Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

It really is a weird bit of culture shock for anyone coming from WoW or other online games just how chill and awesome the FFXIV community is.

Everyone is extremely laid back and friendly. If you’re in a roulette and the party wipes people just shrug, run back and do the fight again. The closest thing to bad behavior I can think of would be tanks and healers bailing from Castrum in the MSQ roulette while DPS have hour long queues. Even that is understandable and barely qualifies as mildly dickish.

Also, just dps can clear a bunch of castrum just by not pulling everything like normal and when a tank/healer joins and sees it's halfway finished already they'll usually stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For gathering classes how much do I need to worry about hitting timed nodes regularly? If I'm not doing that, is it going to bottleneck me on those classes or related crafting classes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For gathering classes how much do I need to worry about hitting timed nodes regularly? If I'm not doing that, is it going to bottleneck me on those classes or related crafting classes

It's really just money these days. Stockpile a little gold ore though, Shadowbringers Goldsmith needs some in the low 70s.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Truga posted:

Also, just dps can clear a bunch of castrum just by not pulling everything like normal and when a tank/healer joins and sees it's halfway finished already they'll usually stay.

Yup! Exactly what happened last night. We started plowing through and within a few minutes had a full compliment of tanks and healers.

It’s a huuuuuuuuuge stretch to call it bad behavior but it’s the best I’ve got. That I have to reach that hard to think of an example of players being dicks in FFXIV says a lot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Now that my combat jobs are all leveled, it's time to get back into working on my crafting crap, and the new changes are just as utterly mystifying to me as getting into original crafting was. Is there any resource that breaks down the basics of these skills that isn't just "hey use this macro?" so I can understand what I'm doing? Even just trying to make items for GC turn ins is a bizarre task now that I can't rely on steady hand + the free skills.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

wizardofloneliness posted:

What part in particular was causing the issues? SE is definitely pretty bad at account management but if you successfully set it up I don't really see any reason to get a refund. It's not like you're going to have to do it again.

Sorry, that last post from me was just frustration coming out. I eventually got things straightened out, but it took me awhile to get there.

I assumed that I could just buy Shadowbringers from the Square Enix store, and that would include the base game and all expansions up to the latest. That's more or less how it works in WoW. So I bought that, got my registration key, and downloaded the installer. The instructions said to login to Mog Station click the upgrade button, and enter my registration code. I did that, and it said the code wasn't valid. So, after a lot of searching, I finally discovered that you have to buy the base game separately. Then I had to figure out if I had to buy a complete edition or if just the starter edition would do. By that time, I guess I had failed enough registration attempts that they flagged my acount as delinquent and stopped accepting CC purchases? Finally, I was able to buy the starter edition by paying via PayPal, but they needed to do some extra verification because I'm too dumb to buy their video game, so it took another hour, and then I finally was able to download and login and now everything is fine.

I'm not saying I'm completely blameless here. But that's still way more nonsense than necessary. :mad:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, their web design and the whole system is thoroughly terrible. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to redeem a code for an item a while back, until I discovered (after much googling) that if you bought the game through Steam, the options available on the account management site actually change depending on whether you go there via the game launcher or you go there directly through the website. The Steam version doesn't include code redemption options.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You used to also had to make two accounts. One for the S-E store, and then the other for the game and it didn't say so anywhere.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Eimi posted:

Now that my combat jobs are all leveled, it's time to get back into working on my crafting crap, and the new changes are just as utterly mystifying to me as getting into original crafting was. Is there any resource that breaks down the basics of these skills that isn't just "hey use this macro?" so I can understand what I'm doing? Even just trying to make items for GC turn ins is a bizarre task now that I can't rely on steady hand + the free skills.
Depends on you level, mostly the newer skills all have a use and a lot of times replace lower level skills even when thay aren't strictly superior. You're still going through a quality phase followed by leaving enough durability and CP to finish progress. Only difference is that you're probably going to be using hasty touch a lot less even at lower levels.

Anything more specific would require knowing your levels, but leveling is trivial now and like I said what you use will change a lot when you get new skills.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My issue when first trying to set up an SE account for the game was that I already had a account from years ago that I had never used and totally forgotten about. SE, unlike every other account creation site in existence, won’t give you a “this email is already connected to an account” message or any sort of indication that you already have one. So I’d put in all my registration info and it would accept it and tell me to click on the confirmation link in the email but it would never actually send an email. This was super frustrating and I only remembered I had an old account after googling and discovering a bunch of others with the same issue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:hai:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Least favorite class found :(

SAM has a move that makes a high-pitched whining sound that hurts my ears and using it on a regular basis hurts. :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

SAM has a move that makes a high-pitched whining sound that hurts my ears and using it on a regular basis hurts. :(

Them's fightin' words. The sound of iaijutsu is extremely anime and job-appropriate.

(I'm not sure which sound you're talking about if it isn't iaijutsu but it's entirely possible I never hear it due to my catgirl's constant "hyaa! =^_^=" noises during combat.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Footage of SAM gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok, so I just did the Vault. I got to say, it was a huge letdown. I was spoiled on Haurchefant dying a good while back. As such I fully expected him to be a big part in the entirety of HW, but it never happened. Like, replace Estinien's part in the story with Haurchefant and I'd be upset at his death. He was just never really there, good character or not. Plenty happened in ARR yes, but that was a long while back.

Nanamo's death and the Raubahn scene was a far more emotional expedition. Not that any of it mattered in the end, what with everything being ok. Just handwave the huge ordeal, everything is good.

Everything else in HW has been a huge treat. Hresvalger giving an eye to Nidhogg? Never saw that coming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can gatherer retainers collect timed node materials? Or do they have unique exploration rewards?

If not, why shouldn't I just go with two combat retainers (yes I am still salty about beast drop ingredients!)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can gatherer retainers collect timed node materials? Or do they have unique exploration rewards?

If not, why shouldn't I just go with two combat retainers (yes I am still salty about beast drop ingredients!)

Some of them (if you’ve already gathered them before) and yes.

I don’t see any reason to have two combat retainers unless you’re paying for extra ones.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Them's fightin' words. The sound of iaijutsu is extremely anime and job-appropriate.

(I'm not sure which sound you're talking about if it isn't iaijutsu but it's entirely possible I never hear it due to my catgirl's constant "hyaa! =^_^=" noises during combat.)

They're not meant to be fighting words! It's just that using iaijusu literally hurts my ears and I don't want to turn the sound effects off for one entire move. :(

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Everybody else's character looks stupid - only my character looks awesome and tough (A Really Cool Guy!)

J
Jun 10, 2001

I think I'm gonna give this game another try after bouncing off it previously. If I'm starting with a tank job how far into the MSQ can I go blind before I should start looking up guides on dungeon mechanics and such? I only got to like level 30 or so.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

J posted:

I think I'm gonna give this game another try after bouncing off it previously. If I'm starting with a tank job how far into the MSQ can I go blind before I should start looking up guides on dungeon mechanics and such? I only got to like level 30 or so.

Go into every dungeon blind imo. Especially starting with heavensward, everything gets telegraphed enough that it only takes maybe one or two times to figure out a mechanic.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

J posted:

Basically never. The only stuff that requires guides is max level difficult stuff.

If you're a new player you will start with a sprout icon, which allows you to get away with failing basically any mechanic. Don't have to worry about it for the most part.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

J posted:

You can get through the entire game without doing any homework like guides or videos, the dungeons and bosses do a great job teaching you mechanics on their own. That, and the MSQ content is dead easy, while any multiplayer instances you're forced into let you get carried by the other 3/7/23 players you're with.

I really would not worry about this kind of thing unless there's some core class mechanic you're just not sure how to utilize (and in most cases the answer there is that it gets used more at later levels).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

J posted:

The only things you ever need to look up guides for are optional high end group content. EX Trials, Savage raids, and Ultimate. Everything else, including normal and alliance raids are easy enough to figure out as you play and are very forgiving. Especially most alliance raids which are tuned such that only like, 1/2 of the group really needs to know what's going on/be alive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do Laurentius and Yuyuhase (end of HW spoilers) die when Ilberd does his summoning at Baelsar's Wall, or are they still unaccounted for?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do Laurentius and Yuyuhase (end of HW spoilers) die when Ilberd does his summoning at Baelsar's Wall, or are they still unaccounted for?
They get captured by the Eorzean Alliance in SB, but nothing more has come from that thread since.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogama posted:

They get captured by the Eorzean Alliance in SB, but nothing more has come from that thread since.
Thanks! I must have missed that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At the end of 4.1, Raubahn says they're in custody and asks what you'd do with them. You can answer execute them or let them stew in prison, and he reacts differently depending. I don't think anything happens to them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

J posted:

Go blind and feel free to say in chat "hey I'm new how do we do this boss", people are in 99% cases happy to say "oh this guy kill the adds first"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Don’t be afraid to mention “hey guys, first time tanking this place. If there’s anything I need to know just let me know”. The community in FFXIV is *very* responsive to stuff like that and super chill.

Edit: Beaten! But good advice nonetheless.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jorge Bell posted:

Everybody else's character looks stupid - only my character looks awesome and tough (A Really Cool Guy!)

Anyone else wearing the Maelstrom jacket also looks awesome and tough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Anyone else wearing the Maelstrom jacket also looks awesome and tough.
Nobody here ever joins the Serpents, but the serpent weapons for lieutenants and captains are really good.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I've been tanking with pretty good success, even with like 150+ ping. Just need to be super on the ball with getting out of AoE and even then since you're a tank you can eat a little bit of poo poo sometimes.
Gunbreaker fun but I want to level my "heh nothin organelle kidd" *saves a kitten orphanage* Dark Knight as soon as possible.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Are there any good solo ways to level these days? I do things like level in MMOs when I'm doing something else such as watching videos (like a lot of people), but these days I've been more distracted than normal, which isn't at all a problem when I'm running around doing quests in WoW or playing a turn-based RPG, but can make things a lot more difficult when trying to do instances and keep up with other people.

Edit: Level alt jobs, I mean. Going through the main story and doing sidequests works well, but can only be done once

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody here ever joins the Serpents, but the serpent weapons for lieutenants and captains are really good.

i love all of the twin adders gear

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Zinkraptor posted:

Are there any good solo ways to level these days? I do things like level in MMOs when I'm doing something else such as watching videos (like a lot of people), but these days I've been more distracted than normal, which isn't at all a problem when I'm running around doing quests in WoW or playing a turn-based RPG, but can make things a lot more difficult when trying to do instances and keep up with other people.

No, not really. The good ways to level are roulettes which require you to engage enough to at least follow the other people and kill the thing they're killing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can't people get away with AFKing in MSQ roulette

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eimi posted:

Generally speaking, crafting skills fall into the following buckets:

- Openers, which can only be used on the first step but are very good at what they do so you should always use one of them.
- Touches, which increase quality with various costs / tradeoffs / availability.
- Synths, which increase progress with various costs / tradeoffs / availability. (Delicate Synthesis also increases quality.)
- Durability restoration / efficiency actions. Master's Mend is instant, the rest are buffs with a duration.
- Other buffs which make it easier to work on quality or progress. Inner Quiet is particularly important here.
- Miscellaneous things which don't bucket cleanly.

Note that if something has a clock on its icon, it doesn't take a step to use (so buffs won't tick down and you can still use an opener afterward if it's the first step).

The general flow is, you use an opener (assuming you're high enough level to have one), do some juggling of durability restoration + touches + synths (with appropriate buff usage) to get quality high/max, progress one synth away from completion, and durability not hitting 0 anywhere in the process. When your quality's maxed or you're out of CP/durability for raising it further, synth to complete the item.

The "do some juggling" is the meat of what the macros are managing and it can't be trivially generalized. You have an increasing number of tools to play with and CP to spend playing with them, so the best option is to do some experimentation crafting things close to your level but with easily obtained ingredients. Turn-ins for the weekly delivery NPCs are a good way to practice.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

J posted:

All of it up until extreme trials and savage raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't find my aetheryte earring in my inventory, I think I accidentally sold or trashed it. Is there any way to restore it?