Q9ge.mp4

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

My first reaction was WTF kind of horror is happening here?! There's some kind of headless bird hatching an egg (the tongue poking out the beak looked a bit like a hatchling trying to break out of an egg at first). Then, finally, oh, right, it's a parrot enjoying a nap from a neckrub.

It reminds me of something from several years back. I was working the night shift at a store. A lady came in and started ringing up her order on "self-checkout" then stopped and has to go to her car and get her credit card. She left her purse in her grocery cart. It was a little after 3 AM. So after a minute, I noticed that that purse was moving. And then, that purse is growing a head! And finally, Oh, wait, it's a cute little Yorkie dog. That "purse" is a small pet carrier for a tiny doggie. I'm not in some kind of David Cronenberg body horror nightmare where inanimate objects grow animal heads after all.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LOL

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, question! Why are Indian Ring Necks considered "difficult" birds? Are they neurotic like female eclectus birds?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, question! Why are Indian Ring Necks considered "difficult" birds? Are they neurotic like female eclectus birds?

The excellent parrot shop down the road from me says the majority of IRNs are super nervous and require a very specific type of owner to develop well. My next bird, likely years away, will either be a Quaker or an IRN. They tell me IRNs just tend to be nervous, which then makes them bite prone.

But Quakers have their own quirk - Really high instances of cage aggression. They get really combative about coming out of their cage, then completely forget about it once they’re snatched out.

Yeah, there are some problem birds in the world, same as people. But I maintain owner personality is the most important factor. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A Quaker is my dream birb.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/yfiFeMY.mp4

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I want to adopt a cockatiel and cradle it and tickle its belly while it squeaks and falls asleep. Miss you, George :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Log posted:

The excellent parrot shop down the road from me says the majority of IRNs are super nervous and require a very specific type of owner to develop well. My next bird, likely years away, will either be a Quaker or an IRN. They tell me IRNs just tend to be nervous, which then makes them bite prone.

But Quakers have their own quirk - Really high instances of cage aggression. They get really combative about coming out of their cage, then completely forget about it once they’re snatched out.

Yeah, there are some problem birds in the world, same as people. But I maintain owner personality is the most important factor. :derptiel:

Thaaat explains it, thank you for the informative post! God I love birds. They have so much personality.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, got a question for you birb peoples who make their own chop, etc.

I have an old tiny little PITA handheld chopper and am looking for a mini/small food chopper to make chop for the heathens. Any suggestions? What do you all use? I have a YUUUUUGE one that I use for people stuff, but it's awful big just for the birbs.

I'm looking to get a decent little one, maybe like a 1-2 cup? Not too loud, and with good reviews that can handle being used for chopping birb vegies. The one I have atm (my super jumbo one) is loud and sounds like a jet taking off :( I could do it by hand, but my free time is becoming limited and I would rather not.

Thanks!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bradbury and Mochi just interacted positively for the first time! Bradbury made his weird little chuk chuk chuk kissy noise, and Mochi finally figured out what he meant and made kisses back to him. This is the first time Mochi has ever said anything to him other than staaaaaahp when he's doing a yell. :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

because IRNs are evil clay golems powered by dark magic and have crazy eyes and are just all round creepy.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Sassy decided today was bath day. After encouraging us to empty an entire mist bottle on her, she spent the next half hour happily splashing the contents of her water dish all over herself, the floor, and the nearby grooming table. Happy amazon noises were made while she watched me mop.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Suntan Boy posted:

Sassy decided today was bath day. After encouraging us to empty an entire mist bottle on her, she spent the next half hour happily splashing the contents of her water dish all over herself, the floor, and the nearby grooming table. Happy amazon noises were made while she watched me mop.

Such a happy little feather lady!!!

:3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoldStandardConure posted:

because IRNs are evil clay golems powered by dark magic and have crazy eyes and are just all round creepy.

The word in their head that powers them is "SCREM".

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am playing Final Fantasy XIV and I found out you can reskin everything. Someone made a very good cockatiel skin and makes the fat chocobo mount look like it could be a potato.

Flying has the rider pull out a slice of cake

https://i.imgur.com/ww7GCaO.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

EVIL Gibson posted:

I am playing Final Fantasy XIV and I found out you can reskin everything. Someone made a very good cockatiel skin and makes the fat chocobo mount look like it could be a potato.

https://i.imgur.com/ww7GCaO.mp4

As the owner of a spoiled, fat cockatiel - seems legit

I will be amazed if the vet still says she isn’t overweight. She gets snuck so many treats from my father that I’m worried I’m going to start finding empty Reese’s 12 packs in her food.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

goddamnit I'm not paying 20$ for the fat chocobo mount, especially when I braved the trial of not getting the on sale fat cat mount last month :argh:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

goddamnit I'm not paying 20$ for the fat chocobo mount, especially when I braved the trial of not getting the on sale fat cat mount last month :argh:

I was a chump and bought that broken mess of an MMOG at release before the big fix. :)

If you can get any fat chocobo, the texture mod will let you mod it. I think it may be able to replace entire models with another model, but I do not know exactly how.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shine posted:

I want to adopt a cockatiel and cradle it and tickle its belly while it squeaks and falls asleep. Miss you, George :(

So something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awyP9T3EKGs

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm back from a two week vacation since yesterday, my birds were boarding with my mom. Pion has forgotten how to receive scritches.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I dreamt that Ozzy let me rub his head.

Wistful sigh.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay he actually did remember how to get scritches, after going through the exactly right motions.
However both of them have had their bird brains reset with regards to what are appropriate places for birds to perch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I tried and failed to find the thread for you, but there was a guy several years ago who did in fact adopt a pet duckling. It was a very sweet little critter and he loved it very much, but as it turns out ducks are even more high maintenance than parrots -- it couldn't simply be confined in a cage, its mess was far beyond that of a tame Pscittacine (he reached the point where he had to keep it in a bird diaper at all times), the bathtub indoors and the wading pool outdoors were both perennial messes with mashed soggy duck food, etc and so forth. The tale ended with the duck being given to, iirc, a woman who kept ducks and chickens and being much, much happier and meeting a duck girlfriend.
Anyone who is curious about keeping poultry livestock as pets should go to the Backyard Chicken Thread where we also discuss quail and ducks and stuff.

When it comes to ducks, my main takeaway is that ducks really need to be kept in a flock, outside. They're social animals that have a lot of behavioural problems if kept alone, and they're extremely messy animals that love putting food and poo poo in their water.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

At some point I want chickens, but right now I live in an apartment.

Fresh eggs! The closest thing to velociraptors I can reasonably have running around my back yard! Friends!

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Everyone posted:

I'm still weirdly obsessed with ducklings despite the fact that I am completely aware that nothing in my inclinations, temperament, skill set or life schedule is at all congruent with getting a duckling which will then rapidly grow into a duck over a two month time period and then stay in my life for the next 15-20 years.

Another way to get your duckling fix is to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center! The place I work at gets literally hundreds in the spring, and because we're in a mild climate, a couple dozen more throughout the year (ducks are bad parents). We give them baths, clean all the poop and dry them off, after which they cuddle up and fall asleep. It's super adorable :3:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Baneling Butts posted:

Another way to get your duckling fix is to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center! The place I work at gets literally hundreds in the spring, and because we're in a mild climate, a couple dozen more throughout the year (ducks are bad parents). We give them baths, clean all the poop and dry them off, after which they cuddle up and fall asleep. It's super adorable :3:

That's a good thought. Not super-enthused about the poop, but ducklings=poop so something I'd need to ge used to anyway if I got one. There's a rehab center in my town, but it's totally focused on birds of prey (things that eat ducklings) so not for me. Still looking.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Everyone posted:

That's a good thought. Not super-enthused about the poop, but ducklings=poop so something I'd need to ge used to anyway if I got one. There's a rehab center in my town, but it's totally focused on birds of prey (things that eat ducklings) so not for me. Still looking.

I’m pretty sure this has been said, but you should hang out in the chicken thread. There are a lot of Duck people in there.

I had an infusion a few days ago, so morning migraines are an issue right now.

Want to know what makes it better? Having a fussy cockatiel sit and DEMAND scritches or she is VERY upset.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

All birds = poop. All of them. There is not one species of bird that does not lay down gnarly poops, in either composition, amount, or frequency. You could write an article just titled Your Life Is Now Poop: Tips & Tricks For New Bird Owners".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/MJBH0yA.mp4

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tendai posted:

All birds = poop. All of them. There is not one species of bird that does not lay down gnarly poops, in either composition, amount, or frequency. You could write an article just titled Your Life Is Now Poop: Tips & Tricks For New Bird Owners".

And the thread title will change to "Bird Crazies: Your Life Is Now Poop" in five, four, three...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well NOW it won't :colbert:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I can literally never tire of watching this.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
When the blue one just tips over :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug